Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.09.2012, 10:47
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 17 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 23 Posts
digitsclimb has become a little unpopular
How much unemployment benefits

Hi,

I have a peculiar situation. I was fired and am entitled to unemployment benefits. I have been working for my employer for 29 months and my contract has been 100% for the past five months. Before that it was 80%. I have paid unemployment insurance on every CHF I earned.

The problem is how I was paid before going on the 100% contract. For all of 2011 and the first half of 2012 they paid me my base pay plus an additional 25% each month. So I regularly recieved a total amount of 81K annualized. However, my base pay in the accounts was 65K annualized and my working contract says 71K. This is basically because they never really wanted to pay me what the contract said but in the end I convinced them it was necessary to have this amount of money to live. So they fudged some incentive payments over the whole year to make up for the difference. Shady accounting and a total headache but this is only a small portion of the unprofessional things they did. Then finally five months ago they moved me to 100%. Then they fired me.

Strange, but ok. My question is, how will the RAV (or Unia) calculate the amount I should get in benefit. I have read its based on the last six months pay. But I have heard others say you need to submit your last 12 months pay slips to Unica. I have never even gotten a pay slip, just a transfer to my account each month. I have seen the accounting books though so I know they paid all the taxes. Also AHV, BVG, etc. Within the law.

Anyway I dont really know what to do or how to approach my employer to get the right information so the RAV and Unia understand. After all I have paid in benefit insurance on an average of about 85K annual since I started working in August 2010. Its just that it came from all these different "designations" and never matched up with the contract that was used to get my working permit.

Now I have a full B permit and a 100% contract and things are "normal", but this is only since July 1, 2012.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29.09.2012, 12:05
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Richterswil
Posts: 541
Groaned at 11 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 378 Times in 169 Posts
Breezy has an excellent reputationBreezy has an excellent reputationBreezy has an excellent reputationBreezy has an excellent reputation
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Speak to your local RAV. They will tell you what information you need to submit, where you can get it from, how they calculate payments and how the system works. Basically everything you need to know.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29.09.2012, 12:46
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,517
Groaned at 424 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 17,575 Times in 9,847 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Are you entitled to unemployment benefit if you're now working again? I thought it was only for when you were out of work and you claimed it then? Why didn't you go and claim straightaway?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 30.09.2012, 15:45
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 17 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 23 Posts
digitsclimb has become a little unpopular
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Thanks for the responses.

To be clear. I never stopped working. It was always for the same employer. Just that they changed the contract each year, increasing the pay and percentage of work. In fact I still work there. My last day is on November 30.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30.09.2012, 16:36
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the responses.

To be clear. I never stopped working. It was always for the same employer. Just that they changed the contract each year, increasing the pay and percentage of work. In fact I still work there. My last day is on November 30.
Your unemployment benefits will be based on the average of the last 12 months earnings.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30.09.2012, 16:54
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 17 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 23 Posts
digitsclimb has become a little unpopular
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Quote:
View Post
Your unemployment benefits will be based on the average of the last 12 months earnings.
Thanks for your response. This is the crux of my question. While I have seen some publications that say six months I realize it could be 12. But as I explained, my actual earnings (ie the amount I paid tax on) was higher than my contract amount. This is because they added 25% each month (consistently the same each month) after the contract was written.

So I don't really know what to say to the RAV. After all I have been living on this larger amount, and my new contract actually reflects it.

So when you say earnings? do you mean ALL earnings?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30.09.2012, 17:53
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your response. This is the crux of my question. While I have seen some publications that say six months I realize it could be 12. But as I explained, my actual earnings (ie the amount I paid tax on) was higher than my contract amount. This is because they added 25% each month (consistently the same each month) after the contract was written.

So I don't really know what to say to the RAV. After all I have been living on this larger amount, and my new contract actually reflects it.

So when you say earnings? do you mean ALL earnings?

