Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01.11.2011, 21:17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 298
Groaned at 67 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 111 Posts
UktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisance
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Do they do this with guys? I've never been anywhere in the world where women are allowed to work, and this includes the US, where such rampant attitudes towards women with children were so unabashedly and unashamedly displayed. Sure, in countries like the Nordics where women can take up to 3 years of leave for a child, it has some chilling effects on hiring women but, with much lower immigration, it's less of an issue. I don't think CH has much of an advantage on the US (if any at all since there are seemingly more legal protections for women of child-bearing age in the US) in terms of being a woman, especially a woman with children who wants to work either full-time or part-time. It is a very striking difference for CH from the rest of the EU.
Yes this is quite unique to Switzerland. Myself and my wife left for 5 years (to UK) and we are shocked of the situation now compared to 5 years ago.

The laws have not changed but employers have no respect for their staff anymore. It is easy to replace local people (whatever their nationality) with underpaid newcomers from the EU, France and Germany mainly.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01.11.2011, 21:39
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Yes this is quite unique to Switzerland. Myself and my wife left for 5 years (to UK) and we are shocked of the situation now compared to 5 years ago.

The laws have not changed but employers have no respect for their staff anymore. It is easy to replace local people (whatever their nationality) with underpaid newcomers from the EU, France and Germany mainly.
Well, let's be honest, though, even without the immigration, CH is still living in terms of the 1950s with regards to women working. Immigration just makes it easier to embrace those ingrained attitudes. The Nordic countries simply balk at paying the price for having to save a job for a woman for 3 years, which is understandable but, women need to work and there is plentiful and affordable childcare for those who do. None of that infrastructure is available here for women with families. Don't blame the immigrants, blame the culture that enforces keeping women at home.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank poptart for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 01.11.2011, 21:56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 298
Groaned at 67 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 111 Posts
UktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisance
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Well, let's be honest, though, even without the immigration, CH is still living in terms of the 1950s with regards to women working. Immigration just makes it easier to embrace those ingrained attitudes. The Nordic countries simply balk at paying the price for having to save a job for a woman for 3 years, which is understandable but, women need to work and there is plentiful and affordable childcare for those who do. None of that infrastructure is available here for women with families. Don't blame the immigrants, blame the culture that enforces keeping women at home.
I agree with you.
You might smile but I love cooking and as I am a male people are often surprised about it.

I learnt to cook in the UK where I used to live (now I am back to Switzerland). I think here it is still seen as a woman's job to cook, for example recipes are confined to women's magazines.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01.11.2011, 21:59
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,231
Groaned at 2,466 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,331 Times in 18,538 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
It is a very striking difference for CH from the rest of the EU.
Ummm, CH is NOT in the EU (thank God).

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
I learnt to cook in the UK where I used to live (now I am back to Switzerland). I think here it is still seen as a woman's job to cook, for example recipes are confined to women's magazines.
I don't think even UK lads' mags are famous for their cookery sections, though... ha ha!

Can you imagine Loaded or GQ with a section on cupcakes and jam tarts??
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:02
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Ummm, CH is NOT in the EU (thank God).
Says a man....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank poptart for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:05
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
I agree with you.
You might smile but I love cooking and as I am a male people are often surprised about it.
Only around here I would guess. Most of the celeb chefs are guys, e.g. Ramsey and Oliver. If you like eating, you can cook and feed yourself. Only folks living in the 1950s expect women to do the cooking. I grew up doing most of the cooking because my mother worked and I was good at it....I didn't read ladies mags, rather a cookbook. If you can read and follow directions, you can cook, even with a set of male gonads.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank poptart for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:05
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 298
Groaned at 67 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 111 Posts
UktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisance
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
I don't think even UK lads' mags are famous for their cookery sections, though... ha ha!

Can you imagine Loaded or GQ with a section on cupcakes and jam tarts??
- fair point...

The fact is that a man cooking in the UK is seen positively while here it is odd.

Like I almost never see chaps doing the weekly shopping here. Typically women duty.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:15
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,231
Groaned at 2,466 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,331 Times in 18,538 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
The fact is that a man cooking in the UK is seen positively while here it is odd.
Nonsense.

I've done most of the cooking and shopping for the past 25 years here, and most people who's cooking I find to be very good (and not just adequate) tend to be male.

Of course, I live in Ticino, and here and in Italy when we aren't talking motorcycles, we are talking food!

