Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.06.2017, 10:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 84
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 60 Times in 29 Posts
theroz is considered knowledgeabletheroz is considered knowledgeabletheroz is considered knowledgeable
Change name on CV

People of the people,

I am considering sending my CV around to various agencies to find a new job. While knowing that there are certain risks involved in that process, such being handed a dodgy agency consultant who sends you CV everywhere without your permission and such, I thought of a way to get around that – what if I change name on my CV, so I am “Theroz von Ef” for instance?

Maybe this is one of my dumber ideas, but that’s okay, I do stupid things on a regular basis, that wouldn’t surprise me too much – all I want to know is; does anyone know if I would breaking some funny law or so by doing this? To clarify, I would obviously not change the name of any of the official records, I am sure that would be forgery, just the CV that gets sent to agencies.

Cheers,
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.06.2017, 10:07
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,967
Groaned at 164 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 5,285 Times in 2,667 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change name on CV

Quote:
View Post
People of the people,

I am considering sending my CV around to various agencies to find a new job. While knowing that there are certain risks involved in that process, such being handed a dodgy agency consultant who sends you CV everywhere without your permission and such, I thought of a way to get around that – what if I change name on my CV, so I am “Theroz von Ef” for instance?

Maybe this is one of my dumber ideas, but that’s okay, I do stupid things on a regular basis, that wouldn’t surprise me too much – all I want to know is; does anyone know if I would breaking some funny law or so by doing this? To clarify, I would obviously not change the name of any of the official records, I am sure that would be forgery, just the CV that gets sent to agencies.

Cheers,
And then your CV gets sent on to a potential employer who then finds out you are not that person with that name. I´d immediately bin that application.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 17.06.2017, 10:13
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 680
Groaned at 17 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 456 Times in 269 Posts
robBob is considered knowledgeablerobBob is considered knowledgeablerobBob is considered knowledgeable
Re: Change name on CV

Let us know when you find work!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 17.06.2017, 10:48
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,806
Groaned at 81 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,430 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change name on CV

Quote:
View Post
And then your CV gets sent on to a potential employer who then finds out you are not that person with that name. I´d immediately bin that application.
Not to mention that if you feel a need to change your name, then what else are you lying about in your CV? Here in Switzerland you would never get accepted for a job at any reputable company under these circumstances.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 17.06.2017, 10:49
jbrady's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sunny Aargau
Posts: 784
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 461 Times in 229 Posts
jbrady has an excellent reputationjbrady has an excellent reputationjbrady has an excellent reputationjbrady has an excellent reputation
Re: Change name on CV

What does a woman do when she gets married and takes her husbands name?

It would change their CV and get them off any rejection lists and other filters that may have built up previously. All above board.

My wife uses a combination of her maiden name and my surname and I was once wondering what the effect would be if I applied for jobs using just her maiden name leaving off my date of birth. Not quite as dodgy and I could half explain it.

In the UK you can change your name legally by deed poll - so theoretically what is stopping you.
__________________

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank jbrady for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 17.06.2017, 10:55
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,967
Groaned at 164 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 5,285 Times in 2,667 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change name on CV

Quote:
View Post
What does a woman do when she gets married and takes her husbands name?

It would change their CV and get them off any rejection lists and other filters that may have built up previously. All above board.

My wife uses a combination of her maiden name and my surname and I was once wondering what the effect would be if I applied for jobs using just her maiden name leaving off my date of birth. Not quite as dodgy and I could half explain it.

In the UK you can change your name legally by deed poll - so theoretically what is stopping you.
Completely different story from using a fictive name. Any of the above can be explained and is legally correct (apart from using your wife´s name)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 17.06.2017, 11:03
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,806
Groaned at 81 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,430 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change name on CV

Quote:
View Post
What does a woman do when she gets married and takes her husbands name?

It would change their CV and get them off any rejection lists and other filters that may have built up previously. All above board.

My wife uses a combination of her maiden name and my surname and I was once wondering what the effect would be if I applied for jobs using just her maiden name leaving off my date of birth. Not quite as dodgy and I could half explain it.

In the UK you can change your name legally by deed poll - so theoretically what is stopping you.
The problem would be that when the applicant is accepted all the usual background checks will raise a red flag. I suspect that the offer would then go to the next best candidate.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 17.06.2017, 11:17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Zurich East
Posts: 292
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 349 Times in 157 Posts
YuropFlyer has earned the respect of manyYuropFlyer has earned the respect of manyYuropFlyer has earned the respect of many
Re: Change name on CV

I totally understand OPs question and concerns.

