English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Employment (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/)
-   -   Is this is a meaningful "offer" to live on in CH ? (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/144745-meaningful-offer-live-ch.html)

angel84 25.04.2012 14:23

Is this is a meaningful "offer" to live on in CH ?
 
Hi,

I`m a hungarian who`s currently living in England (it`s been 5 years :)).
Recently, I got an opportunity to work for FEDEA School in Morges, Swizerland as a teaching assistant for one year.

The netto salary would be 1190CHF per month (after deduction of tax and rent which is 800CHF); working hours 42.5/week. Is it worth it? Will I be able to live on this?

I`m just wondering if anyone is out there who`s worked for this school or heard about it.

I have to make a decision and reply this week.

Thank you,
Tucsi

jrspet 25.04.2012 14:24

Re: help, relocation, advice
 
CHF1190 is below the poverty level. I would re-check the contract. The gross amount also appears to be below the tax threshold.

Unofficial minimum pay is around CHF3,500 ( say for example supermarket check out staff etc. )

KeinFranzösisch 25.04.2012 14:26

Re: help, relocation, advice
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by angel84 (Post 1545454)
Hi,

I`m a hungarian who`s currently living in England (it`s been 5 years :)).
Recently, I got an opportunity to work for FEDEA School in Morges, Swizerland as a teaching assistant for one year.

The netto salary would be 1190CHF per month (after deduction of tax and rent which is 800CHF); working hours 42.5/week. Is it worth it? Will I be able to live on this?

I`m just wondering if anyone is out there who`s worked for this school or heard about it.

I have to make a decision and reply this week.

Thank you,
Tucsi

You'd definitely need a roommate (or 3) and would have to live on a shoestring budget. Personally... I don't think that's a living wage for CH.

jrspet 25.04.2012 14:30

Re: help, relocation, advice
 
As you are Hungarian by nationality, you might want to read up:

http://www.englishforum.ch/swiss-pol...countries.html

and

http://www.englishforum.ch/permits-v...05-2012-a.html

Snoopy 25.04.2012 20:07

Re: help, relocation, advice
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeinFranzösisch (Post 1545458)
You'd definitely need a roommate (or 3) and would have to live on a shoestring budget. Personally... I don't think that's a living wage for CH.


If they are deducting rent then I would assume that they would at least provide accommodation. But it is still a pretty low wage.... (actually VERY low). An intern would earn that much.

biff 25.04.2012 23:16

Re: help, relocation, advice
 
It sounds a very interesting place to work. Do you have a background in working with children who have autism, already?

Have you compared that salary with what an assistant would get in other Swiss educational places? eg: childcare centres, International schools.

The other essential that has to come out of your salary is the compulsory health insurances ( that are not part of your general tax)and the insurance that landlords insist on the tenent carrying in case of damage to an apartment.

Yes, for a year, you could live on the remainder - eating simply and not spending money on clothes, travel etc. for that period.

Georgie66 25.05.2012 12:28

Re: Is this is a meaningful "offer" to live on in CH ?
 
Hi Tucsi,

I have worked for this institution before (a few years ago) and on my contract it said I would received 2,200CHF a month and rent and other costs are deducted from that. My first pay came in at a 'whopping' 1,250CHF. I quickly realised that it is practically impossible to survive on that amount. The school pays for your accidental health insurance but you have to fund your general health insurance which could be as much as 250CHF a month.

I'm sorry that I haven't posted a reply earlier but I am sure that most of the ex-teaching assistants from that school wouldn't recommend that you accept the position as the conditions of the school aren't ideal for the pupils as well as the staff and the 'management' staff of the school are by no means welcoming.

If you have already accepted the position then I wish you the best of luck.

Emma_x 17.05.2014 01:39

Re: Is this is a meaningful "offer" to live on in CH ?
 
Just wondering if you ever took the job and what your experience of it was?

Guest 13.07.2017 20:12

Re: Is this is a meaningful "offer" to live on in CH ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgie66 (Post 1567332)
Hi Tucsi,

I have worked for this institution before (a few years ago) and on my contract it said I would received 2,200CHF a month and rent and other costs are deducted from that. My first pay came in at a 'whopping' 1,250CHF. I quickly realised that it is practically impossible to survive on that amount. The school pays for your accidental health insurance but you have to fund your general health insurance which could be as much as 250CHF a month.

I'm sorry that I haven't posted a reply earlier but I am sure that most of the ex-teaching assistants from that school wouldn't recommend that you accept the position as the conditions of the school aren't ideal for the pupils as well as the staff and the 'management' staff of the school are by no means welcoming.

If you have already accepted the position then I wish you the best of luck.

You'd better prepare for court :P

roegner 13.07.2017 20:13

Re: Is this is a meaningful "offer" to live on in CH ?
 
Quote:

You'd better prepare for court :P
Thread from 2012/2014 :D

st2lemans 13.07.2017 22:10

Re: Is this is a meaningful "offer" to live on in CH ?
 
And which idiot resurrected this thread? :confused:

Tom


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:40.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0