Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.02.2019, 17:02
Phoebe2's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 61
Groaned at 18 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Phoebe2 has annoyed a few people around herePhoebe2 has annoyed a few people around herePhoebe2 has annoyed a few people around here
Career change

Hi all,
A career change question. How does that happen in Switzerland?

I have completed a CAS in Compliance Investigator with ZHAW in Dec 18' and I was a criminal investigator aka cop for 10 years. The course was conducted entirely in Deutsch. I can write and speak Deutsch well.

I am seeking to reenter the workforce after a 3-year break. Been here for that long too.

I have been looking for a job for over a month now. I have had one interview. Good result. But no position yet. I was a spontane bewerbung. The rest...

The potential jobs that I have sought thus far are:
1. Compliance officer/analyst/assistant;
2. Admin assist;
3. Investigator;
4. Junior compliance officer.

Are there any other jobs that I could potentially look into. I am asking for some tips.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02.02.2019, 13:34
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,209
Groaned at 88 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 19,235 Times in 8,522 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Career change

A month is not a long time to search for a job here. One interview in a month sounds pretty good to me.

How many applications have you sent? Are you tailoring your CV and covering letter to each job or is it a generic application packet? What kinds of companies/organizations/agencies have you applied to? Are you looking to get back into the police force?

Maybe a bit more info might help us point you in a better direction.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 02.02.2019, 15:17
Phoebe2's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 61
Groaned at 18 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Phoebe2 has annoyed a few people around herePhoebe2 has annoyed a few people around herePhoebe2 has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Career change

Quote:
View Post
A month is not a long time to search for a job here. One interview in a month sounds pretty good to me.

How many applications have you sent? Are you tailoring your CV and covering letter to each job or is it a generic application packet? What kinds of companies/organizations/agencies have you applied to? Are you looking to get back into the police force?

Maybe a bit more info might help us point you in a better direction.
Actually, my job search began in October 2018. Then I did it ab and zu. But since December 18' I have begun to go at full throttle.

How many applications have you sent? Up to date, about 50. This is my 2nd round. The 1st round was in 2016. No success then. Thereafter, I decided to enrolment myself at ZHAW. I did a compliance investigator course that specialised in internal investigations. So now I am actively seeking. So I have been sending one or 2 CVs each day.

Are you tailoring your CV and covering letter to each job or is it a generic application packet? Yes, to each job. But with the spontaneous ones I highlight all my transferable skills.

What kinds of companies/organizations/agencies have you applied to? So far to banks, insurance, law firms, fed pol,

Are you looking to get back into the police force? With the Kantons, I will need a C permit or a Swiss pass, which I possess neither. I am 2 years away to becoming a permanent resident. My only option is Fed Pol. My overseas police training is not recognised here but my skills and qualifications are.

With the banks, I have applied to even the most junior positions. I have also attended a career fair. Credit Suisse doesn't want experienced applicants for junior positions. UBS likes one page CV to which I have adapted mine.

I am right now sending applications to admin assist jobs at Pharma companies. Perhaps from there, I could get to know people in the compliance section. I am rather focusing on quality than quantity. I am not sure that is a good strategy. I have heard that sending 100s is a norm.
I hope to secure a position by April 19'. Why? I will be turning 40 then. I am worried about the age discrimination. Although no one has ever asked me for my age. Most thought I was in my early 30s.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phoebe2 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 02.02.2019, 16:43
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Career change

Quote:
View Post
Actually, my job search began in October 2018. Then I did it ab and zu. But since December 18' I have begun to go at full throttle.

How many applications have you sent? Up to date, about 50. This is my 2nd round. The 1st round was in 2016. No success then. Thereafter, I decided to enrolment myself at ZHAW. I did a compliance investigator course that specialised in internal investigations. So now I am actively seeking. So I have been sending one or 2 CVs each day.

Are you tailoring your CV and covering letter to each job or is it a generic application packet? Yes, to each job. But with the spontaneous ones I highlight all my transferable skills.

What kinds of companies/organizations/agencies have you applied to? So far to banks, insurance, law firms, fed pol,

Are you looking to get back into the police force? With the Kantons, I will need a C permit or a Swiss pass, which I possess neither. I am 2 years away to becoming a permanent resident. My only option is Fed Pol. My overseas police training is not recognised here but my skills and qualifications are.

With the banks, I have applied to even the most junior positions. I have also attended a career fair. Credit Suisse doesn't want experienced applicants for junior positions. UBS likes one page CV to which I have adapted mine.

I am right now sending applications to admin assist jobs at Pharma companies. Perhaps from there, I could get to know people in the compliance section. I am rather focusing on quality than quantity. I am not sure that is a good strategy. I have heard that sending 100s is a norm.
I hope to secure a position by April 19'. Why? I will be turning 40 then. I am worried about the age discrimination. Although no one has ever asked me for my age. Most thought I was in my early 30s.



