Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 10.02.2014, 23:49
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,977
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quotas and future immigration votations thoughts

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, I meant they are all Swiss with Canadian diplomas.
I got that.

At the CHUV all* the nurses are from Quebec. There is a shortage of nurses too. You'd think the Swiss could put together a nursing school or enlarge the ones they have. Not that we don't love our nurses from Quebec.



*yes, every last one.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #242  
Old 11.02.2014, 08:05
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,359
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quotas and future immigration votations thoughts

Quote:
View Post
I got that.

At the CHUV all* the nurses are from Quebec. There is a shortage of nurses too. You'd think the Swiss could put together a nursing school or enlarge the ones they have. Not that we don't love our nurses from Quebec.



*yes, every last one.
And the thing is if a nurse said she got her education in Switzerland, everyone is oooooohhhhing aaaaaaaaahing over how great the education is in Switzerland but somehow, there is not enough people enrolling in it so they have to get nurses from other countries aka French Canadian ones.
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 11.02.2014, 09:01
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,345
Groaned at 104 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 1,495 Times in 676 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quotas and future immigration votations thoughts

Quote:
View Post
I got that.

At the CHUV all* the nurses are from Quebec. There is a shortage of nurses too. You'd think the Swiss could put together a nursing school or enlarge the ones they have. Not that we don't love our nurses from Quebec.



*yes, every last one.
*France & Portugal boast far more than the Québécois...And there are plenty of Suisse nurses actually, the CHUV actually benefits from paying less to foreign graduates

I'd also add that there will be less coming from Quebec, irrespective of the referendum as there is a shortage in Canada and there is less need here now
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 11.02.2014, 09:14
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,147
Groaned at 409 Times in 317 Posts
Thanked 17,127 Times in 9,633 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quotas and future immigration votations thoughts

Quote:
View Post
*France & Portugal boast far more than the Québécois...And there are plenty of Suisse nurses actually, the CHUV actually benefits from paying less to foreign graduates

I'd also add that there will be less coming from Quebec, irrespective of the referendum as there is a shortage in Canada and there is less need here now
It depends on what the pay/working conditions differences are. Many who train as nurses and doctors in the UK, and probably here too, then leave and go off to America or other places where the pay/working conditions are better. The places they don't fill get taken by nurses/doctors from places like India, Asia, etc. Just because there's a shortage in a country doesn't mean it will be filled by its own citizens.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 11.02.2014, 09:19
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,345
Groaned at 104 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 1,495 Times in 676 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quotas and future immigration votations thoughts

Quote:
View Post
It depends on what the pay/working conditions differences are. Many who train as nurses and doctors in the UK, and probably here too, then leave and go off to America or other places where the pay/working conditions are better. The places they don't fill get taken by nurses/doctors from places like India, Asia, etc. Just because there's a shortage in a country doesn't mean it will be filled by its own citizens.
Suisse nurses aren't going abroad for work and certainly not to the US where they have their own nursing crisis...no idea about the UK
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FCBarca for this useful post:
  #246  
Old 11.02.2014, 09:28
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,359
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quotas and future immigration votations thoughts

Quote:
View Post
*France & Portugal boast far more than the Québécois...And there are plenty of Suisse nurses actually, the CHUV actually benefits from paying less to foreign graduates

I'd also add that there will be less coming from Quebec, irrespective of the referendum as there is a shortage in Canada and there is less need here now
Quote:
View Post
It depends on what the pay/working conditions differences are. Many who train as nurses and doctors in the UK, and probably here too, then leave and go off to America or other places where the pay/working conditions are better. The places they don't fill get taken by nurses/doctors from places like India, Asia, etc. Just because there's a shortage in a country doesn't mean it will be filled by its own citizens.
In Quebec the nurse situation is crap. Low salary, too much work, not enough employee mostly because of cuts and because the situation is that crap that if one gets the chance to go abroad for better working conditions, they go.
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 11.02.2014, 10:03
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,743
Groaned at 95 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 6,301 Times in 2,885 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quotas and future immigration votations thoughts

I was told by a Swiss nurse, that he can't work abroad as the Swiss qualification isn't a degree (unlike in UK) and doesn't cover as much stuff. He was intending to go to the UK & get his BSc & MSc so he could head to Canada/Oz/Nz.

Last edited by Island Monkey; 11.02.2014 at 10:33.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 11.02.2014, 10:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Quotas and future immigration votations thoughts

Quote:
View Post
I was told by a Swiss nurse, that he can't work abroad as the Swiss qualification isn't a degree (like in UK) as doesn't cover as much stuff. He was intending to go to the UK & get his BSc & MSc so he could head to Canada/Oz/Nz.

