English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Employment (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/)
-   -   Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV] (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/298201-modern-swiss-lebenslauf-cv.html)

Island Monkey 20.05.2020 16:12

Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
What should be on one these days? A lot of these wouldn't be put on a UK CV, so not sure what the norm is here these days? It's for my Swiss husband's CV which he has not updated since 2004 :eek:

DOB?
Picture?
Marital status?
Nationality?
Address? (Or just email and phone?)

Anything else important? Thanks

nejc 20.05.2020 17:10

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
what is dob?
btw I will send you link of my CV as private message. It was with a lot of fighting with my RAV Berater. iI would never do it that.
Part of it is long list of my projects, you should discard that part.
At the end are "Referenzen" this is kind of separate document. But you always send it together with CV
btw, the guy who made it, said it's not CV but "Beruflicher Leistungsausweis" and that I have use as much blue fonts as possible, because it's more positive than black. And that my picture should be bigger, much bigger. I never trusted that guy completely, I think he secretly wanted to design billboards.

lost_inbroad 20.05.2020 17:19

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nejc (Post 3183324)
what is dob?
btw I will send you link of my CV as private message. It was with a lot of fighting with my RAV Berater. iI would never do it that.
Part of it is long list of my projects, you should discard that part.
At the end are "Referenzen" this is kind of separate document. But you always send it together with CV
btw, the guy who made it, said it's not CV but "Beruflicher Leistungsausweis" and that I have use as much blue fonts as possible, because it's more positive than black. And that my picture should be bigger, much bigger. I never trusted that guy completely, I think he secretly wanted to design billboards.

DOB - Date of birth

MusicChick 20.05.2020 17:49

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nejc (Post 3183324)
what is dob?
btw I will send you link of my CV as private message. It was with a lot of fighting with my RAV Berater. iI would never do it that.
Part of it is long list of my projects, you should discard that part.
At the end are "Referenzen" this is kind of separate document. But you always send it together with CV
btw, the guy who made it, said it's not CV but "Beruflicher Leistungsausweis" and that I have use as much blue fonts as possible, because it's more positive than black. And that my picture should be bigger, much bigger. I never trusted that guy completely, I think he secretly wanted to design billboards.

1 page?

LifeStrain 21.05.2020 11:14

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3183330)
1 page?

While 1 page is fancy, for people with 20 yrs of experience it may not be possible to fit all competences/experience and skillset.

I'd say if you are relatively young and have <10yrs of exp you could one page. Otherwise 2 is fine also.

Nothing pisses me off more than getting a bunch of internship CVs from 20-25 year-olds with 2page cover letter followed by 5 page CVs...:msnmad:

On the other hand, if this is academic CV, ghen the rule is the longer the better...

robBob 21.05.2020 11:35

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeStrain (Post 3183469)
Nothing pisses me off more than getting a bunch of internship CVs from 20-25 year-olds with 2page cover letter followed by 5 page CVs...:msnmad:

And what makes you smile and say I want to interview?

LifeStrain 21.05.2020 11:51

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robBob (Post 3183475)
And what makes you smile and say I want to interview?

CV size is not a decision factor. However, I will spend more time (per page) and stay more focused while reading a concise 1-2 page CV instead of looking through a 10-page epic. As a result, among two persons with equal skillsets, the one with concise CV is more likely to get an interview, because:

1. They show an additional skill of delivering information concisely and efficiently
2. There is a higher likelihood that I don't overlook an important skill on a 1-page CV, compared to 10-page.

lost_inbroad 21.05.2020 11:55

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
In my humble opinion, it doesn't matter at all what your CV looks like. It seems that obtaining a job is solely depending on who is viewing it. I've obtained all of my career jobs with an U.S. style CV, while I wasn't even able to get menial work with a traditional Swiss CV.

Guest 21.05.2020 12:41

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lost_inbroad (Post 3183483)
In my humble opinion, it doesn't matter at all what your CV looks like. It seems that obtaining a job is solely depending on who is viewing it. I've obtained all of my career jobs with an U.S. style CV, while I wasn't even able to get menial work with a traditional Swiss CV.

I certainly agree that the Swiss CV is not something to be concerned about for larger companies, although I had to create one, even went on a course[1] to do it, FFS, when I was on the RAV some years ago.

