Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.12.2011, 14:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Geneve
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
tomas has no particular reputation at present
IT CV check needed!

Hi folks!
in last month I am unsuccessfully trying to get a job as C# programmer or IT Support in Geneva region. My drawback is beginner level of French. I am working on it. But I have a felling, that my French is not the only thing which stinks in my CV. Please, is here some HR professional, who could check my CV and tell me honest opinion?

Thank you very much in advice!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.12.2011, 14:39
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bruettelen3237
Posts: 111
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 13 Posts
souler has no particular reputation at present
Re: IT CV check needed!

Can,t help but notice that your english isn,t up to scratch . Maybe that,s one of your problems. No offence meant.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.12.2011, 14:47
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,277
Groaned at 72 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,728 Times in 1,752 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT CV check needed!

Quote:
View Post
Can,t help but notice that your english isn,t up to scratch . Maybe that,s one of your problems. No offence meant.
So is your punctuation...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank The_Love_Doctor for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 07.12.2011, 14:56
thekelves's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 47
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
thekelves has become a little unpopular
Re: IT CV check needed!

I think your local RAV office should be able to help you with that. If not, I guess recruiters or headhunters should give you some pointers as well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.12.2011, 14:58
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bruettelen3237
Posts: 111
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 13 Posts
souler has no particular reputation at present
Re: IT CV check needed!

Quote:
View Post
So is your punctuation...
Nothing wrong with my punctuaton..........
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.12.2011, 14:59
Sudo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 105
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 98 Times in 41 Posts
Sudo is considered knowledgeableSudo is considered knowledgeableSudo is considered knowledgeable
Re: IT CV check needed!

I would start of by asking the companies who rejected you why they did so. That should be a good start.
Next to that you could post your CV here on the site. People can give you advise then and there might even be people recommending you certain job offers.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08.12.2011, 10:03
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Geneve
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
tomas has no particular reputation at present
Re: IT CV check needed!

Quote:
View Post
Can,t help but notice that your english isn,t up to scratch . Maybe that,s one of your problems. No offence meant.
You are god damn right! Next time, I will read my post before sending! I learned English 5 years ago and since then I haven't had many opportunities for writing in English. You can correct me if you have few spare seconds . I would appreciate that a lot!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08.12.2011, 10:13
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Geneve
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
tomas has no particular reputation at present
Re: IT CV check needed!

Quote:
View Post
I would start of by asking the companies who rejected you why they did so. That should be a good start.
Next to that you could post your CV here on the site. People can give you advise then and there might even be people recommending you certain job offers.
I have tried that few times, but the answer was always the same: We have many applications and giving a personal feedback is not in our possibilities.
Via this thread I wanted send my CV to somebody, who would be willing to help me. But nobody shows up...yet .
And at this time, I might by already allowed to post in Jobs wanted section, since I have more than 10 posts . I'm on it!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08.12.2011, 14:22
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bruettelen3237
Posts: 111
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 13 Posts
souler has no particular reputation at present
Re: IT CV check needed!

Anytime love to check your english for you
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08.12.2011, 15:36
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Geneve
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
tomas has no particular reputation at present
Re: IT CV check needed!

Quote:
View Post
Anytime love to check your english for you
You have a PM with first assignment
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.12.2011, 15:42
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Geneve
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
tomas has no particular reputation at present
Re: IT CV check needed!

Back to my problem. Is here any CV-skilled good-hearted person who could check my CV please? I would be grateful for any comments. I have found very interesting offer and don't want to mess it up...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08.12.2011, 16:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: IT CV check needed!

Quote:
View Post
You are god damn right! Next time, I will read my post before sending! I learned English 5 years ago and since then I haven't had many opportunities for writing in English. You can correct me if you have few spare seconds . I would appreciate that a lot!
God could have a capital G and learned could have been learnt.

http://atheism.about.com/od/doesgode...talization.htm

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...vs-learnt.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 08.12.2011, 16:35
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: IT CV check needed!

Quote:
View Post
Nothing wrong with my punctuaton..........
That would be punctuation, are you sure you are up to checking other people's english?

