Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.03.2017, 18:22
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Jura-Basel
Posts: 13
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PurdueBoilermaker has no particular reputation at present
New Career

Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for ideas and advice about a new career in Switzerland. I earned a sociology and criminal justice degree from Purdue University. I never worked in my degree field, had the luck to play professional basketball all around the world. Worked as a professional basketball coach and sports teacher as well. I met my wife while playing in Switzerland and the time came to settle down, build a family and give up all the travelling and moving around. We are residing in the Jura-Basel canton area.

Thank you for the ideas and advice.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08.03.2017, 19:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 28
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
nana2000 has no particular reputation at present
Intersoccer are looking for coaches if you can turn your hand to that. You are obvs sporty.
http://www.intersoccer.ch/coaching-opportunities/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08.03.2017, 20:49
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,489
Groaned at 372 Times in 287 Posts
Thanked 16,317 Times in 9,258 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Career

Wife is Swiss? EU? Non-EU? The type of permit she/you has makes a difference in your work opportunities. How old are you (roughly if you like)? Again age can be a factor in getting a job or starting a new career.

Given your previous career you might want to contact the Swiss Basketball Federation and see if they have any advice/suggestions for you.

http://www.swissbasketball.ch/fr
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.03.2017, 22:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Jura-Basel
Posts: 13
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PurdueBoilermaker has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Career

Wife is Swiss and I am holding a B permit. I am 35 and looking for a job outside of sports.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08.03.2017, 22:30
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,489
Groaned at 372 Times in 287 Posts
Thanked 16,317 Times in 9,258 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Career

Job or career? A job doing something should be easy enough to find, a new career more difficult. Swiss employers like university degrees and for people to work in professions related to those degrees. If you don't want to use that or your basketball skills/experience then you might get a job flipping burgers in McDonald's, work on a construction site, etc. But a new career as a Marketing Manager for example, forget it. You don't have the relevant degree and no experience. Might be able to work your way up to manager at McD's, but you'd still start with the flipping burgers part of the business first.

This is all a generalisation, but you get what I'm saying I hope.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09.03.2017, 11:43
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Jura-Basel
Posts: 13
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PurdueBoilermaker has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Career

A career of course.
I understood your example and I hope it won't be that hard to find a new career. Thank you for your reply
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09.03.2017, 14:04
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,361
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Career

Quote:
View Post
I hope it won't be that hard to find a new career
Don't get your hopes up, it's indeed extremely difficult.

You need to narrow this down a little. When you say "outside sports", what do you mean? Not teaching/coaching anymore or is anything remotely connected to sports out of question? If the latter, you better rethink it cause you're not necessarily in a position to be overly picky.

You must have some ideas or done some research. You can't just ask what it is you should do with your life without giving any pointers whatsoever.

I really see very few options with this type of history/background and I doubt you will build some awesome career anywhere else any time soon. One option could be to try to get into teaching regardless and then move on from there.

You also have to understand that Switzerland has a largely high-skilled, extremely competitive labor market. This is not a country where people give others "a chance" at something random.

Also, do you speak any local languages?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09.03.2017, 14:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,490
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 24,180 Times in 7,601 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Career

Another way to look at this is is to first take Switzerland out of the frame:

If you were standing at the same crossroads back home, what career options would you have? What steps would you take to enter another field?

Once you focus on what careers/fields/jobs might be within your reach given your education, experiences, and skills, then the forum can be of more help. If you first define the goal(s), we can perhaps then help you to map out the way there from a Swiss perspective.



(Btw, given your username: Howdy and welcome, from an honorary Hoosier. )
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 09.03.2017, 14:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 89
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 40 Times in 25 Posts
KevinDK has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Career

I am not that much into the segment of It.


however I do have a friend woring as a IT ingeneer, creating apps for various companies.


He tells me that there is a big demand for software testers. From what he told you can take a short course like 2-3 months and then with some luck you should be able to land a job.


I totally forgot the name of the course he was refering to, but maybe some of the IT people on EF can kick in with some more info.


Anyway thats my not so concrete 50 cents
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09.03.2017, 14:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rosaseok has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Career

If you can tell me more about software tester info, It will be very helpful..
Because I am struggling find a job in Switzerland.
I have computer science major....
Please help me...

Quote:
View Post
I am not that much into the segment of It.


however I do have a friend woring as a IT ingeneer, creating apps for various companies.


He tells me that there is a big demand for software testers. From what he told you can take a short course like 2-3 months and then with some luck you should be able to land a job.


I totally forgot the name of the course he was refering to, but maybe some of the IT people on EF can kick in with some more info.


