Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.01.2020, 10:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Sweden
Posts: 34
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 18 Posts
beingwithyou is considered knowledgeablebeingwithyou is considered knowledgeablebeingwithyou is considered knowledgeable
Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Hi! I am a 18 year old girl currently studying online for a gymnasium exam in Sweden. I'm in a relationship with my current boyfriend who is swiss and resides there. I want to move over but for that I need a job!

I've looked around the forums and I've read plenty of threads but the one's I've found are either no german-language skills with a good education or a good education with no german-language skills. I'm lacking in both. I plan on picking up german and studying it as soon as I move to Switzerland.

Now, as I've looked around most threads are dated 2012-2015, I'm guessing things have changed on the market somehow and I'm wondering how hard it would be for me to find a job or something that would allow me to atleast obtain a residence permit + independence of welfare.
So far I've come to the conclusion that possible jobs are: cleaning, nannying & live-out au-pair since my boyfriend owns an apartment. Another possibility is an internship in an english nursery home but I have absolutely no clue if you need any experience with that and where to even begin looking! Would it even pay? Would I be able to sustain myself?

Would love for someone to help me out, sum up some websites (most I've come accross are for jobs that need BA/MA's and that's just not something I'm able to work with at the moment. )

Any help would be appreciated. (Summing up websites, where to look, what to do, how would I go around everything. Etc!)

Last edited by beingwithyou; 06.01.2020 at 10:37. Reason: german speaking skills, not english!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.01.2020, 11:07
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 10,119
Groaned at 145 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 10,917 Times in 5,774 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
Hi! I am a 18 year old girl currently studying online for a gymnasium exam in Sweden. I'm in a relationship with my current boyfriend who is swiss and resides there. I want to move over but for that I need a job!

I've looked around the forums and I've read plenty of threads but the one's I've found are either no german-language skills with a good education or a good education with no german-language skills. I'm lacking in both. I plan on picking up german and studying it as soon as I move to Switzerland.

Now, as I've looked around most threads are dated 2012-2015, I'm guessing things have changed on the market somehow and I'm wondering how hard it would be for me to find a job or something that would allow me to atleast obtain a residence permit + independence of welfare.
So far I've come to the conclusion that possible jobs are: cleaning, nannying & live-out au-pair since my boyfriend owns an apartment. Another possibility is an internship in an english nursery home but I have absolutely no clue if you need any experience with that and where to even begin looking! Would it even pay? Would I be able to sustain myself?

Would love for someone to help me out, sum up some websites (most I've come accross are for jobs that need BA/MA's and that's just not something I'm able to work with at the moment. )

Any help would be appreciated. (Summing up websites, where to look, what to do, how would I go around everything. Etc!)
I'm sorry, it all sounds like a very bad idea.
Are you studying to the final gymnasium exam or to get in? (why online, I wonder but that's being nosey).
The Freudian information "my current boyfriend" shows that you are realistic enough to know he might not be the one for ever.

Looks like - on the professional side - you are nowhere in life yet. You seriously want to go abroad to work as a cleaner at an age when getting educated is still kind of easily available?
<<.... to find a job or something that would allow me to atleast obtain a residence permit + independence of welfare.>> welfare here is not something you need to worry about as you won't get any.

If you are daydreaming and checking out options - fine. I do that too sometimes. In that case you should look into study stays (but if you're only about to start gymnasium you won't be able to do that here. If you finished, it may be possible to study here but I wouldn't know the details).

If you want to go to Switzerland to be with your (current ) boyfriend no matter what, no matter the costs ..... think again and go back to daydreaming = plan longterm and put education first.
__________________
never ever make assumptions
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 06.01.2020, 11:16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Sweden
Posts: 34
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 18 Posts
beingwithyou is considered knowledgeablebeingwithyou is considered knowledgeablebeingwithyou is considered knowledgeable
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
I'm sorry, it all sounds like a very bad idea.
Are you studying to the final gymnasium exam or to get in? (why online, I wonder but that's being nosey).
The Freudian information "my current boyfriend" shows that you are realistic enough to know he might not be the one for ever.

Looks like - on the professional side - you are nowhere in life yet. You seriously want to go abroad to work as a cleaner at an age when getting educated is still kind of easily available?
<<.... to find a job or something that would allow me to atleast obtain a residence permit + independence of welfare.>> welfare here is not something you need to worry about as you won't get any.

