Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.06.2019, 16:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kanton ZH
Posts: 86
Groaned at 44 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 102 Times in 42 Posts
Susie-Q has earned some respectSusie-Q has earned some respect
What’s with all the outsourcing?

Hello,

I work in pharma. I just started in a new company where most work that is not completed by VP’s/Directors is outsourced to India. This includes project managers, market research, communications, publications and even administrative assistants.

I know things have steadily been moving in that direction for years, but now it looks like it will be nothing but senior directors/or higher left in corporations Switzerland before long. Novartis recently announced that some directors will be moved to East Europe. What are us plebs to do?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 21.06.2019, 16:45
Squeeeez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Frauenfeld
Posts: 868
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 837 Times in 387 Posts
Squeeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Start your own company where you can be the CEO who's outsourcing stuff?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Squeeeez for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 21.06.2019, 16:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,440
Groaned at 312 Times in 247 Posts
Thanked 5,927 Times in 3,005 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

You can offer to work for lower salary, you could move to India, you could switch profession, you could get a high ranked job etc.. etc..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21.06.2019, 17:14
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,284
Groaned at 268 Times in 174 Posts
Thanked 15,674 Times in 6,659 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

start a swiss german school in Hyderabad
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 21.06.2019, 17:17
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,530
Groaned at 298 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 9,136 Times in 4,625 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Quote:
View Post
start a swiss german school in Hyderabad
Like in the best exotic Marigold hotel?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 21.06.2019, 17:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,587
Groaned at 649 Times in 477 Posts
Thanked 15,477 Times in 6,068 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

I work in pharma. I just started in a new company where most work that is not completed by VP’s/Directors is outsourced to India. This includes project managers, market research, communications, publications and even administrative assistants.

I know things have steadily been moving in that direction for years, but now it looks like it will be nothing but senior directors/or higher left in corporations Switzerland before long. Novartis recently announced that some directors will be moved to East Europe. What are us plebs to do?
Aldi/Lidl are hiring and they pay pretty well for 'stock management technicians'!

On a serious note, cost pressures drive short and long-term outsourcing but the cost benefits are not always as simple as they seem in countries where turnover is very high. Plus, when a country becomes heavily outsourced to it then becomes more competitive and salaries rise, further reducing the cost benefits.

Bratislava (Slovakia) is a case in point where many companies are competing for the workers and even offering sign on bonuses of 10k EUR (like a third of a years salary or so)!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 21.06.2019, 17:29
Squeeeez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Frauenfeld
Posts: 868
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 837 Times in 387 Posts
Squeeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Quote:
View Post
Bratislava (Slovakia) is a case in point where many companies are competing for the workers and even offering sign on bonuses of 10k EUR (like a third of a years salary or so)!
Hmmm... how long do you have to stay to get the 10k?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Squeeeez for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 21.06.2019, 17:30
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,172
Groaned at 123 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,124 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Same in banking (at least IT) and related financial services.
All cost centres have been / are in the process of being outsourced to cheaper locations.

Only profit centres remain. Or at least those that can't be fully automated i.e. requiring a great deal of client contact and interaction will remain (but that will also reduce greatly due to cutting-edge technology already in progress).

Here a link to a report published today on salary development, which is the most honest I've seen in my decades here in CH. It pretty much confirms your post:

https://www.20min.ch/finance/news/st...-Chef-15745853

Apologies, have it only in German, but assume that your English is good.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 21.06.2019, 18:07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kanton ZH
Posts: 86
Groaned at 44 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 102 Times in 42 Posts
Susie-Q has earned some respectSusie-Q has earned some respect
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

I was working previously in a major pharma company where they moved my job to the UK since it was too complicated to outsource, but it was cheaper than here. Meanwhile, they report one of their top years ever...

At some point, you would think the government would get involved since a mass exodus of tax paying ex-pats and unemployed citizens is in their midst...but I guess corporations have the final say these days. Now I’m working in a job that requires minimal skills since all project task oriented jobs have moved away...sucks, and I’m actually quite lucky to have what I have.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 21.06.2019, 18:25
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,172
Groaned at 123 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,124 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Quote:
View Post
I was working previously in a major pharma company where they moved my job to the UK since it was too complicated to outsource, but it was cheaper than here. Meanwhile, they report one of their top years ever...

At some point, you would think the government would get involved since a mass exodus of tax paying ex-pats and unemployed citizens is in their midst...but I guess corporations have the final say these days. Now I’m working in a job that requires minimal skills since all project task oriented jobs have moved away...sucks, and I’m actually quite lucky to have what I have.
Same here in IT. Made the same experience.
I don't know how large corporations in CH get around the hiring laws, permits etc. Except that they usually form companies in the desired locations.

But you're right...sucks
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 21.06.2019, 21:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,470
Groaned at 143 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,154 Times in 1,596 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Don’t worry too much, big firms are moving some stuff overseas but the Swiss economy as a whole still needs a lot of IT people - in Switzerland. Focus on being motivated and positive and have some business awareness and you’ll be fine.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 21.06.2019, 22:09
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 12,869
Groaned at 181 Times in 145 Posts
Thanked 15,207 Times in 7,699 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

I work in pharma. I just started in a new company where most work that is not completed by VP’s/Directors is outsourced to India. This includes project managers, market research, communications, publications and even administrative assistants.

