Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 15.04.2020, 10:41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 421
Groaned at 88 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 619 Times in 244 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
No-one can force you, Falafel, to do anything. If you can survive without working, of without working full-time, so much the better for you.?
Agreed - but his original post showed a desire not to survive on his own and claim social assistance.

OP, there is no shame in taking a giant step backwards in the pursuit of happiness. There is plenty of work here for English speakers and I’m sure your German will come back quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 15.04.2020, 11:03
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: SA
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Falafel has no particular reputation at present
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Thanks all...

I am more than prepared for a drop in standard of living and have no delusions of grandeur in terms of how we will be living...

Spouse will come with and will be looking for work...

The only reason I am wanting to be self employed is because I know my limitations in terms of being employed... I am not too good at it... at the same time I believe I can get things going again and get going to a better level that I can right now being self employed rather than an employee, I just need a breather so not looking for handouts or thinking things are beneath me at all.

I will take any job initially, regardless... best would be part time because I think I can make it a few months (with a part time income) before earning a first income although small... but need a job, so honestly doesnt really matter what it is and if 100% is all that is on offer then will take it and work evenings (job permitting and conflicts dealt with etc)...

Sh##t happens right... I am not young but also not old (48)... there is a bit of time, and heard of many people who have been in situations like this before and made it so no intention of crawling up in a ball, need to make it work and will do so! Pride does go out of the window when there are dependants involved...

I thought about the UK for the simple reason that it is cheaper to live... initially. So the choice was Switzerland if there was a better option in terms of initial support, but if it makes no difference then might consider the UK. Brexit I think we have until the end of the year so putting lockdowns aside for a second might be a better option when/if this starts up.

I would be consulting for companies in Europe so it doesnt really matter when I am based...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Falafel for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 15.04.2020, 11:13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: GR
Posts: 369
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 115 Times in 103 Posts
wantone has no particular reputation at present
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
Thanks all...

I am more than prepared for a drop in standard of living and have no delusions of grandeur in terms of how we will be living...

Spouse will come with and will be looking for work...

The only reason I am wanting to be self employed is because I know my limitations in terms of being employed... I am not too good at it... at the same time I believe I can get things going again and get going to a better level that I can right now being self employed rather than an employee, I just need a breather so not looking for handouts or thinking things are beneath me at all.

I will take any job initially, regardless... best would be part time because I think I can make it a few months (with a part time income) before earning a first income although small... but need a job, so honestly doesnt really matter what it is and if 100% is all that is on offer then will take it and work evenings (job permitting and conflicts dealt with etc)...

Sh##t happens right... I am not young but also not old (48)... there is a bit of time, and heard of many people who have been in situations like this before and made it so no intention of crawling up in a ball, need to make it work and will do so! Pride does go out of the window when there are dependants involved...

I thought about the UK for the simple reason that it is cheaper to live... initially. So the choice was Switzerland if there was a better option in terms of initial support, but if it makes no difference then might consider the UK. Brexit I think we have until the end of the year so putting lockdowns aside for a second might be a better option when/if this starts up.

I would be consulting for companies in Europe so it doesnt really matter when I am based...
London is more expensive than Switzerland. Outside of London yes it can be cheaper. In my opinion it depends on where do you think you have better chances to generate income.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank wantone for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 15.04.2020, 11:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Zürich
Posts: 895
Groaned at 84 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 1,181 Times in 575 Posts
YuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

The one thing regarding housing - assuming you've enough funds to life independently for, say 4 months (assuming 15-20k savings after calculating the move costs) - is that you'll have to settle for some place fairly remote, where the landlord will be happy to find someone at least.

The other option - an expensive flat - is out of the question obviously. Anything reasonable, where you'll face competition, won't be given out to someone without a credit history (recent one) in Switzerland, without holding a job, and without having decent savings.

So you'd have to settle for some place in, say, Wald, or somewhere in Aargau or St. Gallen, where you'd be the only applicant.

This would chance IMMEDIATELY if you secure a job here (but not with "gig jobs") - so if you can get some temporary housing (especially if you've only a very limited amount of stuff) - even in a furnished appartment for 2-3 months while looking for a job - this might be the much better option.

