Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 08.05.2020, 21:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 24 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
timpeterson has become a little unpopulartimpeterson has become a little unpopular
Quote:
View Post
Making it big means making millions in a year. Not a paltry 200 thousand.
So how do you normally do that around here?

Quote:
View Post
Tip of the day:

Get hired by Credit Suisse and then become one of the 1'070 so called "Material Risk Takers".

As such a key risk manager you will get an average compensation of 1.5 Mio CHF.


https://insideparadeplatz.ch/2018/12...655-millionen/
What is the requirements to do a job like this? Whats the steps

Quote:
View Post


Anyways, make it big means different things to different people. Big means happy for me. Happy today.
So what makes you happy? Please tell what you do that makes you feel like you are making it big. If you get payed well and have a great time, i agree you might be on to something. Please clarify

Last edited by roegner; 08.05.2020 at 21:37. Reason: Merging posts
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank timpeterson for this useful post:
  #122  
Old 08.05.2020, 21:52
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,582
Groaned at 2,354 Times in 1,712 Posts
Thanked 38,380 Times in 18,113 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
Oh it's moving. I have 200k now but would like it to go a bit faster Just wanted to reactivate the topic. Do you have some new suggestions?
Become a hi-class hooker.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
This user groans at st2lemans for this post:
  #123  
Old 09.05.2020, 01:03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 24 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
timpeterson has become a little unpopulartimpeterson has become a little unpopular
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
Become a hi-class hooker.
Tom
I believe you spend alot a money on that Is that your best suggestion? (this post is not about shady stuff)
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 09.05.2020, 02:41
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 217 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 7,421 Times in 3,283 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
So what makes you happy? Please tell what you do that makes you feel like you are making it big. If you get payed well and have a great time, i agree you might be on to something. Please clarify
Sounds like you know the price of everything and the value nothing. Right now I’m happy to be in a twat free environment, working on an interesting project for no financial gain.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #125  
Old 09.05.2020, 08:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,639 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
So what makes you happy? Please tell what you do that makes you feel like you are making it big. If you get payed well and have a great time, i agree you might be on to something. Please clarify
I'm not sure if you're here for the lolz or are genuinely interested in finding and pursuing your way. The jury is still out on this one.

Quote:
View Post
I believe you spend alot a money on that Is that your best suggestion? (this post is not about shady stuff)
This is what you can also get if you pick a bunch of strangers on the internet. Become a prostitute, drug dealer or a politician.

Quote:
View Post

What is the requirements to do a job like this? Whats the steps
Now now, be reasonable. You finally got a concrete idea and can't do your homework?

I think it's not that difficult to find out for yourself what you need in order to get a job at Credit Suisse
Quote:
and then become one of the 1'070 so called "Material Risk Takers".
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 09.05.2020, 09:53
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
Become a hi-class hooker.

How much do they/you charge?
Asking for a friend.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
  #127  
Old 09.05.2020, 12:14
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,582
Groaned at 2,354 Times in 1,712 Posts
Thanked 38,380 Times in 18,113 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
(this post is not about shady stuff)
It's not at all shady here, it's a genuine profession, you can even claim unemployment!

And it's certainly morally superior to being a banker!

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #128  
Old 09.05.2020, 19:10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ZH
Posts: 489
Groaned at 32 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 529 Times in 250 Posts
LifeStrain has a reputation beyond reputeLifeStrain has a reputation beyond reputeLifeStrain has a reputation beyond reputeLifeStrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

We start walking in circles in this thread... hookers, IT, Bankers, hookers, some healthcare, more hookers, own business, more IT, more hookers...

Basically, you need to open and manage a brothel of hookers with some IT skills working for pharma and bankers.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank LifeStrain for this useful post:
  #129  
Old 09.05.2020, 23:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 24 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
timpeterson has become a little unpopulartimpeterson has become a little unpopular
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
We start walking in circles in this thread... hookers, IT, Bankers, hookers, some healthcare, more hookers, own business, more IT, more hookers...

Basically, you need to open and manage a brothel of hookers with some IT skills working for pharma and bankers.
Like the summary ;D (if site admin could delete all comments with "hooker" in it, this would a be a nice post, i don't get people get something out of writing that.)