If you are daydreaming and checking out options - fine. I do that too sometimes. In that case you should look into study stays (but if you're only about to start gymnasium you won't be able to do that here. If you finished, it may be possible to study here but I wouldn't know the details).

If you want to go to Switzerland to be with your (current ) boyfriend no matter what, no matter the costs ..... think again and go back to daydreaming = plan longterm and put education first.
I'm already in gymnasium, I have 1,5y left of education to finish and get my examen. I study online because it's more flexible and other things.
And current because he'll always be the current one

I'm not here to get my future questioned, just for advice. You can tell me it's a bad idea, question my motives and so on but I'm not here to get ''prevented'' but guided.
If I finish my studies (gymnasium) and continue to study in Switzerland, it wouldn't be very possible as it's expensive and most schools are in german (again, I don't posses the neccessary language skills).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank beingwithyou for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 06.01.2020, 11:25
venetian's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Zuerich
Posts: 231
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 226 Times in 110 Posts
venetian is considered knowledgeablevenetian is considered knowledgeablevenetian is considered knowledgeable
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

I don't get the online part, but looking at your age I understand you are almost ready for higher education / university? If so, you could in principle attend university in Switzerland, if you get admitted then you'll get the residence permit...

...BUT...

...you need C1 German skills in order to get in, even if you already know the lessons you are going to take will be taught in English. It means more or less one year of living here and studying German.
During this year you will have to be financially supported by someone, who has enough salary and will officially declare he/she is financially responsible for you.
After you get some German, and if you are legally resident in CH, you can start applying for low-qualification jobs e.g. in small stores, so you get some money. And then you start the University.
I have seen this happening, someone 20 years old. Not easy nor quick, but possible.

On the other side, forget about coming here spontaneously and looking for informal jobs. It's not allowed and anyways complicated.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank venetian for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 06.01.2020, 11:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Sweden
Posts: 34
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 18 Posts
beingwithyou is considered knowledgeablebeingwithyou is considered knowledgeablebeingwithyou is considered knowledgeable
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
I don't get the online part, but looking at your age I understand you are almost ready for higher education / university? If so, you could in principle attend university in Switzerland, if you get admitted then you'll get the residence permit...

...BUT...

...you need C1 German skills in order to get in, even if you already know the lessons you are going to take will be taught in English. It means more or less one year of living here and studying German.
During this year you will have to be financially supported by someone, who has enough salary and will officially declare he/she is financially responsible for you.
After you get some German, and if you are legally resident in CH, you can start applying for low-qualification jobs e.g. in small stores, so you get some money. And then you start the University.
I have seen this happening, someone 20 years old. Not easy nor quick, but possible.

On the other side, forget about coming here spontaneously and looking for informal jobs. It's not allowed and anyways complicated.
You just take online courses, it's the same qualifications and everything!

Ah, I see. I don't think the canton my boyfriend lives in permits a concubine permit (him showing that he can provide for me) so it wouldn't work. (Living there, then picking up studies & work). He's also planning to start studying so it wouldn't work out because of insufficient funds.

Wait what? Why is it not allowed? I've read about it on here and thought it was an option? Why would it not be?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at beingwithyou for this post:
  #6  
Old 06.01.2020, 11:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,945
Groaned at 715 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 15,979 Times in 6,286 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
Hi! I am a 18 year old girl currently studying online for a gymnasium exam in Sweden. I'm in a relationship with my current boyfriend who is swiss and resides there. I want to move over but for that I need a job!

I've looked around the forums and I've read plenty of threads but the one's I've found are either no german-language skills with a good education or a good education with no german-language skills. I'm lacking in both. I plan on picking up german and studying it as soon as I move to Switzerland.

Now, as I've looked around most threads are dated 2012-2015, I'm guessing things have changed on the market somehow and I'm wondering how hard it would be for me to find a job or something that would allow me to atleast obtain a residence permit + independence of welfare.
So far I've come to the conclusion that possible jobs are: cleaning, nannying & live-out au-pair since my boyfriend owns an apartment. Another possibility is an internship in an english nursery home but I have absolutely no clue if you need any experience with that and where to even begin looking! Would it even pay? Would I be able to sustain myself?

Would love for someone to help me out, sum up some websites (most I've come accross are for jobs that need BA/MA's and that's just not something I'm able to work with at the moment. )

Any help would be appreciated. (Summing up websites, where to look, what to do, how would I go around everything. Etc!)
I am not trying to patronise you but you are only 18 years old, barely past childhood and at the age where most people start studying further education... why are you looking to move your life over to a foreign country to suit a boyfriend at such a young age?