But then finding a perm. job in the current situation will be extremely hard.

Good luck, anyway.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank YuropFlyer for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 15.04.2020, 11:27
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,835
Groaned at 341 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 11,424 Times in 5,587 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Keep in mind that for housing you not only need to pay the normal rent but also 2 times a monthly rent as Kaution in advance, so you need to have at least that amount readily available to get a place.


Alternatively you may look into a Kautionsversicherung for that, not sure how that works if you do not have a (credit) history in Switzerland.

Last edited by roegner; 15.04.2020 at 11:27. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 15.04.2020, 11:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
London is more expensive than Switzerland. Outside of London yes it can be cheaper. In my opinion it depends on where do you think you have better chances to generate income.
but also where you believe, and your children believe- they will have the best chances to continue their education to the level they wish. Been thinking from the beginning of the thread- what do the kids feel about the move? It is a very difficult age to make such a massive change, for sure.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 15.04.2020, 11:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,680
Groaned at 58 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,216 Times in 3,813 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
Agreed - but his original post showed a desire not to survive on his own and claim social assistance.
On reflection, Susie, I can see now how the opening post could be read that way (although I didn't happen to see it like that). Fortunately, Falafel has since made his attitude much clearer:
Quote:
View Post
I dont expect to apply for social assistance and then send my kids to a CHF30-40k school... major moral issues with that ...
I think that Falafel is trying to find out what is regarded as reasonable and fair, and practical. It's a good thing that Falafel has already lived in Switzerland, albeit a while ago. The systems here are a whole new world and some aspects will be so much better than life in South Africa, and others worse.

@Falafel, I like the fact that you're doing your research, and clearly thinking deeply about what'd be best for everyone. Look before you leap: that seems to be you. Well done for that. Keep asking your questions.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 15.04.2020, 12:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,524
Groaned at 296 Times in 244 Posts
Thanked 9,723 Times in 5,128 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
Thanks... ok! Then bottom line is there is no middle road here... I will be taking a deep breath and making the call once the lockdown/s are over...
You probably don't need to wait, I would expect that all branches of government are at least active enough to give you feedback as to when they're operative again.

RAV, unemployment insurance, isn't social assistance, it's an insurance that's triggered under certain circumstances, assuming you qualify. IIRC you may be eligible for a start booster for your company if you qualify. Getting to know the details and catch-22's should probably be among your priorities.

You don't need a company to do self-employed business. A Swiss can start right away, though there may be consequences WRT taxes and eligibility for RAV.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 15.04.2020, 12:26
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: SA
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Falafel has no particular reputation at present
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Thank you..... again

With reference to the above "how do the kids feel"... nervous, anxious, excited, open to it, BUT reality is obviously different...trying not to discuss too much until I know what the best route would be and able to support.

UK work wise... wouldnt be in London and likely outside... kids would have a much smoother landing there (English and all)...

Thread started initially about work or financial support, for Swiss, being Swiss... and being technically unemployed... BUT it seems that based on the fact that I would want to work for myself and the current job situation it may be that another country is a better option. Switzerland would be hard to settle in being; expensive, language and education restrictions...

I just dont want to be in the situation where I find myself fast tracking to the stage where i am forced to go to the state for support and thats all I have... Switzerland may bring that situation on faster than say the UK...

If job situation was better (lets assume jobs are difficult everywhere) then I would take my chances in Switzerland and rather go for a full time job, but being bad kind of everywhere, self employed is still a better option, so then it comes down to cheapest cost of living with the added benefit of language for children and education alignment...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Falafel for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 15.04.2020, 12:26
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,527
Groaned at 218 Times in 185 Posts
Thanked 21,796 Times in 9,270 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
Why the UK is easier than Switzerland? Do you think it will be easier to find a job there or you have friends in the UK?
I guess that if the OP is expecting to live off savings initially, a place with generally low costs is a better idea than Switzerland. Initially that is. When it comes to finding a job and making money that advantage cancels out.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 15.04.2020, 12:27
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: SA
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Falafel has no particular reputation at present
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
You probably don't need to wait, I would expect that all branches of government are at least active enough to give you feedback as to when they're operative again.

