English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Employment (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/)
-   -   RAV question - issued termination letter from company, contract to end in 6 months. (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/284025-rav-question-issued-termination-letter-company-contract-end-6-months.html)

Swisstobe 28.05.2018 14:10

RAV question - issued termination letter from company, contract to end in 6 months.
 
Hello,

I am unfortunately one of the many layoffs in my company and have been issued a termination letter that will end my employment contract (and salary payment) in 6 months. I am not working during this final period, therefore the company and myself are doing their best to help me find another job as soon as possible. (I still have minor responsibilities.)

If I am unable to find a job before my contract expires, I know that I will be able to join RAV. My question is: Does my RAV eligibility start now from when my termination was issued or does it start when my contract expires/when I stop being paid by my company? In RAV's eyes am I already unemployed and therefore when I start receiving benefits from them in 2019, they will deduct the months I was still under contract but not working?

Thanks!

Guest 28.05.2018 14:17

Re: RAV question - issued termination letter from company, contract to end in 6 month
 
You need to make an appointment right now and also kick off serious job hunting.

Their rule is that as soon as you have grounds to believe you will lose your job, and you want to benefit from their services, you need to register with them and start doing whatever you can to get back into work.

ZuriRollt 28.05.2018 14:36

Re: RAV question - issued termination letter from company, contract to end in 6 month
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swisstobe (Post 2950701)
Hello,

I am unfortunately one of the many layoffs in my company and have been issued a termination letter that will end my employment contract (and salary payment) in 6 months. I am not working during this final period, therefore the company and myself are doing their best to help me find another job as soon as possible. (I still have minor responsibilities.)

If I am unable to find a job before my contract expires, I know that I will be able to join RAV. My question is: Does my RAV eligibility start now from when my termination was issued or does it start when my contract expires/when I stop being paid by my company? In RAV's eyes am I already unemployed and therefore when I start receiving benefits from them in 2019, they will deduct the months I was still under contract but not working?

Thanks!

Am in a similar situation (contract hasn't yet been terminated), but having a 3 month termination period (last was 6), you have to register at the RAV now.

The eligibility will begin as soon as you don't receive income. It's not a great feeling, but hey, you contributed enough of your assets towards this premium over the years!

fatmanfilms 28.05.2018 14:39

Re: RAV question - issued termination letter from company, contract to end in 6 month
 
Quote:

You need to make an appointment right now and also kick off serious job hunting.

Their rule is that as soon as you have grounds to believe you will lose your job, and you want to benefit from their services, you need to register with them and start doing whatever you can to get back into work.
Not correct, you just have to prove you have been job hunting throughout your notice period. I would not register till nearer the date as the OP has a good chance to find a job within 6 months.

Swisstobe 28.05.2018 14:45

Re: RAV question - issued termination letter from company, contract to end in 6 month
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 2950723)
Not correct, you just have to prove you have been job hunting throughout your notice period. I would not register till nearer the date as the OP has a good chance to find a job within 6 months.

Thanks a lot! How much do I have to prove? As you can probably understand, I am slightly more selective in what I apply for since I am not completely desperate yet. Primarily I want to stay within my area of expertise if I can and there isnít loads of jobs available at the moment. On average, I submit at least 3 applications per week.

Medea Fleecestealer 28.05.2018 14:46

Re: RAV question - issued termination letter from company, contract to end in 6 month
 
Obligations of an unemployed person
You are required to start looking for a new job while you are working out your notice period. If you are employed on a limited term contract, you are required to start looking for work three months before the employment is due to end. If you do not meet this obligation, your benefits will be trimmed.

Be sure to keep all documentation related to your job search, such as job offers, applications and rejection letters. You will need to present them to your RAV consultant.

https://www.ch.ch/en/unemployment-ri...d-obligations/

Guest 28.05.2018 14:51

Re: RAV question - issued termination letter from company, contract to end in 6 month
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swisstobe (Post 2950731)
Thanks a lot! How much do I have to prove? As you can probably understand, I am slightly more selective in what I apply for since I am not completely desperate yet. Primarily I want to stay within my area of expertise if I can and there isnít loads of jobs available at the moment. On average, I submit at least 3 applications per week.

The times I've been under the RAV the target was normally 10-12 per week.

Also, FMF is correct about not having to register straight away - soz! :o

You could do and it would open up their job search portal for you to use but I guess it's up to you.

ZuriRollt 28.05.2018 14:54

Re: RAV question - issued termination letter from company, contract to end in 6 month
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 2950723)
Not correct, you just have to prove you have been job hunting throughout your notice period. I would not register till nearer the date as the OP has a good chance to find a job within 6 months.

Apologies for the stupid question:

So your contract is terminated, with end effect 3 months or 6 months i.e. no further income.

My understanding until now was that you need to register with the RAV more or less at the point of the contract termination, unless you've something new and definite lined-up.

fatmanfilms 28.05.2018 15:16

Re: RAV question - issued termination letter from company, contract to end in 6 month
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuriRollt (Post 2950740)
Apologies for the stupid question:

So your contract is terminated, with end effect 3 months or 6 months i.e. no further income.

My understanding until now was that you need to register with the RAV more or less at the point of the contract termination, unless you've something new and definite lined-up.

You should register by the first day of unemployment, I suggest about 1 month before. I foolishly did early & there was no benefit or further contact with the RAV until I was actually unemployed. I did complain about my advisor who claimed I would be thrown out of the country if I did not get a job in 3 months. I had a C permit at the time, better not to let them neg you out early. The advisor was moved to admin & no longer worked for RAV 6 months later :D

What you need is about 12 job applications, anywhere in the world if your being specific about your field. If there are not 12 jobs apply for anything but don't expect an interview, you will receive a hand signed letter saying a more suitable mandate was chosen which makes the RAV happy, however absurd the job application! Employers know the RAV rules & realise why you applied & reply to help you.

roegner 28.05.2018 15:23

Re: RAV question - issued termination letter from company, contract to end in 6 month
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 2950723)
Not correct, you just have to prove you have been job hunting throughout your notice period. I would not register till nearer the date as the OP has a good chance to find a job within 6 months.

Similar experience. In the end I did not have to register but RAV told me to apply for jobs and come back for a meeting if I hadnīt found anything at the end of the 6 months.

MazingaZ 09.08.2021 21:47

Re: RAV question - issued termination letter from company, contract to end in 6 month
 
Assuming the 3 months notice are paid in lieu, when is it deemed the first day of unemployment?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 2950759)
You should register by the first day of unemployment, I suggest about 1 month before. I foolishly did early & there was no benefit or further contact with the RAV until I was actually unemployed. I did complain about my advisor who claimed I would be thrown out of the country if I did not get a job in 3 months. I had a C permit at the time, better not to let them neg you out early. The advisor was moved to admin & no longer worked for RAV 6 months later :D

What you need is about 12 job applications, anywhere in the world if your being specific about your field. If there are not 12 jobs apply for anything but don't expect an interview, you will receive a hand signed letter saying a more suitable mandate was chosen which makes the RAV happy, however absurd the job application! Employers know the RAV rules & realise why you applied & reply to help you.


st2lemans 09.08.2021 21:51

Re: RAV question - issued termination letter from company, contract to end in 6 month
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andreag (Post 3336312)
Assuming the 3 months notice are paid in lieu, when is it deemed the first day of unemployment?

When they stop paying you.

Tom


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:57.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0