Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.05.2015, 10:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Travelling
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Ireland00 has earned some respectIreland00 has earned some respect
Particular question on teaching English (unique question)

There's lots of information on the forum in previous threads, but none which are of particular use to me. This thread could open up a general discussion too which will be of use to those in my situation.

Hello.

Qualifications:

Irish (EU citizen)
BA in English History and Literature
Hopefully a masters in education
CELTA
7 month academy teaching experience
2 years language assistant
a c1/2 level of French (I will test depending on what I think I'm capable of)

I intend to emigrate to the French part of Switzerland, particularly Lausanne, in two-3 years time. I want to work in academies and

What I want to know:

Can I relatively easily get a stable job with at least 15 hours a week, at minimum 25 francs an hour?

Can I support myself by flatsharing, renting a bike, eating rice, canned fish and vegetables, AND save up to train to work in the public school system?

Realistically, how feasible is it to live in Lausanne on an ESL teacher's salary?

There's a possibility I won't have a masters, so is it possible for me to study a masters and then train to be a teacher in the public school (financially)?

IS it highly unlikely that I will get a job in an international teaching school without a QTS?

I've considered taking a loan from Swiss banks to finance my education, but I understand it's very difficult because I'm foreign, so I'm not counting on that.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.05.2015, 11:51
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,511
Groaned at 408 Times in 272 Posts
Thanked 17,675 Times in 5,454 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Particular question on teaching English (unique question)

Your qualifications are excellent. I could see you easily being hired by an English Language school. Depending on your success there, you could make enough to live on but your salary won't be all that high and your working hours will be all over the place, including evenings and Saturdays.

Switzerland now has many locals who are reaching proficiency level and have Swiss teaching qualifications and, consequently, they are the job candidates who will be reviewed first and chosen for any public school jobs.

Finding a stable job in teaching English is difficult. It's a rewarding job but, to be honest, works best for those who aren't solely dependent on it for their livelihood. However, if you complete your Master's, your chances of finding a more stable and better-paid job in teaching will increase significantly.

I hope my answer helps. Good luck.
__________________
Faith isn't about everything turning out okay. Faith is about being okay no matter how things turn out.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 21.05.2015, 20:33
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: near Langenthal, BE
Posts: 939
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,079 Times in 467 Posts
swisscanmom has an excellent reputationswisscanmom has an excellent reputationswisscanmom has an excellent reputationswisscanmom has an excellent reputation
Re: Particular question on teaching English (unique question)

IF you get your masters of education, you might be able to have your degree recognized to work in public schools, since your French is at a high level as well.
Check here for more info: http://www.edk.ch/dyn/16429.php


You could contact one of the teacher's colleges in the area as well, for instance: http://www.hepl.ch
http://www.ifp-ge.ch
They may recognize a lot of your previous education and give you advanced standing.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21.05.2015, 20:41
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Particular question on teaching English (unique question)

Quote:
View Post

I intend to emigrate to the French part of Switzerland, particularly Lausanne, in two-3 years time. I want to work in academies and
The pedant in me thinks that a qualified teaching professional in English, should know to write "2-3 years" or "two - three years", but not a mixture of words and figures ..... but that's just me - and it's a slow evening.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21.05.2015, 20:44
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich t
Posts: 6,322
Groaned at 40 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 6,414 Times in 2,948 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Particular question on teaching English (unique question)

I know someone who was earning serious money (100chf an hour) for teaching 'business english' for business professionals through and agency that had contracts with some corporate clients... This may be more lucrative than basic english teaching - you'd only need maybe 10 hours a week to be very comfortable as a student....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21.05.2015, 21:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Particular question on teaching English (unique question)

My only thought was riding a bike in Lausanne??? Have you seen the hills there? I think a bus/tram pass is well worth the investment.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21.05.2015, 22:12
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,511
Groaned at 408 Times in 272 Posts
Thanked 17,675 Times in 5,454 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Particular question on teaching English (unique question)

Quote:
View Post
I know someone who was earning serious money (100chf an hour) for teaching 'business english' for business professionals through and agency that had contracts with some corporate clients... This may be more lucrative than basic english teaching - you'd only need maybe 10 hours a week to be very comfortable as a student....
I know this sounds like a lot but these wages are usually paid per lesson only, which means that quite often, 13 weeks a year are unpaid. These kind of lessons are great for some additional pocket money but considering all the holidays and vacation Switzerland has, it is still quite often just barely enough to live on.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 24.05.2015, 13:08
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Travelling
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Ireland00 has earned some respectIreland00 has earned some respect
Quote:
View Post
Your qualifications are excellent. I could see you easily being hired by an English Language school. Depending on your success there, you could make enough to live on but your salary won't be all that high and your working hours will be all over the place, including evenings and Saturdays.

