English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Employment (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/)
-   -   150K net (200K gross) in Geneva? (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/133808-150k-net-200k-gross-geneva.html)

Angela-74 15.12.2011 12:59

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qKdVNstW0z...s1600/yawn.jpg

Guest 15.12.2011 13:00

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 1434873)
I disagree. There have been newbies on this forum asking all sorts of questions and the regulars are more often than not falling over one another in their eagerness to make the newbie welcome and provide useful advice.

But if there's one thing we don't like it's attitudes and if somebody comes with one they are fair game for a bit of baiting.

What attitude has he come with, all he has done is ask questions, his 'attitude in his second post is understandable, he is now away thinking what a bunch of smart ass a$$holes.

He never had an attitude until as he says got 1 good reply and 25 sarcastic ones.

KeinFranzösisch 15.12.2011 13:01

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mud (Post 1434799)
On the far end but I guess it's within reason.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../EF/salary.jpg

Mud, thanks for this. Where is this table available?

Whenever I've looked at UN salaries all I find is the base, so usually I blow off anything below P-5. I might have to start taking P-2 and P-3 more seriously now, having seen this.

That said... I think OP is probably smoking something or blowing someone if he thinks he's going to gross CHF200K.

Or, perhaps he's been in the UN long enough to have some seriously capped seniority. If this is the case, then he shouldn't be asking such a silly question. So I'm hedging against this bet. I'm guessing what is more likely is that he has applied for, maybe interviewed for as well, a P-4 position with the UN, but doesn't actually have an offer. If he did have an offer, the salary would already be dislosed. He'd have to be seriously qualified (even overqualified) to capture the end-rate of the P-4 bracket.

Guest 15.12.2011 13:03

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ouchboy (Post 1434875)
BonBon: Criticizes people for remarks; doesn't provide a useful comment.


it's the overall disconnect with prices and money that baffle people; and certainly the overall "im too lazy to look around, just tell me" kinda thing.

As a noob I spend my time reading stickies to see if my question was already answered.

How do you know he or the many others that come on are too lazy, maybe they just don't know and a helpful point in the right direction can do a lot for them and more importantly can do a hell of a lot for the marketing of the forum.

and the useful comment you missed was, ignore, leave to admin and make the forum 'more welcoming'

summerrain 15.12.2011 13:05

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BonBon (Post 1434860)
It's like a race to see who can get in first with the most sarcastic comment, it really is a shame and is a major downside to what is a very helpful and interesting forum.

We were all new once and just because someone is earning 200k does not mean to say they know how to use a forum, everyone has to start somewhere.
The guy is probably excited, nervous, unsure and looking for some friendly advice, that’s all, I am sure you have all done the same at some point.
Simple thing to do would be ignore and then admin can point them to the instruction on how to use the forum.

You never know this guy might have had a lot to add to the forum and because of all the sarcastic replies from the usual suspects he will probably not be back.

It really is a shame.

Cue the groans:rolleyes:

I'll bite :)

There is however a difference between a genuine well researched salary question versus a generic (aka lazy): is 200K enough? Look at this newbie, did he get flamed?

http://www.englishforum.ch/daily-lif...sts-basel.html

Now, lets take another step back shall we?

EF is a forum unique to its own. Scratch below most of the sarky replies on here and there is a wealth of information to geniune questions - there is no other expat forum like it - so my question is: how do expats who plan to move to other countries without a resource like EF make their decision?

There is no EF to answer their question, only good solid research.

BokerTov 15.12.2011 13:07

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BonBon (Post 1434860)
It's like a race to see who can get in first with the most sarcastic comment, it really is a shame and is a major downside to what is a very helpful and interesting forum.

We were all new once and just because someone is earning 200k does not mean to say they know how to use a forum, everyone has to start somewhere.
The guy is probably excited, nervous, unsure and looking for some friendly advice, that’s all, I am sure you have all done the same at some point.
Simple thing to do would be ignore and then admin can point them to the instruction on how to use the forum.

You never know this guy might have had a lot to add to the forum and because of all the sarcastic replies from the usual suspects he will probably not be back.

It really is a shame.

Cue the groans:rolleyes:

Yes, I agree with you to some extent. We were all new, and, as said to someone else somewhere else, I do think that these questions are not really meant to ask "Is X enough to live on...?" but rather "What kind of lifestyle can I hope for with X?". It is also true that you are not completely into things until you get here.

However: I have been taught that, before you ask your question, you listen to what the lecturer has to say. I.e.: when you stumble upon such a forum as the EF, spend some time looking through the existing threads, use the search function, and, once you have a better idea and if your question has not been answered yet, then you post it.

I don't think it has anything to do with the ability to use an internet forum - I mean, can you use Google? How hard is it to put some keywords into the white space and hit "search"? Sometimes, when I read these threads, I just think it has to do with the fact that the original posters are used to having people do all the work for them/organize their life, and/or are lazy enough not to be bothered by doing their homework. Furthermore, the response to the "sarcastic comments" is also telling - is the OP saying something along the lines of "Oh, yeah, sorry, I didn't realize, thanks for pointing me to the search function, I will look up more and if I have some questions I'll post", or is the OP replying with arrogant and snotty remarks?

