English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Employment (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/)
-   -   Job [unexplained delays in feedback] (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/18623-job-unexplained-delays-feedback.html)

saint 08.02.2008 11:09

Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
Hallo people you all having a nice friday morning..

I have found a Job in zurich and i had the interview. but the problem is that the Comapny i had the interview the cant make up the mind. And the agency does not even call me i have to run alll the time after them... What do you think i should do.... :msncrazy:

hugh_abu 08.02.2008 11:10

Re: Job
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint (Post 169720)
Hallo people you all having a nice friday morning..

I have found a Job in zurich and i had the interview. but the problem is that the Comapny i had the interview the cant make up the mind. And the agency does not even call me i have to run alll the time after them... What do you think i should do.... :msncrazy:


Wait !

Darkphoenix 08.02.2008 11:16

Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
These things can take time (some people are on ski holidays now). If they have already met you for an interview they will contact you to say yes or no.

peachy 08.02.2008 11:17

Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
yeah wait, could could be waiting weeks,

don't expect the agency to call you unless they have anything either.

blueshrimp 08.02.2008 11:20

Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
Wait 1 week after your interview. Then call the hiring manager (the guy that interviewed you. You got his business card during the interview, right? It is important that this call is directly to him, not some random HR person) and express your continued interest in the job. But do this in an interesting way. Say something like: "I had been thinking about what you said [during the interview] and thought of these other ways in which I could help your company". Here pick a good problem that they mentioned they needed the employee to solve for the company. Tell them things that will show them how you will add value to their company, and basically take this opportunity to impress them in the phone call.

If you do this right, you should hear from them within a few days. In my experience, if you don't hear within 2 weeks after an interview, they are not interested. So you should never wait more than 1 week or so for that phone call to the hiring manager.

Alternatively, if you are to shy to do the above, you might call and say something like: "I am considering other offers so I would like to know where I stand, because I was very impressed with [insert company name here] during the interview and would love to work here if given the opportunity! However, I need to make a decision within the next [insert time frame here], and beyond that date I will be unable to consider you." That should get you a prompt reply. Beware though, method #2 might get you the answer you already sort of know: If they don't get back to you quickly after an interview, they probably perfer another candidate over you.

Best of luck!

cremebrulee 08.02.2008 11:22

Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
Everything moves slowly in Switzerland. Here, it is difficult to tell if the recruiter/employer's delay is simply due to their natural inability to act quickly, or if they are unsure of your application and are waiting to interview other candidates.

I would politely chase up the recruiter, but still look for other jobs in the meantime. In fact, if they realise that you are applying for other positions, this might prompt some action on their part?

peachy 08.02.2008 11:30

Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueshrimp (Post 169741)
Wait 1 week after your interview. Then call the hiring manager (the guy that interviewed you. You got his business card during the interview, right? It is important that this call is directly to him, not some random HR person) and express your continued interest in the job. But do this in an interesting way. Say something like: "I had been thinking about what you said [during the interview] and thought of these other ways in which I could help your company". Here pick a good problem that they mentioned they needed the employee to solve for the company. Tell them things that will show them how you will add value to their company, and basically take this opportunity to impress them in the phone call.

If you do this right, you should hear from them within a few days. In my experience, if you don't hear within 2 weeks after an interview, they are not interested. So you should never wait more than 1 week or so for that phone call to the hiring manager.

Alternatively, if you are to shy to do the above, you might call and say something like: "I am considering other offers so I would like to know where I stand, because I was very impressed with [insert company name here] during the interview and would love to work here if given the opportunity! However, I need to make a decision within the next [insert time frame here], and beyond that date I will be unable to consider you." That should get you a prompt reply. Beware though, method #2 might get you the answer you already sort of know: If they don't get back to you quickly after an interview, they probably perfer another candidate over you.

Best of luck!

I wouldn't do this at all TBH.

If you had an interview with a bank (i'm guessing here) and they do want to hire you even if they decided to take you on right after the interview they probably have a whole heap of processes to go through before they can make an offer. Whilst they might say the interview went well the hiring manager will know to get everything signed off before stating they will make you an offer.

