Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.07.2011, 06:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Geneva/Annemasse
Posts: 33
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Lost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthy
Switzerland VS Southern California

Hello
I am writing this to get your opinion about what you think would be better
At the moment I am living in Southern California working in IT, salary for what I do is between 90K and over 100K a year.
It is nice and great weather here, but Swiss and Europe has great appeal, proximity to great European destination, Swiss Order, Security vs degrading economy here.Still it is great here people are nice and friendly very social.
What I am looking for is combination being able to make good money save, and prosper eventually do some side business, and being able to have frequent vacations. Deciding between California and Swiss is pretty tough
Thanks for your thoughts
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13.07.2011, 06:26
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Could you ask a *specific* question? Otherwise, there are plenty of threads on people's general impressions (as you've noticed from your own post history) about life here, about working here, about starting a business here, etc.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank phdoofus for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 13.07.2011, 06:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Geneva/Annemasse
Posts: 33
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Lost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthy
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Quote:
View Post
Could you ask a *specific* question? Otherwise, there are plenty of threads on people's general impressions (as you've noticed from your own post history) about life here, about working here, about starting a business here, etc.
Sorry you are right, most likely I had too many bacardis , What I meant by posting is combination of making money and having nice life style
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13.07.2011, 07:36
peterg
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California



How long will it be before someone posts from a restaurant: "I can't decide between the cheesecake and the fruit tart. Can someone advise?"
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 13.07.2011, 07:42
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Quote:
View Post


How long will it be before someone posts from a restaurant: "I can't decide between the cheesecake and the fruit tart. Can someone advise?"
Cheesecake! It's a no brainer.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 13.07.2011, 08:11
ground's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Exquisite AG
Posts: 274
Groaned at 59 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 159 Times in 81 Posts
ground has earned some respectground has earned some respect
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Very simple

http://www.google.de/search?q=girls+...ed=0CBoQ_AUoAQ

VS

http://www.google.de/search?q=girls+...ed=0CAsQ_AUoAQ
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ground for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 20.07.2011, 17:42
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vaud
Posts: 17
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
data has made some interesting contributions
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Having lived myself both in California (Los Angeles) and Switzerland I can give you a (subjective) comparison. Up to you to make a decision

California:

Pros
* weather
* convenience
* good service in shops and restaurants
* opening hours of shops
* good food (this is perhaps local to Los Angeles)
* much more choice food/consumer goods/etc... than Switzerland

Cons
* The big one and other big earthquakes. But being prepared helps
* You need a car for (almost) everything (unless you work and live in Santa Monica)
* Generally more noisy than Switzerland (I am talking about the greater LA area)
* Further away from nature. Its there you just need to drive more when living in LA
* Public schools. Generally there is a correlation between the price of a house and the quality of the (public) school it is nearby.
* Less social services. Which is not a problem if you have a job of course.
* Too many commercials about medication (and how sick you can be)


Switzerland:

Pros
* You do not always need a car for everything
* Public transportation is generally speaking great
* Excellent hiking and cycling opportunities (in the lake Geneva area)
* Good social services if you work here a while. Have not tested this but the brochure I read seems to indicate it.
* Generally good public schools
* No commercials during my favourite shows on public television (I like to watch CSI, Castle, NCIS, etc..

Cons
* Shops close early and do not open in weekend
* Lack of competition between shops
* Lack of service
* Generally more expensive than California
* You need to learn a new language (not really a con but it takes some time). Ony you learned it it is actually a pro.
* If you are an American you have to deal with the whole double taxation issue each year (filing your taxes twice ).
* Weather. It can be gloomy in the Geneva area, although there is also June Gloom in Los Angeles.
* Getting localized search results in Google This is pretty annoying but can be easily fixed with a VPN.
* Security. Generally I find Geneva less secure than the places I visit in Los Angeles (this does not include east LA of course).


For both regions I find:

* Housing is very expensive but must admit that Switerland is worse than California.