This is not what you are going to want to hear but the chances are extremely high that, getting together at such a young age, you are going to break up over the next few years. Why don't you instead continue to develop your own life, education, skills and career for a while in your home country, learn some German and see if this relationship works out over the next couple of years as long distance, and then consider moving to continue your studies in Switzerland?

Otherwise, you are putting yourself at a serious detriment (developmentally speaking), in one of the most important stages of your life, for a guy who you are likely not going to be with in a few years. Unless your situation in Sweden is so bad with your life and family that you have to leave (in which case this changes the above sentiments somewhat) then it's a very disproportionate sacrifice and I cannot see it ending very well for you.

It would be far easier for bot of you, logistically speaking, for your Swiss boyfriend to go to Sweden... is it something you have also discussed with him?

Last edited by Chuff; 06.01.2020 at 12:39. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 06.01.2020, 11:47
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 14,087
Groaned at 132 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 26,973 Times in 10,328 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
I am not trying to patronise you but you are only 18 years old, barely past childhood and at the age where most people start studying further education... why are you looking to move your life over to a foreign country to suit a boyfriend at such a young age?

This is not what you are going to want to hear but the chances are extremely high that, getting together at such a young age, you are going to break up over the next few years. Why don't you instead continue to develop your own life, education, skills and career for a while in your home country, learn some German and see if this relationship works out over the next couple of years as long distance, and then consider moving to continue your studies in Switzerland?

Otherwise, you are putting yourself at a serious detriment (developmentally speaking), in one of the most important stages of your life, for a guy who you are likely not going to be with in a few years. Unless your situation in Sweden is so bad with your life and family that you have to leave then it's a very disproportionate sacrifice and I cannot see it ending very well for you.

It would be far easier for your Swiss boyfriend to go to Sweden... but I am guessing he won't want to do that.
Or maybe it will end in a lifelong marriage with kids and grandkids. Not sure we are in a position to judge - who didn't take a risk at some point in their life? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I moved here to be with a boyfriend at a time when it wasn't all lovely EU bilaterals and FMOP which make it much easier today. I didn't speak German, had no contacts and was only a wee, wet behind the ears girlie at the time.

Worked out for me because I did more growing up in the first 6 months than I'd done in my life, hard work, luck and persistence.
Reply With Quote
The following 14 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 06.01.2020, 11:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Sweden
Posts: 34
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 18 Posts
beingwithyou is considered knowledgeablebeingwithyou is considered knowledgeablebeingwithyou is considered knowledgeable
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
I am not trying to patronise you but you are only 18 years old, barely past childhood and at the age where most people start studying further education... why are you looking to move your life over to a foreign country to suit a boyfriend at such a young age?

This is not what you are going to want to hear but the chances are extremely high that, getting together at such a young age, you are going to break up over the next few years. Why don't you instead continue to develop your own life, education, skills and career for a while in your home country, learn some German and see if this relationship works out over the next couple of years as long distance, and then consider moving to continue your studies in Switzerland?

Otherwise, you are putting yourself at a serious detriment (developmentally speaking), in one of the most important stages of your life, for a guy who you are likely not going to be with in a few years. Unless your situation in Sweden is so bad with your life and family that you have to leave then it's a very disproportionate sacrifice and I cannot see it ending very well for you.

It would be far easier for bot of you, logistically speaking, for your Swiss boyfriend to go to Sweden... is it something you have also discussed with him?
Well without including too many personal details about myself, I don't have a future here in Sweden so to speak. Or I don't see myself having one. Past traumas, no social life, bad memories and so on. There's a lot of factors that I can't really mention without disclosing a lot of personal information. All I know is that the stable-long-term approach would be beneficial to both of us, it's the smart thing to do but it's still a period of 5 years. That's a long time and I'm not willing to spend the next 5 years in a LDR therefore the plan to move.

I appreciate your honesty about the whole thing but I really do believe in this relationship and I'm even willing to bet 100 bucks that I'll be with this man in 5 years. Unless you're not willing

I have entertained the thought of him coming over here to study but... eh. I think he would be better off studying in his own country, going to a renowned school and actually making it in the country he's planning to spend his life in. I wouldn't wanna take that away from him, neither do I see myself spending another 3-5 years in this goddamn country.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank beingwithyou for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 06.01.2020, 11:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Sweden
Posts: 34
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 18 Posts
beingwithyou is considered knowledgeablebeingwithyou is considered knowledgeablebeingwithyou is considered knowledgeable
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
Or maybe it will end in a lifelong marriage with kids and grandkids. Not sure we are in a position to judge - who didn't take a risk at some point in their life? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I moved here to be with a boyfriend at a time when it wasn't all lovely EU bilaterals and FMOP which make it much easier today. I didn't speak German, had no contacts and was only a wee, wet behind the ears girlie at the time.

