Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.07.2011, 20:47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: N/A
Posts: 65
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Beam has no particular reputation at present
Suggestions for Jobs with No German

Hi,

Can anyone suggest jobs that can be got without having any command of German or Swiss German (this person is a native English speaker). I'm asking on behalf of someone who is very much intending to learn German asap. However, for the moment they need some income even just temporarily so they can remain in Switzerland. This person is normally a chef but has found that even for the most basic positions such as kitchen porter its often been a prerequisite to speak German. Please note I am not intending to give out any more details of this person as its against the rules to advertise here, the point of this post is only to seek advice.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19.07.2011, 20:52
absami's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: schlieren
Posts: 41
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
absami has no particular reputation at present
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

did he try to go to he RAV,to ask if they can do something?or to have free german lessons?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19.07.2011, 21:20
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

The RAV stopped handing out free German lessons a long time ago.

My best advice is to go back, learn German and try again. There are very few jobs with no German or French required, and these are passed around among friends. With basic German he could work as a cleaner.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 19.07.2011, 21:27
JAPP's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Luzern
Posts: 146
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 71 Times in 27 Posts
JAPP has no particular reputation at present
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

What area of Switzerland/Canton does your friend wish to work in? There are plenty of season jobs for English speaking people in the mountains during the Winter.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19.07.2011, 22:24
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

I'd think you'll struggle in the middle. There are loads of jobs around the McDonalds level with very basic language requirements - you could learn enough German to complete the forms and take orders in a week. There are also a load of jobs in the senior IT/Private Banking level which won't ask you to speak German if you're English client facing, or the corporate language is English.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19.07.2011, 22:44
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

Can anyone suggest jobs that can be got without having any command of German or Swiss German (this person is a native English speaker). I'm asking on behalf of someone who is very much intending to learn German asap. However, for the moment they need some income even just temporarily so they can remain in Switzerland. This person is normally a chef but has found that even for the most basic positions such as kitchen porter its often been a prerequisite to speak German. Please note I am not intending to give out any more details of this person as its against the rules to advertise here, the point of this post is only to seek advice.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
We are asked to find a job immediately for an English speaking chef, without any local language.

Unless he can find a kitchen working in English, the prospects are extremely thin.

I never realized that all those highly paid financial jobs never required any relevant qualifications: silly me I didn't know that you just had to speak English to work in finance.

I spent over 3 years unemployed in the cantons of Fribourg, Vaud, Geneva and Bern. I met many people like me, who spoke the local language, but nobody who didn't.

I wasn't kidding!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19.07.2011, 22:50
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

Its a long shot but you could try targeting multi national firms that have in-house restaurants, such as UBS, Credit Suisse, Swiss Re. There might be scope for a professional chef in one of these companies and he could get away with English in this environment.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21.07.2011, 12:12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chwitychat has no particular reputation at present
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

I have read through other posts that RAV still sponsors German classes. Though you will need to pass their tests before you are entitled to. But here some say they don't do that anymore. Which is which?

I have been job hunting for 3 months now, I have 6 years IT support operations experience in management position and have had no success. I have been spamming my CV to tens of companies but I cannot even get an interview. It is really depressing since I have a family to support and my husband is the only one working which is generally just enough for us to get by with food, rent and utilities. Some companies directly say I am not considered due to my lack of German skills and some just sends a general template. And these are all muti national companies I am applying for and so I was told that they have English as their working language.

