Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.01.2012, 23:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 2 Posts
austin has no particular reputation at present
Which part is easy for engineers finding a job?

I am studying engineering at EPFL. I am going to improve my second language skill, which could help me to find a job after my graduation. For finding an engineer job (mechanical and materials engineering), would it be easier in German part than French part? Should I improve my German or French? Well both are impossible since i only have 2 years left.

what do you think?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.01.2012, 08:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Secret
Posts: 573
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 392 Times in 201 Posts
lilith has a reputation beyond reputelilith has a reputation beyond reputelilith has a reputation beyond reputelilith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which part is easy for engineers finding a job?

Given that it apeears you are studying full time at the epfl since a couple of years, i'd hope you are fluent in french... Or not? If not, you have a pointer right there...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14.01.2012, 10:27
Karl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 2,002
Groaned at 192 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 2,939 Times in 958 Posts
Karl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which part is easy for engineers finding a job?

I believe the biggest employer of Mechanical Engineers here would be Alstom. They have a huge HQ in Baden, so German would be good, however they are actually a French company, so French would give you a boost when dealing with the French management. In general most engineering jobs in Switzerland are in the German speaking part.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.01.2012, 12:58
Pullrod's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Milan
Posts: 84
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 37 Posts
Pullrod has no particular reputation at present
Re: Which part is easy for engineers finding a job?

Quote:
View Post
I am studying engineering at EPFL. I am going to improve my second language skill, which could help me to find a job after my graduation. For finding an engineer job (mechanical and materials engineering), would it be easier in German part than French part? Should I improve my German or French? Well both are impossible since i only have 2 years left.

what do you think?
Are you sure you are studying there? last time i checked there was:

1- Mechanical Engineering
2- Materials science and Engineering

I don't understand the part in bold.
Qu'as-tu choisi comme filière?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.01.2012, 22:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 2 Posts
austin has no particular reputation at present
Re: Which part is easy for engineers finding a job?

well my topic combined materials engineering and mechanical engineering.
it is not a particular major.


Quote:
View Post
Are you sure you are studying there? last time i checked there was:

1- Mechanical Engineering
2- Materials science and Engineering

I don't understand the part in bold.
Qu'as-tu choisi comme filière?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.01.2012, 22:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 2 Posts
austin has no particular reputation at present
Re: Which part is easy for engineers finding a job?

i stay in epfl one year now. learning french is not that easy job. well learning any language is not easy to me.

Quote:
View Post
Given that it apeears you are studying full time at the epfl since a couple of years, i'd hope you are fluent in french... Or not? If not, you have a pointer right there...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21.01.2012, 22:08
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BE
Posts: 250
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 371 Times in 144 Posts
misr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which part is easy for engineers finding a job?

Well learning the two languages together will distract you, and yes learning the common language of your futur employer (if you know who is it) is great - but it is not the only thing that will help you to have the job.

Dont spend much time thinking and deciding - if you select the French, the advantage will be that you have all the day long to practise it with people around you.

If you practise German, then you still have the possibility to practise it but don't forget that the German Market then will be also an opportunity especially when it comes to Mechanical engineering.

Good luck, decide now and what ever the decision you will never loose as you will gain new experience in all cases, the only loss is if you stayed hesitant till the two years run away.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank misr for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 23.01.2012, 01:53
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
256mxr has no particular reputation at present
Re: Which part is easy for engineers finding a job?

I am finding it hard too. I am a junior telecommunications engineer looking for an opportunity in Switzerland but after a hundred CV´s sent I had only two phone interviews

Both gone wrong. One asking for more experienced other asking for a good level of french. I have good english but the local language is mandatory too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23.01.2012, 09:48
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 134
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 53 Posts
rcp27 is considered knowledgeablercp27 is considered knowledgeablercp27 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Which part is easy for engineers finding a job?

Quote:
View Post
I believe the biggest employer of Mechanical Engineers here would be Alstom. They have a huge HQ in Baden, so German would be good, however they are actually a French company, so French would give you a boost when dealing with the French management. In general most engineering jobs in Switzerland are in the German speaking part.
Although Alstom uses English as their language of business and while the language of the coffee room might be dominated by German speakers, the language of the meeting room is English (or some approximation thereto), and plenty of people who work there have German (or French) skill that are somewhat ... lacking.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02.03.2012, 13:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
dolan199 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Which part is easy for engineers finding a job?

Quote:
View Post
I am finding it hard too. I am a junior telecommunications engineer looking for an opportunity in Switzerland but after a hundred CV´s sent I had only two phone interviews

Both gone wrong. One asking for more experienced other asking for a good level of french. I have good english but the local language is mandatory too.
yes, local language is preferable because of tight competition. In general, german language is preferable for technical area than french.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
language




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it easy to find a job in banking? alextarki Employment 6 06.12.2010 22:11
Should I try to apply for a job which requires work permit which I don't have? fromyan Employment 24 26.11.2010 00:05
any experience with finding a part time job? justsally Employment 17 26.09.2008 12:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0