Worked out for me because I did more growing up in the first 6 months than I'd done in my life, hard work, luck and persistence.
Thank you!!! you have no clue how much these kind words mean to me, I've been met with so much resistance on these forums that it's making it hard for me to stay optimistic.

How did you manage? Did you just go out looking for jobs here and there or...? any tips!?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06.01.2020, 12:04
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 14,087
Groaned at 132 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 26,973 Times in 10,328 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
Thank you!!! you have no clue how much these kind words mean to me, I've been met with so much resistance on these forums that it's making it hard for me to stay optimistic.

How did you manage? Did you just go out looking for jobs here and there or...? any tips!?
Basically just that. First task was to get up to speed in German so did loads of intensive courses then applied for a gazillion jobs just to get on the ladder. I also registered with loads of recruiters but they were less than useless but at least gave some tips on CV format and they sent me for a few interviews which gave me a bit more interview practice.

Get a network - use your boyfriend a bit and get him onside for lots of meet ups. Use the forum meet ups, etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 06.01.2020, 12:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,945
Groaned at 715 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 15,979 Times in 6,286 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
Well without including too many personal details about myself, I don't have a future here in Sweden so to speak. Or I don't see myself having one. Past traumas, no social life, bad memories and so on. There's a lot of factors that I can't really mention without disclosing a lot of personal information. All I know is that the stable-long-term approach would be beneficial to both of us, it's the smart thing to do but it's still a period of 5 years. That's a long time and I'm not willing to spend the next 5 years in a LDR therefore the plan to move.

I appreciate your honesty about the whole thing but I really do believe in this relationship and I'm even willing to bet 100 bucks that I'll be with this man in 5 years. Unless you're not willing

I have entertained the thought of him coming over here to study but... eh. I think he would be better off studying in his own country, going to a renowned school and actually making it in the country he's planning to spend his life in. I wouldn't wanna take that away from him, neither do I see myself spending another 3-5 years in this goddamn country.
Ok fair enough, it sounds like against all expectations it's not a spur of the moment decision by a loved-up teen and you really do want to get out of there. In that case, if you do not plan to go into further education then your most feasible option to start with without a degree or language skills is indeed something like nannying/au pair work, although prepare as standard to be very underpaid with long hours and many unreasonable demands.

As for the 'bet about you being together in 5 years', I will save your money and just say that the odds are very, very much against you. I do however wish you the best of luck.

Quote:
View Post
Or maybe it will end in a lifelong marriage with kids and grandkids. Not sure we are in a position to judge - who didn't take a risk at some point in their life? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I moved here to be with a boyfriend at a time when it wasn't all lovely EU bilaterals and FMOP which make it much easier today. I didn't speak German, had no contacts and was only a wee, wet behind the ears girlie at the time.

Worked out for me because I did more growing up in the first 6 months than I'd done in my life, hard work, luck and persistence.
I generally don't care about subjective romanticized anecdotes from years gone by when giving an opinion, only what I consider as realistic perspectives in our modern society.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 06.01.2020, 12:36
venetian's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Zuerich
Posts: 231
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 226 Times in 110 Posts
venetian is considered knowledgeablevenetian is considered knowledgeablevenetian is considered knowledgeable
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
Ah, I see. I don't think the canton my boyfriend lives in permits a concubine permit
It's not necessarily related to concubinate. You can enter and stay in Switzerland if
1. you are Swiss
2. you have a job in CH (landing a job always gives you *some* permit)
3. you can demonstrate to have enough money to sustain yourself in CH, or that someone (anyone) is able and willing to sign that he/she will do that for you
Every other way is just temporary and non-renewable (e.g. tourist visas or EU right of visit), usually 90 days or less.

Quote:
Wait what? Why is it not allowed? I've read about it on here and thought it was an option? Why would it not be?
See above. From a legal point of view, you can't just come here and look for a life. It works like the US, to some extent.
I came because I got a job offer. My girlfriend was only allowed to stay 90 days in a year or something like that, until a friend of ours got her a job offer. Of course in those 90 days she was applying for jobs, but usually you need some residence permit to even be considered.