Nobody wants a qualified person for a junior position, as soon as you find something better you leave, so why bother in the first place hiring somebody qualified, teaching them the job only to receive notice 4 months later.



Without national languages you are not suited for junion position. Juniors take orders from management who may or may not speak English
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 02.02.2019, 18:50
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,265
Groaned at 72 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,746 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Career change

When I was in between jobs last year I was put on a “career strategy” seminar by the RAV. I was very sceptical at first but went in there with a very open mind and I have to say it did wonders to my job application approach and mindset.

For more info on the course see: http://www.sundp.ch/eng/offers/outpl...ategy-why.html

(PM me if you need a specific recommendation for one to one coaching)

One of the major breakthroughs for me was regarding “reactive applications”, where you see a job ad and re-actively send an application. After the seminar I did as little of them as possible (between 6-8 per month).Those type of applications are souls destroyers, the success rate is less than 20% (i.e the chance of getting an interview) and the 80% of the time you are not successful you have zero feedback so you are not able to improve. Quality over quantity is absolutely the right strategy here.

I focused the majority of my time pro-actively looking for a suitable role for me instead of trying to sell myself as someone who matches a role description (does that make sense?). I did this through networking or pro-active applications (mainly networking). The success rate (i.e getting an interview is supposed to be up to 80%)

The networking approach is key, I’m not talking about going to job fairs and meeting random recruiters or people looking for a job. I’m talking about strategically positioning myself to a) get a chance to pitch myself to a decision maker (i.e hiring manager) or b) working on my pitch and value proposition. This is self re-inforcing cycle where you get immediate feedback and are able to adapt very quickly which will sooner or later result in you getting a job!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank The_Love_Doctor for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 02.02.2019, 19:23
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,304
Groaned at 146 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 9,208 Times in 3,492 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Career change

Get your § and go security.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04.02.2019, 10:27
Phoebe2's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 61
Groaned at 18 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Phoebe2 has annoyed a few people around herePhoebe2 has annoyed a few people around herePhoebe2 has annoyed a few people around here
Quote:
View Post
When I was in between jobs last year I was put on a “career strategy” seminar by the RAV. I was very sceptical at first but went in there with a very open mind and I have to say it did wonders to my job application approach and mindset.

For more info on the course see: http://www.sundp.ch/eng/offers/outpl...ategy-why.html

(PM me if you need a specific recommendation for one to one coaching)

One of the major breakthroughs for me was regarding “reactive applications”, where you see a job ad and re-actively send an application. After the seminar I did as little of them as possible (between 6-8 per month).Those type of applications are souls destroyers, the success rate is less than 20% (i.e the chance of getting an interview) and the 80% of the time you are not successful you have zero feedback so you are not able to improve. Quality over quantity is absolutely the right strategy here.

I focused the majority of my time pro-actively looking for a suitable role for me instead of trying to sell myself as someone who matches a role description (does that make sense?). I did this through networking or pro-active applications (mainly networking). The success rate (i.e getting an interview is supposed to be up to 80%)

The networking approach is key, I’m not talking about going to job fairs and meeting random recruiters or people looking for a job. I’m talking about strategically positioning myself to a) get a chance to pitch myself to a decision maker (i.e hiring manager) or b) working on my pitch and value proposition. This is self re-inforcing cycle where you get immediate feedback and are able to adapt very quickly which will sooner or later result in you getting a job!

Good luck!
Thank you Love Doctor.

That's how I 'sold' myself to law firms. I sent spontaneous Ads about my skills and qualifications and one law firm got in touch with me and we had an awesome get to know session. I got feedback from the HR that they were impressed with me and my skills. First ever! I meant first feedback from a CH employer ever!
I am now sending Ads in Deutsch to some other law firms. The fact remains that a good comprehension of Deutsch is essential. I need to show them that. I have an event in March hosted by ZHAW. I will be taking my CVs (D & E) along. Just in case.
But I am also pondering about the kinds of jobs I could do. Has anyone done something completely different (job role wise) with one's transferable skills? I was informed that Swiss employers tend to be rather old fashioned and then to be rigid with qualifications and job roles. Any views?

Quote:
View Post
Get your § and go security.
What do you mean?

Quote:
Without national languages you are not suited for junion position. Juniors take orders from management who may or may not speak English
I do speak and write good Deutsch. I understand Swiss German too. I may not be fluent in it.
Some other companies are open to having experience applicants to a junior position. So far only CS has openly said otherwise (to me at least).

