Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.04.2020, 16:17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Morais has no particular reputation at present
Compensation from government/employer due to Covid-19 situation

Hey guys, please help me figure out how I can get some money/compensation from government due to the current Corona situation. In the beginning of January I officially got a job (100% contract paid by hour) and presented myself to the Gemind (and got B-permit). However, in practice my job was paid depending on hours worked (cleaning the exhibition center - MESSi Zurich). I have then received salary for 1 month in the end of January. Later (already in February) the company I worked for, shut down (the exhibition building has closed due to the Corona) and I have 0 working hours at the moment (for obvious reasons). My question is, how am I supposed to cover my expenses now? The bill for medical insurance has just arrived 😅 Please share your experience if anybody is in the similar situation.

P.s. I am still hired, we just have no work to do. I donīt intend to ask money to RAV

Thank you !!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.04.2020, 16:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Compensation from government/employer due to Covid-19 situation

If you are on-call and also have no rights as for RAV than the bad news for you afaik is that you'll miss out on any financial help currently existing.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 07.04.2020, 16:50
Mullhollander's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,589
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,637 Times in 1,594 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Compensation from government/employer due to Covid-19 situation

This thread discussed the on-call employee situation regarding financial support resulting from the c-virus crisis:

https://www.englishforum.ch/employme...auf-abruf.html

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 07.04.2020, 18:40
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Morais has no particular reputation at present
Re: Compensation from government/employer due to Covid-19 situation

@Mullhollander thank you for the answer,

Allow me to to try explain a bit more about my " On Call " contract, i believe that my situation is different form the link that you provide

[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.04.2020, 18:49
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,077
Groaned at 366 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 13,937 Times in 6,500 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Compensation from government/employer due to Covid-19 situation

Quote:
View Post
@Mullhollander thank you for the answer,

Allow me to to try explain a bit more about my " On Call " contract, i believe that my situation is different form the link that you provide

[IMG][/IMG]
What exactly does your work contract say? This seems like a confirmation to the authorities?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 07.04.2020, 18:56
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,603
Groaned at 2,354 Times in 1,712 Posts
Thanked 38,409 Times in 18,124 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Compensation from government/employer due to Covid-19 situation

Ask your employer.

The government will give nothing directly to you.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.04.2020, 19:42
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Morais has no particular reputation at present
Re: Compensation from government/employer due to Covid-19 situation

Quote:
View Post
What exactly does your work contract say? This seems like a confirmation to the authorities?
Exactly that was a confirmation to the authorities.
The contract that i have is fixed hours ( 40 / week), payed by hour.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.04.2020, 19:45
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,077
Groaned at 366 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 13,937 Times in 6,500 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Compensation from government/employer due to Covid-19 situation

Quote:
View Post
Exactly that was a confirmation to the authorities.
The contract that i have is fixed hours ( 40 / week), payed by hour.
What was the wording in your contract? Surely there must have been more than that as you are paid by hours and not a fixed salary
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 07.04.2020, 19:45
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,603
Groaned at 2,354 Times in 1,712 Posts
Thanked 38,409 Times in 18,124 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Compensation from government/employer due to Covid-19 situation

Again, ASK YOUR EMPLOYER!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07.04.2020, 19:48
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NL, UK & sometimes ZH
Posts: 6,369
Groaned at 38 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 17,381 Times in 4,467 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Compensation from government/employer due to Covid-19 situation

I'm employing people here (part time) and am currently applying for "Kurtzarbeit" help for them. The government will pay them (through me) 80% of what hours they are working now under their average hours per month for the last year.

I would guess your employer should be able to get 80% of your salary paid by the government for what you did in January. But you need to ask them to look into it for you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 07.04.2020, 19:57
Mullhollander's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,589
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,637 Times in 1,594 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Compensation from government/employer due to Covid-19 situation

From what I understand, you are an hourly employee who is not receiving work due to the c-virus situation. There are several possibilities:

1. Short-time work (Kurzarbeit): your employer could apply for short-time work support. This would allow him to pay the company's employees up to 80% of their previous wages. The employer would need to do this.

Note that short-term work does not currently apply to on-call employees or to employees whose hours vary by more than 20% from the average.

According to the NZZ newspaper on 23 March, the Swiss government was searching for a solution to support on-call employees but I have not seen any concrete actions.

2. Look for a new job: surprisingly, some companies are hiring. This link is to an extensive list of internet job sites:

https://www.ag.ch/media/kanton_aarga...lenboersen.pdf

- If you were to find a new job, you would need to resign from your current position.

3. Termination of your work contract: your employer or you could terminate your work contract. If this occurs, it could be possible to apply for RAV Swiss unemployment compensation using your work inside and outside of Switzerland in the last 24 months for eligibility. Generally, you need to have worked at least 12 months in the past 24 months.

- Normally, it is not advisable to quit a job as there can be penalty days of 30 to 60 work-days before becoming eligible for unemployment compensation plus wait-days, as applicable.

- If the employer terminates you, it is normally advisable to register with RAV.

For more information on RAV, see this link with brochures in multiple languages:

https://www.sg.ch/wirtschaft-arbeit/...en-muesse.html

4. Social welfare: it could be possible to register for social welfare although this normally should be avoided as it can jeopardize your residence permit status.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 07.04.2020, 20:14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Morais has no particular reputation at present
Re: Compensation from government/employer due to Covid-19 situation

Quote:
View Post
From what I understand, you are an hourly employee who is not receiving work due to the c-virus situation. There are several possibilities:

1. Short-time work (Kurzarbeit): your employer could apply for short-time work support. This would allow him to pay the company's employees up to 80% of their previous wages. The employer would need to do this.

Note that short-term work does not currently apply to on-call employees or to employees whose hours vary by more than 20% from the average.

According to the NZZ newspaper on 23 March, the Swiss government was searching for a solution to support on-call employees but I have not seen any concrete actions.

2. Look for a new job: surprisingly, some companies are hiring. This link is to an extensive list of internet job sites:

https://www.ag.ch/media/kanton_aarga...lenboersen.pdf

- If you were to find a new job, you would need to resign from your current position.

3. Termination of your work contract: your employer or you could terminate your work contract. If this occurs, it could be possible to apply for RAV Swiss unemployment compensation using your work inside and outside of Switzerland in the last 24 months for eligibility. Generally, you need to have worked at least 12 months in the past 24 months.

- Normally, it is not advisable to quit a job as there can be penalty days of 30 to 60 work-days before becoming eligible for unemployment compensation plus wait-days, as applicable.

- If the employer terminates you, it is normally advisable to register with RAV.

For more information on RAV, see this link with brochures in multiple languages:

https://www.sg.ch/wirtschaft-arbeit/...en-muesse.html

4. Social welfare: it could be possible to register for social welfare although this normally should be avoided as it can jeopardize your residence permit status.
Thank you very much for your attention. God Bless you!!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Morais for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Child care in this work from home COVID situation Canadianlaura Family matters/health 13 06.04.2020 17:59
COVID - Government Aid for small businesses FindingMyFeet Employment 20 24.03.2020 11:25
COVID-19 family situation Mr. Happy Family matters/health 14 19.03.2020 09:59
Redundancy compensation if employer folds up ? shazzles Employment 12 22.06.2011 00:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0