Basically, you need a permit to get a job, and you need a job to get a permit. I know it sounds crazy, the way it usually works is that you start with some people network and a visitor permit, then someone from your networks gives you a job together with a longer residence permit. If you come without a network to use you won't be able to get a job quickly, your temporary right to stay will expire and you'll become illegal, which is ...unpractical.

So, short story: you can move to CH if you know the rules, you plan it and you have some resources. If you just come and try, it'll be a mess.

Please study these official sources to have an overview of your options:
https://www.ch.ch/en/retirement-or-study-switzerland/
https://www.ch.ch/en/entry-stay-switzerland/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06.01.2020, 12:43
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 14,087
Groaned at 132 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 26,973 Times in 10,328 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
I generally don't care about subjective romanticized anecdotes from years gone by when giving an opinion, only what I consider as realistic perspectives in our modern society.
Why is your perspective any more realistic or valid than mine?

You don't know anything about the OP apart from what she's chosen to share yet you chose to predict a scenario based on your own opinion, which is fair enough, but doesn't mean you are any more correct than I am.

Christonabike - I just shared my own experience with her.

Not sure what you are seeing as "romanticized" either. It was hard graft and perseverance, as I pointed out in my post. I was illustrating that she can't piss about and hope to come up trumps with a life here handed to her on a plate, which I assume she is fully aware of.

I also pointed out that it's a risk but if people just stayed in their sheltered little lives with the attitude that "oh it won't work for me" then it probably won't.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 06.01.2020, 12:48
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 3,961
Groaned at 69 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 7,066 Times in 2,847 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post

As for the 'bet about you being together in 5 years', I will save your money and just say that the odds are very, very much against you. I do however wish you the best of luck.



I generally don't care about subjective romanticized anecdotes from years gone by when giving an opinion, only what I consider as realistic perspectives in our modern society.
Why? Anecdote alert, I was living with my OH 8 months after meeting him.
Why is your perspective realistic but others' are not?
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 06.01.2020, 12:49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: zh
Posts: 263
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 270 Times in 109 Posts
Where2 has an excellent reputationWhere2 has an excellent reputationWhere2 has an excellent reputationWhere2 has an excellent reputation
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

What would you like to do/study? There are certainly options for studying, and if you take them you will build a network and learn the language. If you take a low paid job, you will have problems learning the language in addition to working, and miss the chance to be with other people your age who are building their lives too. The student community is very international these days and would be a lot more fun than cleaning or being a nanny.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Where2 for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 06.01.2020, 12:50
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,648
Groaned at 154 Times in 136 Posts
Thanked 6,810 Times in 2,925 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

OP, there is a large and helpful Scandinavian Society in Zurich (I guess countrywide?) - maybe introduce yourself to them and they may be able to help you re language classes and jobs - failing that, it would at least give you a social circle in your own language to begin with.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 06.01.2020, 13:00
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 113
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 118 Times in 65 Posts
Axa is considered knowledgeableAxa is considered knowledgeableAxa is considered knowledgeable
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
Hi! I am a 18 year old girl currently studying online for a gymnasium exam in Sweden. I'm in a relationship with my current boyfriend who is swiss and resides there. I want to move over but for that I need a job!

I've looked around the forums and I've read plenty of threads but the one's I've found are either no german-language skills with a good education or a good education with no german-language skills. I'm lacking in both. I plan on picking up german and studying it as soon as I move to Switzerland.

Now, as I've looked around most threads are dated 2012-2015, I'm guessing things have changed on the market somehow and I'm wondering how hard it would be for me to find a job or something that would allow me to atleast obtain a residence permit + independence of welfare.
So far I've come to the conclusion that possible jobs are: cleaning, nannying & live-out au-pair since my boyfriend owns an apartment. Another possibility is an internship in an english nursery home but I have absolutely no clue if you need any experience with that and where to even begin looking! Would it even pay? Would I be able to sustain myself?

Would love for someone to help me out, sum up some websites (most I've come accross are for jobs that need BA/MA's and that's just not something I'm able to work with at the moment. )

Any help would be appreciated. (Summing up websites, where to look, what to do, how would I go around everything. Etc!)

Hello,



Happy new year!

Studying? Since you come from an EU country, you get a residence permit if you manage to get accepted into a Swiss university. But the admission to the first semester of bachelors usually requires C1 level in German, Italian or French. Some universities are flexible enough to let you answer exams and submit homework in English but all the courses, reading material and/or videos are in German.

