Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 11.07.2017, 17:23
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,749
Groaned at 297 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 22,118 Times in 8,033 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Quote:
View Post
2. comparing your CHF 2'700 gross to Silencespeaks CHF 2'000 net - CHF 800 for an apartment is apples to oranges. You would normally have had to pay for accommodation.
It's not. She is not paying 800 for an appartment, but shared accomodation. So did I, don't recall exactly, but somewhere around 450 a month. Taxes on 2700 gross was very little, something around 10%. All in all did I have something around 1800-1900 a month to live. That was workable and I managed to save a bit. 1200 is very, very low.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11.07.2017, 18:27
Mullhollander's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,519
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,466 Times in 1,539 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Let's go over this again:

1. Silencespeaks states that the job title is "Trainee" in post #3, so I will defer to him/ her that this is indeed a traineeship. An EU citizen working as a Trainee in Switzerland should be able to obtain an European Health Insurance Card from his/ her home country.

2. Trainee salaries vary widely in Switzerland, although the good news is that 95% are paid. The Bund recommends a trainee monthly salary of CHF 2'600 per month for a graduate with a bachelor's degree. However, as noted in this article, trainee wages may not reach this level as evidenced by architect trainees who often earn around CHF 2'000, with the majority earning between CHF 1'400 and 2'000:

https://www.nzz.ch/karriere/berufsei...sind-ld.133225
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 11.07.2017, 18:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Quote:
View Post
Let's go over this again:

1. Silencespeaks states that the job title is "Trainee" in post #3, so I will defer to him/ her that this is indeed a traineeship. An EU citizen working as a Trainee in Switzerland should be able to obtain an European Health Insurance Card from his/ her home country.

2. Trainee salaries vary widely in Switzerland, although the good news is that 95% are paid. The Bund recommends a trainee monthly salary of CHF 2'600 per month for a graduate with a bachelor's degree. However, as noted in this article, trainee wages may not reach this level as evidenced by architect trainees who often earn around CHF 2'000, with the majority earning between CHF 1'400 and 2'000:

https://www.nzz.ch/karriere/berufsei...sind-ld.133225
OP said trainee but more like a TA. If they were to be contracted for 42 hours per week hands in with the kids, including lunch breaks, then there would be no time to be trained. As someone said - Treverus? - this appears to be an exploitable loophole.

Anyway, it's moot now.

OP, if you're still reading, good luck with your future choices.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12.07.2017, 17:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 5 Posts
Silencespeaks has no particular reputation at present
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Following our discussions on here, I wrote an email to the recruiter stating that it had come to my attention that the salary I was offered is lower than that offered to other unskilled workers and trainees. I also asked her if she could confirm whether past trainees were exempt from the health insurance requirement. To my surprise, I was sent an email stating, 'please see attached your termination letter'.

The termination letter stated that they had decided to terminate my work contract and wish me the best of luck.

The contract was misleading, it was not a trainee position. I would have essentially worked as an assistant.

Unfortunately I cannot disclose the name of the school. There have been a few posts by the school. For an international school, I am surprised that they are allowed to do this. Parents are paying an excess of 70,000 CHF a year. I'll take the experience as a learning curve and apply more caution in future.

I don't wish to take up any more of your time. Thank you all once again.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Silencespeaks for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 12.07.2017, 17:17
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,361
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Quote:
View Post
To my surprise, I was sent an email stating, 'please see attached your termination letter'.

The termination letter stated that they had decided to terminate my work contract and wish me the best of luck.
Lol ok, that is preposterous.

Guess you got away easy then
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 12.07.2017, 17:36
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 386
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 128 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Quote:
View Post
Following our discussions on here, I wrote an email to the recruiter stating that it had come to my attention that the salary I was offered is lower than that offered to other unskilled workers and trainees. I also asked her if she could confirm whether past trainees were exempt from the health insurance requirement. To my surprise, I was sent an email stating, 'please see attached your termination letter'.

The termination letter stated that they had decided to terminate my work contract and wish me the best of luck.

The contract was misleading, it was not a trainee position. I would have essentially worked as an assistant.

Unfortunately I cannot disclose the name of the school. There have been a few posts by the school. For an international school, I am surprised that they are allowed to do this. Parents are paying an excess of 70,000 CHF a year. I'll take the experience as a learning curve and apply more caution in future.

I don't wish to take up any more of your time. Thank you all once again.
Surely you or somebody who knows the school should be reporting them somewhere - they have presumably 'terminated' you because you asked questions they didn't want to answer. Is what they are doing legal?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Salad Days for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 12.07.2017, 17:41
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 5 Posts
Silencespeaks has no particular reputation at present
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

I'm not quite sure how things work in Switzerland, I am guessing it is legal. They seem to have trainees every year.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12.07.2017, 18:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Quote:
View Post
I'm not quite sure how things work in Switzerland, I am guessing it is legal. They seem to have trainees every year.
If everyone has to sign NDAs and they are all on one year contracts, nothing will ever be heard about it because they get fresh meat every year. And nothing will change. It's truly outrageous: "terminating" you before you start just because you had the temerity to ask questions? Sounds like you had a narrow escape.

What reason did they cite? Something generic?

Did you mean the school has posted on EF? Interesting...