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08.12.2011, 16:41
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich (Uetikon)
Posts: 225
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 195 Times in 57 Posts
Mr. Happy has earned the respect of manyMr. Happy has earned the respect of manyMr. Happy has earned the respect of many
Re: IT CV check needed!

I am not a HR person, but a fellow C# programmer and have been in this business a long time, have you tried any agencies? Also why don't you post your CV and I will make suggestions. Word of warning, be prepared for criticism and sometimes harsh ones.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mr. Happy for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 08.12.2011, 17:27
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Geneve
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
tomas has no particular reputation at present
Re: IT CV check needed!

Quote:
View Post
I am not a HR person, but a fellow C# programmer and have been in this business a long time, have you tried any agencies? Also why don't you post your CV and I will make suggestions. Word of warning, be prepared for criticism and sometimes harsh ones.
You've got link to my CV in your PM box. Thank you for comments!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08.12.2011, 17:34
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Geneve
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
tomas has no particular reputation at present
Re: IT CV check needed!

Quote:
View Post
This means that I am an American atheist, right?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08.12.2011, 17:41
marksmadsen's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 180
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 209 Times in 93 Posts
marksmadsen has a reputation beyond reputemarksmadsen has a reputation beyond reputemarksmadsen has a reputation beyond reputemarksmadsen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT CV check needed!

Quote:
View Post
The OP learned English years ago. He said he had not used it much since he had learnt it.

Does that illustrate the difference? "Learned" is correct, "learnt" is not.

I detest the trend towards using the perfect participle for the past perfect. It's not as if English is overburdened with grammar, let's keep what we have.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08.12.2011, 18:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: IT CV check needed!

Quote:
View Post
The OP learned English years ago. He said he had not used it much since he had learnt it.

Does that illustrate the difference? "Learned" is correct, "learnt" is not.

I detest the trend towards using the perfect participle for the past perfect. It's not as if English is overburdened with grammar, let's keep what we have.
Not really, I would use learnt in both of those sentences, and I would not have added the 'had'.

The OP learnt English Years ago.
He said he had not used it much since he learnt it.

Doesn't mean I'm right, and I don't think your way is wrong. That's just the way I learnt it and what I would write.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08.12.2011, 19:02
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Geneve
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
tomas has no particular reputation at present
Re: IT CV check needed!

Quote:
View Post
Not really, I would use learnt in both of those sentences, and I would not have added the 'had'.

The OP learnt English Years ago.
He said he had not used it much since he learnt it.

Doesn't mean I'm right, and I don't think your way is wrong. That's just the way I learnt it and what I would write.
What a hell? How shall I know what's correct if two native speakers have different opinions???
Don't you want to check my CV instead of unleashing grammar wars? I can send you (a) link to my CV in (a) PM, if you agree. I know I do errors in if sentences. Please, feel free to correct me. Shall I use "a" in previous sentence?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08.12.2011, 19:18
marksmadsen's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 180
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 209 Times in 93 Posts
marksmadsen has a reputation beyond reputemarksmadsen has a reputation beyond reputemarksmadsen has a reputation beyond reputemarksmadsen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IT CV check needed!

Quote:
View Post
What a hell? How shall I know what's correct if two native speakers have different opinions???
Don't you want to check my CV instead of unleashing grammar wars? I can send you (a) link to my CV in (a) PM, if you agree. I know I do errors in if sentences. Please, feel free to correct me. Shall I use "a" in previous sentence?
I didn't claim to be a native speaker, did I? But I do have some experience with the language.

Why don't you send me a PM with the link and I'll look through it for you. I've been in the IT business for quite a while so I'm interested to see what you aren't saying as well as what can be improved about what you have said.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marksmadsen for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can some nice person check my simple CV over english_girl Employment 1 18.11.2011 17:59
should I submit my CV for coat check position? danielleAbear Employment 12 14.10.2011 05:48
[Needed] Translation of CV to German cancher1 Language corner 5 03.05.2010 10:37
CV translation/editing help needed Ginto Employment 1 07.06.2009 18:46
Help on CV needed lala Employment 6 08.11.2007 21:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0