Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.04.2012, 01:18
kio kio is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Genève
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kio has no particular reputation at present
Hello, i'm going to be 18 this summer and I wonder if it's possible for someone like me to find a job.
I'm still in highschool and don't have any experience as you might imagine.

I speak portuguese, french and english. But that's pretty much all I have to offer... I don't really know how things work here but what do you think?

Thanks ^^

By the way I've lived in geneva for 3 years

Last edited by jrspet; 22.04.2012 at 12:53. Reason: Merging of successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22.04.2012, 02:28
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 18 year old. No experience. Summer Job?

Quote:
View Post
Hello, i'm going to be 18 this summer and I wonder if it's possible for someone like me to find a job.
I'm still in highschool and don't have any experience as you might imagine.

I speak portuguese, french and english. But that's pretty much all I have to offer... I don't really know how things work here but what do you think?

Thanks ^^
Hi and welcome to the forum. If you're eilligible to work in Switzerland, then I suggest you get in touch with the municipial department (the people who collect garbage, sweep streets, cut grass etc. for the city). In the German part, it is not uncommon for high school kids to take up such jobs during summer holidays. Also, distributing newspapers and magazines could also be an option but I don't think that it pays that well. Either way, I wish you all the best and find it very positive, that you are being proactive!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 22.04.2012, 02:53
kio kio is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Genève
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kio has no particular reputation at present
Re: 18 year old. No experience. Summer Job?

Quote:
View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum. If you're eilligible to work in Switzerland, then I suggest you get in touch with the municipial department (the people who collect garbage, sweep streets, cut grass etc. for the city). In the German part, it is not uncommon for high school kids to take up such jobs during summer holidays. Also, distributing newspapers and magazines could also be an option but I don't think that it pays that well. Either way, I wish you all the best and find it very positive, that you are being proactive!
Hmm i see thanks for the reply, I think i'll do just that, do you think that there are more different jobs? I just wanted to know the possibilities.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22.04.2012, 03:18
SteffieM's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 221
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 105 Times in 68 Posts
SteffieM has earned some respectSteffieM has earned some respect
Re: 18 year old. No experience. Summer Job?

Hi Kio have you thought about babysitting during the summer holidays? Or working in a summer camp for kids?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22.04.2012, 12:47
kio kio is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Genève
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kio has no particular reputation at present
Re: 18 year old. No experience. Summer Job?

Quote:
View Post
Hi Kio have you thought about babysitting during the summer holidays? Or working in a summer camp for kids?
Those are also good ideas, where do you think I should search?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.04.2012, 15:08
Textoch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas, USA (formerly Vaud, CH)
Posts: 1,201
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,058 Times in 937 Posts
Textoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 18 year old. No experience. Summer Job?

Could your school perhaps connect you with local camps that could use the help of a person your age? I would think that your tri-lingual skills could be very helpful at a children's camp that is marketed for both local and expat kids.

Another suggestion for you would be to take time to look at bulletin boards at local stores, groceries, or commune administrative offices. You can see how other people are advertising their services, what they do, and whether anyone is advertising for a position for which you might be qualified.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.04.2012, 15:11
kio kio is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Genève
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kio has no particular reputation at present
Re: 18 year old. No experience. Summer Job?

Quote:
View Post
Could your school perhaps connect you with local camps that could use the help of a person your age? I would think that your tri-lingual skills could be very helpful at a children's camp that is marketed for both local and expat kids.

Another suggestion for you would be to take time to look at bulletin boards at local stores, groceries, or commune administrative offices. You can see how other people are advertising their services, what they do, and whether anyone is advertising for a position for which you might be qualified.

Good luck to you!
Thanks!
I'm always open to more suggestions, if someone has more ideas
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Learning by doing, for an 18 year old... arrow Family matters/health 25 16.11.2019 13:35
Learning by doing, for an 18 year old... arrow Employment 22 19.04.2010 22:24
18 year old Son visiting- help! corrieorrie Travel/day trips/free time 19 25.09.2009 21:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0