Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.12.2012, 07:42
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flowers23 has no particular reputation at present
Job offer-Basel

Hello

I have been offered a position in a pharma company in Basel with a salary of ~ 88000 CHF per year. I've looked on the salary calculator etc and that seems fairly reasonable. I was wondering if this level of salary is sufficient to support a comfortable lifestyle in Basel? I am single with no dependents and I would be moving from the UK. I have researched living costs etc online and it seems do-able, but I would appreciate personal perspectives from people who live in Switzerland to set my mind at ease. I am a little confused about tax but I imagine I would be paying withholding tax, as I would be working under a class B permit. I understand that taxes are higher in Basel Stadt than in Basel land but at least initially I would prefer to live in the heart of the city.

Many thanks for any advice or help
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.12.2012, 08:41
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,358
Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer-Basel

YEs, you can live comfortably on this. I'll send you a PM
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank biff for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 07.12.2012, 08:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 298
Groaned at 67 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 111 Posts
UktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisanceUktoSwiss is considered a nuisance
Re: Job offer-Basel

Hi
This is ok, not more. I would say from experience equivalent to 28K-30K GBP in England (outside London).

However it depends exactly what you are going to do. If you are going to run a lab, this is clearly not enough. If you are going to clean floors, this is clearly too much. Please let me know more (PM)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.12.2012, 09:12
MrsSerendipity's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,648
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,416 Times in 704 Posts
MrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer-Basel

Can you live comfortable on that money in Basel?

Yep You will be fine. It will take a little adjustment at first because i think things are much higher priced than what is first thought... example Heating!

But once you get throught he firtst 6 months you will understand your finances alot better & you should be fine!

Congrats on he new Job BTW

I think Basel is a lovely place to live!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.12.2012, 12:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flowers23 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Job offer-Basel

Thank you all for your thoughts! It is really helpful to gain 'insider' perspectives and looks like I would be ok on that salary.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.12.2012, 12:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Job offer-Basel

Quote:
View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts! It is really helpful to gain 'insider' perspectives and looks like I would be ok on that salary.

Thanks again
For a more practical answer, dependent on your own definitions of 'comfortable', ask yourself whether you could live comfortably in London on about half of that in Sterling, i.e. around 44k per year. Very roughly speaking that's about an equivalent level, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.12.2012, 12:28
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer-Basel

You may find old posts (and old people quoting them :-) ) stating that taxes in the city (BS) are much higher than the suburbs (BL).

For a single person that's not true any more; the taxes don't differ much unless you move so far out it'll take you half an hour on a TRAIN to get to the main station.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.12.2012, 18:26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flowers23 has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
For a more practical answer, dependent on your own definitions of 'comfortable', ask yourself whether you could live comfortably in London on about half of that in Sterling, i.e. around 44k per year. Very roughly speaking that's about an equivalent level, IMO.
That is more than I am paid now and I live in quite an expensive area of the UK (not London). That is a really helpful comparison for me to make.

Thank you

Quote:
View Post
You may find old posts (and old people quoting them :-) ) stating that taxes in the city (BS) are much higher than the suburbs (BL).

For a single person that's not true any more; the taxes don't differ much unless you move so far out it'll take you half an hour on a TRAIN to get to the main station.
OK great, my research has given me the wrong impression about the tax differences then. Thank you very much for the information.

Last edited by jrspet; 07.12.2012 at 23:47. Reason: Merging of successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.12.2012, 23:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 73
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Muuvaara is considered knowledgeableMuuvaara is considered knowledgeableMuuvaara is considered knowledgeable
Re: Job offer-Basel

Quote:
View Post
You may find old posts (and old people quoting them :-) ) stating that taxes in the city (BS) are much higher than the suburbs (BL).

For a single person that's not true any more; the taxes don't differ much unless you move so far out it'll take you half an hour on a TRAIN to get to the main station.
While this is true for somebody who is paying Quellensteuer, regular income tax continues to be much higher in Basel Stadt than in Basel Landt. The OP will probably be paying his taxes in the Quellensteuer regime, though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07.12.2012, 23:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,358
Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer-Basel

Quote:
View Post
While this is true for somebody who is paying Quellensteuer, regular income tax continues to be much higher in Basel Stadt than in Basel Landt. The OP will probably be paying his taxes in the Quellensteuer regime, though.
What is that?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.12.2012, 00:13
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer-Basel

Quote:
View Post
Wregular income tax continues to be much higher in Basel Stadt than in Basel Landt
Can you provide a link to the figures?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08.12.2012, 10:23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 73
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Muuvaara is considered knowledgeableMuuvaara is considered knowledgeableMuuvaara is considered knowledgeable
Re: Job offer-Basel

