Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.04.2019, 19:47
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Birikina has no particular reputation at present
Novartis - Lead vs Head

Hi Community


I am new to this forum and I really like it.
I did a research here in the forum and I read the previous posts posted here. In special the one regarding the job levels vs job bands https://www.englishforum.ch/employme...-novartis.html


I have seen many jobs at Novartis now have the title either as Head of XYZ or as Lead, XYZ.
Does anyone know the difference at Novartis?


Also, I looked on Glassdoor and hardly could find reviews as "Lead, XYZ".


Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24.04.2019, 19:48
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 14,195
Groaned at 256 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 21,071 Times in 8,558 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Novartis - Lead vs Head

Head is better than lead.

I was a "Head of...". My staff were "Lead..."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 25.04.2019, 14:38
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,688
Groaned at 35 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 6,942 Times in 2,244 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Novartis - Lead vs Head

Quote:
View Post
Head is better than lead.

I was a "Head of...". My staff were "Lead..."

Not necessarily. The important deciding factor is the GJFA (Global Job Family) level that the job carries. In the US, the positions carry standard titles ('Associate Director', 'Director', 'Executive Director', 'VP') that correspond to specific GJFAs, but in Switzerland the titles are not standardized in the same way.


I was a 'Global Head' and then got promoted to 'Manager'. Titles can be deceptive.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 25.04.2019, 16:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Novartis - Lead vs Head

Hi, i'm not in Novartis but the "Lead" title one of these new Bullcrap titles that have shown up in the past years to suggest "empowerment" in the position or suggest something that is higher than it is. A "Head" usually has direct reports and head up a function or sub-fucntion. Generally speaking a "lead" is an individual contributor who may lead a "work stream" or "task force" or something task withing function. They report to a "head". They can in some cases have reports but often not. The "lead" title can be applied to many job ranks from Manager to Director, so you can be a Product Manager or Brand Manager, but still be cosidered a "lead" by function, I.e. Launch Lead, or LifeCycle Management Lead and so on, and they coordinate activities of varied cross-functional folks. They are still by title ...a manager or what ever. So these days you see CVs where everyone is a Lead, Hiring managers/HR know this, many applicants don't put their job rank on CV, and write "Lead", even though they may say be only Manager level. For example. Hope this helps, but these days everyone is a "lead". Some go as far as useing a "Leader" title, even though they're still Manager level. etc. etc. I personally dont use the title, I use it only to describe when i'm leading a project, I'm happy to use my job rank its clear what I am, my rank, and level of contribution. Hope it helps, but Novartis Roche, name your favorit company, all doing this. (except for my current employer, a manager is a manager, a director is a director, a VP is a VP, a Head is a Head, no murky titles.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25.04.2019, 17:45
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,332
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Novartis - Lead vs Head

Everything and everyone is a "Head of" something at Novartis, often even a "Global Head of" whatever, the latter usually just indicating that the jobs sits in a global, HQ-based function, but personally, I would assume someone with the title Global Head has actually proper global responsibility. Further, a massive proportion of those so-called Heads have no direct reports whatsoever. OTOH there's plenty of "Lead of" whatever that actually do have direct reports.

As VI says, the titles are standardized in the US along a job level grid, but not anywhere else. Simply because outside the US, no one gives a damn whether your job comes with a Director title or not. However, beyond the US, there's more structure in some parts/functions than in others.

So bottom line: no one can tell you what one means over another and whether one is somehow more important or better than the other. Chances are no one will really care either.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.04.2019, 16:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Novartis - Lead vs Head

Quote:
View Post

As VI says, the titles are standardized in the US along a job level grid, but not anywhere else. Simply because outside the US, no one gives a damn whether your job comes with a Director title or not. However, beyond the US, there's more structure in some parts/functions than in others.

.


Wrong on the comment that no one cares if job with a Director title or not outsdie the US. In CH, this is absolutely a fact in Pharma, they do care if you have a Director title or not. You may have inside Novartis view, but externally..different world (Yes..I haven't work for Novartis as said..but the person who shares my bed and is mother of my child did for quite few years..now on the other side of the river at the other one..and notes a far better environment vs. N., i'm in another Pharma, mid-sized,). I've seen people getting burnout and sick here in CH because there were not getting promoted to Director. Weird. I was very happy when I was manager level. Hell, if i could keep my compensation, I'd happily take a demotion. Call me janitor. Just pay me. You don't find that thinking in CH.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23.11.2019, 06:34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nordwestschweiz
Posts: 288
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 264 Times in 117 Posts
IronAngle is considered knowledgeableIronAngle is considered knowledgeableIronAngle is considered knowledgeable
Re: Novartis - Lead vs Head

Quote:
View Post
Everything and everyone is a "Head of" something at Novartis, often even a "Global Head of" whatever, the latter usually just indicating that the jobs sits in a global, HQ-based function, but personally, I would assume someone with the title Global Head has actually proper global responsibility. Further, a massive proportion of those so-called Heads have no direct reports whatsoever. OTOH there's plenty of "Lead of" whatever that actually do have direct reports.

As VI says, the titles are standardized in the US along a job level grid, but not anywhere else. Simply because outside the US, no one gives a damn whether your job comes with a Director title or not. However, beyond the US, there's more structure in some parts/functions than in others.

So bottom line: no one can tell you what one means over another and whether one is somehow more important or better than the other. Chances are no one will really care either.
Your comment reminds me of an inside joke we have going with some colleagues where we renamed some of the job titles in our company (who hasn't done this?)

Receptionist: Head of Communications
Janitor: Head of Infrastructure
Intern: Management Trainee

Project Manager: Postman/Chief Delegation Officer
Head of Site: Social Initiative (in the sense that we are playing our part in keeping unemployment down by giving him an office and a salary)
IT Guy: Reboot specialist/Ticket Collector
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank IronAngle for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 24.04.2019, 20:35
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bern
Posts: 163
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 67 Times in 48 Posts
ITguy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Novartis - Lead vs Head

Quote:
View Post
Hi Community


I am new to this forum and I really like it.
I did a research here in the forum and I read the previous posts posted here. In special the one regarding the job levels vs job bands https://www.englishforum.ch/employme...-novartis.html


I have seen many jobs at Novartis now have the title either as Head of XYZ or as Lead, XYZ.
Does anyone know the difference at Novartis?


Also, I looked on Glassdoor and hardly could find reviews as "Lead, XYZ".


Thank you!
Lead is like more specialist position generally. Like lead analyst/consultant etc. This guy will be the technical lead in the department and will be responsible for the solution etc.

Head generally denotes that it's a line management position handling a team of people (including leads and others).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ITguy for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 24.04.2019, 23:47
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Birikina has no particular reputation at present
Re: Novartis - Lead vs Head

Thank you. So a Lead has no managerial responsibility, but project responsibility.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
novartis




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2in1 laptops: MS Surface Book vs Lenovo Yoga vs HP Spectre 360 vs Dell Inspiron Troublawesome TV/internet/telephone 17 12.11.2017 19:54
Job levels vs Job Bands / Novartis Raquel Zane Employment 0 14.09.2017 15:56
St gallen vs UZH vs HEC lausanne vs ESADE moutouln Education 0 14.07.2016 02:31
ECAL vs HEAD, having a dog, and finding like-minded eco people near Lausanne kimbergill Daily life 7 23.11.2015 23:05
[Basel] German language school Academia vs Berlitz vs Inlingua vs Migros klubschule SarcasmXXL Language corner 2 31.10.2014 10:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0