Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 16.08.2011, 14:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,940
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,597 Times in 2,882 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: End of RAV

Yes, if you have savings, you are first expected to use these up.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 16.08.2011, 14:58
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
So if we have some saving he will not get a coin...
True, and the reverse as well - if you get money later you will owe the Kanton every rappen you've taken in Sozial (so if you get a job or win money, it will go straight to them, after a few years it can be hundreds of thousands).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 16.08.2011, 15:04
seyon's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Olten
Posts: 471
Groaned at 15 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 128 Times in 74 Posts
seyon is considered knowledgeableseyon is considered knowledgeableseyon is considered knowledgeable
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
lol...amusing!

Make sure your husband gets German lessons, however they're paid for. I understand the RAV only pays till A2 or whatever but 18 months is enough to get further than that. He needs German to reliably find work here - what languages does he speak perfectly? You do not want to be living on sozialamt (or whatever it's called) - there are jobs out there for those willing to work them.
He speaks fluent English and he is native Spanish speaker. His German is not enough for working. And yes, trust me after 18th months is llike that.

And those jobs out there...no one answer him with a possitive feedback, and he is really willing to work! Maybe the German? Maybe the experience? maybe the age? maybe a foreigner? maybe all...but he does not find anything.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 16.08.2011, 15:16
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
He speaks fluent English and he is native Spanish speaker. His German is not enough for working. And yes, trust me after 18th months is llike that.

And those jobs out there...no one answer him with a possitive feedback, and he is really willing to work! Maybe the German? Maybe the experience? maybe the age? maybe a foreigner? maybe all...but he does not find anything.
I'm sure he has - but here's me - I'd much rather sweep floors than go on sozial and have to justify what brand of washing up liquid I use to a bureaucrat in an office somewhere. Has he tried McDonalds? The local cafe? Is going back to Spain an option? I don't want to sound negative but it's important you not only look at the mechanics of benefits but also how crappy it is to go on. If he hasn't found a job in 18 months have you considered what you'll do if he doesn't find a job here in 18 years?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 16.08.2011, 15:33
seyon's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Olten
Posts: 471
Groaned at 15 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 128 Times in 74 Posts
seyon is considered knowledgeableseyon is considered knowledgeableseyon is considered knowledgeable
Re: End of RAV

So, he should just ignore this papers and go on with the search? Or he needs to notify that he will not require the benefits?

Anyone has a job for him? I will pay you a dinner (or a coffee, depending of the job).
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 16.08.2011, 15:34
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,185
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 72 Posts
danny has earned some respectdanny has earned some respect
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
What is next is you / he applies for social welfare payments. Get all relevent paperwork in order and ask at the Kreisbüro if you're not sure what to do. You want to get this process going as soon as possible as the wheels here can often turn slowly and rent day is always around the corner.

Good luck.
That or look at other options outside CH ?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 16.08.2011, 15:39
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
You get a free flight back home.
Does this apply to EUs as well?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 16.08.2011, 15:42
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
Does this apply to EUs as well?
No. Unless you're from Glasgow and you get your own shipping crate.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 16.08.2011, 15:48
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: End of RAV

I was unemployed from the age of 61 to 64. I had 1 job offer which was taken back before I got home! Finally through a friend of a friend I got a job at Swisscom as a temporary office worker in the IT department. I worked for 2 years and was then retired aged 66.

The aspect I am trying to put across is I got the job by networking. If he sits at home reading the situations vacant he only has a 30% chance of finding a job. Has he received a course from the RAV on how to apply for a job? What is his profession? You haven't mentioned it yet, so we can't think of anything for him can we. Do you know that 30% of jobs are never advertised, they go by word of mouth? 40% of jobs are advertised and filled internally. So reading the paper or scanning the Internet will only show about 1 in 3 of the jobs available.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 16.08.2011, 15:55
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
No. Unless you're from Glasgow and you get your own shipping crate.
Damn...if only I was a londoner could get a free crow bar made especially for opening electronic store doors for looting!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 16.08.2011, 16:01
seyon's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Olten
Posts: 471
Groaned at 15 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 128 Times in 74 Posts
seyon is considered knowledgeableseyon is considered knowledgeableseyon is considered knowledgeable
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
I was unemployed from the age of 61 to 64. I had 1 job offer which was taken back before I got home! Finally through a friend of a friend I got a job at Swisscom as a temporary office worker in the IT department. I worked for 2 years and was then retired aged 66.

