English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Employment (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/)
-   -   Non EU Dentist, Work in a Dental Industry/any short term Dental Courses in English (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/273211-non-eu-dentist-work-dental-industry-any-short-term-dental-courses-english.html)

Yaswanth 09.08.2017 12:38

Non EU Dentist, Work in a Dental Industry/any short term Dental Courses in English
 
Hello there,

Do we have some one in the forum who is a non EU Dentist and has an experience in Dental industry/doing any short term course in any university?

My Wife has completed her MDS as an Endodontist. She want to Stay in touch with her subject. Is there any possibility that she will get any position as an intern may be in the R&D in any Dental industry or she is also interested in any short term courses (In English) which can help her enhance knowledge. For study i am looking at universities which has moderate fees. For dental industry intern position Pay doesn't matter, Please suggest

Best Regards
Y

arrow 09.08.2017 13:28

Re: Non EU Dentist, Work in a Dental Industry/any short term Dental Courses in Englis
 
I am not a dentist, but am an American trained dental hygienist. For dentists, as you apparently know, there is an agreement between Switzerland and EU countries for diploma recognition. For other countries ( including USA), your wife will need to contact the Swiss Red Cross.

Scroll down to the part about HEALTH PROFESSIONALS in the following link:

http://www.migraweb.ch/en/themen/bil...e-abschluesse/

For dental specialists; endodontists, orthodontists, etc, the benchmark is very high and restrictive. If she gets permission to work, she may provide those services, but not call herself an Endodontist.

From what you wrote, it sounds like she would like to further her studies. She may visit this website, to find appropriate courses.

https://www.ccde.ch/en


Best of luck!

Medea Fleecestealer 09.08.2017 13:31

Re: Non EU Dentist, Work in a Dental Industry/any short term Dental Courses in Englis
 
Your answers are already in this thread which you posted in.

https://www.englishforum.ch/employme...itzerland.html

She cannot study dentistry here, it's a subject that's restricted to long term Swiss residents only. She may be able to find an internship if she doesn't need to have her qualifications recognised to work in the dental industry. But beware any that are unpaid, since it's illegal not to be paid for internships in Switzerland unless they're with an NGO.

arrow 09.08.2017 13:53

Re: Non EU Dentist, Work in a Dental Industry/any short term Dental Courses in Englis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaswanth (Post 2828425)
Hello there,

Do we have some one in the forum who is a non EU Dentist and has an experience in Dental industry/doing any short term course in any university?

My Wife has completed her MDS as an Endodontist. She want to Stay in touch with her subject. Is there any possibility that she will get any position as an intern may be in the R&D in any Dental industry or she is also interested in any short term courses (In English) which can help her enhance knowledge. For study i am looking at universities which has moderate fees. For dental industry intern position Pay doesn't matter, Please suggest

Best Regards
Y


From the post, I understood the person in question has already completed dental school and has obtained a graduate degree in endodontics. Since she is not a a EU citizen, she'll need to obtain recognition of her diploma. This might include retaking some courses or examinations.

I had a good friend who was a qualified periodontist from Brasil. She married an American and moved to New York, where she had to re-train and re-test. Then, he got a job in Switzerland. In Kanton Zurich, she was not allowed to work, though she did volunteer at the Uni. As you can imagine, she was quite frustrated.

She is now back in New York and has a thriving business. :)

Best to check with the Red Cross.

Yaswanth 11.08.2017 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 2828451)
Your answers are already in this thread which you posted in.

https://www.englishforum.ch/employme...itzerland.html

She cannot study dentistry here, it's a subject that's restricted to long term Swiss residents only. She may be able to find an internship if she doesn't need to have her qualifications recognised to work in the dental industry. But beware any that are unpaid, since it's illegal not to be paid for internships in Switzerland unless they're with an NGO.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any information regarding the requirements for dental industry? I hope there is no necessity for a local degree and any necessity for German language

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan57 (Post 2828456)
From the post, I understood the person in question has already completed dental school and has obtained a graduate degree in endodontics. Since she is not a a EU citizen, she'll need to obtain recognition of her diploma. This might include retaking some courses or examinations.