Switzerland now has many locals who are reaching proficiency level and have Swiss teaching qualifications and, consequently, they are the job candidates who will be reviewed first and chosen for any public school jobs.

Finding a stable job in teaching English is difficult. It's a rewarding job but, to be honest, works best for those who aren't solely dependent on it for their livelihood. However, if you complete your Master's, your chances of finding a more stable and better-paid job in teaching will increase significantly.

I hope my answer helps. Good luck.
Hi, thanks for replying. Work in an academy was for me a means to an end. I originally planned on studying in Switzerland to be a public school teacher. I'm still not decided, but perhaps I will do my masters and teaching qualification in Ireland, where I understand it will be recognised

Quote:
View Post
IF you get your masters of education, you might be able to have your degree recognized to work in public schools, since your French is at a high level as well.
Check here for more info: http://www.edk.ch/dyn/16429.php


You could contact one of the teacher's colleges in the area as well, for instance: http://www.hepl.ch
http://www.ifp-ge.ch
They may recognize a lot of your previous education and give you advanced standing.
Hi, thanks for the info. I checked it out and it seems like they will recognise my qualifications. I'm going to do more research and make inquiries, but this sounds good. Thank you

Quote:
View Post
The pedant in me thinks that a qualified teaching professional in English, should know to write "2-3 years" or "two - three years", but not a mixture of words and figures ..... but that's just me - and it's a slow evening.
Yes, you're right. It was a mistake. Thank you for pointing it out.

Quote:
View Post
I know someone who was earning serious money (100chf an hour) for teaching 'business english' for business professionals through and agency that had contracts with some corporate clients... This may be more lucrative than basic english teaching - you'd only need maybe 10 hours a week to be very comfortable as a student....
Yeah I know that's where the big money lies, but I was told that it takes years and connections to get to that level, and I have neither

Last edited by MusicChick; 29.05.2015 at 06:42. Reason: consecutive posting
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29.05.2015, 01:25
FMX's Avatar
FMX FMX is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BE
Posts: 700
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 461 Times in 260 Posts
FMX is considered knowledgeableFMX is considered knowledgeableFMX is considered knowledgeable
Re: Particular question on teaching English (unique question)

Hello and welcome!

Be carefull: Having a master from a swiss teacher's college doesn't get you a job automatically, only some more chances on a very competitive market.

If you do that, I'd recommand to have enough ressources and a plan B in case the job search should be more difficult than expected.

Personnally, I'd recommand to get a master from your country, where you can go back (your roots, familiy&friends) should you not like it here.
What would you do with a swiss master in education if you come to the conclusion that Switzerland is not for you ?

Good luck
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank FMX for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 29.05.2015, 09:37
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,440
Groaned at 418 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 17,489 Times in 9,806 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Particular question on teaching English (unique question)

I suggest you keep abreast of what's happening regarding curbing EU migration as recently voted for by the Swiss public. There are measures due to come into force in a couple of years' time which may severely limit your plans. It's all still being thrashed out with the EU at the moment so no one knows yet what exactly the Swiss Federal government will do, but they do have to do something. They can't ignore the people's vote so worst case would be that they simply withdraw from the Free Movement Agreement altogether. Another possibility is re-introducing quota limits for EU nationals.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 29.05.2015, 09:40
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 280 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Particular question on teaching English (unique question)

Quote:
View Post
The pedant in me thinks that a qualified teaching professional in English, should know to write "2-3 years" or "two - three years", but not a mixture of words and figures ..... but that's just me - and it's a slow evening.
It's not just you. The latest post from the OP has my "qualified to teach english, my arse" radar going.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 28.02.2016, 11:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
kateling has no particular reputation at present
Re: Particular question on teaching English (unique question)

Hi there,

I'm an English teacher from Ireland who is on the long path to becoming qualified for the public sector here - feel free to drop me a PM if you want to chat a bit more about my experiences

I came here through a language assistant programme, which is a great way to start off if you're interested in teaching in Switzerland. Unfortunately the deadline just passed for next year's assistants, but maybe you can fire off an application anyway, or try next year:
https://www.ch-go.ch/de/meta/program...n-der-schweiz/

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cost of living advise, lausanne, salary expectations, teaching english




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rough 'per unit' wage question - ESL Training (English/Business English) wunnspeed Employment 0 31.10.2014 18:52
Important question about job post on english forum kaihayden Employment 5 10.09.2012 15:36
FAQs - you SURE your question/problem/requirement is unique? Look here before asking Longbyt Housing in general 0 22.01.2011 23:08
English question, from an english speaker Find the time Language corner 29 12.02.2010 22:19
Language course question (English in English speaking country) 5AVeci Other/general 0 25.08.2008 10:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0