The good thing is that the languages requirements relax once Bachelors students advance because they're supposed to get proficient in English by the end of their studies to the point where most Masters are in English. Without knowing German, it would be a lot easier to study 1 or 2 semesters of University in Sweden and then move here. These are the language of instruction rules for Zürich ETH, the challenge is the 1st year https://ethz.ch/content/dam/ethz/com...nstruction.pdf

The money part is a bit more complicate. As student you may work up to 15 hours per week during the "semester" (courses) and only full time during vacations. 15 hours a week may yield around 2000 CHF per month in job such as cleaning or nannying. Being able to sustain yourself independently on this income is quite a challenge, borderline poverty.

The good news if that if you have experience working with kids, Switzerland is good for summer camp jobs which are full time. The downside is working during vacations...but at least it will be a nice location on the mountains.

You're right, most internships are for BA/MA level. But..I work for a Swedish company with around 1000 employees in several offices around Switzerland. Here in the office, there's a teenager in charge of mail and helping the admin assistant. He has no studies beyond secondary school. You lose nothing by asking and playing the I'm Swedish card https://www.afconsult.com/en/join-us/

Well guys...it's another culture. In Sweden 18 years old and up are expected to pay for things themselves including studies. Work colleagues from up there have told me that the typical path is to get an student loan to pay for apartment and food while studying. They leave no matter if the family situation is "perfect".
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 06.01.2020, 13:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,784
Groaned at 52 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 7,807 Times in 3,263 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
OP, there is a large and helpful Scandinavian Society in Zurich (I guess countrywide?) - maybe introduce yourself to them and they may be able to help you re language classes and jobs - failing that, it would at least give you a social circle in your own language to begin with.
Here are some links:

https://nordiska.ch/

http://www.migrantenvereine.ch/norgesklubben-sveits

http://www.migrantenvereine.ch/nordi...pe-zuerich-nvz

http://sweteach.com/de_lankar.htm

http://www.svenskaklubbenbasel.ch/
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 06.01.2020, 13:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,784
Groaned at 52 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 7,807 Times in 3,263 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
Would love for someone to help me out, sum up some websites (most I've come accross are for jobs that need BA/MA's and that's just not something I'm able to work with at the moment. )

Any help would be appreciated. (Summing up websites, where to look, what to do, how would I go around everything. Etc!)
This is the best bumper-thread on this forum, as far as I know, about how to find work without qualifications, with many different perspectives:
https://www.englishforum.ch/employme...fications.html

There's also this, about getting a job at McDonalds without much German:
https://www.englishforum.ch/employme...ch-german.html
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06.01.2020, 13:47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 259
Groaned at 65 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 314 Times in 134 Posts
Susie-Q is considered knowledgeableSusie-Q is considered knowledgeableSusie-Q is considered knowledgeable
Re: Employment with no degree & no german speaking skills.

Quote:
View Post
Now, as I've looked around most threads are dated 2012-2015, I'm guessing things have changed on the market somehow and I'm wondering how hard it would be for me to find a job or something that would allow me to atleast obtain a residence permit + independence of welfare.
Hello,

Its actually gotten much more difficult since 2015 and is only becoming more so. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

You need experience in one industry in order to get a job here without education or German skills. Irish pubs would hire an English speaking person, but they usually want 2-3 years of pub experience. Parents usually want au-pairs that have experience, wouldn't you?

A Swedish based education company also has headquarters here in Switzerland. I do know they have a placement program for au pairs - check it out, maybe they can help: https://www.efswiss.ch/de/nach-der-m...sjahr/au-pair/

I wish you the best of luck. I've been there at your age - desperately in love, without hope of my current place and situation. You will get there, it just takes a lot of hard work and effort...plus the willingness to step outside your comfort zone.

Nothing is impossible!

All the best!

Last edited by Susie-Q; 06.01.2020 at 13:57.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English Speaking Employment law assistance codeshockwave Employment 12 28.01.2014 20:40
Enough English speaking guests to justify Employment for English speaking Hotelier? Me Myself & I Employment 17 04.12.2012 11:43
English Speaking Media Employment joebaur42 Employment 5 30.07.2012 15:14
English speaking training courses Employment Help PatMc Commercial 0 11.03.2012 19:16
Employment search...English speaking Babe Introductions 16 29.09.2010 13:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0