Also I would like to ask about what are the chances of pregnant women getting hired for jobs are. I have a friend also looking for a job and she is on her first trimester. Though her belly is not that obvious, when it eventually shows, will she have the same chances? Do any of you know of anyone being rejected or fired during the first 3 months of working just because they are pregnant?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21.07.2011, 12:14
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

Can anyone suggest jobs that can be got without having any command of German or Swiss German (this person is a native English speaker). I'm asking on behalf of someone who is very much intending to learn German asap. However, for the moment they need some income even just temporarily so they can remain in Switzerland. This person is normally a chef but has found that even for the most basic positions such as kitchen porter its often been a prerequisite to speak German. Please note I am not intending to give out any more details of this person as its against the rules to advertise here, the point of this post is only to seek advice.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
There s loads of jobs in Geneva where you don`t need german
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21.07.2011, 12:38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 351
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 178 Times in 123 Posts
AlreadyPacked has earned some respectAlreadyPacked has earned some respect
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

Quote:
View Post
I have read through other posts that RAV still sponsors German classes. Though you will need to pass their tests before you are entitled to. But here some say they don't do that anymore. Which is which?

I have been job hunting for 3 months now, I have 6 years IT support operations experience in management position and have had no success. I have been spamming my CV to tens of companies but I cannot even get an interview. It is really depressing since I have a family to support and my husband is the only one working which is generally just enough for us to get by with food, rent and utilities. Some companies directly say I am not considered due to my lack of German skills and some just sends a general template. And these are all muti national companies I am applying for and so I was told that they have English as their working language.

Also I would like to ask about what are the chances of pregnant women getting hired for jobs are. I have a friend also looking for a job and she is on her first trimester. Though her belly is not that obvious, when it eventually shows, will she have the same chances? Do any of you know of anyone being rejected or fired during the first 3 months of working just because they are pregnant?

Thanks
Think about doing some contract work rather than full-time, same suggestion for your pregnant friend. Try to find a good agent and let them do the job of contacting the client. Try to find something that you are an expert in and there is a need for. The Swiss like to hire experts, I don't think spamming companies is a good idea, makes you look cheap, and we all know the Swiss don't buy cheap.

You need to change you job hunting approach to the Swiss way of thinking, otherwise you will be looking a long time.

I have worked in Zurich a few times, but for me I have always found it easier to get a job when I was somewhere else and they would bring me in.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.07.2011, 19:58
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 208
Groaned at 20 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 45 Posts
simpa is considered unworthysimpa is considered unworthysimpa is considered unworthysimpa is considered unworthy
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

Quote:
View Post
The RAV stopped handing out free German lessons a long time ago.

My best advice is to go back, learn German and try again. There are very few jobs with no German or French required, and these are passed around among friends. With basic German he could work as a cleaner.

Who said to you RAV stopped offering free German lessons ?

They just offered me free course today
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22.07.2011, 20:07
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 208
Groaned at 20 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 45 Posts
simpa is considered unworthysimpa is considered unworthysimpa is considered unworthysimpa is considered unworthy
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

Quote:
View Post
You need to change you job hunting approach to the Swiss way of thinking, otherwise you will be looking a long time.

I have worked in Zurich a few times, but for me I have always found it easier to get a job when I was somewhere else and they would bring me in.

Looks you got the key of The Swiss door ..

Could you pls advise what is the Swiss hunting way that you did undertand ?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22.07.2011, 20:08
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

Creative jobs like Photography, film making, I have been here 17 years & speak very little. I think I command a premium price because of the novelty factor & they can practice their English.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.07.2011, 19:01
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 14
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 13 Times in 5 Posts
domingo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

Quote:
View Post
Think about doing some contract work rather than full-time, same suggestion for your pregnant friend. Try to find a good agent and let them do the job of contacting the client. Try to find something that you are an expert in and there is a need for. The Swiss like to hire experts, I don't think spamming companies is a good idea, makes you look cheap, and we all know the Swiss don't buy cheap.

You need to change you job hunting approach to the Swiss way of thinking, otherwise you will be looking a long time.

