Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 08.11.2011, 17:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Magda91 has no particular reputation at present
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

The contract says one thing, but this lady treats her au pair like 24hours non stop available help, without any extra money/days off.

'You're not available? We can say goodbye to each other'.


How many times children hit me, told me Im worse, just because my religion is not their religion?

'Why are you eating MY food?'
'You are nothing, I dont have to listen to you'
'I want you to be dead'

Ive heard many of those from children. Not once. Told parents right afterwards.
Nothing has changed.


I also have been told that I was stealing. But she had no time to report me to the police
  #62  
Old 08.11.2011, 18:02
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,015
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 6,837 Times in 2,059 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Would you care to comment on Magda's post Mrs Powerlauer?
  #63  
Old 08.11.2011, 19:25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maschwanden nr. Mettmenstetten
Posts: 83
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 34 Posts
cazzamia is considered knowledgeablecazzamia is considered knowledgeablecazzamia is considered knowledgeable
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Quote:
View Post
Would you care to comment on Magda's post Mrs Powerlauer?
Methinks Mrs Powerlauer will have left the building.....

Magda - as Oldhand correctly states, you are better off out of it. Hopefully your new family will provide you with a better experience. Take what you have learnt from this 'partnership' and ensure it doesn't happen to you again.

Make sure your contract includes all expected duties so that you have something to refer to if extra demands are being placed on you that you are not happy with. It is also important to speak to your employer as soon as this occurs as failure to do so can be seen as acceptance on your part, which then starts the whole vicious cycle of unhappy au-pair/unhappy host family etc etc.

Good luck anyway.
The following 3 users would like to thank cazzamia for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 08.11.2011, 19:30
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,105
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Among the many discrepancies here, one more thing puzzles me - how did Magda find this Thread?

Last edited by Longbyt; 10.11.2011 at 05:50. Reason: I knew that word 'disparances' seemed funny. I think I invented it.
This user would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 08.11.2011, 19:33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Magda91 has no particular reputation at present
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Quote:
View Post
Among the many discrepancies here, one more thing puzzles me - how did Magda find this Thread?
I knew this lady's nick on this forum.
The picture shows her daughter.

Simple.

One doesnt have to be stupid to find out.

Last edited by Longbyt; 10.11.2011 at 05:52. Reason: Corrected word in the quote.
  #66  
Old 08.11.2011, 19:34
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,321
Groaned at 168 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,237 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Quote:
View Post
Among the many discrepancies here, one more thing puzzles me - how did Magda find this Thread?
The timing - shortly after the OP asked for the thread to be closed - is perhaps an indicator. I would guess the OP realized the au pair was clued into the thread somehow.... But at any rate, I expect it will get fun now.

Last edited by Longbyt; 10.11.2011 at 05:53. Reason: Corrected word in the quote (I seem to have invented the original one myself!)
  #67  
Old 08.11.2011, 19:41
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,105
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Quote:
View Post
I knew this lady's nick on this forum.
The picture shows her daughter.

Simple.

One doesnt have to be stupid to find out.
Quite honestly, this doesn't answer the question I didn't ask. I sit next to Mr L when I'm on my computer and he is on his, but I haven't a clue what name he uses on web sites when he is logged in. Did the lady tell you her User name? Do you use the same computer? Which picture shows her daughter?

Not that it really matters...
  #68  
Old 08.11.2011, 20:14
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Luzern
Posts: 174
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 58 Posts
a.j.b is considered knowledgeablea.j.b is considered knowledgeablea.j.b is considered knowledgeable
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Quote:
View Post
Quite honestly, this doesn't answer the question I didn't ask. I sit next to Mr L when I'm on my computer and he is on his, but I haven't a clue what name he uses on web sites when he is logged in. Did the lady tell you her User name? Do you use the same computer? Which picture shows her daughter?

Not that it really matters...
Having read many of your posts before I am a bit disappointed in your detective skills this time round Mrs Longbyt

Seek and you shall find all on the public profile I believe, perhaps even a probable family name.... Perhaps too much detail (for my own preference of keeping my annomity) for a public forum so won't list it here again on the thread and maybe Powerlauer has a chance to remove their details from their public profile if they don't wish to be associated with this thread offline anymore.
  #69  
Old 08.11.2011, 20:30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 58
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 17 Posts
kbill has made some interesting contributions
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Quote:
View Post
I have to say I was surprised that both you and kbill seem less concerned about the baby/kids and more concerned about the Aupair. I realise it can be hard being an Aupair and sometimes Aupairs and families do not work. However in the end the childrens welfare is the priority surely?
As a professionally trained nanny with almost 20 years experience i couldn't agree more, but at no point does the OP state she is concerned for the welfare of her children. It seems that for many months she was happy to keep her Aupair and it is only now that her Aupair wishes to leave, the problems (of hairspray) have arisen.