Hope this helps a bit.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank data for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 20.07.2011, 21:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Geneva/Annemasse
Posts: 33
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Lost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthy
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Thanks for your input I agree with most of your points,but I am not sure about rental expenses, I live in San Diego and decent 1br apartment here is around 2K a month, of course it offers swimming pool and fitness and etc but still it is very expensive.
I would add to all the Swiss benefits is proximity to all European great cities and places to visit


Quote:
View Post
Having lived myself both in California (Los Angeles) and Switzerland I can give you a (subjective) comparison. Up to you to make a decision

California:

Pros
* weather
* convenience
* good service in shops and restaurants
* opening hours of shops
* good food (this is perhaps local to Los Angeles)
* much more choice food/consumer goods/etc... than Switzerland

Cons
* The big one and other big earthquakes. But being prepared helps
* You need a car for (almost) everything (unless you work and live in Santa Monica)
* Generally more noisy than Switzerland (I am talking about the greater LA area)
* Further away from nature. Its there you just need to drive more when living in LA
* Public schools. Generally there is a correlation between the price of a house and the quality of the (public) school it is nearby.
* Less social services. Which is not a problem if you have a job of course.
* Too many commercials about medication (and how sick you can be)


Switzerland:

Pros
* You do not always need a car for everything
* Public transportation is generally speaking great
* Excellent hiking and cycling opportunities (in the lake Geneva area)
* Good social services if you work here a while. Have not tested this but the brochure I read seems to indicate it.
* Generally good public schools
* No commercials during my favourite shows on public television (I like to watch CSI, Castle, NCIS, etc..

Cons
* Shops close early and do not open in weekend
* Lack of competition between shops
* Lack of service
* Generally more expensive than California
* You need to learn a new language (not really a con but it takes some time). Ony you learned it it is actually a pro.
* If you are an American you have to deal with the whole double taxation issue each year (filing your taxes twice ).
* Weather. It can be gloomy in the Geneva area, although there is also June Gloom in Los Angeles.
* Getting localized search results in Google This is pretty annoying but can be easily fixed with a VPN.
* Security. Generally I find Geneva less secure than the places I visit in Los Angeles (this does not include east LA of course).


For both regions I find:

* Housing is very expensive but must admit that Switerland is worse than California.

Hope this helps a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20.07.2011, 21:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Geneva/Annemasse
Posts: 33
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Lost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthy
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

OH I forgot to add another thing US Dollar is getting weaker and weaker
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.07.2011, 21:46
tearley's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne (Vaud)
Posts: 428
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 190 Posts
tearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputation
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your input I agree with most of your points,but I am not sure about rental expenses, I live in San Diego and decent 1br apartment here is around 2K a month, of course it offers swimming pool and fitness and etc but still it is very expensive.
I would add to all the Swiss benefits is proximity to all European great cities and places to visit
My husband and I were in Pasadena before moving to Switzerland and you'll find that the prices for rent are not that different. Something else to factor in is that it's not "summer all the time" in Switzerland, but I find the summers in Cali to be a little chilly and gloomy anyway (June gloom!) after living in GA. But I guess the answer to this question may also lie in what you like to do for fun. If you love to cycle and ski like me and my husband, you'll freak out in Switzerland. Cali also has a lot of natural beauty, but you have to drive forever.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20.07.2011, 21:51
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your input I agree with most of your points,but I am not sure about rental expenses, I live in San Diego and decent 1br apartment here is around 2K a month, of course it offers swimming pool and fitness and etc but still it is very expensive.
I would add to all the Swiss benefits is proximity to all European great cities and places to visit
2K a month with swimming pool and fitness and etc......if you're coming here you should totally forget about this.....it's a sin to have those facilities in CH

In a nutshell, if you want to come here, i'm willing to trade my whole life here for South California life style even at lower rates and i will even offer you the furniture in my apartment....nothing is better than space, ocean and freedom.........we only live once and i don't wanna be so depressed in mine
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mowvich for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 20.07.2011, 22:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Geneva/Annemasse
Posts: 33
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Lost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthy
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Hmmm, I don't know what to say but lots of people claim to be depressed in Switzerland, I have no clue why,my reasons not to be depressed in Swiss:
Clean and safe country
Superb facilities
Best of EU withing driving distance
Natural beauty of Switzerland
Available employement
One of the Highest salaries in the world

