Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.07.2017, 08:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
arielt111 has no particular reputation at present
Help.. just got fired during the probation period, B Permit ends during unemployment

All.
Very unpleasant to be kicked with a 1 week notice and on the last day of probation.
Questions:
1. Should I immediately register at the RAV (still with the notice)?
2. This unbelievable company basically set this to fail; for example, I had not a single discussion with my manager where he provided feedback or guidance. The 1st and last meeting was in my booting HR meeting. Is this behaviour even legal? Do I have a case against this company? (I probably won't do anything but just to know).

Thanks a lot
Ariel
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.07.2017, 09:19
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 8,343
Groaned at 908 Times in 624 Posts
Thanked 10,423 Times in 4,960 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

None whatsoever, it's contractual and clearly laid out in your employment contract, it's also laid out in federal law too.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 01.07.2017, 09:37
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,193
Groaned at 317 Times in 262 Posts
Thanked 10,176 Times in 5,118 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

As Today only said, and start applying for jobs now! RAV expects you to do that as soon as you have been told that you will be made redundant.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 01.07.2017, 13:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,780
Groaned at 52 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 7,805 Times in 3,262 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

Giving notice within probation is completely legal. Having a very short notice period is, in fact, one of the central aspects of a probationary period.
Within, and after, the probationary period, either party may give notice to the other party at any time, even without giving specifying a reason. The employee has the same freedom as the employer.

The only conditions are
a) the notice must conform to the contractual period
b) the notice may not take place during some special protected times specified in the law, e.g. pregnancy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.07.2017, 20:26
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,072
Groaned at 98 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 6,582 Times in 2,512 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

1. Should I immediately register at the RAV (still with the notice)?

Yes


2. Is this behaviour even legal?

Yes

Do I have a case against this company?

No
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 01.07.2017, 20:44
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 18,281
Groaned at 1,126 Times in 875 Posts
Thanked 49,844 Times in 15,371 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

I've been with my employer for nearly a decade and I still got fired for no reason. No complaints against me, no warnings, no procedure: just "here's your notice. Tschüss!".

It's entirely legal here.

Hard cheese, eh?
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 01.07.2017, 21:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,312
Groaned at 160 Times in 104 Posts
Thanked 4,816 Times in 2,192 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

Quote:
View Post
All.
Very unpleasant to be kicked with a 1 week notice and on the last day of probation.
Questions:
1. Should I immediately register at the RAV (still with the notice)?
2. This unbelievable company basically set this to fail; for example, I had not a single discussion with my manager where he provided feedback or guidance. The 1st and last meeting was in my booting HR meeting. Is this behaviour even legal? Do I have a case against this company? (I probably won't do anything but just to know).

Thanks a lot
Ariel
I'm not quite sure how you landed in Switzerland in the first place?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at ZuriRollt for this post:
  #8  
Old 01.07.2017, 22:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,274
Groaned at 370 Times in 302 Posts
Thanked 7,104 Times in 3,557 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

Quote:
View Post
Giving notice within probation is completely legal. Having a very short notice period is, in fact, one of the central aspects of a probationary period.
Within, and after, the probationary period, either party may give notice to the other party at any time, even without giving specifying a reason. The employee has the same freedom as the employer.

The only conditions are
a) the notice must conform to the contractual period
b) the notice may not take place during some special protected times specified in the law, e.g. pregnancy.
I always thought that during probation time you're not protected during sickness, pregnancy or whatever. They just may not use it as the reason but can think of whatever else that not illegal "you don't fit in the team" "You breath to heavy" or just not give a reason at all because hey: it's probation time.

A week notice during probation is pretty generous in my opinion, i'm used to 2 seconds notice time (the time it takes to say "you can go and stay home"and such in countries where it is normally much harder (to near impossible) to get rid of people outside of probation periods.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01.07.2017, 23:16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
arielt111 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

Thanks a lot for the replies (even the impolite ones ).
Further questions:
1. Is RAV mandatory? is this something I have to do or I should be doing it in order to get the unemployment
2. Would you remove this trial period from your CV? It was a 3 months gig (after many good years) and I don't want it to create noise

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01.07.2017, 23:22
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,193
Groaned at 317 Times in 262 Posts
Thanked 10,176 Times in 5,118 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

1 Yes, if you want money?

2 depends on how you sell it. I had shorter stints and explained why and that worked out
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 01.07.2017, 23:56
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,995
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,028 Times in 4,489 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

Quote:
View Post
Thanks a lot for the replies (even the impolite ones ).
Further questions:
1. Is RAV mandatory? is this something I have to do or I should be doing it in order to get the unemployment
2. Would you remove this trial period from your CV? It was a 3 months gig (after many good years) and I don't want it to create noise

Thanks
I would definitely not put it in. You could but it in as a project, say it was just a three month gig on purpose.... I guess it depends what you were doing before.

but again I wouldn't.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 02.07.2017, 00:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,312
Groaned at 160 Times in 104 Posts
Thanked 4,816 Times in 2,192 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

Quote:
View Post
Thanks a lot for the replies (even the impolite ones ).
Further questions:
1. Is RAV mandatory? is this something I have to do or I should be doing it in order to get the unemployment
2. Would you remove this trial period from your CV? It was a 3 months gig (after many good years) and I don't want it to create noise

Thanks
Personally, I'd choose another country if not having clarified these things in advance. But each to their own.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at ZuriRollt for this post:
  #13  
Old 02.07.2017, 09:35
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,072
Groaned at 98 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 6,582 Times in 2,512 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

1. Is RAV mandatory? is this something I have to do or I should be doing it in order to get the unemployment
Uhm. It's not charity. Yes you have to do something to get money in return. If you do nothing, you get no money, simples.

