Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.03.2020, 18:28
jncunha's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Aesch ZH
Posts: 44
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
jncunha has no particular reputation at present
Finding job for a recent PhD

Hi,

My girlfriend finished her PhD in Portugal in September. She is moving with me to Zürich in May where my company offered me a position. She is also searching for a job but it doesn't seem easy to find one. Basically every job post ask for some years of experience.

She has a PhD in chemical and biological engineering. Her specialty is related to solar energy (perovskite solar cells). She has already sent some applications but got some rejects and the others didn't give her any kind of answer (so far...).

She is also trying to apply for some post-doc in ETH or PSI.

Are there any strong companies in renewable energy in or close to Zürich, Aarau, Baden, etc? Even if they don't have open positions she could always make a spontaneous application.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jncunha for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 08.03.2020, 19:19
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 3,659
Groaned at 144 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 6,699 Times in 2,622 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

I use to work for a Mathematics professor in Zurich who also runs/owns an online job board for people who are seeking jobs in the areas of math and science, etc. Many, if not most, jobs available in those fields in Switzerland are included on the site. It includes academic positions as well as jobs in the industry. In the drop-down menu, you can filter for jobs in "engineering" or "chemistry." Here is a link:

https://www.acad.jobs/

Good luck to your girlfriend... Hope she can find something.

Last edited by Pancakes; 08.03.2020 at 21:49.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 08.03.2020, 19:48
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,360
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,155 Times in 9,179 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

Realise that it's not easy for your girlfriend to move here, even though she's an EU national.

As such she can come here for up to 3 months as a tourist to look for work. If she doesn't find a job in that timeframe she can apply for a job seeker L permit providing she has sufficient funds to support herself. If she doesn't find a job after the second 3 months then she's expected to leave the country.

Alternatively, you could apply for a concubine permit for her. This is for unmarried hetreosexual couples and to get it part of the conditions is that you agree to be financially responsible for her for 5 years. She would be able to work with this permit since she's an EU national.

The problem with job hunting here atm is the emphasis is on hiring people who already have a permit to live here. Not having this puts her further down the list of people employers will be looking at when it comes to hiring.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 08.03.2020, 20:05
jncunha's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Aesch ZH
Posts: 44
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
jncunha has no particular reputation at present
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

Quote:
View Post
I use to work for a Mathematics professor in Zurich who also runs/owns an online job board for people who are seeking jobs in the areas of math and science, etc. Many, if not most, jobs available in those fields in Switzerland are included on the site. It includes academic positions as well as industrial jobs. In the drop-down menu, you can filter for jobs in "engineering" or "chemistry." Here is a link:

https://www.acad.jobs/

Good luck to your girlfriend... Hope she can find something.
Thank you for the website! We will check it tonight.


Quote:
View Post
Realise that it's not easy for your girlfriend to move here, even though she's an EU national.

As such she can come here for up to 3 months as a tourist to look for work. If she doesn't find a job in that timeframe she can apply for a job seeker L permit providing she has sufficient funds to support herself. If she doesn't find a job after the second 3 months then she's expected to leave the country.

Alternatively, you could apply for a concubine permit for her. This is for unmarried hetreosexual couples and to get it part of the conditions is that you agree to be financially responsible for her for 5 years. She would be able to work with this permit since she's an EU national.

The problem with job hunting here atm is the emphasis is on hiring people who already have a permit to live here. Not having this puts her further down the list of people employers will be looking at when it comes to hiring.
We are planing on getting married before moving to Switzerland. I believe that this way she can stay indefinitely since she is married to me and I have a B permit right?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jncunha for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 08.03.2020, 20:16
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,360
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,155 Times in 9,179 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

If you're married, then yes.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 08.03.2020, 20:30
jncunha's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Aesch ZH
Posts: 44
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
jncunha has no particular reputation at present
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

Quote:
View Post
If you're married, then yes.
Sorry I forgot to mention that on the first post . We are getting married to remove the stress out of her to find a job in a time frame. This way she can keep searching without stressing too much. My salary is enough to provide a comfortable life for 2. If she gets a job we will be even better.

Do you think that as soon as we are registered in Switzerland with a permit it will be easier for her to find a job?

