Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.08.2011, 11:20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 38
Groaned at 22 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
TheAvenger has no particular reputation at present
Changing Notice Period for AD at UBS

Hello guys,

I recently accepted a job at UBS, AD rank. Unfortunately the job is not what I was told it would be and with all the current problems around UBS, I would like to look around for other possibilities.

However my test period will soon be over and as an AD I will have three months notice period. I was wondering if it is possible to make a personal change in the contract and set a one month notice period so that if I find another suitable position, I can change faster.

Has anyone discussed such an option with his/her line manager or HR and with what success?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25.08.2011, 11:22
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing Notice Period for AD at UBS

Sorry, but what's "AD"? Not all of us are wbankers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25.08.2011, 11:23
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Changing Notice Period for AD at UBS

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, but what's "AD"? Not all of us are wbankers.

Associate Director. It's three below Wing Commander.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 25.08.2011, 11:23
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,415
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 10,952 Times in 3,253 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing Notice Period for AD at UBS

Quote:
I was wondering if it is possible to make a personal change in the contract and set a one month notice period so that if I find another suitable position, I can change faster.

Has anyone discussed such an option with his/her line manager or HR and with what success?
Let's think a minute. If you were HR and a new employee made this request, would you accede? Why? What's in it for the company?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25.08.2011, 11:24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 38
Groaned at 22 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
TheAvenger has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing Notice Period for AD at UBS

AD is a rank in UBS (the lowest officer rank). It defines most of the contract rules, e.g. notice period, which is three months for AD. So the question is if a personal agreement can be reached to change it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25.08.2011, 11:27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 38
Groaned at 22 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
TheAvenger has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing Notice Period for AD at UBS

Quote:
View Post
Let's think a minute. If you were HR and a new employee made this request, would you accede? Why? What's in it for the company?
I am not hiding my disappointment - I talked with my line manager, I talked with HR and I talked with social counseling. They all told me that I should not expect a change and if I want I can look for another job, internal or external.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25.08.2011, 11:29
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Changing Notice Period for AD at UBS

Quote:
View Post
Let's think a minute. If you were HR and a new employee made this request, would you accede? Why? What's in it for the company?
Not a lot but generally if the staff member is worth keeping longer, they'll make small changes to a contract. Better to keep someone useful for a year with a one month notice period than for three months with a three month notice period. Although big companies aren't as flexible as they probably should be in this regard.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 25.08.2011, 11:30
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,415
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 10,952 Times in 3,253 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing Notice Period for AD at UBS

Quote:
View Post
I am not hiding my disappointment - I talked with my line manager, I talked with HR and I talked with social counseling. They all told me that I should not expect a change and if I want I can look for another job, internal or external.
OK, so they know you're looking.

Still - how do they benefit from letting you change the terms of your contract? Notice periods exist for a reason, so you need to make a good case that the company's interest would be served by shortening yours.

That case, as near as I can see it, is going to have to be "better no employee than an unhappy employee" - in which case, well, you did mention you're still in your trial period.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25.08.2011, 11:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 38
Groaned at 22 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
TheAvenger has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing Notice Period for AD at UBS

Quote:
View Post
OK, so they know you're looking.

Still - how do they benefit from letting you change the terms of your contract? Notice periods exist for a reason, so you need to make a good case that the company's interest would be served by shortening yours.

That case, as near as I can see it, is going to have to be "better no employee than an unhappy employee" - in which case, well, you did mention you're still in your trial period.
I see and understand your point. That's why I haven't asked yet. I have the option to be a "no employee" immediately (one week notice until the end of the test period), I don't have to wait three months.

Generally notice period is to protect both sides, in Switzerland it is even often more for the employee (e.g. a lot of people who have to leave UBS don't even work their notice period, they just get money for three months).

As for the benefit: In my case there is some if I stay because I am working on a project that is till November. So if I go now, they will have to find somebody to finish the project. Instead I can finish it and quit e.g. end of November. It's another question if HR will ever think/ask about that.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Negotiating Salary for AD at UBS TheAvenger Employment 65 12.04.2022 21:57
Working during notice period for other employer red_conundrum Employment 13 18.11.2010 14:22
Handing your notice in after the notice period Guest Employment 13 08.03.2010 16:27
Work for another company during notice period Guest Employment 5 06.07.2009 11:35
Minimum notice period for monthly-paid contract worker? RolandRB Employment 1 25.02.2008 10:10


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0