The aspect I am trying to put across is I got the job by networking. If he sits at home reading the situations vacant he only has a 30% chance of finding a job. Has he received a course from the RAV on how to apply for a job? What is his profession? You haven't mentioned it yet, so we can't think of anything for him can we. Do you know that 30% of jobs are never advertised, they go by word of mouth? 40% of jobs are advertised and filled internally. So reading the paper or scanning the Internet will only show about 1 in 3 of the jobs available.
I know, networking. But it is so dificult when we do not really know many people here.
He is a Phisical Chemist with a PnD and a couple of years in research as a postdoc. You can find many people with this experience 20 years younger... and any other job he doesn't have any experience.
We already try our best with the people we know...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank seyon for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 16.08.2011, 16:03
mojado's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 813
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 801 Times in 357 Posts
mojado has a reputation beyond reputemojado has a reputation beyond reputemojado has a reputation beyond reputemojado has a reputation beyond repute
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
The aspect I am trying to put across is I got the job by networking. If he sits at home reading the situations vacant he only has a 30% chance of finding a job. Has he received a course from the RAV on how to apply for a job? What is his profession? You haven't mentioned it yet, so we can't think of anything for him can we. Do you know that 30% of jobs are never advertised, they go by word of mouth? 40% of jobs are advertised and filled internally. So reading the paper or scanning the Internet will only show about 1 in 3 of the jobs available.available.
It may not be a good timing for buying, but there's a very good book with a lot of tips and strategies for job hunting: "What color is your parachute?"
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mojado for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 16.08.2011, 16:18
seyon's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Olten
Posts: 471
Groaned at 15 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 128 Times in 74 Posts
seyon is considered knowledgeableseyon is considered knowledgeableseyon is considered knowledgeable
Re: End of RAV

downloading?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank seyon for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 16.08.2011, 16:42
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 279 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
I know, networking. But it is so dificult when we do not really know many people here.
He is a Phisical Chemist with a PnD and a couple of years in research as a postdoc. You can find many people with this experience 20 years younger... and any other job he doesn't have any experience.
We already try our best with the people we know...
So he is mid/late 40s - but with effectively only a few years post-doc research. Did he make a career change?

Possible suggestions:

1) Speak to local universities - maybe they need a lab assistant, maybe he can go in and volunteer to give lectures or take tutorials or be a guest speaker??

2) Does he have any special skills away from his PhD that he could use in a job?

Things aren't at their end - you're working - but if you don't want to go onto social (really not ideal) - advertise what he can do and what he has experience of doing. There are always opportunities!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 16.08.2011, 17:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
My husband finish his RAV time (unemployment benefits are over). And we do not know what is next.
Do you know something about? Will he get any more help?
Can he apply for something?
His RAV berater only speaks German and he can not get all this info from her...he is lost. He only got this 2 files attached but we do not understand what they are.
1st:
Kein Anspruch auf Arbeitslosenentschddigung oder Arbeitslosenentschdaigung ausgeschiipft
2nd:
Gesuch um Zustimmung zum Kursbesuch

Thanks in advance
If you receive money from Sozialamt you don't have to pay it back unless you hit the lottery or something. If you get a job (which they prefer) they're not going to ask you to pay money back. If money was loaned to you from the Sozialamt (I don't know if they have this) then yes you would have to pay it back. Other than that in a way it's "free" money, that's why it's so hard to receive it. But it's free only if you are willing to "sell your soul" so to speak...Good Luck
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 16.08.2011, 18:04
stephen_NE's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luzern
Posts: 1,512
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1,594 Times in 758 Posts
stephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: End of RAV