Since she has been doing academic research for the past years we are aiming for those positions first due to her experience.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08.03.2020, 20:42
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,360
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,155 Times in 9,179 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

It will help a bit because of the emphasis on hiring people who have a permit. The rest will depend on her quaifications and experience.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 08.03.2020, 23:08
Murloc's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 339
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 312 Times in 172 Posts
Murloc is considered knowledgeableMurloc is considered knowledgeableMurloc is considered knowledgeable
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

Quote:
View Post
Sorry I forgot to mention that on the first post . We are getting married to remove the stress out of her to find a job in a time frame. This way she can keep searching without stressing too much. My salary is enough to provide a comfortable life for 2. If she gets a job we will be even better.

Do you think that as soon as we are registered in Switzerland with a permit it will be easier for her to find a job?

Since she has been doing academic research for the past years we are aiming for those positions first due to her experience.
it will help because there is no bureaucratic hurdle anymore, and she might have access to unemployment services. I don't think it will be easy to find a relevant job quick, it might take many months, so it's good if you have a flexible outlook.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Murloc for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 08.03.2020, 23:12
jncunha's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Aesch ZH
Posts: 44
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
jncunha has no particular reputation at present
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

Quote:
View Post
It will help a bit because of the emphasis on hiring people who have a permit. The rest will depend on her quaifications and experience.
Quote:
View Post
it will help because there is no bureaucratic hurdle anymore, and she might have access to unemployment services. I don't think it will be easy to find a relevant job quick, it might take many months, so it's good if you have a flexible outlook.
Makes sense! Maybe we are just spoiling job oportunities for not having settled yet in CH .
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09.03.2020, 10:06
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 1,145
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,493 Times in 703 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

Well, there's this place where they do talk about solar cells and such. Remember the solar plane? Albeit, it's part of EPFL but it is in Neuchâtel.

https://sti.epfl.ch/research/institutes/imt/

Remain flexible, research jobs are anyway partial time (70-80%) and if home office is possible, it's feasible to work on the other side of Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 09.03.2020, 12:02
jncunha's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Aesch ZH
Posts: 44
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
jncunha has no particular reputation at present
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

Quote:
View Post
Well, there's this place where they do talk about solar cells and such. Remember the solar plane? Albeit, it's part of EPFL but it is in Neuchâtel.

https://sti.epfl.ch/research/institutes/imt/

Remain flexible, research jobs are anyway partial time (70-80%) and if home office is possible, it's feasible to work on the other side of Switzerland.
She did part of her PhD at EPFL in Lausanne. She makes a reference to that in her presentation letter and that she is also moving permanently to Zürich in May with me (honestly I don't know if any recruiter is reading her presentation letter ).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09.03.2020, 15:37
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 1,145
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,493 Times in 703 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

So you know how CH works There's this job fair on 3 weeks at ETH. I found my job on 2017 there https://www.polymesse.ch/en/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 09.03.2020, 16:18
jncunha's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Aesch ZH
Posts: 44
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
jncunha has no particular reputation at present
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

Quote:
View Post
So you know how CH works There's this job fair on 3 weeks at ETH. I found my job on 2017 there https://www.polymesse.ch/en/
Polymesse 31. March & 01./02. April 2020
We regret to inform you that Polymesse as well as Polyvorträge (presentations) cannot take place due to the current coronavirus crisis situation.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09.03.2020, 17:52
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 1,145
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,493 Times in 703 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

haha, come on, it was 1 click to get to this link the virtual version of the job fair https://www.polyefair.ch/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 09.03.2020, 18:05
jncunha's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Aesch ZH
Posts: 44
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
jncunha has no particular reputation at present
Re: Finding job for a recent PhD

Quote:
View Post
haha, come on, it was 1 click to get to this link the virtual version of the job fair https://www.polyefair.ch/
Virtual version. That's nice . I'll take a look with her. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finding a job in Finance as a recent graduate Goldstein Employment 34 27.06.2019 08:02
Finding and signing for one place, but then finding a better? EmpressJo Housing in general 5 16.07.2015 10:13
Finding an apartment is more difficult than finding a job! (Lausanne/Switzerland) pk86 Housing in general 10 10.10.2013 22:00
Recent bannings. saharanz General off-topic 279 15.10.2008 17:05
Recent buyer Salty Other/general 1 18.04.2008 15:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0