Really hard to not love Swiss

Quote:
View Post
2K a month with swimming pool and fitness and etc......if you're coming here you should totally forget about this.....it's a sin to have those facilities in CH

In a nutshell, if you want to come here, i'm willing to trade my whole life here for South California life style even at lower rates and i will even offer you the furniture in my apartment....nothing is better than space, ocean and freedom.........we only live once and i don't wanna be so depressed in mine
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lost2011 for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 20.07.2011, 22:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Heimberg/Thun
Posts: 72
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
nlee24 has earned some respectnlee24 has earned some respect
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Hmm... San Diego or Switzerland... Having lived in SD, I know how great it is there. You've got the beach, the fun downtown, Balboa, a multitude of restaurants, etc. I miss the beach and the ocean.

Some things to know about Switzerland, it's expensive. I'm not just talking about rent, but groceries. Eating out tends to be expensive and not all that great. So if you don't know how to cook, it's time to learn. Variety at the stores are limited. Health insurance is mandatory and not covered by employers (except for accident insurance). Public transit is convenient and timely, but expect to pay. The Swiss are sticklers for the rules. I'm sure if you check out some of the threads, you'll see that they can be passive aggressive in how they handle your breaking of the rules. Stores close at 6 pm and aren't open on Sundays. With the cost of living, don't expect to save a lot.

On the other hand, it's beautiful here. Being here will make you appreciate nature (beacuse there's not much else to do on Sunday but go hiking or enjoy other outdoor activities). The rest of Europe is at your finger tips. Life slows its pace (maybe this is just me) and there isn't this crazy rush that I felt in the US.

I can say that I'm happy I made the move to Switzerland, but I miss Target, Costco, the beach, good ethnic food (say goodbye to Mexican food if you move here), being able to shop after 6pm, In n Out.. to name a few things.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank nlee24 for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 20.07.2011, 22:27
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,200
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Quote:
View Post
(...)
What I am looking for is combination being able to make good money save, and prosper eventually do some side business, and being able to have frequent vacations. Deciding between California and Swiss is pretty tough
Thanks for your thoughts
1) frequent vacations means go to Europe.
2) if you relocate to Switzerland choose carefully the city you want to live & work in. I would not recommend Geneva. Rather go for Zurich area:
--> housing
--> taxes
--> order & security is more on the swiss-german side.

3) what do you need for a good apartment in geneva?
a miracle !
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 20.07.2011, 22:31
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Quote:
View Post
Hmmm, I don't know what to say but lots of people claim to be depressed in Switzerland, I have no clue why,my reasons not to be depressed in Swiss:
Clean and safe country------Not Always
Superb facilities-----Not Always
Best of EU withing driving distance------YES
Natural beauty of Switzerland------YES
Available employement-----Not Always
One of the Highest salaries in the world-----You have high salary with the right hand and spend most of it in basics with the left hand, quality + customer care + life style is not even close to being as good as many other locations i've been too.

Really hard to not love Swiss
If i didn't have strong reasons to stay here, i would have happily left sometime time ago.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mowvich for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 20.07.2011, 22:32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Geneva/Annemasse
Posts: 33
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Lost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthy
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Ok I love Mexican Food, so there is no business people who open some sort of even mexican food stand and fill the void? , Or Swiss prevent competition ?
I was hoping to do all the nice things that swiss has to offer and save more than I can save in Cali


Quote:
View Post
Hmm... San Diego or Switzerland... Having lived in SD, I know how great it is there. You've got the beach, the fun downtown, Balboa, a multitude of restaurants, etc. I miss the beach and the ocean.