This sounds like a whole bunch of sour grapes to me!
The following 7 users would like to thank kbill for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 08.11.2011, 23:24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 66
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 56 Times in 38 Posts
goshiki has earned some respectgoshiki has earned some respect
Quote:
View Post
As a professionally trained nanny with almost 20 years experience i couldn't agree more, but at no point does the OP state she is concerned for the welfare of her children. It seems that for many months she was happy to keep her Aupair and it is only now that her Aupair wishes to leave, the problems (of hairspray) have arisen.

This sounds like a whole bunch of sour grapes to me!
If you read my whole post you would know I was referring to the newborn.

Hence why I mentioned it, since both of you have been stated in various places on the forum that you have been nannies.

Of course you would then agree that looking after a newborn is a huge difference to looking after a toddler and again kids.

Both of you are telling her to get over her sour grapes and leave the aupair and her new family alone.

I am surprised how the back and forth is going on. Parents vs aupairs vs no parents on the forum.

I agree the responsibility of the newborn does not lie with the OP. From my perspective, at least she considered it.
  #71  
Old 08.11.2011, 23:36
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,746
Groaned at 75 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Seems you are really unlucky Powerlauer, having all your au pairs steal from you...

Bizarre thefts
  #72  
Old 08.11.2011, 23:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 66
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 56 Times in 38 Posts
goshiki has earned some respectgoshiki has earned some respect
Quote:
View Post
Methinks Mrs Powerlauer will have left the building.....

Magda - as Oldhand correctly states, you are better off out of it. Hopefully your new family will provide you with a better experience. Take what you have learnt from this 'partnership' and ensure it doesn't happen to you again.

Make sure your contract includes all expected duties so that you have something to refer to if extra demands are being placed on you that you are not happy with. It is also important to speak to your employer as soon as this occurs as failure to do so can be seen as acceptance on your part, which then starts the whole vicious cycle of unhappy au-pair/unhappy host family etc etc.

Good luck anyway.
I hope your crusade does not put many families off choosing Aupairs. If I had not had that foot in the door I would not be here today.

Many of us have had the joy of living a full and enriched life here in Switzerland by getting a chance. My Aupairing days where hell. I worked alot longer hours for less money than the job adds you are criticizing. I worked my butt off. I can't say i loved the work, but the kids. Yes, i loved them. I did it until I could get into the market place.

Oh and just for the record. I worked my notice period even though I nearly lost the new job because I could not start sooner. The mom stayed at home all day, so I could have walked. That is not how it works for me, i dis my 3 months, I finished what I started.

I am grateful for that opportunity. It has opened so many doors for me. It also allowed me to look after my family at home. Lots of Aupairs look after family at home. No their own kids, but rather parents and grand parents etc.

Don't forget to look at it from both sides.
This user would like to thank goshiki for this useful post:
  #73  
Old 09.11.2011, 07:23
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,015
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 6,837 Times in 2,059 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Which doesn't mean that all au pairs should work too many hours for terrible wages.

Perhaps some au pairs come to genuinely work for the language and cultural experience. Never mind checking out the girl, If I was a mother I'd be checking out the employer!
This user would like to thank Oldhand for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 09.11.2011, 07:47
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,105
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Two people whom we don't know with two very different versions of the same story. How does one tell who is being more accurate and honest?
Quote:
View Post
Among the many discrepancies here, one more thing puzzles me - how did Magda find this Thread?
Quote:
View Post
I knew this lady's nick on this forum.
The picture shows her daughter.

Simple.

One doesnt have to be stupid to find out.
Quote:
View Post
Having read many of your posts before I am a bit disappointed in your detective skills this time round Mrs Longbyt
I didn't want to jump to any conclusions, so I asked my question. I haven't had a real answer so my suspicious mind runs riot.

I presume the lady didn't actually tell her au pair that she was a member on here and that xxx was her User Name.
I presume that the lady didn't leave the EF site open with herself logged in and say to the au pair 'you can use my computer'.
The au pair had not, in the eight months she says she was badly treated, been on a computer, Googled 'au pair' to find rulings on her job, found EF and gone straight into Complaints Corner - the usual scenario in this situation I would have thought.
However, the au pair joined the forum at the very time the employer was posting on the subject on here. Somehow found the user Name, somehow found the Thread, joined the Forum and replied.

