Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 09.02.2018, 20:40
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: ZH
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
ithinkispider has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salary in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
3. I don-t deny that an experienced specialist at Google can make 150k. But not a PhD Grad fresh from ETH.
You're wrong, though. New grads with a bachelor's degree make more than that and so do PhD grads.

Quote:
View Post
But the OP 1) does not have an MBA from a top school that would make him employable by these sort of consultancies
You're wrong again, I know as a matter of fact that McKinsey, Bain and BCG hire PhD graduates on the associate consultant level, a MBA is not needed.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09.02.2018, 22:42
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: CH
Posts: 172
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 132 Times in 69 Posts
LifeStrain is considered knowledgeableLifeStrain is considered knowledgeableLifeStrain is considered knowledgeable
Re: Salary in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
You're wrong again, I know as a matter of fact that McKinsey, Bain and BCG hire PhD graduates on the associate consultant level, a MBA is not needed.
They do, but the salary at the same associate level without MBA and/or work experience will be different, not 140-150, but rather 110-120sh.

p.s. normally people register on this forum to ask a question that bothers them. Just sayin...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank LifeStrain for this useful post:
  #63  
Old 13.02.2018, 18:18
ivank's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,168
Groaned at 76 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 1,875 Times in 1,050 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salary in Zurich

Well, folks, this just in from Blomberg, I'm not making this stuff up: salaries for ML researchers broke 7 figures. Of course, that kind of pay is for the top rockstar type of talent. A fresh PhD straight out of grad school would have to settle for little more than $300k to start with.

So, if someone tries to offer you some lousy 80k, you now know where to tell him to shove that offer.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 13.02.2018, 18:27
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: CH
Posts: 172
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 132 Times in 69 Posts
LifeStrain is considered knowledgeableLifeStrain is considered knowledgeableLifeStrain is considered knowledgeable
Re: Salary in Zurich

Journalists... why not 500k? Or maybe 1M, after MSc. It is both exaggerated and rare cases. Good old median will bring you back to the ground.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank LifeStrain for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 14.02.2018, 00:00
speakeron's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,313
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 1,153 Times in 604 Posts
speakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salary in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
salaries for ML researchers broke 7 figures.
You've gotta pay the big bucks to those who can answer the crucial question: "How many hidden layers should we use?"[*]

[*] Less than you think - actually one less. (Damn, I just gave all our secrets away...)
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 14.02.2018, 19:30
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 193
Groaned at 28 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 133 Times in 64 Posts
Dandy is considered unworthyDandy is considered unworthyDandy is considered unworthy
Re: Salary in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Well, folks, this just in from Blomberg, I'm not making this stuff up: salaries for ML researchers broke 7 figures. Of course, that kind of pay is for the top rockstar type of talent. A fresh PhD straight out of grad school would have to settle for little more than $300k to start with.

So, if someone tries to offer you some lousy 80k, you now know where to tell him to shove that offer.
Yes there are good jobs in Zurich the pay these figures. I know a leader of a small IT services team (< 10 people) in a Swiss private bank that also gets about 300k (incl. bonus, tax free expenses). What you need is a good headhunter, usually not the kind that contacts you on Linkedin.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 14.02.2018, 20:26
speakeron's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,313
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 1,153 Times in 604 Posts
speakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salary in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Yes there are good jobs in Zurich the pay these figures. I know a leader of a small IT services team (< 10 people) in a Swiss private bank that also gets about 300k (incl. bonus, tax free expenses). What you need is a good headhunter, usually not the kind that contacts you on Linkedin.
Well, to be clear, the "ML" that was referenced in that quote is "Machine Learning" (these days, that means all that fancy neural net stuff that's going to replace everybody) and 300k is for junior programmers (albeit with PhDs). The team leaders are getting north of a million.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 14.02.2018, 21:30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 285
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 329 Times in 127 Posts
eairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salary in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Well, to be clear, the "ML" that was referenced in that quote is "Machine Learning" (these days, that means all that fancy neural net stuff that's going to replace everybody) and 300k is for junior programmers (albeit with PhDs). The team leaders are getting north of a million.
Line 1: Program HR bot to negotiate salary
Line 2: Program Headhunter bot to negotiate +10
Line 3: Goto 1
Line 4: Run
Line 5: Profit?

Regards

Ian
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 14.02.2018, 21:58
speakeron's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,313
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 1,153 Times in 604 Posts
speakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salary in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Line 1: Program HR bot to negotiate salary
Line 2: Program Headhunter bot to negotiate +10
Line 3: Goto 1
Line 4: Run
Line 5: Profit?

Regards

Ian
You'll never hit line 4, so the program won't run (and that's deeply philosophical in a cool self-referential way and also speaks to the very question of what we mean by categories). So, no 300k for you...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank speakeron for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 15.02.2018, 16:21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 285
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 329 Times in 127 Posts
eairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salary in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
You'll never hit line 4, so the program won't run (and that's deeply philosophical in a cool self-referential way and also speaks to the very question of what we mean by categories). So, no 300k for you...
Ahahah... that must by why I never made it as a programmer...

Regards

Ian
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3500 CHF salary in Zurich Ibo Daily life 74 15.07.2018 20:43
What's a good salary in Zurich... Marlenne Employment 20 08.05.2017 20:03
which salary expectations and gross/net salary? (Zurich, art field, gallery manager) latos Employment 2 06.06.2013 17:47
Copywriter Salary in Zurich? crfesi Employment 1 04.12.2012 18:29
Salary expected in Zurich pickaname Employment 21 28.07.2010 10:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0