I had a good friend who was a qualified periodontist from Brasil. She married an American and moved to New York, where she had to re-train and re-test. Then, he got a job in Switzerland. In Kanton Zurich, she was not allowed to work, though she did volunteer at the Uni. As you can imagine, she was quite frustrated.

She is now back in New York and has a thriving business. :)

Best to check with the Red Cross.

That sounds great. So he did a voluntary in university. Do you know any other details on the procedure he approached and all?

miniMia 11.08.2017 19:14

Re: Non EU Dentist, Work in a Dental Industry/any short term Dental Courses in Englis
 
Sorry, but never mind her qualifications, if she wants to work with patients she will absolutely need the local language. !?!?

Or are the locals supposed to adapt to her language?

Longbyt 11.08.2017 19:31

Re: Non EU Dentist, Work in a Dental Industry/any short term Dental Courses in Englis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan57 (Post 2828456)
I had a good friend who was a qualified periodontist from Brasil. She married an American and moved to New York, where she had to re-train and re-test. Then, he got a job in Switzerland. In Kanton Zurich, she was not allowed to work, though she did volunteer at the Uni. As you can imagine, she was quite frustrated.

She is now back in New York and has a thriving business. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaswanth (Post 2829591)
That sounds great. So he did a voluntary in university. Do you know any other details on the procedure he approached and all?

I think you must go back and check the pronouns here. Which person got a job and which one was the periodontist.

Medea Fleecestealer 11.08.2017 19:58

Re: Non EU Dentist, Work in a Dental Industry/any short term Dental Courses in Englis
 
Again contact

Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH)
MEBEKO
CH-3003 Bern
T +41 31 322 94 83
www.bag.admin.ch
MEBEKO-Ausbildung@bag.admin.ch

as they should be able to tell you what requirements, if any, are needed to work in the dental industry.

Samaire13 11.08.2017 21:42

Re: Non EU Dentist, Work in a Dental Industry/any short term Dental Courses in Englis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaswanth (Post 2829591)
I hope there is no necessity for a local degree and any necessity for German language

With all due respect, but why exactly would you think anyone could practice any form of medicine here without speaking the local language? You do realise her patients here would speak German (or French or Italian or whatever part you'd be in)? Speaking the local language is pretty much a requirement in that particular field for absolutely every country in the world.

Guest 11.08.2017 21:51

Re: Non EU Dentist, Work in a Dental Industry/any short term Dental Courses in Englis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaswanth (Post 2829591)
I hope there is no necessity for a local degree and any necessity for German language

So what use will you be i n a German speaking area doing a profession that is highly regulated ?

Think Chocolate teapot

SarcasmXXL 14.08.2017 20:54

Re: Non EU Dentist, Work in a Dental Industry/any short term Dental Courses in Englis
 
To be honest, we know about all the links, SSO, Mebeko, WHO (learnt from this forum thank you) mailed, spoke, met...but never had clear answer/direction or rather any positive signs.

What we are really looking for someone who is non-EU citizen (preferably Asian/African) recently gone through the process (recognition, re-certification without marrying a EU/Swiss citizen) and working here as dentist to help us understand the process...:msnblush:

Or what are other options for a Asian dentist, can they work as dental Assistant ? What other courses they can do here to kick start their frozen career:msnsad:

Thanks a lot for your sincere help..

amogles 14.08.2017 21:02

Re: Non EU Dentist, Work in a Dental Industry/any short term Dental Courses in Englis
 
Quote:

So what use will you be i n a German speaking area doing a profession that is highly regulated ?

Think Chocolate teapot
Possibly there are private clinics catering entirely to foreigners with deep pockets?

(although I have the impression that Hungary has cornered that niche pretty well)

I was quite perplexed when I first came to CH to meet a primary school teacher here who couldn't speak a word of German, and didn't have a clue about a lot of look local stuff.

Then I learnt abouit the concept of international schools.

Maybe there is a dental eqivalent of that?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:57.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0