Some things to know about Switzerland, it's expensive. I'm not just talking about rent, but groceries. Eating out tends to be expensive and not all that great. So if you don't know how to cook, it's time to learn. Variety at the stores are limited. Health insurance is mandatory and not covered by employers (except for accident insurance). Public transit is convenient and timely, but expect to pay. The Swiss are sticklers for the rules. I'm sure if you check out some of the threads, you'll see that they can be passive aggressive in how they handle your breaking of the rules. Stores close at 6 pm and aren't open on Sundays. With the cost of living, don't expect to save a lot.

On the other hand, it's beautiful here. Being here will make you appreciate nature (beacuse there's not much else to do on Sunday but go hiking or enjoy other outdoor activities). The rest of Europe is at your finger tips. Life slows its pace (maybe this is just me) and there isn't this crazy rush that I felt in the US.

I can say that I'm happy I made the move to Switzerland, but I miss Target, Costco, the beach, good ethnic food (say goodbye to Mexican food if you move here), being able to shop after 6pm, In n Out.. to name a few things.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 20.07.2011, 22:33
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dietikon, Switzerland
Posts: 210
Groaned at 10 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 16 Posts
crfesi is considered knowledgeablecrfesi is considered knowledgeablecrfesi is considered knowledgeable
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

I am from San Diego and live in Zurich area. I would prefer to live in Cali. Most for weather, beaches, social life. It is difficult here w. language barrier, lack of friends and cost of everything. If you have a very high paying job here, you can probably save more (I don't). I miss my social life the most. It's too expensive to go out often here. Say a $22 martini verses a $9 one. Most things are double cost here although you can find cheap places to shop once you live here a while.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank crfesi for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 20.07.2011, 22:38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Geneva/Annemasse
Posts: 33
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Lost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthyLost2011 is considered unworthy
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

I am not sure about what is considered high paying job in Switzerland but I heard that for what I do I can get paid around 800 ch a day on a contract, it sounds great but not sure how it translates lets say to 450$ a day in SoCal

Quote:
View Post
I am from San Diego and live in Zurich area. I would prefer to live in Cali. Most for weather, beaches, social life. It is difficult here w. language barrier, lack of friends and cost of everything. If you have a very high paying job here, you can probably save more (I don't). I miss my social life the most. It's too expensive to go out often here. Say a $22 martini verses a $9 one. Most things are double cost here although you can find cheap places to shop once you live here a while.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 20.07.2011, 22:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Heimberg/Thun
Posts: 72
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
nlee24 has earned some respectnlee24 has earned some respect
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

Quote:
View Post
Ok I love Mexican Food, so there is no business people who open some sort of even mexican food stand and fill the void? , Or Swiss prevent competition ?
I was hoping to do all the nice things that swiss has to offer and save more than I can save in Cali
I love Mexican food too. There's nothing here that can fill that void. If you know how to make it yourself, great, but some ingredients (like poblano) are nearly impossible to come by. Even if I did find a Mexican place, simple tacos would probably cost 15chf. Heck, going to Burger King and getting a whopper with fries and a drink is 15chf (note: not US$).

Unless you make loads more, you're definitely not going to save more. Besides, even if you did make more, you'd be spending it on the train or airfare and hotel of whatever place you're planning on visiting for the weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 20.07.2011, 22:46
J_T's Avatar
J_T J_T is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: near Bern
Posts: 1,080
Groaned at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,175 Times in 523 Posts
J_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland VS Southern California

There's Desperado in Bern and Mexican Bar in Boll, have you tried either (I haven't).

OP, Switzerland can't be compared to California and visa-verso. If you are thinking of Switzerland, maybe visit first. Switzerland and Europe have a tremendous amount to offer, but if you are coming mainly for the salary without a high interest in the European experience, it might not work out for you so well.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving from California to Switzerland 2x2 Other/general 8 16.06.2010 14:49
From Southern California to Zurich zuritopia Introductions 6 31.10.2009 18:14
Intending to move from Southern California to CH HBSurfer Introductions 2 20.10.2009 03:02
From California to Basel, Switzerland Danicav Introductions 4 23.05.2007 20:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0