2. Would you remove this trial period from your CV? It was a 3 months gig (after many good years) and I don't want it to create noise

remove it. Unless you know why this happened and can explain it to future employers. But you seem to have no clue and seem to not have asked. There may of course be no reason at all, but in my experience, termination during the probation period in most cases doesn't just happen
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 02.07.2017, 11:11
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 10,105
Groaned at 145 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 10,911 Times in 5,768 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

Quote:
View Post
All.
Very unpleasant to be kicked with a 1 week notice and on the last day of probation.
Questions:
1. Should I immediately register at the RAV (still with the notice)?
2. This unbelievable company basically set this to fail; for example, I had not a single discussion with my manager where he provided feedback or guidance. The 1st and last meeting was in my booting HR meeting. Is this behaviour even legal? Do I have a case against this company? (I probably won't do anything but just to know).

Thanks a lot
Ariel
ROFL, that's what probation is all about. It's a good thing, works both ways, I remember one time I was really glad to get out within a week
Unless it's really darn obvious that someone is not capable to do the job it can simply be not liking the vibes, the team dynamics.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 02.07.2017, 13:21
Traubert's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 972
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,779 Times in 639 Posts
Traubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

Quote:
View Post
Personally, I'd choose another country if not having clarified these things in advance. But each to their own.
Then keep to yourself.

It's exactly this kind of diminished social intelligence that people think is acceptable to put on display here.

You should always ask yourself 'do I really need to post this sampling of my jaundiced attitude to the internet?'
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Traubert for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 02.07.2017, 15:23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 57
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 10 Posts
Ciuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthy
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

Quote:
View Post
Then keep to yourself.

It's exactly this kind of diminished social intelligence that people think is acceptable to put on display here.

You should always ask yourself 'do I really need to post this sampling of my jaundiced attitude to the internet?'
Excellent point.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02.07.2017, 15:47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
arielt111 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

Quote:
View Post
1. Is RAV mandatory? is this something I have to do or I should be doing it in order to get the unemployment
Uhm. It's not charity. Yes you have to do something to get money in return. If you do nothing, you get no money, simples.

2. Would you remove this trial period from your CV? It was a 3 months gig (after many good years) and I don't want it to create noise

remove it. Unless you know why this happened and can explain it to future employers. But you seem to have no clue and seem to not have asked. There may of course be no reason at all, but in my experience, termination during the probation period in most cases doesn't just happen

Thanks. This helps.
On RAV- my question was related to legal obligations. Forget the money paid. At the end, if I don't go to the RAV Switzerland has a guy which is not paying social insurance, etc...
2. I know the reason, and can explain.. but I tend to keep it out. Just creates a defocus during screening/ interviews. I plan to say that after leaving my previous firm (after 7 yrs btw), I have tried a different role which I didn't like.. etc. (Unless someone has better ideas.. J).

Thanks for the reply
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02.07.2017, 15:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,312
Groaned at 160 Times in 104 Posts
Thanked 4,816 Times in 2,192 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

Quote:
View Post
Then keep to yourself.

It's exactly this kind of diminished social intelligence that people think is acceptable to put on display here.

You should always ask yourself 'do I really need to post this sampling of my jaundiced attitude to the internet?'
Congratulations, you made me consider my post.

Still came to the same conclusion, and still work extremely hard to pay my taxes, so that I could at any point, among other reasons, fund any of my RAV payments (and that after more than a week of work).

It would be very helpful if members would give some background in their profile, to enable a basis for providing any constructive information.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02.07.2017, 16:09
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
arielt111 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

Quote:
View Post
Then keep to yourself.

It's exactly this kind of diminished social intelligence that people think is acceptable to put on display here.

You should always ask yourself 'do I really need to post this sampling of my jaundiced attitude to the internet?'
The guy had quite an attitude... I'm here for almost 10 years so not feeling that I need to explain myself.
I asked simple questions, to avoid conclusion, but mostly because nothing could be assumed here.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02.07.2017, 16:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,312
Groaned at 160 Times in 104 Posts
Thanked 4,816 Times in 2,192 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help.. just got fired during the probation period

Quote:
View Post
The guy had quite an attitude... I'm here for almost 10 years so not feeling that I need to explain myself.
I asked simple questions, to avoid conclusion, but mostly because nothing could be assumed here.
Out of experience (and I'm a bit surprised that you don't know this, considering how long you've been here) - yes, you need to register with the RAV as soon as you've received notice
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing jobs during probation - How does this work for EU citizen with a new permit? regie Employment 9 13.07.2018 16:27
B Permit renewal during notice period. TheDalek Permits/visas/government 17 12.12.2016 21:43
Pregnant during first 3 months probation Wilbs Employment 21 16.08.2015 13:43
sick during the notice period stud29 Employment 68 17.04.2014 11:14
Entitlement to accrued vacation during probation period james_w Employment 1 13.01.2010 20:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0