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 298
Groaned at 67 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 111 Posts
UktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisance
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Only around here I would guess. Most of the celeb chefs are guys, e.g. Ramsey and Oliver. If you like eating, you can cook and feed yourself. Only folks living in the 1950s expect women to do the cooking. I grew up doing most of the cooking because my mother worked and I was good at it....I didn't read ladies mags, rather a cookbook. If you can read and follow directions, you can cook, even with a set of male gonads.
Yes but Swiss males are expected to support their family by working 50 or more hours a week, hence no time left for duties like cooking, that can easily be outsourced to women-
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:21
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,231
Groaned at 2,466 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,331 Times in 18,538 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Yes but Swiss males are expected to support their family by working 50 or more hours a week, hence no time left for duties like cooking, that can easily be outsourced to women-
I've almost never worked more than 42 hr/week (and more than 42 is always compensated by time off), how do you figure 50+?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:22
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Yes but Swiss males are expected to support their family by working 50 or more hours a week, hence no time left for duties like cooking, that can easily be outsourced to women-
Can you get any more condescending or sexist in a thread about a preggers woman being dogged out of her job? Seriously? I used to make more than my husband in the US in a field I was both well known and respected in...can it get any more jerky than this? I do enjoy cooking/baking but not as a form of 'outsourcing' because there's nothing left for me to do...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank poptart for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 298
Groaned at 67 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 111 Posts
UktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisance
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Can you get any more condescending or sexist in a thread about a preggers woman being dogged out of her job? Seriously? I used to make more than my husband in the US in a field I was both well known and respected in...can it get any more jerky than this? I do enjoy cooking/baking but not as a form of 'outsourcing' because there's nothing left for me to do...
I was being sarcastic in case you didn't notice-
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:25
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,231
Groaned at 2,466 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,331 Times in 18,538 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Says a man....
And a NewEnglander (well, former).

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 298
Groaned at 67 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 111 Posts
UktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisance
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Nonsense.

I've done most of the cooking and shopping for the past 25 years here, and most people who's cooking I find to be very good (and not just adequate) tend to be male.

Of course, I live in Ticino, and here and in Italy when we aren't talking motorcycles, we are talking food!

Tom
Hi Tom,

Ticino is known as a family-friendly place in Switzerland, might explain.
Now go to Uri and tell able your cooking skills-
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:35
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
And a NewEnglander (well, former).
Well, there are likely good reasons for that...namely the NE women who'd hit you with a cast iron pan.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:36
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
I was being sarcastic in case you didn't notice-
Missed it but, still....sensitive topic to those of us stuck in the kitchen when we could be doing other things.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:37
tearley's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne (Vaud)
Posts: 428
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 190 Posts
tearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputation
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Only around here I would guess. Most of the celeb chefs are guys, e.g. Ramsey and Oliver. If you like eating, you can cook and feed yourself. Only folks living in the 1950s expect women to do the cooking. I grew up doing most of the cooking because my mother worked and I was good at it....I didn't read ladies mags, rather a cookbook. If you can read and follow directions, you can cook, even with a set of male gonads.
Ethnographic studies show that once household tasks become "professionalized", they become the responsibilities of men. So, household tasks that women are responsible for in the home, become the domain of men outside the home. Examples: professional chefs, bakers, brewers, millers etc.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tearley for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:52
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,231
Groaned at 2,466 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,331 Times in 18,538 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Well, there are likely good reasons for that...namely the NE women who'd hit you with a cast iron pan.
Alas, the cast iron pans in this household are all MINE!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01.11.2011, 22:57
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,231
Groaned at 2,466 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,331 Times in 18,538 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wife being bullied after informing employer of pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
Missed it but, still....sensitive topic to those of us stuck in the kitchen when we could be doing other things.
My wife complains that I don't let her cook often enough!

Meanwhile, I did teach her how to make ravioli today.

Personally, I was shocked that she had never made pasta before, she being from old-family Swiss/Italian stock, and even more shocked that her Italian mother had never made it in my wife's lifetime (probably tired of it growing up on a farm near Luino).

Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pregnancy and a bad employer Aotearoan Employment 20 03.01.2012 16:44
The wife of a refugee will loose her permit after divorce... annas Permits/visas/government 3 18.10.2011 15:30
Wife's employer didn't take out accident insurance (I think) Cosmos Insurance 129 26.09.2011 23:23
What can I do? Employer inconsistent / Salary not being paid Begga Employment 20 24.03.2010 10:59
C Permit after 5 years of being in Switzerland or since being on a B permit? digg Permits/visas/government 49 30.03.2009 18:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0