Makes sense given the Swiss education scheme. Most nurses are trained as a job, while nurses in the US and UK, apparently earn a degree in the process. Although some nurses in the US are recipients of diplomas or associate degrees, but those positions may be less responsible and less well paid.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #249  
Old 11.02.2014, 10:44
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,345
Groaned at 104 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 1,495 Times in 676 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quotas and future immigration votations thoughts

Quote:
Makes sense given the Swiss education scheme. Most nurses are trained as a job, while nurses in the US and UK, apparently earn a degree in the process. Although some nurses in the US are recipients of diplomas or associate degrees, but those positions may be less responsible and less well paid.
Even in the US Associate degree nurses are phasing out, particularly in the economic downturn...Worse still, since new graduating nurses require more investment from hospitals to take on & initially train many new grads have been without work...for years!

The nursing education system en Suisse is changing and they're modeling it more towards the US system with Bachelor's degree as well as Masters and even Nurse Practitioner options

There are changes needed and they appear to be heeding it, going into most units en Suisse you'll find an amalgamation of nurses/physicians from different countries and education that fail to have a unified SOP, charting or skill sets...It can be unbelievably chaotic and I have a hard time understanding how it has managed to go on this long like that...But, it does appear changes are on the way...slowly but surely ala les Suisse
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 11.02.2014, 11:03
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Quotas and future immigration votations thoughts

My Swiss nephew is a nurse in Montreal actually.

One of the greatest worries about Sunday's vote is the effect it might have on OAP homes and hospitals here, that rely almost totally on frontaliers and foreign staff. Of course, the situation is dire in nearby France, as they just cannot recruit nurses and other ancillary staff. They train them and they immediately go and work in CH with much higher salaries and better conditions.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #251  
Old 11.02.2014, 17:06
Queen of Cups's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Zurich town
Posts: 361
Groaned at 11 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 436 Times in 201 Posts
Queen of Cups has earned the respect of manyQueen of Cups has earned the respect of manyQueen of Cups has earned the respect of many
Re: Quotas and future immigration votations thoughts

Quote:
View Post

The nursing education system en Suisse is changing and they're modeling it more towards the US system with Bachelor's degree as well as Masters and even Nurse Practitioner options

...But, it does appear changes are on the way...slowly but surely ala les Suisse
You're right - but in fact the new system is already in place. Nursing schools (I should say nursing programs) in Switzerland are already training exclusively towards a BS or Masters of Nursing Science. Here are the programs offered at the University of Applied Sciences in Winterthur, for example:

http://www.gesundheit.zhaw.ch/de/ges...t/studium.html

However, I do not believe that there is such a thing as a Nurse Practitioner in Switzerland. Are you thinking of Pflegeexperten? That would be a Clinical Nurse Specialist, which also takes a Masters Degree. So also advanced but with a different bent and different duties than a Nurse Practitioner.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Queen of Cups for this useful post:
  #252  
Old 13.02.2014, 11:54
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ZH
Posts: 124
Groaned at 55 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 111 Times in 64 Posts
Husky has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
This is a huge problem the gov't is not addressing. Why are there not enough schools in Switzerland to each these skills? Why are they not expanding the universities and offering more places? I never understood this.
Well, if you have a look at the statistics, it would tell you that the situation in Switzerland is already on a very high level, if not a luxurious one. So a loss would only mean to lose a luxurious position to a still advanced one.

According to OECD the density of nurses in Switzerland is the second highest within all OECD countries, 17 per 1000 inhabitants, just after Norway with 19.

Then compare this to the rest of the OECD members, e.g.:

- USA: 11
- Canada: 10
- Germany: 12
- Australia: 12
- Iceland: 15
- Ireland: 12
- Finland: 13
- UK: 9
- France: 8
- Japan: 10

By the way, the highest life expectancy at birth is currently headed by Switzerland (they just recently overtook Japan, but Japan has to invest quite less than a Swiss person to stay healthy ... probably IMHO because of their much healthier food and nuriture, which also possibly also explains their much less request for nurses ): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Switzerland

And what is true about Japan (low health care costs, but highest life expectancy), is also valid for Korea, Greece, Autralia and for France to some extend, for example!

Quote:
View Post

And what is true about Japan (low health care costs, but highest life expectancy), is also valid for Korea, Greece, Autralia and for France to some extend, for example!
... and by the way, also very true for Italy and Spain.

Last edited by lost_inbroad; 13.02.2014 at 12:33. Reason: Merged posts
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quotas for EU2 and EU8 citizen Moko Permits/visas/government 13 11.12.2013 08:47
Unlimited employment and EU-8 quotas namchebazar Permits/visas/government 1 01.12.2013 14:00
Quotas for EU-8 and EU-15 citizens dreamsis Employment 8 07.09.2013 13:02
Unwanted thoughts and worries ocpaul20 Family matters/health 62 18.12.2012 08:41
EU calls on Swiss to lift immigration quotas The Local Swiss politics/news 8 29.06.2012 14:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0