I have worked in Zurich a few times, but for me I have always found it easier to get a job when I was somewhere else and they would bring me in.
Hi AP,

I too would be interested in hearing your thoughts on job hunting the Swiss way. I posted a thread in the Business section "Calling Hotel Managers" which explains a bit my situation. Any insight is appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24.07.2011, 21:23
Joey82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Belgium, formerly Frick AG
Posts: 1,703
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,414 Times in 795 Posts
Joey82 has a reputation beyond reputeJoey82 has a reputation beyond reputeJoey82 has a reputation beyond reputeJoey82 has a reputation beyond reputeJoey82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

Hi Op,

This has been covered loads of times, but check this link here.. i made a list a while ago with 48 companies that i know of who hire or can help you looking for an english speaking job, just to get you started..

From experience.. having an entry level of german before you enter the country is a big help..even then your friend will struggle to find a job but i do wish him or her the best with the job hunt..they are out there, just need to find them and register with the well known job agencies ( see list also).

Hope it helps, best of luck

joey
__________________
Buying or selling a boat worldwide ? check out here
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Joey82 for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 11.11.2011, 09:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
runolist has no particular reputation at present
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

Quote:
View Post
Who said to you RAV stopped offering free German lessons ?

They just offered me free course today

I am wondering, in which position you need to be to get those free German lessons? Do you need to work some time before in CH? I am looking for a job now. We moved from Silicon Valley to CH. My husband got a good job in Zurich, and we decided to be closer to families. I am trying to find something for a year, but no luck (have master degree in chemistry, my work was mostly in inorganic chemistry, on B EG/EFTA visa). My question is should I consider to contact RAV or first I need to have working experience in CH? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11.11.2011, 10:21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
GibMonkey has no particular reputation at present
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

Quote:
View Post
I am wondering, in which position you need to be to get those free German lessons? Do you need to work some time before in CH? I am looking for a job now. We moved from Silicon Valley to CH. My husband got a good job in Zurich, and we decided to be closer to families. I am trying to find something for a year, but no luck (have master degree in chemistry, my work was mostly in inorganic chemistry, on B EG/EFTA visa). My question is should I consider to contact RAV or first I need to have working experience in CH? Thanks so much!

I am waiting for my free German lessons you have to register with the RAV (for this I needed a German translator) and after 3 months of job searching they will send you on a basic course.
Best of Luck to you!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank GibMonkey for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 11.11.2011, 10:49
Me Myself & I's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Züri
Posts: 1,007
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 609 Times in 341 Posts
Me Myself & I has a reputation beyond reputeMe Myself & I has a reputation beyond reputeMe Myself & I has a reputation beyond reputeMe Myself & I has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

I am a hotelier but have struggled to find a management job in Zürich within the hospitality industry as I do not speak the local language fluently. I accept that.

But as a chef, there should be some positions available in international restaurants/bars. Where does your friend come from? In what cuisine does he/she specialize? I would advise your friend to go to pubs and see if any kitchen positions are available. Quite a few employees in such establishments, especially in the kitchen, speak little German. Furthermore, is your friend experienced in any specific ethnic cuisine? He/she should target those restaurants. It's certainly worth a try.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11.11.2011, 11:00
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,023
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,560 Times in 3,148 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

Taxi driver?

I understand it's a requirement not to be able to understand the local tongue to be successful in this profession.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 11.11.2011, 12:15
flow23's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,029
Groaned at 91 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 1,777 Times in 963 Posts
flow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions for Jobs with No German

at lillys in zurich, the speak english within the staff.
he could also ask for a food delivery job. they do it by bicycle
and i think he needs to know zurich well, the orders are made
and a bit of basic german for delivery small talk, credit card payment
issues n stuff.

as a cleaner in a hotel like radisson at the airport or hyatt or any hotel with
international guests the chances are high to get a job with no to little german.

get on the fon and make some calls for him, given you speak german?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestions for hiking with kids? ricardo Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 22 18.07.2019 16:16
No dish allowed - any suggestions Middletay TV/internet/telephone 34 26.07.2011 15:15
Lawyer with no German hoping for job advice katelewandowska Employment 10 27.06.2008 18:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0