Anyway thats my not so concrete 50 cents
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09.03.2017, 15:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Jura-Basel
Posts: 13
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PurdueBoilermaker has no particular reputation at present
I meant outside of professional sports. Teaching and coaching would be an option to think about and build on it. I am fluent in German, French average knowledge and Russian basic knowledge. Holding the B permit.

Quote:
View Post
Don't get your hopes up, it's indeed extremely difficult.

You need to narrow this down a little. When you say "outside sports", what do you mean? Not teaching/coaching anymore or is anything remotely connected to sports out of question? If the latter, you better rethink it cause you're not necessarily in a position to be overly picky.

You must have some ideas or done some research. You can't just ask what it is you should do with your life without giving any pointers whatsoever.

I really see very few options with this type of history/background and I doubt you will build some awesome career anywhere else any time soon. One option could be to try to get into teaching regardless and then move on from there.

You also have to understand that Switzerland has a largely high-skilled, extremely competitive labor market. This is not a country where people give others "a chance" at something random.

Also, do you speak any local languages?
I meant outside of professional sports. Teaching and coaching would be an option to think about and build on it. I am fluent in German, French average knowledge and Russian basic knowledge. Holding the B permit.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 10.03.2017 at 22:20. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09.03.2017, 15:38
njusta83's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 353
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 265 Times in 150 Posts
njusta83 has earned the respect of manynjusta83 has earned the respect of manynjusta83 has earned the respect of many
Re: New Career

what about getting the necessary degree? (once you have decided which direction you want to go). There are plenty of adult schools which offer all degrees that you can dream of. You will have to do your own research though in finding the best school with the right accreditation for the path you want to go.
re sports: i have friends that work(ed) for Iron Man, Ochsner sport etc. so you can check out the 'sporty' companies and see if there are options there
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09.03.2017, 15:38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
UrbanWarrior has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Career

Would you perhaps have an interest as a sports coach at an international school?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09.03.2017, 15:38
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Jura-Basel
Posts: 13
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PurdueBoilermaker has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Another way to look at this is is to first take Switzerland out of the frame:

If you were standing at the same crossroads back home, what career options would you have? What steps would you take to enter another field?

Once you focus on what careers/fields/jobs might be within your reach given your education, experiences, and skills, then the forum can be of more help. If you first define the goal(s), we can perhaps then help you to map out the way there from a Swiss perspective.



(Btw, given your username: Howdy and welcome, from an honorary Hoosier. )
My home is Switzerland now for the last year. I met my wife here and we decided to stayed and build our future here. Originally I am from Serbia. The field I would love to work for is Law enforcement, interior affairs and government work. I think under Swiss law it's impossible for me to work in Law enforcement and similar fields.

( To a Hoosier I am doing well. How are you? Did you follow up on the last Purdue vs IU basketball game? Boiler Up! )

Quote:
View Post
what about getting the necessary degree? (once you have decided which direction you want to go). There are plenty of adult schools which offer all degrees that you can dream of. You will have to do your own research though in finding the best school with the right accreditation for the path you want to go.
re sports: i have friends that work(ed) for Iron Man, Ochsner sport etc. so you can check out the 'sporty' companies and see if there are options there
That's one more option to receive another degree. Is there any adult school in the Basel area? Thank you for the advice.

Quote:
View Post
Would you perhaps have an interest as a sports coach at an international school?
I would be very interested in that position.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 10.03.2017 at 22:25. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09.03.2017, 15:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
UrbanWarrior has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Career

There are a couple international schools in or around Basel. It could be worth checking their websites for vacancies?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09.03.2017, 16:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New Career

Quote:
View Post
There are a couple international schools in or around Basel. It could be worth checking their websites for vacancies?
Or contacting their HR dept with letter and CV. You never know. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10.03.2017, 20:55
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Jura-Basel
Posts: 13
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PurdueBoilermaker has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Career

Quote:
Or contacting their HR dept with letter and CV. You never know. Best of luck.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11.03.2017, 01:31
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Romandie
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Carolin has earned some respectCarolin has earned some respect
Re: New Career

Hi, why not check out opportunities in the international sports administration, ie. with the international sports federations and organizations etc. (your language skills are certainly an asset)? Many of them are in/around Lausanne (http://www.lausanne.ch/en/thematique...ationales.html)...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11.03.2017, 11:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New Career

Quote:
View Post
The field I would love to work for is Law enforcement, interior affairs and government work. I think under Swiss law it's impossible for me to work in Law enforcement and similar fields.
I have sent you a PM about a potential job opportunity along these lines.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Career advice Guest Daily life 1 16.12.2014 17:37
US couple moving to Grenchen for new career tmcdan78 Introductions 3 11.06.2014 21:48
On facebook? Please help my little sisters new career! grumpygrapefruit General off-topic 29 03.07.2011 02:34
Career killer? Begga Employment 69 11.11.2010 19:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0