Thanks
It's all earnings on which unemployment insurance is paid for over the last 12 months. If your earnings are always the same then 6 months may be used, with variable earnings or where a 13 months salary is paid then 12 months are used.

The Casse will require monthly or an annuel salary slip fron the company. The law does not mandate monthly payslips, so they cant insist on monthly!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30.09.2012, 18:37
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 17 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 23 Posts
digitsclimb has become a little unpopular
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Quote:
View Post
It's all earnings on which unemployment insurance is paid for over the last 12 months. If your earnings are always the same then 6 months may be used, with variable earnings or where a 13 months salary is paid then 12 months are used.

The Casse will require monthly or an annuel salary slip fron the company. The law does not mandate monthly payslips, so they cant insist on monthly!
This is very helpful. Thank You
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30.09.2012, 18:49
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Your employer(s) where you worked for the past 24 months complete the form(s), stating all your benefits: wages, expenses, holidays, etc. The unemployment financial office you have chosen, UNIA, (NOT the RAV), will then calculate your entitlement. You are then paid approximately 70% of the salary you earned over the previous 12 months. If you have children then you receive another 10%, plus any family allowances due to you.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30.09.2012, 19:15
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Quote:
View Post
Your employer(s) where you worked for the past 24 months complete the form(s), stating all your benefits: wages, expenses, holidays, etc. The unemployment financial office you have chosen, UNIA, (NOT the RAV), will then calculate your entitlement. You are then paid approximately 70% of the salary you earned over the previous 12 months. If you have children then you receive another 10%, plus any family allowances due to you.
Employers form http://www.treffpunkt-arbeit.ch/date...sfuellbar2.pdf
Employees form http://www.treffpunkt-arbeit.ch/date...sfuellbar2.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30.09.2012, 23:12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 17 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 23 Posts
digitsclimb has become a little unpopular
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Thanks. THis is all very helpful. Unfortunately Im still not clear but will cross my fingers. I earned about 25% of my money in planned "incentives" that were paid monthly. So I received the same each month. Still not clear if they will calculate based on the larger amount (incl. the 25%) or the smaller amount. I see on the pay calculation that I paid the 1.1% insurance premium on ALL the money. So hopefully they will consider the larger amount.

My wife will also be four months pregnant on my last day of work. Lovely.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 30.09.2012, 23:57
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,742
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,636 Times in 7,826 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Quote:
View Post
Thanks. THis is all very helpful. Unfortunately Im still not clear but will cross my fingers. I earned about 25% of my money in planned "incentives" that were paid monthly. So I received the same each month. Still not clear if they will calculate based on the larger amount (incl. the 25%) or the smaller amount. I see on the pay calculation that I paid the 1.1% insurance premium on ALL the money. So hopefully they will consider the larger amount.

My wife will also be four months pregnant on my last day of work. Lovely.
good luck with everything. hope it works out for you and maybe you can post your results so that others can benefit from what you discover...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01.10.2012, 00:24
minoan's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
minoan has no particular reputation at present
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Quote:
View Post
Your employer(s) where you worked for the past 24 months complete the form(s), stating all your benefits: wages, expenses, holidays, etc. The unemployment financial office you have chosen, UNIA, (NOT the RAV), will then calculate your entitlement. You are then paid approximately 70% of the salary you earned over the previous 12 months. If you have children then you receive another 10%, plus any family allowances due to you.

Do you know what percentange of your salary you're entitled if you've worked only 12 for months in switzerland (one employer, 100%)?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01.10.2012, 10:02
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Quote:
View Post
Thanks. THis is all very helpful. Unfortunately Im still not clear but will cross my fingers. I earned about 25% of my money in planned "incentives" that were paid monthly. So I received the same each month. Still not clear if they will calculate based on the larger amount (incl. the 25%) or the smaller amount. I see on the pay calculation that I paid the 1.1% insurance premium on ALL the money. So hopefully they will consider the larger amount.