RAV, unemployment insurance, isn't social assistance, it's an insurance that's triggered under certain circumstances, assuming you qualify. IIRC you may be eligible for a start booster for your company if you qualify. Getting to know the details and catch-22's should probably be among your priorities.

You don't need a company to do self-employed business. A Swiss can start right away, though there may be consequences WRT taxes and eligibility for RAV.
Thanks going to investigate!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 15.04.2020, 12:31
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,527
Groaned at 218 Times in 185 Posts
Thanked 21,796 Times in 9,270 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
So you'd have to settle for some place in, say, Wald, or somewhere in Aargau or St. Gallen, where you'd be the only applicant.
Stupid question here.

Can you just trot up to the Gemende of your choice and expect social assistance? Or does it have to be the Gemeinde in which you were already previously resident (which of course doesn't help the OP) or failing that, the person's Heimatgemeinde? And just hard luck if that happens to be a place where appartments are in short supply.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 15.04.2020, 13:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,680
Groaned at 58 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,216 Times in 3,813 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
Thank you..... again

With reference to the above "how do the kids feel"... nervous, anxious, excited, open to it, BUT reality is obviously different...trying not to discuss too much until I know what the best route would be and able to support.

UK work wise... wouldnt be in London and likely outside... kids would have a much smoother landing there (English and all)...

Thread started initially about work or financial support, for Swiss, being Swiss... and being technically unemployed... BUT it seems that based on the fact that I would want to work for myself and the current job situation it may be that another country is a better option. Switzerland would be hard to settle in being; expensive, language and education restrictions...
I take your point that your thread was started to think about (un-)employment, self-employment and what would happen if you came, lived on your savings, and then still hadn't got your show up and running before you had burnt through your savings. Fair enough.

I'd like to urge you, as you try to work out your potential budget, to find out about and compare the availability and the costs of extra support that your childen will need, to integrate, in both the UK and Switzerland. In Switzerland there are established, free programmes exactly for helping incoming children and teenagers. You need to find out whether there are similar systems in the UK and, if not, how much it would costs you to buy in the right kind of professional advice for them.

I mention this to say that "school fees" (none, for a government school) but also "costs of getting the teenagers settled and post-school education" are likely to be remarkably low in Switzerland. You won't have to search for schools or apply for admission: your children will be allocated to the school nearest your home (except that they might travel to intregration classes), and this local school will be reasonable, really it will. Living and attending school in one place increases the chances of making local friends.


Disclaimer: I do not know how the following aspects work in the UK.

About the children having a "smoother landing":
Here in Switzerland, there is a very strong emphasis on helping incoming children to integrate. There's no such thing as turning them over to the local school in the assumed school year according to their ages, and then abandoning them to learn the local language by themselves, and sink or swim.

On the contratry, they are put into so-called integration classes, which involve helping them to learn the local language, to understand how Switzerland ticks, and to find out what they can already do in each of the various school subjects and to work at maintain at least the levels they've already achieved, plus building them up in subjects in which they may have a deficit relative to the Swiss system (such as Swiss history and geography, for example, or a second Swiss language, later).

And also to talk with them about prospects for post-school education and training. It is considered essential, here, to get teenagers up standing on their own two feet, so that they can learn what they need to be able to become self-supporting adults.

In some municipalities, the integration class is in a separate school, in others it is in another classroom, and the child (for certain your younger) later makes a part-time or full-time transition to the main school stream. The elder may go straight from integration class into an apprenticeship.

About "education restrictions":
Not really. If there is a restriction, it lies in the fact that they children (and the adults) will do so much better if they learn the local language properly. Beyond that, the Swiss education is built on the concept that there is always an alternative route to achieve something.

Primary school streams into various levels, some geared towards university (Gymnasium = higher grade academic stream towards university entrance, called Matura), others not (secondary school). But it is possible to shift across, later, in both directions. To Gymnasium only once the command of the local language is sufficient.

As your children are not yet fluent in a local language, they will, at least to start with, not be placed in Gymnasium and will go to Sekundarschule instead (which is what the majority of teenagers do). After that, they'd do an apprenticeship (ditto majority). There are many, many kinds of apprenticeships here, not just the standard ones that might come to mind like carpenter or plumber. And having an apprenticeship is not considered inferior to having a degree, in that either route can enable one to earn one's living.