I know things have steadily been moving in that direction for years, but now it looks like it will be nothing but senior directors/or higher left in corporations Switzerland before long. Novartis recently announced that some directors will be moved to East Europe. What are us plebs to do?
Move to EE? Is it that scary?

What is the antonym for a "brain-drain"?
Although if people are complaining about Swiss German being tough..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22.06.2019, 00:04
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,297
Groaned at 807 Times in 546 Posts
Thanked 8,964 Times in 4,244 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Quote:
View Post
I was working previously in a major pharma company where they moved my job to the UK since it was too complicated to outsource, but it was cheaper than here. Meanwhile, they report one of their top years ever...

At some point, you would think the government would get involved since a mass exodus of tax paying ex-pats and unemployed citizens is in their midst...but I guess corporations have the final say these days. Now I’m working in a job that requires minimal skills since all project task oriented jobs have moved away...sucks, and I’m actually quite lucky to have what I have.

You don't seem to understand, it is not what money thy made in past year that the direction worry about, it's where the company may or may not be in 5 years time.


Long term planning....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22.06.2019, 08:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kanton ZH
Posts: 86
Groaned at 44 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 102 Times in 42 Posts
Susie-Q has earned some respectSusie-Q has earned some respect
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Quote:
View Post
You don't seem to understand, it is not what money thy made in past year that the direction worry about, it's where the company may or may not be in 5 years time.


Long term planning....
They’re doing just fine, trust me.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 22.06.2019, 08:54
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,297
Groaned at 807 Times in 546 Posts
Thanked 8,964 Times in 4,244 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Sure they are because certain measures were taken 5 years ago, just as they will be doing fine in 5 years time as certain measures are being taken now.


The fact they are "doing just fine" is not down to luck but management who have to take tough decisions.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 22.06.2019, 09:25
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nyon
Posts: 2,838
Groaned at 77 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 3,444 Times in 1,366 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

These things come and go .. Outsource / Insource / Changesource / repeat..

I've been in same big company for 11/12 years, I've seen work going to Singapore until it became too expensive, then Latvia, then India etc etc.. Currently alot is moving back to the UK, Manchester .. Then Glasgow is the next big thing.

Some people have followed the role and done very well out of it, moving from place to place and being promoted each time.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22.06.2019, 10:07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kanton ZH
Posts: 86
Groaned at 44 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 102 Times in 42 Posts
Susie-Q has earned some respectSusie-Q has earned some respect
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Quote:
View Post
Sure they are because certain measures were taken 5 years ago, just as they will be doing fine in 5 years time as certain measures are being taken now.


The fact they are "doing just fine" is not down to luck but management who have to take tough decisions.
In some cases, yes this is true. But in most cases, it is 100% pure greed and done to make “shareholders happy”. Many people that were fired over the past two years, were asked to “reapply” for their jobs.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 22.06.2019, 10:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,027
Groaned at 240 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 14,690 Times in 5,076 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Most jobs that are off-shored or near-shored will be replaced by automation and robotics in the near future anyway, so I don't think it is a big loss. It's just a huge risk for the countries that are now building their economies on such jobs.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 22.06.2019, 13:17
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,297
Groaned at 807 Times in 546 Posts
Thanked 8,964 Times in 4,244 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

Quote:
View Post
In some cases, yes this is true. But in most cases, it is 100% pure greed and done to make “shareholders happy”. Many people that were fired over the past two years, were asked to “reapply” for their jobs.
What do you really think is the purpose of a company is ?

Stop thinking anything different other than return on shareholder investement
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 22.06.2019, 13:49
Sonnenbrand's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Zurich - Farm
Posts: 101
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 34 Posts
Sonnenbrand is considered knowledgeableSonnenbrand is considered knowledgeableSonnenbrand is considered knowledgeable
Re: What’s with all the outsourcing?

The Swiss company my wife works for has been sending dozens and dozens of jobs to Bratislava over the last 3-4 years. It seems great that they in theory or on paper are going to save some money... the reality of it is that workers will work for 6-12 months and demand large unreasonable/unjustified promotions, jump ship to go down the street for 100-200 euros more a month or often times hire in and immediately become pregnant and utilize their 3 years time off with a guaranteed job when they come back.

Same kind of story with the workers in Bangladesh as well. For many of them it will be their first real job in an office setting and at first are eager to work and contribute, many of them later on become very upset when they are not promoted within the first year and cite they now have some ground-breaking 6-12 months of experience... they then leave and go to another international company.

As am American, I have seen this "offshoring" going on for 20-30 years in the USA and in the last 5 years the work has started to come back to the U.S. for one reason or another.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Sonnenbrand for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to do with all the Euro coins? Nina123 Finance/banking/taxation 16 28.11.2017 09:47
The What-To-Do-With-All-This-Zucchini Thread meloncollie Food and drink 50 12.08.2013 11:58
What's up with all the German Schlager songs about Italian women? Roestigraben Daily life 22 25.11.2012 21:17
What's with all the noise in Basel tonight? rob1 Daily life 11 14.10.2012 09:54
What's with all the Pizzerias in Geneva? Nickyboy Entertainment & dining 15 09.09.2008 16:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0