My wife will also be four months pregnant on my last day of work. Lovely.
Please re read what I wrote in answer 7. the question has been answered.

Quote:
View Post
Do you know what percentange of your salary you're entitled if you've worked only 12 for months in switzerland (one employer, 100%)?
I know your new, so possibly using the search function would help, this question is answered at least once a month.
The info is also here www.rav.ch
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 01.10.2012, 10:11
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Quote:
View Post
Your employer(s) where you worked for the past 24 months complete the form(s), stating all your benefits: wages, expenses, holidays, etc. The unemployment financial office you have chosen, UNIA, (NOT the RAV), will then calculate your entitlement. You are then paid approximately 70% of the salary you earned over the previous 12 months. If you have children then you receive another 10%, plus any family allowances due to you.
Quote:
View Post
Do you know what percentange of your salary you're entitled if you've worked only 12 for months in switzerland (one employer, 100%)?
Do you read English Minoan? Which part was not clear? Do I have to write it out all over again?

(Yes I am being pompously rude to you, I think you deserve that. Please note that I did not groan you, nor give you bad rep, so you got off lightly)

.

Last edited by Sbrinz; 01.10.2012 at 11:47.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 01.10.2012, 19:30
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 17 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 23 Posts
digitsclimb has become a little unpopular
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Quote:
View Post
Please re read what I wrote in answer 7. the question has been answered.


I know your new, so possibly using the search function would help, this question is answered at least once a month.
The info is also here www.rav.ch
Thanks for the clarification. Again this is really helpful. Much appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02.10.2012, 12:21
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
ktln has no particular reputation at present
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Quote:
View Post
Do you know what percentange of your salary you're entitled if you've worked only 12 for months in switzerland (one employer, 100%)?
As far as I know -and I got this info from an unemployment agency-, it is not the percentage that changes if you have worked more or less than 12months, it is the length of the period you will get unemployment benefits. If you have worked for 12 months in the last 2 yrs, you are entitled to benefits for roughly 1 yr, if you worked 18months or more, the period will be about 2 yrs.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02.10.2012, 13:09
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much unemployment benefit§

Quote:
View Post
As far as I know -and I got this info from an unemployment agency-, it is not the percentage that changes if you have worked more or less than 12months, it is the length of the period you will get unemployment benefits. If you have worked for 12 months in the last 2 yrs, you are entitled to benefits for roughly 1 yr, if you worked 18months or more, the period will be about 2 yrs.
For most people the max payout is 400 days (approx 18 months) to be taken over 2 years. If you only qualify for 260 days its still can be taken over a 2 year period.

If you have only worked 11 months in 24 you will get ZERO, you have to work at least 12 months but not at 100%. You payout is based on what you earned over the LAST 12 months, so 2 x 6 month jobs with a 6 month gap will end up with a payout of 35-40% rather than 70-80%.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 02.10.2012, 13:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,421
Groaned at 51 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,742 Times in 719 Posts
simplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much unemployment benefits

The AWA Basel made up a multivision presentation which answers a lot of questions.
http://www.awa.bs.ch/unemployed
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank simplon for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 02.10.2012, 22:10
minoan's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
minoan has no particular reputation at present
Re: How much unemployment benefits

Quote:
View Post
The AWA Basel made up a multivision presentation which answers a lot of questions.
http://www.awa.bs.ch/unemployed
very useful! thank you simplon!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
benefit, rav, tax, unemployment, unica




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paid unemployment benefits being reclaimed by unemployment office johnmayer Employment 6 21.09.2012 09:11
How to avoid penalization of unemployment benefits while agreeing to mutual agreement Gema Employment 9 27.07.2011 15:03
L Permit - unemployment benefits? OZHK Permits/visas/government 9 03.12.2010 20:41
Unemployment benefits juice99 Employment 9 21.06.2010 09:51
Unemployment benefits finished ... markalex Employment 13 31.10.2009 22:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0