Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.03.2020, 16:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 2 Posts
MapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeableMapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeableMapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeable
Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

... then if I get a new job, can I simply hand in my notice and start a new job at the end of the notice period?

Any help would be really appreciated.
thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.03.2020, 16:54
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is online now
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,222
Groaned at 216 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 1,186 Times in 574 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
... then if I get a new job, can I simply hand in my notice and start a new job at the end of the notice period?

Any help would be really appreciated.
thanks
Searching for new work will automatically mean that you are fit for working
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
This user groans at V__ for this post:
  #3  
Old 23.03.2020, 17:02
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 2 Posts
MapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeableMapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeableMapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Thanks for the reply. Without going into full detail, I-m signed off for stress due to bullying in the workplace and despite various reports, my employer isn-t doing anything about it. I have tried to discuss moving internally.. but they don't like this option. The stress is crippling me, hence my doctor signed me off and told me to find another job. I just need to know legally can I accept another position? What are my rights etc. I am still 'sick', though a new job will obviously change this situation and hopefully take away this stress. That should make it clearer.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.03.2020, 17:40
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,411
Groaned at 191 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 17,929 Times in 7,295 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

V___'s opinion is somewhat testicular in this instance, I think. He appears to have a tendency (inadvertent I'm sure) to cause distress to people.

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the reply. Without going into full detail, I-m signed off for stress due to bullying in the workplace and despite various reports, my employer isn-t doing anything about it. I have tried to discuss moving internally.. but they don't like this option. The stress is crippling me, hence my doctor signed me off and told me to find another job. I just need to know legally can I accept another position? What are my rights etc. I am still 'sick', though a new job will obviously change this situation and hopefully take away this stress. That should make it clearer.
In my opinion you can. You are sick because of stress caused by your current work situation. Your new work situation will alleviate that and you'll no longer be sick. While I'm not a legal professional, I have worked as a manager of people in Switzerland and have some understanding of how things work.

If you want absolute surety, you could have a quick chat with a lawyer.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 23.03.2020, 17:45
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is online now
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,222
Groaned at 216 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 1,186 Times in 574 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
V___'s opinion is somewhat testicular in this instance, I think. He appears to have a tendency (inadvertent I'm sure) to cause distress to people.



In my opinion you can. You are sick because of stress caused by your current work situation. Your new work situation will alleviate that and you'll no longer be sick. While I'm not a legal professional, I have worked as a manager of people in Switzerland and have some understanding of how things work.

If you want absolute surety, you could have a quick chat with a lawyer.
She can, but it will invalidate her sick certificate. The moment her employer finds out she is searching for work their insurance will stop paying her as she is no longer unfit for work
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
This user groans at V__ for this post:
  #6  
Old 23.03.2020, 17:53
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 2 Posts
MapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeableMapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeableMapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
V___'s opinion is somewhat testicular in this instance, I think. He appears to have a tendency (inadvertent I'm sure) to cause distress to people.



In my opinion you can. You are sick because of stress caused by your current work situation. Your new work situation will alleviate that and you'll no longer be sick. While I'm not a legal professional, I have worked as a manager of people in Switzerland and have some understanding of how things work.

If you want absolute surety, you could have a quick chat with a lawyer.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I have scheduled a call with a lawyer for tomorrow.
I've only been off a few weeks and I am being very proactive about trying to find ways to make myself 'better' and also taking counselling, so it-s not like i'm trying to rinse my employer for time off.
Thanks so much again
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23.03.2020, 18:06
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,253
Groaned at 346 Times in 288 Posts
Thanked 12,101 Times in 5,858 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Anyway, good luck to you! Hope it all works out soon.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 23.03.2020, 18:09
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 2 Posts
MapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeableMapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeableMapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
Anyway, good luck to you! Hope it all works out soon.
thanks so much
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23.03.2020, 18:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
Searching for new work will automatically mean that you are fit for working

I would argue that there is a distinction between checking the marketplace for other employment which would be of benefit to your health and actually being fit enough to work an 8 hour day right now. I doubt people are interviewing now unless an essential job and all you are doing is updating your C.V, checking and apply for potential jobs online and over the phone.



