Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.06.2012, 13:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
jackflasher has no particular reputation at present
RAV entitlement for less than 12 month employment

Hi,

I was under the impression that you required at least 12 months full employment before you are entitled to any benefits. A friend of mine who is currently studying while looking for a job has told me that this is not the case.

A brief background. I came to switzerland at age 18 and worked at Credit Suisse for for the full duration of my BSc (flying back to london for exams etc.) At 22 I moved back to the UK to do my MBA which I finished in 1 year and subsequently received a job offer to start work on the 1st Nov 2011 back in zurich; so I left everything in the UK and decided to relocate permanently to Zurich. I found out last week that I will be let go due to budget constraints on the 30th of June. This means that over the last 24 months I have only worked 8 (so 8 months of all the necessary contributions).

So my question is: am I entitled to any financial benefits?

They would help tremendously in tiding me over until I find my next position...

Otherwise I don't really want to go the RAV

All the best
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.06.2012, 15:07
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV entitlement for less than 12 month employment

Sometimes you can use your previous EU working history to get some benefits. You'll need to talk to the unemployment office to work out what, when, where, etc.
Don't wait for your contract to be over. Go NOW. You'll just make a bureaucratic mess if you wait until your job has finished. Also, you need to be actively looking for a job NOW.

Good luck!

Oh and BTW, welcome to the forum. An intro in the intro section would be nice. Also your question has been answered many times before. So get thee to the search bar!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.06.2012, 15:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: RAV entitlement for less than 12 month employment

The official rules is 12 months work in the past 24. Hope you can work something out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.06.2012, 15:38
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
jackflasher has no particular reputation at present
Re: RAV entitlement for less than 12 month employment

Quote:
View Post
Sometimes you can use your previous EU working history to get some benefits. You'll need to talk to the unemployment office to work out what, when, where, etc.
Don't wait for your contract to be over. Go NOW. You'll just make a bureaucratic mess if you wait until your job has finished. Also, you need to be actively looking for a job NOW.

Good luck!

Oh and BTW, welcome to the forum. An intro in the intro section would be nice. Also your question has been answered many times before. So get thee to the search bar!
Many thanks for this. However, I have never worked in the EU, I just grew up and studied in the uk. So even though I have worked here for a total of around 4 years, and never claimed anything - just because I spent a 16 months of the last 24 months studying abroad makes me illegible?

Also, I'm applying like theres no tomorrow but good advice non-the less.

My point is, if there is no financial support then why would I register... I am fairly confident I will find a job soon, but a little tide me over money wouldn't hurt.

Also, I did search the forums but couldn't find someone with this particular circumstance.

all the best and thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.06.2012, 17:58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 432
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 349 Times in 184 Posts
dmarkd has earned some respectdmarkd has earned some respect
Re: RAV entitlement for less than 12 month employment

Quote:
View Post
Also, I did search the forums but couldn't find someone with this particular circumstance.
In which case, sounds like you'll have to go to the RAV and ask them yourself. As has been said, as a rule of thumb, I think it is 12 months out of the last 24 including work in Europe, if you are an EU citizen. Quite where studying fits into this rule, who knows. Maybe when you find out, you can post back here.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.06.2012, 19:42
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV entitlement for less than 12 month employment

Quote:
The official rules is 12 months work in the past 24. Hope you can work something out.
However any course of further education of at least 1 year & 1 day can count as employment which may be credited a lowish salary of approx 3500 a month.

It's important the OP speaks to the RAV, the further education does make a difference.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04.06.2012, 19:59
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV entitlement for less than 12 month employment

Quote:
View Post
Many thanks for this. However, I have never worked in the EU, I just grew up and studied in the uk. So even though I have worked here for a total of around 4 years, and never claimed anything - just because I spent a 16 months of the last 24 months studying abroad makes me illegible?

Also, I'm applying like theres no tomorrow but good advice non-the less.

My point is, if there is no financial support then why would I register... I am fairly confident I will find a job soon, but a little tide me over money wouldn't hurt.

Also, I did search the forums but couldn't find someone with this particular circumstance.

all the best and thanks.
I would go talk to then and spell out your history. Tell them you just want to know your options and how it works. I think they will give you the info without you registering.

Personally, I would say it looks like you are ineligible. However, as you see above,


Quote:
View Post
In which case, sounds like you'll have to go to the RAV and ask them yourself. As has been said, as a rule of thumb, I think it is 12 months out of the last 24 including work in Europe, if you are an EU citizen. Quite where studying fits into this rule, who knows. Maybe when you find out, you can post back here.

Good luck.
Just to be clear it's "work in the EU, but not only EU citizens. If you are non-EU and worked in the EU you are also eligible.

To the Fatmanfilms says that studying could be taken into consideration. Go talk to them & good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04.06.2012, 20:01
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV entitlement for less than 12 month employment

Did you have a contract for 12 months of last 24?

I have no idea if that matters but would of thought so.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04.06.2012, 20:07
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV entitlement for less than 12 month employment

Quote:
View Post
Did you have a contract for 12 months of last 24?

I have no idea if that matters but would of thought so.
It makes no difference, what counts is contribution months.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 05.06.2012, 11:02
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
jackflasher has no particular reputation at present
Re: RAV entitlement for less than 12 month employment

Thanks for all the input!

I will go to the RAV this Friday (interviews today and tomorrow) and will post back what they tell me. I know it can't hurt and I might get some useful information.

Thanks again for the support and I'll provide an update soon.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05.06.2012, 11:05
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV entitlement for less than 12 month employment

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for all the input!

I will go to the RAV this Friday (interviews today and tomorrow) and will post back what they tell me. I know it can't hurt and I might get some useful information.

Thanks again for the support and I'll provide an update soon.
It's possible that they will tell you not to bother registering as they don't believe your entitled to benefits.
Ignore this, the kasse will check & their lawyers do know the law well.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05.06.2012, 11:38
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,712
Groaned at 118 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 2,140 Times in 942 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV entitlement for less than 12 month employment

Even if you are not entitled to any money, the RAV can still help by putting you on courses if it helps find a job. Especially helpful if you German is not so good or you are thinking of going into business for yourself ( which you're probably not I know).
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RAV payment much less than expected alanmack Employment 49 04.09.2014 12:16
RAV & Benefits entitlement lil_ferret Employment 12 20.04.2012 14:48
RAV entitlement if seeking employment in UK l_defriend Employment 1 28.06.2011 03:12
health care for stay less than 12 months Katie89 Insurance 7 06.05.2010 07:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0