Food for thought. I do get a kick about reading these threads, not so much for the initial question, but because some of the replies are hilarious:p

TiMow 15.12.2011 13:09

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
For all those who think that the sarcastic comments were made purely because the OP is a noob, are probably mistaken - at least speaking personally. The number of posts is irrelevant.

Anyone who commands such a high salary - even by ex-pat standards here - should really be able to use their intelligence and experience to determine if this would be sufficient to maintain a certain required standard of living - and not blindly and lazily solicit advice from strangers on a public forum (some of whom may also not have a grip on reality when it comes to salaries here).

I wonder if this is his normal approach to all previous offers of new positions and salary increases.

Ouchboy 15.12.2011 13:20

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BonBon (Post 1434885)
How do you know he or the many others that come on are too lazy, maybe they just don't know and a helpful point in the right direction can do a lot for them and more importantly can do a hell of a lot for the marketing of the forum.

How do I know? because of the search function perhaps?
http://i.imgur.com/1ss9E.jpg


Quote:

Originally Posted by BonBon (Post 1434885)


and the useful comment you missed was, ignore, leave to admin and make the forum 'more welcoming'

Not really useful to answer the OP question now is it?

The forum is a community, and as such needs "old" (either in CH or here) members to stay and :
-help answer questions.
-sell stuff to noobs, or give it away for free
-Organize regular events with the groups they already know: IE karaoke, viadukt.
-Travel around to other places and meet people that help you with one of the above

my recommendation to both of you: Lurk more, what Timow said is spot on

phdoofus 15.12.2011 13:36

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiMow (Post 1434890)
For all those who think that the sarcastic comments were made purely because the OP is a noob, are probably mistaken - at least speaking personally. The number of posts is irrelevant.

Noob is
a) clueless well off government appartchik, so busy living high on the public trough that he's never had to interact with the hoi polloi, let alone search engines. Kudos to the hoi polloi.
b) minon of Mr Clueless, currently being thrashed with a cane stick for not being sufficiently quick with good answers. Surely, you could have figured this out by the time he'd finished a 3-hour sushi lunch with the UN Minister of Closet Space (only makes 180K and kids go to public school but still a good egg, besides, they went to boarding school together) and had a spa treatment. Shame on the hoi polloi for denying minion his daily gruel and for getting a thrashing which he so richly deserved.

Mud 15.12.2011 13:38

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeinFranzösisch (Post 1434880)
Mud, thanks for this. Where is this table available?

Dis page. Honestly I had no earthly idea WTF a P4 salary was until-

wait for it-

I did a quick search on the Internet :).


As for the roughing up of the new guy; yeah a couple of posts were a bit pointed, but jeezumpetes, he asked questions that simply can't be answered.

"Is 150K net OK for this region?" Really? No, it's not, as the climate controlled garage and upkeep for your Maserati collection will eat up the bulk of that. Or- yes, you will live like a freakin king since you are accustomed to life in a tower block and 80 square meters. How are we to know what he needs?

So we give the OP the benefit of the doubt, somehow he made it to a position in life where he's young enough to have a 10 year old daughter but old enough that he doesn't really know what searching the internet is, and clever enough that he's going to clear 150K but murky enough that he doesn't see the reason to do 15 seconds of searching on his own. Really?

??

Or, he searched and landed here (yay!), still, a little common sense, a little humor, a little humility, those things go a long way. The comparison has been made before- you don't march up to a group in a pub and say, "HEY! I'm gonna make this much money tell me what to do!". If you do, you are going to get some responses that aren't all touchy-feelie.

Textoch 15.12.2011 13:42

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
I am all for helping newbies; after all I am not that far removed from being one myself. However, in this case, OP indicated in his original post that he had already been getting so much useful information from the forum, and it would seem implicit that he had been sorting the information in some way or form already in terms of his new job and home search.

As others have said, it does not take too much browsing to find threads where salary questions have been handled in both good or bad ways. Using this question as his first post, adding the "200 gross" part to the title and including the extraneous info about the international school fees would seem to indicate that he doesn't care about negative reactions, as does the sarcasm in his second post.

I vote for saving the effort of replying for those who seem to have actually done their homework prior to posting and don't seem to be looking to "stir the pot." In OP's case, he gets a lot of useless replies for a fairly careless first post.

MusicChick 15.12.2011 13:43

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeinFranzösisch (Post 1434880)
That said... I think OP is probably smoking something or blowing someone if he thinks he's going to gross CHF200K.
..

I don't think so either. Geneva, however, is an uncanny animal on its own..

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...itis-thumb.png

I don't think we need to have assholes and other pretty words flying around here, BonBon, usually those who help are resourceful and expect of others to do at least a tiny bit of leg work themselves, hence the reaction. Just read up posts of those you criticized.

OP seems done with the quest, if nobody needs to add any thing new or shocking, I will close this shop.

Mud 15.12.2011 13:44

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
inbeforethelock

Ouchboy 15.12.2011 13:45

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mud (Post 1434934)
inbeforethelock

metooIwinz

Mud 15.12.2011 13:46

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
nononoooo!

with a pic like a boss

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...fd742d8b97.jpg

MusicChick 15.12.2011 13:51

Re: 150K net (200K gross) in Geneva?
 
Just for your info, guys...where is grynch when he needs me...

I closed, no automated message option for reason was available.

Howgh


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:16.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0