Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.09.2007, 14:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jo_spain has no particular reputation at present
Notice period and vacations

Hi guys.

I gave notice to my company (3 months). I have some vacations days (about 2 weeks). But my employer said that needs me and I'm not allowed to take them. Is that right?

Someone told me that I can take some time off for interviews once I gave notice. I'm not sure if that is possible.

I dont know much about swiss law, but I'd like to get some advice.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.09.2007, 17:55
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,814
Groaned at 45 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period and vacations

You can take your holiday during notice period but it has to be at a time suited to your employer, if I remember correctly. You can also leverage this time to go to interviews.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.09.2007, 08:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Luzern currently
Posts: 2,565
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 373 Posts
Richard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period and vacations

Quote:
View Post
You can take your holiday during notice period but it has to be at a time suited to your employer, if I remember correctly. You can also leverage this time to go to interviews.
And further your employer can insist that you work your full time and have your holidays paid out, although this is most unusual if you are not in agreement.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.09.2007, 10:12
chiguy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 511
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 322 Times in 190 Posts
chiguy has an excellent reputationchiguy has an excellent reputationchiguy has an excellent reputationchiguy has an excellent reputation
Re: Notice period and vacations

Of course you can always come down with a mysterious illness on days when you schedule interviews...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.09.2007, 10:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Luzern currently
Posts: 2,565
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 373 Posts
Richard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period and vacations

Quote:
View Post
Of course you can always come down with a mysterious illness on days when you schedule interviews...
Which is exactly why employers favour getting the person out of the door. Oh I never mentioned it before. Ask for an interim reference right now, today. This reference must then be a copy of your final reference and they are obliged to produce one quickly. As soon as you have this in your pocket you can start being regularly ill and there is nothing they can do about it ie they cannot produce a worse reference because of what you do in your notice period unless you manage to be instantly dimissed...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.09.2007, 10:18
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Notice period and vacations

It seems a bit odd for a company to force someone to work when they would rather take holidays and save the company a bit of money. I would suggest going into work with a smile and give the task-in-hand the consideration it deserved. Resist the temptation to be "guilted" into stressing yourself out in the final weeks.

dave

Quote:
View Post
And further your employer can insist that you work your full time and have your holidays paid out, although this is most unusual if you are not in agreement.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.09.2007, 10:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Luzern currently
Posts: 2,565
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 373 Posts
Richard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period and vacations

Quote:
View Post
It seems a bit odd for a company to force someone to work when they would rather take holidays and save the company a bit of money. I would suggest going into work with a smile and give the task-in-hand the consideration it deserved. Resist the temptation to be "guilted" into stressing yourself out in the final weeks.

dave
But get the interim reference first...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.09.2007, 11:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Baden
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ktdt77 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Notice period and vacations

I see a different problem. I have also given notice to my employer... i would like to work my notice period. However my employer is insisiting on taking all holidays which is a good amount of money if paid out.

Can employer insist to finish your holidays in the notice period.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.10.2007, 23:00
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zug
Posts: 165
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts
baris has no particular reputation at present
Re: Notice period and vacations

A bump to the thread and a similar question I cannot find answered on the internets:

Do you have to state the notice period in your official resignation letter or is it already assumed since it's in the contract?

Quote:
View Post
I see a different problem. I have also given notice to my employer... i would like to work my notice period. However my employer is insisiting on taking all holidays which is a good amount of money if paid out.

Can employer insist to finish your holidays in the notice period.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this notice for me to leave my apartment correct? Mavis Housing in general 7 13.08.2007 16:59
Health Insurance period expriring jamesWtc Insurance 1 21.04.2007 17:51
Apartment Notice Thirsty Housing in general 2 24.03.2007 21:39
Notice period--Is it negotiable? Ella Employment 3 06.03.2007 10:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0