English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Employment (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/)
-   -   Android Developer salary (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/297593-android-developer-salary.html)

SleepingPotato 09.04.2020 12:55

Android Developer salary
 
Hello!

I'm an EU Android Developer with 6 years of experience, in my late 20s, BSc degree, with very little German knowledge.
I work in Zurich for a small (<15 employees) company and my current salary is 100K (42h/week).
I received an offer of 115K (42.5h/week) from a larger (~100 employees) and quite popular Swiss company (both are permanent positions in Zurich).

Even after living here for a while, I’m not quite sure what the salaries are for my field and experience. I did a lot of research but the salary ranges are in general very contradictory (I already used the online tools).
I will most likely accept the offer anyway, but I’m wondering if you have any insights to see if/how I should negotiate this offer (I wonder if asking for 120K would be seen as “normal” in terms of market level).

Thanks a lot!

inksane 11.04.2020 20:57

Re: Android Developer salary
 
I'm web backend dev (spring, kubernetes,...) with 3 years of experience, moving to Zürich when the situation resolves and I've gotten offers around 110k-130k.

I'm not sure how is the market of Android development, web dev has a crazy high demand right now so they'll have to pay more.

Anyway no employer is going to turn you away for trying to negotiate, I would ask for 130k.

DunderMifflin 15.04.2020 17:50

Re: Android Developer salary
 
Indeed, given your 6 years experience, 130k seems like a good starting point for a negotiation. You should definitely negotiate in order not to be leaving money on the table.

Treverus 15.04.2020 20:16

Re: Android Developer salary
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DunderMifflin (Post 3171867)
Indeed, given your 6 years experience, 130k seems like a good starting point for a negotiation.

I hate to tell you, but experience is not a linear function. Most employer value the first 3-5 years. After that are you „experienced“ and that’s it. 100k is ok-ish, 115k not a bad deal for a developer without any management function. 130k is something only developed with some unique skills, high in demand skills or project/ product management responsibilities normally get. Banking and insurance sector excluded.

Top tip from a guy who has nearly 20 years experience now: there is a financial crisis coming our way. While there is little job security in CH: don’t just look at the last percent of the offer but rather how stable the job is likely going to be for the coming two years.

DerDieDas 15.04.2020 20:58

Re: Android Developer salary
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepingPotato (Post 3169376)
Hello!


I received an offer of 115K (42.5h/week) from a larger (~100 employees) and quite popular Swiss company (both are permanent positions in Zurich).

If they offered 115K there is no harm in asking for 120K. The might go up to 118K.
Someone said 130K but honestly, I don't know if it is realistic. A couple of years ago, I once asked in an interview for 120K and the guy raised his eyebrows incredulously. This was a large software company (they still asked me back for a 2nd interview which I declined). Around the same time, in another interview with a big bank I asked a for a little over 130K (just because it was a bank I wanted to go higher) and they thought it was too high (they later rejected me saying I was overqualified for the job so maybe 130K was way more than they wanted to pay to get someone to do the rather crappy job).

I don't know where people get these numbers from but I think Treverus is more realistic in saying 130K is not that easy to get.

I also do not understand the discrepancy with cases like this: https://www.englishforum.ch/employme...-thoughts.html. I understand it is a different technology but honestly 45K difference is a lot (He got up to 84K from the initial 70K offer)

Axa 15.04.2020 21:38

Re: Android Developer salary
 
As Treverus said, there's a great difference between 1 and 3 years of experience, but between 5 and 8 is less relevant. At a certain point the responsibilities you are willing to take are more important than technical experience, like managing a project, a 5 people team or the relationship with clients. What are the responsibilities of the position?

DunderMifflin 16.04.2020 13:29

Re: Android Developer salary
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treverus (Post 3171920)
I hate to tell you, but experience is not a linear function. Most employer value the first 3-5 years. After that are you „experienced“ and that’s it. 100k is ok-ish, 115k not a bad deal for a developer without any management function. 130k is something only developed with some unique skills, high in demand skills or project/ product management responsibilities normally get. Banking and insurance sector excluded.

Top tip from a guy who has nearly 20 years experience now: there is a financial crisis coming our way. While there is little job security in CH: don’t just look at the last percent of the offer but rather how stable the job is likely going to be for the coming two years.

Thanks for your reply, some very good points.

nickatbasel 16.04.2020 19:44

Re: Android Developer salary
 
I'd say for a software house that is probably about the right ballpark. If you work in a bank (and they do employ mobile developers) you can expect more.

It still does not hurt to try and negotiate in the upwards direction.

Cherub 17.04.2020 17:29

Re: Android Developer salary
 
Don't know about android, but my OH is a Drupal developer in a bank and on about 139k at the moment. He has a lot of experience in his field and came into software development in his mid 40s after a 20 year career as a factory production manager in the aluminium finishing industry. He's about to turn 60 next month and is heading up a new project.

robBob 18.04.2020 09:18

Re: Android Developer salary
 
FYI!
If necessary, put thru the DeepL translator first:
https://www.onlinepc.ch/business/sch...g-2528465.html

DerDieDas 18.04.2020 13:19

Re: Android Developer salary
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherub (Post 3172606)
Don't know about android, but my OH is a Drupal developer in a bank and on about 139k at the moment. He has a lot of experience in his field and came into software development in his mid 40s after a 20 year career as a factory production manager in the aluminium finishing industry. He's about to turn 60 next month and is heading up a new project.

I would assume there are many more Android Developers than Drupal developers. The bank would probably struggle to find someone who has experience with the technology if your husband left whereas there are many Android developers out there.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:55.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0