'Somehow' doesn't leave too many possibilites open. I still wonder.
__________________
Longbyt

Last edited by Longbyt; 10.11.2011 at 05:55. Reason: clarity?!?
  #75  
Old 09.11.2011, 10:25
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA, former Zurich
Posts: 2,041
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,660 Posts
BokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Quote:
View Post
Two people whom we don't know with two very different versions of the same story. How does one tell who is being more accurate and honest?

I didn't want to jump to any conclusions, so I asked my question. I haven't had a real answer so my suspicious mind runs riot.

I presume the lady didn't actually tell her au pair that she was a member on here and that xxx was her User Name.
I presume that the lady didn't leave the EF site open with herself logged in and say to the au pair 'you can use my computer'.
The au pair had not, in the eight months she says she was badly treated, been on a computer, Googled 'au pair' to find rulings on her job, found EF and gone straight into Complaints Corner - the usual scenario I would guess.
However, the au pair joined the forum at the very time the employer was posting on the subject on here. Somehow found the user Name, somehow found the Thread, joined the Forum and replied.

'Somehow' doesn't leave too many possibilites open. I still wonder.
Longbyt, you make some very valid points, however, with the caveat that we don't know the two people and therefore we cannot determine who is right or wrong (if there is such thing), I will say that it is pretty easy to find out who the OP is with perfectly legit means. I am an uninterested third party, and just by looking at the posting history I have a name and a last name, for Pete's sake!

Perhaps the au-pair already knew EF and already used it as a source of information, although she never became a member. Perhaps she recognized that her working conditions, albeit all legal (and I highlight that), were not the most favorable for her, but instead of posting on the Complaints corner, she did something more sensible and looked for another job. Perhaps she would have just archived it as a "bad work experience" had it not been for this thread.

Perhaps a friend of hers, already on EF, saw this thread and, recognizing some similarities, alerted her. From there, she probably checked out the thread, clicked on the OP user profile and saw the posting history, where there are some details that make it quite obvious to find out who the OP is. And, quite naturally as many of us would do, she signed up to defend herself.

I reiterate that we don't know who is right or wrong, but what *I* wonder is the silence of the OP after the au-pair's posts. Why not respond?
This user would like to thank BokerTov for this useful post:
  #76  
Old 09.11.2011, 11:28
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 137
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Powerlauer has no particular reputation at present
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Have been a little busy! 3 kids, husband traveling and hospital appointments leave little time to check e mails!

Seems have caused quite a tidle wave of responses, arguments and counter arguments.

I wanted the thread closed because things are being handled by a lawyer. My concern was for the future family and their newborn, but as was rightly pointed out, it's not my problem.

Cyber-attacking me is not necessary. If anyone feels anyone has been wronged, please pm me, come to my home see how we live and what I need, have to offer and then judge for yourself. I have nothing to hide,including my identity.
Al the information I was given was given to me by a 3rd party, and not only
from 1 source, at first I refused to believe it, but sadly I heard it from 2 other
sources.
I am a guest in this country, I take the fact that I am living here in peace and security very seriously, and those who flaunt the systmn, mock and lie their way into jobs don't deserve to be here.

Please note, names were not mentioned, I never gave anyone's identity away. I mention 22 year old au pair, am sure there are many out there and some genuine forum members.

It interesting though, how 2 forum member attacking me joined on the same day, and went straight here? After I asked for the thread to be closed, and managed to resurrect a thread I started from 3 years ago! also, how they are both "name "91"

I realise that the moderators cannot block or close a thread as there is some genuine forum members who may find some of the advice useful.



Quote:
View Post
Longbyt, you make some very valid points, however, with the caveat that we don't know the two people and therefore we cannot determine who is right or wrong (if there is such thing), I will say that it is pretty easy to find out who the OP is with perfectly legit means. I am an uninterested third party, and just by looking at the posting history I have a name and a last name, for Pete's sake!

Perhaps the au-pair already knew EF and already used it as a source of information, although she never became a member. Perhaps she recognized that her working conditions, albeit all legal (and I highlight that), were not the most favorable for her, but instead of posting on the Complaints corner, she did something more sensible and looked for another job. Perhaps she would have just archived it as a "bad work experience" had it not been for this thread.

Perhaps a friend of hers, already on EF, saw this thread and, recognizing some similarities, alerted her. From there, she probably checked out the thread, clicked on the OP user profile and saw the posting history, where there are some details that make it quite obvious to find out who the OP is. And, quite naturally as many of us would do, she signed up to defend herself.