Last edited by 3Wishes; 04.02.2019 at 21:51. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phoebe2 for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 13.02.2019, 18:07
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,265
Groaned at 72 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,746 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Career change

Quote:
View Post
I am now sending Ads in Deutsch to some other law firms. The fact remains that a good comprehension of Deutsch is essential. I need to show them that. I have an event in March hosted by ZHAW. I will be taking my CVs (D & E) along. Just in case.
I don’t know how good your German is but unless you are in the upper B2 or C1 region you will fail at the first hurdle in my opinion.

It will always be difficult to sell yourself where German is described as “essential” or a “must” in the job advert. Your best bet would be where it’s described as “nice to have”.

It’s so easy sometimes to get yourself in the mindset of “I need German” as a pre-requisite, I say think outside the box and analyse roles within your domain that don’t require German. Why go for the most difficult choice if there are simpler alternatives where you can readily utilize or transfer your skills.

Quote:
View Post
But I am also pondering about the kinds of jobs I could do. Has anyone done something completely different (job role wise) with one's transferable skills? I was informed that Swiss employers tend to be rather old fashioned and then to be rigid with qualifications and job roles. Any views?
Everything is possible of course but the main driver is your passion, why do you want to do something different?

Make sure it’s not because: “I just need a job!”, because employers can smell desperation from a mile away.

Not to say that “I just need a job!” Is somewhat a bad thing, it’s ok to earn some money but make sure any tactical jobs you do for a bit of cash don’t come in the way of your long term goals.

Stupid example:
- You need improve your German and you can’t get a job working in German.
-> tactical solution: work in a Bar, this is bad because it erodes your profile and puts you on a wrong track, you might learn some German but it won’t do you any good long term.
-> better solution: volunteer to work with Refugees, for argument sake, where some legal advice is needed. This is better because you will need to brush up on your German and use it in a legal context and there is potential it will lead to something in line with your long term goals.

Good luck again!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank The_Love_Doctor for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 14.02.2019, 10:56
Phoebe2's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 61
Groaned at 18 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Phoebe2 has annoyed a few people around herePhoebe2 has annoyed a few people around herePhoebe2 has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Career change

Quote:
View Post
It’s so easy sometimes to get yourself in the mindset of “I need German” as a pre-requisite, I say think outside the box and analyse roles within your domain that don’t require German. Why go for the most difficult choice if there are simpler alternatives where you can readily utilize or transfer your skills.
************************************************** ************
Stupid example:
- You need improve your German and you can’t get a job working in German.
-> tactical solution: work in a Bar, this is bad because it erodes your profile and puts you on a wrong track, you might learn some German but it won’t do you any good long term.
-> better solution: volunteer to work with Refugees, for argument sake, where some legal advice is needed. This is better because you will need to brush up on your German and use it in a legal context and there is potential it will lead to something in line with your long term goals.
I agree with your views. And your examples are super! Thank you for that.

It took me a while to rethink about my actual position. I had to be brutally honest with what I could offer. My German is at the B2 level. And my competitors in the job market are Germans who could also speak English well.

So the strategy is this:
1. I apply for positions like admin asst. or junior compliance officer at a specific company.
2. While at it, I learn about the industry and the company.
3. Grow my skills and apply for my desired role within the company (as an internal applicant).

Does that sound feasible?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14.02.2019, 10:59
Troublawesome's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,107
Groaned at 244 Times in 143 Posts
Thanked 1,193 Times in 526 Posts
Troublawesome is considered knowledgeableTroublawesome is considered knowledgeableTroublawesome is considered knowledgeable
Re: Career change

If you PM me some details I can see if you could be a good fit in our Compliance department, no promises but I'll see what roles we have and if there's a match.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Troublawesome for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 14.02.2019, 12:01
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,265
Groaned at 72 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,746 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Career change

Quote:
View Post
I agree with your views. It took me a while to rethink about my actual position. I had to be brutally honest with what I could offer. My German is at the B2 level. And my competitors in the job market are Germans who could also speak English well.

So the strategy is this:
1. I apply for positions like admin asst. or junior compliance officer at a specific company.
2. While at it, I learn about the industry and the company.
3. Grow my skills and apply for my desired role within the company (as an internal applicant).

Does that sound feasible?

Sounds very reasonable to me.

They key in my opinion is to have simultaneous “positioning” strategies, don’t get married to just one approach... You never know what would work!

I had some of the best ideas from just meeting people for a coffee! It’s a chance to practice your pitch, get insights into potential diversification avenues and get someone else’s perspective on things.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank The_Love_Doctor for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Career change- hr Butterfly89 Education 13 23.04.2017 18:23
Career path change Maciej Employment 3 16.08.2015 17:11
Change of career kyo General off-topic 4 12.02.2012 21:47
CV for career change travnett Employment 8 17.03.2011 18:23
Change career: Banking? seyon Employment 8 20.03.2010 19:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0