If, later, they decide they want to study, there are many ways to upgrade (add on modules) a Sekundarschulabschluss and/or an apprenticehsip, to get oneself up to the level of admission to a technical college. And from there, sometimes to post-graduate studies. There are schools for adults to get their Sekundarschulabschluss, and/or to get their Matura if they missed it first time round (although these are no longer free, as they are for children).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 15.04.2020, 13:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,680
Groaned at 58 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,216 Times in 3,813 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
Stupid question here.

Can you just trot up to the Gemende of your choice and expect social assistance? Or does it have to be the Gemeinde in which you were already previously resident (which of course doesn't help the OP) or failing that, the person's Heimatgemeinde? And just hard luck if that happens to be a place where appartments are in short supply.
If you are already living in Switzerland, and need financial support, you must register with the Social Security office in the municipality in whcih you currently live. If you are newly moving to Switzerland, you can choose any municipality, and do not have to go to your Heimatort, nor to any municipality in which you might previously have lived during another stay in Switzerland.

Fortunately, this isn't OP's strategy. While Falafel is, rightly so, wanting to understand how it works in case he ever fell, he is now trying to find out how to take wise decisions so as to avoid ever needing such support.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 15.04.2020, 14:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: SA
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Falafel has no particular reputation at present
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
If you are already living in Switzerland, and need financial support, you must register with the Social Security office in the municipality in whcih you currently live. If you are newly moving to Switzerland, you can choose any municipality, and do not have to go to your Heimatort, nor to any municipality in which you might previously have lived during another stay in Switzerland.

Fortunately, this isn't OP's strategy. While Falafel is, rightly so, wanting to understand how it works in case he ever fell, he is now trying to find out how to take wise decisions so as to avoid ever needing such support.
I would thank you many times but cant due to the forum rules.... correct!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Falafel for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 15.04.2020, 14:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: SA
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Falafel has no particular reputation at present
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

One other thing... would prefer to move to Switzerland than the UK so was hoping that there would be something to set off the "costs/risks" initially until things start up again... so I was hopeful that as a Swiss there would be some incentive to do it...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 15.04.2020, 14:27
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,835
Groaned at 341 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 11,424 Times in 5,587 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
One other thing... would prefer to move to Switzerland than the UK so was hoping that there would be something to set off the "costs/risks" initially until things start up again... so I was hopeful that as a Swiss there would be some incentive to do it...

There certainly is, as described above. But the idea is to give you enough incentive to stand on your own feet asap. It is social help and the idea is to get off that as soon as you can?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 15.04.2020, 14:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,524
Groaned at 296 Times in 244 Posts
Thanked 9,723 Times in 5,128 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
One other thing... would prefer to move to Switzerland than the UK so was hoping that there would be something to set off the "costs/risks" initially until things start up again... so I was hopeful that as a Swiss there would be some incentive to do it...
None I'm aware of, you're in a priviledged situation already with your nationality.

Moving to the UK would indeed reduce your running costs. But unless you're British, too, Brexit may make that difficult after December 2020 when the regulations applicable now run out. Are you British as well, hold dual nationality?
Quote:
View Post
Stupid question here.

Can you just trot up to the Gemende of your choice and expect social assistance? Or does it have to be the Gemeinde in which you were already previously resident (which of course doesn't help the OP) or failing that, the person's Heimatgemeinde? And just hard luck if that happens to be a place where appartments are in short supply.
A Swiss enjoys unrestricted "NiederlassungsFreiheit", the freedom to take residence where they want (within the country). You must be let in as long you can make it plausible that you're Swiss, and you can set up residence wherever your heart desires, whenever that happens to be. I would expect that receiving social assistance changes nothing.

The commune Rorschach(SG) wanted to refuse residence to a few people living on social assistance and tried to send them back to St.Gallen where they had had residence. The courts slapped Rorschach's fingers and ruled that they must accept them. I don't know/remember what their residence permits were, but I can't see how such wouldn't apply to Swiss nationals.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 15.04.2020, 15:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,680
Groaned at 58 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,216 Times in 3,813 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Quote:
View Post
One other thing... would prefer to move to Switzerland than the UK so was hoping that there would be something to set off the "costs/risks" initially until things start up again... so I was hopeful that as a Swiss there would be some incentive to do it...
This - your preference - is a good reason to pursue your line of enquiry about Switzerland. For any immigrant, in addition to all the hard facts, simply wanting to be there is one of the key reasons to succeed.