I reiterate that we don't know who is right or wrong, but what *I* wonder is the silence of the OP after the au-pair's posts. Why not respond?

Last edited by Longbyt; 09.11.2011 at 12:09.
This user would like to thank Powerlauer for this useful post:
  #77  
Old 09.11.2011, 11:34
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

really think this one should be locked now, it not really good for any of the parties involved if it stays open
The following 3 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #78  
Old 09.11.2011, 14:37
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,015
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 6,837 Times in 2,059 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Quote:
View Post
those who flaunt the systmn, mock and lie their way into jobs don't deserve to be here.
I totally agree with you. This also includes those who don't register their employees, in order for them to be covered for AHV, unemployment and accident insurance.

I'm sure your Lawyer will help you with these arrangements.
The following 6 users would like to thank Oldhand for this useful post:
  #79  
Old 09.11.2011, 15:48
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maschwanden nr. Mettmenstetten
Posts: 83
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 34 Posts
cazzamia is considered knowledgeablecazzamia is considered knowledgeablecazzamia is considered knowledgeable
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Quote:
View Post
I hope your crusade does not put many families off choosing Aupairs. If I had not had that foot in the door I would not be here today.

Many of us have had the joy of living a full and enriched life here in Switzerland by getting a chance. My Aupairing days where hell. I worked alot longer hours for less money than the job adds you are criticizing. I worked my butt off. I can't say i loved the work, but the kids. Yes, i loved them. I did it until I could get into the market place.

Oh and just for the record. I worked my notice period even though I nearly lost the new job because I could not start sooner. The mom stayed at home all day, so I could have walked. That is not how it works for me, i dis my 3 months, I finished what I started.

I am grateful for that opportunity. It has opened so many doors for me. It also allowed me to look after my family at home. Lots of Aupairs look after family at home. No their own kids, but rather parents and grand parents etc.

Don't forget to look at it from both sides.
I too was an au-pair for a year in Germany and I had a brilliant experience with my host family. There is no need in this day and age for au-pair's or staff of a similar standing to be treated the way they are, so employer's reap what they sow and I have little sympathy.

That aside, there is invaluable advice to be had amongst this whole discussion for prospective host families/au-pair's who are considering entering into the programme in the future, which isn't a bad thing, oder?

And trust me, I doubt what has been written here or elsewhere will put that many people off becoming an au-pair as it always was/is a very popular exchange programme, despite the negative experiences that we all hear about.
The following 2 users would like to thank cazzamia for this useful post:
  #80  
Old 09.11.2011, 16:32
princessduck's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 891
Groaned at 41 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 492 Times in 265 Posts
princessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputation
Re: What is the notice period for an au pair?

Quote:
View Post
I too was an au-pair for a year in Germany and I had a brilliant experience with my host family. There is no need in this day and age for au-pair's or staff of a similar standing to be treated the way they are, so employer's reap what they sow and I have little sympathy.

That aside, there is invaluable advice to be had amongst this whole discussion for prospective host families/au-pair's who are considering entering into the programme in the future, which isn't a bad thing, oder?

And trust me, I doubt what has been written here or elsewhere will put that many people off becoming an au-pair as it always was/is a very popular exchange programme, despite the negative experiences that we all hear about.
Five years ago I was an Au Pair in Belgium. It wasn't a nice experience...as I don't want to say terrible...but I promised the family, from the start, that I will stay for 6 months so I wanted to keep my promise, plus I loved the kids, especially the little one and at that point I felt that the mother really needed my help. I had moments when I wanted to go back home but I didn't wanted to step on my word and I stayed there. To cut the long story short, when I got back in my country, I said I will never, ever be an Au Pair again. Now I'm in my second year (1 year and 3 months and I'm staying until next June!) of being an Au Pair for a wonderful mother with 2 children, here in Switzerland.
I think host families and au pairs should give another chance after a bad experience.
After all, life is full of good and bad things and these should be taken as a lesson that we have to learn from.
The following 2 users would like to thank princessduck for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Live-out nanny/au-pair - what are the chances? Marrisol Employment 3 20.09.2011 20:20
Handing your notice in after the notice period Guest Employment 13 08.03.2010 17:27
is it possible to get an au pair into Switzerland without a visa or a work permit? goombie Family matters/health 3 26.06.2008 07:46
Notice period--Is it negotiable? Ella Employment 3 06.03.2007 11:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0