Last edited by RufusB; 12.07.2017 at 18:16.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 12.07.2017, 18:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Quote:
If everyone has to sign NDAs and they are all on one year contracts, nothing will ever be heard about it because they get fresh meat every year. And nothing will change. It's truly outrageous: "terminating" you before you start just because younhad the temerity to ask questions? Sounds like you had a narrow escape.

What reason did they cite? Something generic?

Did you mean the school has posted on EF? Interesting...
I have a vague recollection that there has been some thread or other on a school which would fit the description. Haven't got my search head on right now, plus I wouldn't want to associate it with the OPs thread anyway, just in case.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 12.07.2017, 18:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

If you don't want to name the school (and really I can't see why, I have to say) - just give us the location and we will figure it out!

However, as you are in the UK and in London in particular- you must know that many trainee jobs to give experience often are not paid at all. My own family and friends have experienced that- and the attitude of 'you are lucky we are offering you a traineeship at all' ...In this case perhaps with the added 'in Switzerland' - getting you a foot in the door for further opportunities in future.

The crux here is whether the tasks would have been of a trainee - or another job hidden in that title for a very low salary.

Location is also relevant, as that salary, with lodgings, would de doable in some parts of the country, but not others. Bonne chance.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 12.07.2017, 18:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 5 Posts
Silencespeaks has no particular reputation at present
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

They didn't cite any reasons, literally a couple of lines. The email had no subject line, I was suprised at the content.

People have posted question about the school, mainly the parents of prospective students. It is a well known international school.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12.07.2017, 18:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Location?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12.07.2017, 18:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Quote:
If you don't want to name the school (and really I can't see why, I have to say) - just give us the location and we will figure it out!

However, as you are in the UK and in London in particular- you must know that many trainee jobs to give experience often are not paid at all. My own family and friends have experienced that- and the attitude of 'you are lucky we are offering you a traineeship at all' ...In this case perhaps with the added 'in Switzerland' - getting you a foot in the door for further opportunities in future.

The crux here is whether the tasks would have been of a trainee - or another job hidden in that title for a very low salary.

Location is also relevant, as that salary, with lodgings, would de doable in some parts of the country, but not others. Bonne chance.

For some roles yes, but this sounded like a very hands on, in at the deep end, expects a lot for very little "deal". Sounds like they wanted a general TA/admin/carer in a highly specialised environment. Poor.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12.07.2017, 18:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

French or German or bilingual? Mountainous or lakeside?

OP did you challenge the email? Ask why? Clarify how long your Nda is binding for. Did you sign something?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12.07.2017, 18:27
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 5 Posts
Silencespeaks has no particular reputation at present
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Hi Odile,
Sorry I'm new to this, not sure if I'm supposed to copy your quote and then respond.

The contract was 5 pages and came with a confidentiality clause. The first 2 pages were about the contract of employment and the last 3 were were about the accommodation.

This is an international school with vast resources. I've already given up my job in anticipation of the role, not to mention a non refundable plane ticket and a lot of time. The last thing I want is a legal case about disclosing their name/ information on an online forum.

Regarding living costs, it's not far from Geneva.

I can't post the job description (confidentiality clause and school logo) but it was certainly not an easy role.

I understand that the school may view it as an opportunity to get your foot in the door. Nonetheless, essentially it was a full time, teaching assistant role and the salary did not reflect that. At the very least, it would have been diplomatic to respond to the email rather than send a termination letter.

I'm just glad I made a post when I did.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Silencespeaks for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 12.07.2017, 18:31
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 5 Posts
Silencespeaks has no particular reputation at present
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Hi RufusB
I did not challenge the email. I may not have a lot but you don't treat people like this. I'm just going to move on.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Silencespeaks for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 12.07.2017, 18:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 5 Posts
Silencespeaks has no particular reputation at present
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

I did sign a non disclosure agreement after my telephone interview. Provisions of a similar nature were also sent in the contract.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12.07.2017, 18:34
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,361
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Quote:
View Post
Is what they are doing legal?
Of course it is, what would be the crime? Retracting an offer (which is essentially what they did - there was no employment to terminate yet)? Nope. Almost everything related to employment is legal around here.



I still don't agree with the cries for "exploitation", not in such general terms as outlined here.

However, in your particular case, the methods applied by this school are clearly shady and unacceptable, and the termination letter bit is beyond absurd.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 12.07.2017, 18:36
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,749
Groaned at 297 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 22,118 Times in 8,033 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Quote:
View Post
The contract was 5 pages and came with a confidentiality clause.
They terminated the contract. You are not bound by any confidentiality clause anymore.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #60  
Old 12.07.2017, 18:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Any advice would be appreciated

Quote:
View Post
Hi RufusB
I did not challenge the email. I may not have a lot but you don't treat people like this. I'm just going to move on.
Indeed you don't. Well I'm sorry for the upset it has caused you and I hope you find something much better soon. Try ETeach website too. Lots of supply agencies seem to want to place cover supervisors and you don't necessarily have be a teacher to do that.it is extremely relevant experience for any future teacher training though.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Economics graduate from London relocating to Switzerland - advice will be appreciated Raphael Kuponiyi Business & entrepreneur 52 15.10.2016 12:19
Unemployment consulting in Zug/6-month notification - any advice appreciated Ad_Astra Employment 14 19.11.2015 00:02
Help would be greatly appreciated! legaldebate Daily life 2 12.09.2015 14:03
Any assistance would be appreciated.[psychologist qualification conversion] latigresse Employment 5 15.10.2010 07:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0