You're looking at the risks, and rightly so. I hear you that you don't want to be permanently employed, but that you are willing to be employed so as to cover your basic costs, and to work parallel on building up a business. You also wrote that your spouse intends to look for work.

On of the factors, in mitigating your risk, is how flexible you are willing to be, how much you and spouse are prepared to be employed, part-time, full-time, temporarily, in a job you might not want or like, etc. For a moment, I'm going to set out the unlikely scenario of your and spouse's not being able to land any qualified work at all, but only unqualified, part-time, etc..

Such work pays, more or less, about Fr. 25 per hour. In other words, if one person worked full-time at this rate
25 x 8 hours per day x 22 working hours per month = Fr. 4'400.
It is not easy to find full-time work for this kind of work, but several part-time jobs, the sum of which will be less than full-time. If both adults work at this unskilled level, the total earnings may approach Fr. 5'000 per month.

Have another look at the lower figures, here:
Quote:
View Post
To give you an idea, here are some sample budgets. They are a little more generous than the Social Security office would regard as essential. This shows that a family can live, modestly, for quite a while on 2x CHF 30'000 or CHF 40'000.
http://www.budgetberatung.ch/Familienbudget.75.0.html
It is not a luxurious life at all, to live, as a family of 4, on Fr. 5'000. To give you an idea of scale, there have been serious threads on this forum of people who have thought that they were hard-done-by when earning double that.
But many families do get by on Fr. 5'000, and it really is possible, as long as one cuts right down on luxury goods.

For this reason, Odile and others have done well to ask about the attitude of your spouse and children to this move. I think it is essential that they understand that, at first (but not necessarily permanently), they will not be eating out and going to ski. There are other quality-of-life factors that off-set such restrictions, though, such as fantastic public transport.

You also have some savings to tide you over for a while, to spend cautiously as needed, on costs over and above your low-skill, part-time earnings. My point, here, is that if you and spouse can each get some work, any work, that will achieve exactly what you're hoping for with "something to set off the "costs/risks" initially until things start up again". And naturally, the better your local language skills, the greater your network, the more likely you are to find better paid work.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 15.04.2020, 15:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,680
Groaned at 58 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,216 Times in 3,813 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landing in Switzerland as Unemployed

Here's a huge thread started by Pinkpanter, about lifestyle. Look closely at the earnings specified in the first post, and the immediately following comment. This is a bumper thread, with a lot of contrary opinions, but a good way to learn.
https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-...l-we-have.html


Here's another thread, but more peaceful, along the same lines, started by Kayakdad.
https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-...y-4-basel.html


And here's a super go-to thread started by Kiwi2Swiss, about finding work without qualifications. Kiwi2Swiss is Swiss, lived in NZ for many years, and she and her NZ husband came to live here for a while, and they were particularly looking for unqualified work, to start with, because he did not speak German.
https://www.englishforum.ch/employme...fications.html


And there's this work of art, started by PlantHead: Cost of living - help needed to get it right
https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-li...get-right.html


Don't be put off by threads being several years old. Inflation is low, here, so the information here will still give you the general idea. The point is that, with determination and cooperation within the family, one can cover the utmost basics (and have a rather dire time of it) with relatively little. That's the more do-able the greater your personal talents and discipline are, to make a better deal of it than staying on hourly wages in an unskilled job (and you sound like you may very well have what it takes). It is the extras that tip one into needing a greater income.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many unemployed in Switzerland as a result of Covid-19? PeterSoliman Employment 21 14.04.2020 14:57
South African's chances of landing a job in Switzerland? reneviljoen Employment 14 18.08.2016 19:08
Unemployed in Switzerland Southern Star Daily life 92 28.08.2015 17:14
What is a typical day of an unemployed mother in Switzerland? asus14 Other/general 23 03.12.2013 14:35
Unemployed in Switzerland Goats Employment 24 18.01.2010 22:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0