When applying for jobs I'd attach my 'real' CV, tailored to the way my experience was gained. The Swiss style is very formulaic so really doesn't suit anyone whose education and career hasn't followed normal routes and progressions.

But, @OP, yes, all of those are expected. And a good photo. Unfortunately, ageism is allowed in Swiss recruitment, so you're expected to rule yourself out of most jobs, if you're over 50, by stating that fact on the very first page.:msnmad:

[1] Which was actually much more useful for the experience than the content, as it was done in Swiss German.

nickatbasel 21.05.2020 13:32

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
As someone who has participated in the hiring process for IT / engineering roles and had to read through dozens of CVs, I always found those "RAV one-pager" CVs the worst as they paid more attention to that bloody picture and less to the skills and experience.

Most important is to have read the job description and make sure the requested skills and experience are on the front page, along with evidence of where you used those skills. I'm also unusual I think in that I also read the whole CV - just to see how "rounded" the person is - especially if there are a range of technologies used (recent and obselete) which for me indicates adaptability.

Cheers,
Nick

MusicChick 21.05.2020 17:30

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeStrain (Post 3183469)
While 1 page is fancy, for people with 20 yrs of experience it may not be possible to fit all competences/experience and skillset.

I'd say if you are relatively young and have <10yrs of exp you could one page. Otherwise 2 is fine also.

Nothing pisses me off more than getting a bunch of internship CVs from 20-25 year-olds with 2page cover letter followed by 5 page CVs...:msnmad:

On the other hand, if this is academic CV, ghen the rule is the longer the better...

The truth is, one size does definitely not fit all the shoes. Academic CV, a CV for a short term project within academia, a full academic with all publishing and conference presentations listed, or a regular job, Swiss job, international job, picture or not...a position one is applying for, I think it is always good to tailor and not send a fits-all template.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robBob (Post 3183475)
And what makes you smile and say I want to interview?

I bet it was the pic. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by lost_inbroad (Post 3183483)
In my humble opinion, it doesn't matter at all what your CV looks like. It seems that obtaining a job is solely depending on who is viewing it. I've obtained all of my career jobs with an U.S. style CV, while I wasn't even able to get menial work with a traditional Swiss CV.

Did you forget to include your pic?

https://image.shutterstock.com/image...-731369902.jpg

k_and_e 21.05.2020 18:13

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3183315)
What should be on one these days? A lot of these wouldn't be put on a UK CV, so not sure what the norm is here these days? It's for my Swiss husband's CV which he has not updated since 2004 :eek:

DOB?
Picture?
Marital status?
Nationality?
Address? (Or just email and phone?)

Anything else important? Thanks


Permit type is extremely important.


DOB: yes
Picture: only if you have a good picture
Marital status: no
Nationality: depends on your permit
Address: at least place of residence

lost_inbroad 21.05.2020 18:13

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3183558)


Did you forget to include your pic?

As you probably can asssume, I'm exremely handsome in real-life and that's precisely why I refrain from posting my picture on a cv, seeing as I don't want to get flooded with interview requests.

nejc 21.05.2020 20:10

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3183330)
1 page?


Yeah , kind of, it should be 1 page, font around 16, as round and happy as possible, not black or grey.


My current CV is now divided into:
Page 1: more or less how they thought it should be, kind of introduction, motivation and abilities

Page 2: my education and skills, with proper names :)

Pages 3,4,5: just the list with names and year of projects and stages, I have so many

Page 6: references


I hope it's still easy to read, you can read just page 1 or 2, whatever you prefer. With pages 3-6 someone can control me if he wants, and last pages to contact my ex-bosses.

Anyway, I always send a portfolio, it's demanded for architects and the motivation letter. The RAV didn't care about portfolio, even when it is the only important thing for architect.

And what they made me to put on first page of CV is something, I would rather move to motivation letter.

squeezethecroc 22.05.2020 18:04

Re: Modern Swiss Lebenslauf [CV]
 
A friend of mine asked me to design her CV when she wanted to apply for a US NGO. The application demanded a one page CV. She has tons of experience all over the world, all a bit different, all relevant. She crammed it all on one page in chronological order in about 6/7 pt. Times Roman.

I decided to ignore the demand for one page and designed a pdf booklet. Can't remember how many pages - but quite a few. I grouped it all by type of experience, indexed it and included working links where relevant and an introduction.

I didn't do it in Times Roman.

She got the job.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:55.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0