Last edited by timpeterson; 09.05.2020 at 23:22.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 09.05.2020, 23:17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 24 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
timpeterson has become a little unpopulartimpeterson has become a little unpopular
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
Tip of the day:

Get hired by Credit Suisse and then become one of the 1'070 so called "Material Risk Takers".

As such a key risk manager you will get an average compensation of 1.5 Mio CHF.


https://insideparadeplatz.ch/2018/12...655-millionen/
Last question. What educational qualification do you need to get accepted for such a role?
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 09.05.2020, 23:20
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 156
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 143 Times in 79 Posts
spark is considered knowledgeablespark is considered knowledgeablespark is considered knowledgeable
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
Basically, you need to open and manage a brothel of hookers with some IT skills working for pharma and bankers.
Basically, an IT consultancy / staffing agency. Yep, I'm sure money's pretty good for the owners of these bodyshops.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 10.05.2020, 09:58
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 11,998
Groaned at 334 Times in 273 Posts
Thanked 22,926 Times in 8,297 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
@Treverus So what is hitting the jackpot? You come with no ideas. I'm trying to find what to do not to get reminded i suck
I’ve got enough life experience to tell you that there isn’t an easy way. I know two types of people who made significant money on their own: the first group worked their asses off to make partner in a law firm or consultancy, managing director in a bank or similar. Yes, that takes a highe education and around 15 years till it pays off. The second group are entrepreneurs. Not easy either. The only thing you got wrong is that these companies don’t have to be the next Facebook- it can be something incredibly boring. If you earn a cut of the productivity of 50 employees and manage them well do you make money.

Your it contracting dream simply doesn’t scale - you are limited by the numbers of hours in a day you can bill your customer. Even if it is your thing: only way is to make money of other people working for you.

Maybe read das Kapital to understand this better ;-)
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #133  
Old 10.05.2020, 10:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,639 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
I Even if it is your thing: only way is to make money of other people working for you.

Maybe read das Kapital to understand this better ;-)
And pay them shit salaries. However, I think that successful business model is old.

Oh, and "manage them well"? I don't even want to know what that means to some.

@OP,

In regards with start-ups in IT. Do your research as you could be onto something in Switzerland. (and not only)
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 10.05.2020, 10:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
We start walking in circles in this thread... hookers, IT, Bankers, hookers, some healthcare, more hookers, own business, more IT, more hookers...

Basically, you need to open and manage a brothel of hookers with some IT skills working for pharma and bankers.
I'm in. How do I invest?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #135  
Old 10.05.2020, 11:21
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 170
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 138 Times in 72 Posts
rezak has earned some respectrezak has earned some respect
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
We start walking in circles in this thread... hookers, IT, Bankers, hookers, some healthcare, more hookers, own business, more IT, more hookers...

Basically, you need to open and manage a brothel of hookers with some IT skills working for pharma and bankers.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rezak for this useful post:
  #136  
Old 10.05.2020, 11:54
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 217 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 7,421 Times in 3,283 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
the first group worked their asses off to make partner in a law firm or consultancy, managing director in a bank or similar. Yes, that takes a highe education and around 15 years till it pays off.
It takes more than hard work though, you need to be a people person, you need to be able to sell and bring the clients in. And of course be good at office politics. The is a place a few technical geniuses, so long as the other partners are will to bring the clients in for you to service.

Of the 93 people who joined a big 4 in Dublin with me 30+ years ago, none made it to partner, two died (literally) trying and the rest of us figured how to earn a comfortable living without being a slave to the office.

Of the 16 partners in the firm at that time 12 had serious health issues, two died while I was there, one was 43 and the other 54. And the managing partner from my time died at 61 a week after he retired, found slumped in his car after his first golf match in several years.

Quote:
The second group are entrepreneurs. Not easy either. The only thing you got wrong is that these companies don’t have to be the next Facebook- it can be something incredibly boring. If you earn a cut of the productivity of 50 employees and manage them well do you make money.
True to a point, but 9 out of 10 fail and the one that does succeed is usually of the back a few failures. My area of expertise in accounting was fraud and insolvency. I remember one guy in particular that we liquidated three times!