But I don't have knowledge of Swiss employment law so best to check with someone who does. Good luck
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 23.03.2020, 18:39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 2 Posts
MapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeableMapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeableMapleLeaf77 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
I would argue that there is a distinction between checking the marketplace for other employment which would be of benefit to your health and actually being fit enough to work an 8 hour day right now. I doubt people are interviewing now unless an essential job and all you are doing is updating your C.V, checking and apply for potential jobs online and over the phone.



But I don't have knowledge of Swiss employment law so best to check with someone who does. Good luck
Thank you. You've all really helped me. It's been a pretty dark hole as you can imagine and hard to find out answers. But hopefully the lawyer will give me the lowdown tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MapleLeaf77 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 23.03.2020, 19:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 20
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 12 Posts
IcePanda has no particular reputation at present
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Be well, and best of luck in your new job search!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank IcePanda for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 23.03.2020, 19:30
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,411
Groaned at 191 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 17,929 Times in 7,295 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
She can, but it will invalidate her sick certificate. The moment her employer finds out she is searching for work their insurance will stop paying her as she is no longer unfit for work
Got anything to back that up?

Aw, bless. You've given me tit-for-tat red blobs. Just as I expected. And your comment reflects the value of most of your postings. Well done! I'm sure you feel proud.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 23.03.2020, 22:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
She can, but it will invalidate her sick certificate. The moment her employer finds out she is searching for work their insurance will stop paying her as she is no longer unfit for work
What happens if you say have a physical occupation (e.g. a builder) and you've broken both your legs. Surely going on the internet on your sickbed doesn't make you fit for work.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #14  
Old 23.03.2020, 22:40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Geneva
Posts: 38
Groaned at 20 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Lapithos is considered a nuisanceLapithos is considered a nuisanceLapithos is considered a nuisance
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
... then if I get a new job, can I simply hand in my notice and start a new job at the end of the notice period?

Any help would be really appreciated.
thanks
Of course you can search for a new job. By all means.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lapithos for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 23.03.2020, 22:40
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is online now
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,222
Groaned at 216 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 1,186 Times in 574 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
What happens if you say have a physical occupation (e.g. a builder) and you've broken both your legs. Surely going on the internet on your sickbed doesn't make you fit for work.
So a builder with 2 broken legs goes to a job interview...

Do you think before writing or you are starting a joke?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at V__ for this post:
  #16  
Old 23.03.2020, 22:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Geneva
Posts: 38
Groaned at 20 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Lapithos is considered a nuisanceLapithos is considered a nuisanceLapithos is considered a nuisance
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
She can, but it will invalidate her sick certificate. The moment her employer finds out she is searching for work their insurance will stop paying her as she is no longer unfit for work
This is science fiction, sorry.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Lapithos for this useful post:
This user groans at Lapithos for this post:
  #17  
Old 23.03.2020, 22:42
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,411
Groaned at 191 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 17,929 Times in 7,295 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
This is science fiction, sorry.
No it's not. Good science fiction has a consistent, coherent story. This is just plain fantasy - and not that well written.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 23.03.2020, 22:43
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is online now
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,222
Groaned at 216 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 1,186 Times in 574 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
This is science fiction, sorry.
OK, it is
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 23.03.2020, 22:44
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,609
Groaned at 77 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 17,469 Times in 7,861 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Quote:
View Post
What happens if you say have a physical occupation (e.g. a builder) and you've broken both your legs. Surely going on the internet on your sickbed doesn't make you fit for work.
Not really. Apples and oranges. I do think it could be a slippery slope to claim you're too ill to work but at the same time you're well enough to go to job interviews and job hunt. I don't know if it's against any rules but it probably would not help or improve the mobbing situation if the current employer finds out.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 23.03.2020, 22:45
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is online now
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,222
Groaned at 216 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 1,186 Times in 574 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Signed off sick for stress, can I legally look for new job?

Why the original question and context of the situation has been altered?

My response was exactly given to the circumstances described which no longer exist in the original post?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Signed off sick during Notice Period kifissiacat Employment 55 14.06.2016 11:40
Suffering from asthma and severe stress - should I get signed off work Englishleeds Family matters/health 32 28.10.2014 20:15
Cancel a contract just signed arwenika Housing in general 4 24.10.2011 14:21
Work Stress - signed off indefinately telandy Employment 14 22.01.2010 10:10
just signed in... Steganos Introductions 3 19.07.2006 12:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0