Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.07.2012, 10:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
ktln has no particular reputation at present
looking for an entry job with no success

Dear All,
I would like to ask for your advice/help.
My husband got a job in Lausanne, and I have been looking for one since April.
I have several years of hotel experience (from USA), have a BBA degree, and soon (September 2012) an MBA (from Belgium) as well.
Unfortunately, my French and German is very basic; I do understand both languages -more or less, but can hardly speak them. (However, in German I used to be quite good a long time ago.)
Since I do not have any special experience (other than supervisory and some hotel mngmnt) it seems really difficult to get an entry job ( … and I am 34…).
I am thinking about interim jobs but don’t find too many of them.


(My Business Administration degree in is International Relations – and I am also interested in HR , Law, CSR, Organizational Behaviour, social issues… I am looking to find work in any area , not just these.)


I just need an entry job, as a trainee, or something similar…but I feel like I have applied to everywhere already, with no success.


(I have also signed up with Manpower, Adecco, etc when I arrived here)
We are ready to move as well, in case I got something in Zurich or Basel area.

Any advice, help, suggestions, comments greatly appreciated….!

Thank you kindly!


( I do hope that if I do not find anything else, I can still do (hotel) housekeeping or cleaning -even with little French knowledge...I am right?)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05.07.2012, 12:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,421
Groaned at 51 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,742 Times in 719 Posts
simplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: looking for an entry job with no success

Quote:
View Post
Dear All,
I would like to ask for your advice/help.
My husband got a job in Lausanne, and I have been looking for one since April.
I have several years of hotel experience (from USA), have a BBA degree, and soon (September 2012) an MBA (from Belgium) as well.
Unfortunately, my French and German is very basic; I do understand both languages -more or less, but can hardly speak them. (However, in German I used to be quite good a long time ago.)
Since I do not have any special experience (other than supervisory and some hotel mngmnt) it seems really difficult to get an entry job ( … and I am 34…).
I am thinking about interim jobs but don’t find too many of them.

(My Business Administration degree in is International Relations – and I am also interested in HR , Law, CSR, Organizational Behaviour, social issues… I am looking to find work in any area , not just these.)

I just need an entry job, as a trainee, or something similar…but I feel like I have applied to everywhere already, with no success.

(I have also signed up with Manpower, Adecco, etc when I arrived here)
We are ready to move as well, in case I got something in Zurich or Basel area.

Any advice, help, suggestions, comments greatly appreciated….!

Thank you kindly!


( I do hope that if I do not find anything else, I can still do (hotel) housekeeping or cleaning -even with little French knowledge...I am right?)
Actually with experience in the hotel business you might have to do so. but I'd go for the big 5-star-hotels in the region and would send them a "blind" application.
Here's a list of the big hotels. http://www.letsbookhotel.com/en/swit...x?fac=54;ord=2
Have a look at their homepage and try to figure if they could offer you, once you are in there, the job you fancy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05.07.2012, 13:18
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: looking for an entry job with no success

The Swiss seem to try really hard to match job to applicant. Maybe you should leave all your qualifications off your CV.

State you were working for MacDonalds in USA when you were in fact studying, play down your intelligence. Get a job cleaning rooms, then you might find a good job from the inside and by word of mouth.

Only about 30% of jobs are advertised here, 30% go by word of mouth, and 40% are filled after being advertised internally.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 05.07.2012, 13:29
M. Ploymi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GE
Posts: 925
Groaned at 34 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 810 Times in 356 Posts
M. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: looking for an entry job with no success

Quote:
View Post
Only about 30% of jobs are advertised here, 30% go by word of mouth, and 40% are filled after being advertised internally.
And roughly 87% of statistics given in online forums are made up on the spot.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank M. Ploymi for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 05.07.2012, 13:33
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: looking for an entry job with no success

Quote:
View Post
And roughly 87% of statistics given in online forums are made up on the spot.
Well now ..... I got that statistic from a councellor when I attended an 8 week unemployment course "How to get a job," in Bern, compulsory from the ORP-RAV.

Now please show me YOUR source, cheeky! The OP has had no success, and I don't see how your comment is going to help her at all!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 05.07.2012, 15:04
M. Ploymi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GE
Posts: 925
Groaned at 34 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 810 Times in 356 Posts
M. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond reputeM. Ploymi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: looking for an entry job with no success

I got that statistic from a research analyst who presented his 10-year findings at a 8-and-a-half week seminar on "How to look smart when you aren't really at all" in Zurich.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06.07.2012, 09:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
ktln has no particular reputation at present
Re: looking for an entry job with no success

Thanks everybody for your replies, (even for all the made-up-or-not statistics -- at least they distracted me and made me smile)
..I'll keep searching, keeping in mind hotel cleaning options..
Hope you all will have a nice day!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06.07.2012, 11:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 981
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,238 Times in 623 Posts
irish_temptation has a reputation beyond reputeirish_temptation has a reputation beyond reputeirish_temptation has a reputation beyond reputeirish_temptation has a reputation beyond repute
Re: looking for an entry job with no success

I know it can be hard and I feel for you but don't give up!

Many hotels employ Bankettaushilfen (sorry I don't know the French word but maybe someone else can help). Basically those people are paid by the hour and help to run a congress or a dinner for a large group (often by waitressing). Once you're there and have done a good job you can work more hours and you might also get a hint to a job opening. It might not be what you're qualified to do but it might be better than sitting around and waiting for the perfect job opportunity

All the best with your search!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09.07.2012, 10:08
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
ktln has no particular reputation at present
Re: looking for an entry job with no success

Quote:
View Post
I know it can be hard and I feel for you but don't give up!

Many hotels employ Bankettaushilfen (sorry I don't know the French word but maybe someone else can help). Basically those people are paid by the hour and help to run a congress or a dinner for a large group (often by waitressing). Once you're there and have done a good job you can work more hours and you might also get a hint to a job opening. It might not be what you're qualified to do but it might be better than sitting around and waiting for the perfect job opportunity

All the best with your search!
Thanks, die Bankett Aushilfe is actually a very good idea -even for networking. Thank you for mentioning it!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
leaving Switzerland with a non EU passport and no entry stamp ThomasCAN Permits/visas/government 10 28.09.2009 11:40
Re-entry CH with L-permit and no passport emilian Permits/visas/government 3 16.07.2008 17:50
Lawyer with no German hoping for job advice katelewandowska Employment 10 27.06.2008 18:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0