If the meeting was setup via a recruiter then stick to that channel of communication, it could be seen as pushy to contact the manager direct. For gods sake don't call them and start trying to add to the already concluded interview, they won't appreciate the interruption, and might think you are a bit mad.

saint 08.02.2008 11:32

Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
the think is this. the can make a decision.there is a other person that the need too.The even paid for my flight.But the agency only say the still interested but i have to wait till the give a replay back to the e.mails.

saint 08.02.2008 11:37

Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
the think is that cant make up the mind.The said i know by the next day now is 3days.I have called the agency and the said i have to wait.but the agency traid to make a other offer but i told them i still wanna stick to this job.

peachy 08.02.2008 11:37

Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint (Post 169762)
the think is this. the can make a decision.there is a other person that the need too.The even paid for my flight.But the agency only say the still interested but i have to wait till the give a replay back to the e.mails.

Just wait, I know it's frustrating but there is not much more you can do.

Take cremebrulee's advise and look for other jobs, it will keep you occupied and might turn up something else to fall back on.

Best of luck!

blueshrimp 08.02.2008 11:38

Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by peachy (Post 169759)
I wouldn't do this at all TBH.

If you had an interview with a bank (i'm guessing here) and they do want to hire you even if they decided to take you on right after the interview they probably have a whole heap of processes to go through before they can make an offer. Whilst they might say the interview went well the hiring manager will know to get everything signed off before stating they will make you an offer.

If the meeting was setup via a recruiter then stick to that channel of communication, it could be seen as pushy to contact the manager direct. For gods sake don't call them and start trying to add to the already concluded interview, they won't appreciate the interruption, and might think you are a bit mad.

(shrug). Worked every single time for me. ;)

flow23 08.02.2008 13:39

Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueshrimp (Post 169768)
(shrug). Worked every single time for me. ;)

i did it several times and it worked for me too but only then when i had a fixed day/time they wanted to get back to me and it was 1 week after that time.

Gromble 21.02.2008 22:15

Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
I recently went through something similar with a large international company who shall remain nameless.

I went through an email and phone screening with the recruiter, then an interview with two managers, then another interview with a third manager. I did the usual follow-up a week after the last interview and heard nothing, so did another follow-up after another week and still heard nothing. It's been five weeks in total now.

Needless to say I moved on after the second unanswered email, but I'm floored by how unprofessionally it was handled, having gone that far into the process. Is this the norm in Swiss hiring practices?

Guest 21.02.2008 22:24

Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
I disagree entirely. I would contact the guy that interviewed you, probably after a couple of weeks. The "thanks for the interview call..really interested in your company" call is vital to your prospects of success.

Agencies have been know to lie and cheat, so get it from the horses mouth.

We have discussed this topic before ...within the last three months I think...so do a little search for further points.

I was once contacted a year after I applied for a job.

dave


Quote:

Originally Posted by peachy (Post 169759)
I wouldn't do this at all TBH.

If you had an interview with a bank (i'm guessing here) and they do want to hire you even if they decided to take you on right after the interview they probably have a whole heap of processes to go through before they can make an offer. Whilst they might say the interview went well the hiring manager will know to get everything signed off before stating they will make you an offer.

If the meeting was setup via a recruiter then stick to that channel of communication, it could be seen as pushy to contact the manager direct. For gods sake don't call them and start trying to add to the already concluded interview, they won't appreciate the interruption, and might think you are a bit mad.


peachy 22.02.2008 09:14

Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveA (Post 177214)
I disagree entirely. I would contact the guy that interviewed you, probably after a couple of weeks. The "thanks for the interview call..really interested in your company" call is vital to your prospects of success.

Agencies have been know to lie and cheat, so get it from the horses mouth.

We have discussed this topic before ...within the last three months I think...so do a little search for further points.

I was once contacted a year after I applied for a job.

dave

If several weeks have passed, sure, give them a call direct as you probably have nothing to loose at this point and as you quite rightly point out recruiters are shysters. Never, ever, should you phone up and try to re-interview for the same role out of the blue though, it's embarrassing.

I once had somebody contact me with a job offer one year after my interview, EDS, it was most strange.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:28.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0