Quote:
View Post
Can you provide a link to the figures?
The tax calculator at www.comparis.ch states that if you are single with no kids earning 100 000 CHF/year, your yearly Quellensteuer (PAYE) is 16159 CHF in BS and 14199 CHF in BL - no big difference there, as you suggested. However, your Steuervergleich will be 28287 in the city of Basel but only 19277-22268 in BL (depending on the Gemeinde). Of course you will get some deductions if you submit a tax declaration, but in my understanding your deductions are rather similar in BS and BL, so that wouldn't remove the difference.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Muuvaara for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 08.12.2012, 10:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 73
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Muuvaara is considered knowledgeableMuuvaara is considered knowledgeableMuuvaara is considered knowledgeable
Re: Job offer-Basel

Quote:
View Post
I have been offered a position in a pharma company in Basel with a salary of ~ 88000 CHF per year.
Flowers23, the salary you have been offered is perfectly acceptable for a junior researcher or a software developer without any special expertise in high demand. The lifestyle it allows depends on your preferences. If you would like to eat out every night, you will be in for a shock - a very mediocre dinner here will cost 30+ CHF, and a good one 50-100CHF. However, if you mostly cook at home, like trekking/skiing in the mountains, and don't mind living in a small town rather than a metropole, you could have a spectacular lifestyle on that. Also, assuming you are not a Swiss citizen by birth, and not marrying one any time soon, all this talk about Steuervergleich will not affect you in any way - as you suggested, Quellensteuer/PAYE/withholding tax is the one you will initially be paying.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08.12.2012, 11:13
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer-Basel

Quote:
View Post
The tax calculator at www.comparis.ch states that if you are single with no kids earning 100 000 CHF/year, your yearly Quellensteuer (PAYE) is 16159 CHF in BS and 14199 CHF in BL - no big difference there, as you suggested. However, your Steuervergleich will be 28287 in the city of Basel but only 19277-22268 in BL (depending on the Gemeinde). Of course you will get some deductions if you submit a tax declaration, but in my understanding your deductions are rather similar in BS and BL, so that wouldn't remove the difference.
I somehow got different values. I guess it depends where in Basel Land. I was originally looking at Allschwil which is the same as Basel Stadt.
Attached Thumbnails
job-offer-basel-tax.png  
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08.12.2012, 12:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 73
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Muuvaara is considered knowledgeableMuuvaara is considered knowledgeableMuuvaara is considered knowledgeable
Re: Job offer-Basel

Adrianlondon: try choosing any BL Gemeinde as your Wohnort on the front page (instead of Basel-Stadt), and you will see the numbers I quoted. Cannot explain the discrepancy myself - if anybody else knows why these numbers differ by thousands of francs, I would be very keen to hear the explanation!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Muuvaara for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 08.12.2012, 12:33
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer-Basel

Me too. I'm looking to move to a bigger apartment and if moving just 1 or 2km further gives me thousands more CHF I may add it into the mix. Probably still outweighted by the fact I want to be able to walk to the town centre in under 20 minutes, but at least I'd know the sacrifices
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08.12.2012, 14:16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flowers23 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Job offer-Basel

Quote:
View Post
Flowers23, the salary you have been offered is perfectly acceptable for a junior researcher or a software developer without any special expertise in high demand. The lifestyle it allows depends on your preferences. If you would like to eat out every night, you will be in for a shock - a very mediocre dinner here will cost 30+ CHF, and a good one 50-100CHF. However, if you mostly cook at home, like trekking/skiing in the mountains, and don't mind living in a small town rather than a metropole, you could have a spectacular lifestyle on that. Also, assuming you are not a Swiss citizen by birth, and not marrying one any time soon, all this talk about Steuervergleich will not affect you in any way - as you suggested, Quellensteuer/PAYE/withholding tax is the one you will initially be paying.
Thank you very much, this confirms what I thought although I do find the tax variation quite confusing! It looks like the salary will be enough for the kind of lifestyle I would like/am used to.

Thanks once again, this has all helped me figure out the practicalities of finances and the move.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08.12.2012, 14:44
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,006
Groaned at 208 Times in 127 Posts
Thanked 1,951 Times in 963 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: Job offer-Basel

Quote:
View Post
e, you could have a spectacular lifestyle on that.
depends on your definition of spectacular
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08.12.2012, 17:16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 73
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Muuvaara is considered knowledgeableMuuvaara is considered knowledgeableMuuvaara is considered knowledgeable
Re: Job offer-Basel

Quote:
View Post
depends on your definition of spectacular
Sure, hence the conditional. 88 kCHF per year in Basel is enough for a very nice bachelor(ette) apartment right in the city center, a weekend trip to the mountains or to France/Italy twice a month, and the best health care in the world; some actually find that spectacular. If you want to spend all your leisure time heliskiing and cocktail bar hopping, plus buy a new Porsche every year, then 88 kCHF is clearly not going to be enough.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Job offer in Basel / good deal? Cakes Employment 16 12.10.2011 12:00
Job offer Delphinium Blue Jokes/funnies 0 07.10.2008 22:17
Job offer in Switzerland, Basel lassenc Introductions 2 05.08.2008 01:21
Software Engineer Job Offer in Basel [is it a good one?] rami_bozo Employment 8 11.01.2008 22:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0