Quote:
Your it contracting dream simply doesn’t scale - you are limited by the numbers of hours in a day you can bill your customer. Even if it is your thing: only way is to make money of other people working for you.
You hit it on the head. But at least back in the late 80s/90s, it was a great way to earn the seed money to start with.
__________________
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." - Nelson Mandela
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #137  
Old 10.05.2020, 12:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
I’ve got enough life experience to tell you that there isn’t an easy way. I know two types of people who made significant money on their own: the first group worked their asses off to make partner in a law firm or consultancy, managing director in a bank or similar. Yes, that takes a highe education and around 15 years till it pays off. The second group are entrepreneurs. Not easy either. The only thing you got wrong is that these companies don’t have to be the next Facebook- it can be something incredibly boring. If you earn a cut of the productivity of 50 employees and manage them well do you make money.

Your it contracting dream simply doesn’t scale - you are limited by the numbers of hours in a day you can bill your customer. Even if it is your thing: only way is to make money of other people working for you.

Maybe read das Kapital to understand this better ;-)
I've seen US lawyers bill 3000 hours a year at over $1000 dollars an hour. That's real money just on your own efforts (even if you aren't partner you'll be getting around $300k base and a large bonus). It does however induce complete burnout.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #138  
Old 10.05.2020, 12:58
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,292
Groaned at 394 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 19,993 Times in 10,412 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
I've seen US lawyers bill 3000 hours a year at over $1000 dollars an hour.
In a lawsuit culture? It is logical, innit. It seems to be an industry on its own, look at all the fake (or not) allegations that are there these days. It seems characteristical for what is happening there. Media happily feed that industry.

Here, people pay a lot of chocolate. And they don't have to.

Whether people here will pay a lot for OP depends on what he considers "a lot". I still cannot see him linking the Happy=big salary (health out of window) as the smartest way to go about life. 1 out of 5 rich people I know are happy because of the cash or status, tbh..
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein

Last edited by MusicChick; 10.05.2020 at 13:13.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 10.05.2020, 13:55
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 11,998
Groaned at 334 Times in 273 Posts
Thanked 22,926 Times in 8,297 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

Quote:
View Post
It takes more than hard work though, you need to be a people person, you need to be able to sell and bring the clients in. And of course be good at office politics. The is a place a few technical geniuses, so long as the other partners are will to bring the clients in for you to service.

Of the 93 people who joined a big 4 in Dublin with me 30+ years ago, none made it to partner, two died (literally) trying and the rest of us figured how to earn a comfortable living without being a slave to the office.

Of the 16 partners in the firm at that time 12 had serious health issues, two died while I was there, one was 43 and the other 54. And the managing partner from my time died at 61 a week after he retired, found slumped in his car after his first golf match in several years.



True to a point, but 9 out of 10 fail and the one that does succeed is usually of the back a few failures. My area of expertise in accounting was fraud and insolvency. I remember one guy in particular that we liquidated three times!



You hit it on the head. But at least back in the late 80s/90s, it was a great way to earn the seed money to start with.
The question was how to get a high salary, not how to lead a happy and healthy life.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #140  
Old 10.05.2020, 16:37
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
DunderMifflin has no particular reputation at present
Re: Common ways to make it big in Zürich?

How about investing in start-ups? It's risky but potentially a very lucrative activity (big emphasis on risky though)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
employment, industries, salary, salary range, wealth




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Effective ways to find accommodation in Zürich City for pet owners. Edison P Housing in general 0 12.07.2016 09:58
Ways to Optimize Our Tax Exposure (Smart+Legal Ways to Pay Less Taxes) defcon3 Finance/banking/taxation 16 29.06.2012 11:11
Want to post a big parcel, post Office says it is too big Sutter Other/general 46 10.12.2010 11:00
Doing events in Switzerland - good ways to bring in money/make popular stuff hollisterb General off-topic 0 27.07.2009 11:06
Ways to make Euro 2008 more interesting james82 Football/sports 16 17.06.2008 19:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0