Actually one thing that is totally legit would be to use "ue" in spelling instead of "ü" or similar stunts so you would immediately know who got which application. Can also be done with street names and even the PLZ (post letter code for your town) - most towns have more than one PLZ that will work.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank YuropFlyer for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 17.06.2017, 15:11
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,524
Groaned at 47 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,368 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change name on CV

Quote:
View Post
I am considering sending my CV around to various agencies to find a new job. While knowing that there are certain risks involved in that process, such being handed a dodgy agency consultant who sends you CV everywhere without your permission and such, I thought of a way to get around that – what if I change name on my CV, so I am “Theroz von Ef” for instance?
OK, so help me out here, how does changing your name on your CV prevent an agency from sending out your cv to all and sundry? The only difference is that you'll call you up looking for the wrong person!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17.06.2017, 15:24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Nyon
Posts: 476
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 461 Times in 238 Posts
Rachel Moore has earned the respect of manyRachel Moore has earned the respect of manyRachel Moore has earned the respect of many
Re: Change name on CV

I would agree with you 100%...a dumb idea...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17.06.2017, 19:30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 84
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 60 Times in 29 Posts
theroz is considered knowledgeabletheroz is considered knowledgeabletheroz is considered knowledgeable
Re: Change name on CV

okay, some clarification clearly needed; I am asking this as when I previously sent my CV to agencies, some of the agencies shortly thereafter came back and said I was welcome to their clients for interview. And this had been done without me being told that my CV is being sent out. At that point I obviously didn’t care as I wanted to switch, I actually ended up taking a position that one of these consultants had sent my CV for, so it ended well and their doubtful strategy ended up working. However, during this period, I myself send my CV to another company, for which I was told my name is already in their database and I had not sent my CV to this company.

So the purpose of changing the name / misspelling the name is that if a dodgy agency consultant sends out my CV to companies without my permission, for positions that I am not interested in, I am covered should I want to apply to that company myself.

Now to your kind concerns; Once you’re at the interview stage, you’d obviously state your real name, which is one letters difference or so. Now, for those of you worrying about red flags when doing background checks; background check are done after the person gets accepted, at which point they would know my real name. Any reputable company asks for your identification when doing background check. If they miss that, I am not sure I’d wanna work with them

The other concern about lying on my CV I am not worried about either, at time of interview, as always I bring in your grades and degrees, references etc. that they can look up.

I notice many of the concerns in this forum is if the idea is good or not – that’s not my question, as I said, I proudly do stupid things on a daily basis, so this would just be one in the line.

Does anyone know if I break any laws by intentionally changing the name?

Cheers,
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank theroz for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 17.06.2017, 19:34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 84
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 60 Times in 29 Posts
theroz is considered knowledgeabletheroz is considered knowledgeabletheroz is considered knowledgeable
Re: Change name on CV

Yeah, clarification was needed - i read my own post and realized i had missed some important parts Made sense to me when i thought of it early in the morning...

Obviously not looking to trick the employer that my name is something else, just the CV that they get from the agency would state another name.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 17.06.2017, 20:00
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,967
Groaned at 164 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 5,285 Times in 2,667 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change name on CV

Quote:
View Post

Now to your kind concerns; Once you’re at the interview stage, you’d obviously state your real name, which is one letters difference or so. Now, for those of you worrying about red flags when doing background checks; background check are done after the person gets accepted, at which point they would know my real name. Any reputable company asks for your identification when doing background check. If they miss that, I am not sure I’d wanna work with them
Not following your reasoning. I check people BEFORE I invite them to interviews an if I cannot find anything relevant (or find too much), you won´t get invited.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 17.06.2017, 20:08
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,806
Groaned at 81 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,430 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change name on CV

Quote:
View Post
okay, some clarification clearly needed; I am asking this as when I previously sent my CV to agencies, some of the agencies shortly thereafter came back and said I was welcome to their clients for interview. And this had been done without me being told that my CV is being sent out. At that point I obviously didn’t care as I wanted to switch, I actually ended up taking a position that one of these consultants had sent my CV for, so it ended well and their doubtful strategy ended up working. However, during this period, I myself send my CV to another company, for which I was told my name is already in their database and I had not sent my CV to this company.

So the purpose of changing the name / misspelling the name is that if a dodgy agency consultant sends out my CV to companies without my permission, for positions that I am not interested in, I am covered should I want to apply to that company myself.