Just to re-iterate Ittigen's question: has he done the three-week course that the RAV offers on job-hunting techniques? I am in the middle of it at the moment, and I have to say that I am quite impressed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank stephen_NE for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 16.08.2011, 18:49
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
Just to re-iterate Ittigen's question: has he done the three-week course that the RAV offers on job-hunting techniques? I am in the middle of it at the moment, and I have to say that I am quite impressed.
Is this also offered in english?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 16.08.2011, 19:00
stephen_NE's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luzern
Posts: 1,512
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1,594 Times in 758 Posts
stephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
Is this also offered in english?
Here in Neuchâtel it's only offered in French; however, there is at least one person in the class who is doing all the exercises (creating CVs, motivation letters, etc) in English, as all the jobs he is applying for request applications in English. The course itself is all in French though, and the teacher said that at least B2 level was a prerequisite for non native speakers.

May be different in Zürich, you would have to ask your local RAV office.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 16.08.2011, 20:13
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Biel/Bienne
Posts: 214
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Kalli has no particular reputation at present
Re: End of RAV

Has he asked about the BNF program? You need to have approval from your RAV advisor, but it's a program for academic/scientists where you go on a work experience placement for 3 or 6 months depending on your canton. You also get the chance to go to free courses, (writing cv, effective applications, interview skills, communication, networking etc) and is not usually a problem if you have only limited German as you're in a scientific environment so English is acceptable. You also get to meet people who work in your field and who know people in industry or at least can suggest places for you to apply to.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Kalli for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 16.08.2011, 21:01
coconut's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurichberg
Posts: 738
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,000 Times in 405 Posts
coconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: End of RAV

Quote:
View Post
And you have to pay it back once you get a job or inheritance.

Tom
Quote:
View Post
Not true. You have to pay it back when your situation has improved. If you get a crap job you can wait a bit longer for the payment slips.
To be able to apply for social help you must prove that you are in such situation that you need it. for example first they check if your spouse (meaning you) works, anybody else in the family works, how much they make per month etc. If you have any account here or anywhere in the world you must provide a copy of the last 6 months of your bank statements. (just in case someone wants to "last minute" withdraw any savings)
They have a estimate of how much a family needs for living, for example i know that a
single person gets per month (1100 max. for rent, basic insurance and medical bills, and some money for expenses, vary per person age etc.)
a family of 4 gets (1800 rent, insurance of the 4 and medical bills, around 2000 per month for food and other bills)
a single person with 2 kids (1600 for rent, around 1800 per month for food and bills, all insurance and medical bills)
and so on, they will tell you according to your family what they will pay.
If you have savings or one of the spouse works, then they will give you exactly the amount you lack. ie. if they say you need 6000 per month and the spouse makes 5800 they will give you 200.

Regarding the permit, i has to do a lot with the basis of the permit.
when migration reviews your file when applying for extension, they will deny if you are in social help, but if you have a eu spouse then it might be different.
Also being in social help will make his diplomas look less important for them, meaning that they will make him pressure to take just any job available to help downsize what they pay.

In my experience they are very respectful and try to use every resource to help the family, the stigma of getting social help lies more in the society and because of some people who abuses of it. In my case I wish to work as soon as possible but they want me to wait a bit more for the kids. i am working on the german lessons, integration etc.

i hope it helped a bit and didnt confuse you even more.

regarding giving back, i did ask my arbeterin and she said in cases like wining the lottery or getting just rich.... or even living in ch with 120k other than that, they wont ask money back.
__________________
Best Zürich salon for Nails, Feet & Shellac, LUXIO, OPI click HERE
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank coconut for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting new job and end of RAV benefits mamazurich Employment 11 16.12.2015 11:17
Instead of going on RAV - need advise pls joceline Employment 2 06.02.2010 14:34
End of an era (closure of The Corkscrew) Guest General off-topic 18 12.11.2008 12:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0