Now to your kind concerns; Once you’re at the interview stage, you’d obviously state your real name, which is one letters difference or so. Now, for those of you worrying about red flags when doing background checks; background check are done after the person gets accepted, at which point they would know my real name. Any reputable company asks for your identification when doing background check. If they miss that, I am not sure I’d wanna work with them

The other concern about lying on my CV I am not worried about either, at time of interview, as always I bring in your grades and degrees, references etc. that they can look up.

I notice many of the concerns in this forum is if the idea is good or not – that’s not my question, as I said, I proudly do stupid things on a daily basis, so this would just be one in the line.

Does anyone know if I break any laws by intentionally changing the name?

Cheers,
Your reply makes no sense whatsoever. Would have liked to assist...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17.06.2017, 20:16
jbrady's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sunny Aargau
Posts: 784
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 461 Times in 229 Posts
jbrady has an excellent reputationjbrady has an excellent reputationjbrady has an excellent reputationjbrady has an excellent reputation
Re: Change name on CV

Sometimes you have get through the agency filtering process. Just to get your cv presented.
If you have never been a victim of of this, then you probably would not understand.
If you have been 2 years on the RAV and skint - it is a different syndrome than hanging around in in a nice home with a nice bank balance and the option of a conscience.
If it it just a matter of fending off annoying calls then you are lucky.
Thank God I am retired in 3 years - never trust agencies or HR was always my mantra and I kind of survived.
Use bullshit to fight bullshitters
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 17.06.2017, 20:19
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,806
Groaned at 81 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,430 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change name on CV

Quote:
View Post
Sometimes you have get through the agency filtering process. Just to get your cv presented.
If you have never been a victim of of this, then you probably would not understand.
If you have been 2 years on the RAV and skint - it is a different syndrome than hanging around in in a nice home with a nice bank balance and the option of a conscience.
If it it just a matter of fending off annoying calls then you are lucky.
Thank God I am retired in 3 years - never trust agencies or HR was always my mantra and I kind of survived.
Use bullshit to fight bullshitters
I've been there, and still don't understand your problem?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 17.06.2017, 20:32
jbrady's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sunny Aargau
Posts: 784
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 461 Times in 229 Posts
jbrady has an excellent reputationjbrady has an excellent reputationjbrady has an excellent reputationjbrady has an excellent reputation
Re: Change name on CV

Me. No problem I am working.
But if you are desparate you try anything. Nothing to lose.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 18.06.2017, 19:50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Renens
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Leszek has no particular reputation at present
Re: Change name on CV

It depends on your profession. As a software engineer I posted a relevant resume online with "Confidential" marks/placeholders on it and it works well. Not too much spam but occasionally you get email about something really relevant.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Leszek for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 18.06.2017, 22:30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Genève
Posts: 39
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 10 Posts
CBGeneve has no particular reputation at present
Re: Change name on CV

I find it unlikely that any agency will put your name forward without your written consent. All agencies that I have been working with - perhaps 20-25 - have all without exception asked me to approve that they forward my CV to their clients. I think this is linked to the fact that they need to prove to their client that you have actually accepted them putting your name forward. And this is probably a prerequisite for getting the bonus they will get eventually if their client decides to hire you.

Regarding changing your name I don't think that is illegal in any way. You can write whatever you want on your CV as long as you are not stealing another persons identity or claim work done by others. It is up to the hiring manager and the agency to check thoroughly whether you have the skills you claim to have and if you don't then it is an embarressment for them and a waste of time for all parties.

Whether your name on your CV matches the name in your passpprt is probably less relevant for them to begin with. It could/would probably raise some eyebrows later in the process but you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

In general I would never write anything on my CV which is not in line with the truth, though as you never know the potential consequences for your candidacy.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank CBGeneve for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 18.06.2017, 22:41
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 7,050
Groaned at 46 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 10,346 Times in 4,879 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change name on CV

I might be missing something here but...

What is the point of using an agency if not to have them send out your CV on your behalf?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Name Change on Swiss Passport j3finksdat Permits/visas/government 9 28.06.2013 16:59
Modifying First and Last Name in CV - is it legal? Meeyat Employment 59 31.05.2013 12:32
name change (to married name) on GB passport Rory Permits/visas/government 3 11.09.2011 23:12
Name change possible on airline tickets? vinczebarni Transportation/driving 7 19.07.2011 10:19
CV for career change travnett Employment 8 17.03.2011 18:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0