Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.09.2020, 12:10
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 590
Groaned at 62 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 383 Times in 214 Posts
saiya-jin is considered knowledgeablesaiya-jin is considered knowledgeablesaiya-jin is considered knowledgeable
Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Hi,
I've been WFH 100% since mid march. I saw previously some judge ruling that folks on WFH should receive 150chf compensation. Is this settled and valid or still open point?
Employer doesn't give anything on payslips, haven't checked with HR yet.
Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.09.2020, 12:13
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zürich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Opst has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

IIRC, this was only if you have no option to work on site and if you are forced by your employer to work from Home.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01.09.2020, 12:15
wrongster's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 39
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 62 Times in 15 Posts
wrongster is considered knowledgeablewrongster is considered knowledgeablewrongster is considered knowledgeable
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
I've been WFH 100% since mid march. I saw previously some judge ruling that folks on WFH should receive 150chf compensation. Is this settled and valid or still open point?
Employer doesn't give anything on payslips, haven't checked with HR yet.
Thank you in advance
Usually, WFH is per se a benefit. Unless you are being forced to do so, why would you want to be paid extra?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank wrongster for this useful post:
The following 3 users groan at wrongster for this post:
  #4  
Old 01.09.2020, 12:29
bonaire's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 266
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 405 Times in 134 Posts
bonaire has an excellent reputationbonaire has an excellent reputationbonaire has an excellent reputationbonaire has an excellent reputation
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Quote:
View Post
Usually, WFH is per se a benefit. Unless you are being forced to do so, why would you want to be paid extra?
In my past, the company was willing to pay internet and % of energy. I have not asked my last couple of companies to do it.

Maybe there is a need to increase internet speed to deal with streaming meetings and VPNs. So maybe it is fair to ask for % of internet and % of energy bill. .

In some situations, you may need a different house with more space or a dedicated office (without the rugrats running all around you). So WFH isn't a benefit for all.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bonaire for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 01.09.2020, 12:45
wrongster's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 39
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 62 Times in 15 Posts
wrongster is considered knowledgeablewrongster is considered knowledgeablewrongster is considered knowledgeable
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Quote:
View Post
In my past, the company was willing to pay internet and % of energy. I have not asked my last couple of companies to do it.

Maybe there is a need to increase internet speed to deal with streaming meetings and VPNs. So maybe it is fair to ask for % of internet and % of energy bill. .

In some situations, you may need a different house with more space or a dedicated office (without the rugrats running all around you). So WFH isn't a benefit for all.
Yes and no. Your company has a working location (which is usually defined in your contract), unless they themselves tell you to work elsewhere, WFH is a benefit. If the conditions where you live don't allow for this and you are able to freely choose where you want to work then the company has no legal requirement to pay extra.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01.09.2020, 12:52
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,308
Groaned at 182 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 12,677 Times in 6,640 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

A very long time ago I did WFH (I covered the German part for a company in the French part). I had Fr. 350.00, a separate phone line and the company car for private use.
I didn't realize back then how good this deal seems to have been.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 01.09.2020, 12:54
bonaire's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 266
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 405 Times in 134 Posts
bonaire has an excellent reputationbonaire has an excellent reputationbonaire has an excellent reputationbonaire has an excellent reputation
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Quote:
View Post
Yes and no. Your company has a working location (which is usually defined in your contract), unless they themselves tell you to work elsewhere, WFH is a benefit. If the conditions where you live don't allow for this and you are able to freely choose where you want to work then the company has no legal requirement to pay extra.
I wasn't talking about what is legal or not. Just my opinions on the situation and the working relationships I have had with previous employers. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bonaire for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 01.09.2020, 13:05
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Luzern
Posts: 313
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 366 Times in 190 Posts
nejc has earned the respect of manynejc has earned the respect of manynejc has earned the respect of many
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Quote:
View Post
Usually, WFH is per se a benefit. Unless you are being forced to do so, why would you want to be paid extra?
What a nonsense, for sure it is not benefit "per se".
It could be benefit for some people, and it could be a huge burden for others. Does everyone have: space, chair, table? It can get worse if suddenly everyone in household have to share small space.
For me personally working from home means lower quality of life. I often stay long into the night in the office, but I do never (except quarantine) take my work home.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank nejc for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 01.09.2020, 13:19
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,003
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 6,578 Times in 3,008 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

my employer has deemed it correct to offer me reimbursement within a limit for a screen, computer and chair.

I'm adding to that the fact that I don't waste time commuting, commuting is free and my work/life balance is much better.

Worth more than 150 francs, for sure.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 01.09.2020, 14:26
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,308
Groaned at 182 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 12,677 Times in 6,640 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Quote:
View Post
my employer has deemed it correct to offer me reimbursement within a limit for a screen, computer and chair.

I'm adding to that the fact that I don't waste time commuting, commuting is free and my work/life balance is much better.

Worth more than 150 francs, for sure.
Fully agree.
Times have changed a lot since the time I mentioned further up. Internet is flatrate now, so is phone. The increased use of electricity is seriously not worth mentioning. (Tested statement).
If someone does not already have decent equipment (the things you mentioned) it should be supplied by the employer (they can even have it back in case of job change).
Not having to commute and not being stressed by disliked and/or moody workmates and tedious office-gossip is taking a lot of strain off daily life.
One has to (and will have the energy to) up the private life - which is great as you get to spend time with people you really want to spend it with.
__________________
be inventive!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 01.09.2020, 15:18
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,633
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 4,625 Times in 1,830 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

There's a flip side to this, especially long term..

Sure I don't have the commute now but I actually quite enjoyed that. I liked to sometimes stop on the way home and have a beer, see people, interact etc.

Sure I have my own office at home, I had that already.. But it's my stuff, it's wear and tear on my desk and chair and 2000chf computer. I don't have a window in my home office, it was never intended for long term use.. People in the office without a window get a fancy light. Little things.

I don't have the option to return, I must stay home because I can. Sure I can leave.. Sure I can suck it up or sure I can focus on the positives.. But it's not really what most of us signed up for..

I don't think we should fall into the trap of thinking this home working is a privilege
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 01.09.2020, 16:10
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,081
Groaned at 165 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 6,375 Times in 2,907 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
I've been WFH 100% since mid march. I saw previously some judge ruling that folks on WFH should receive 150chf compensation. Is this settled and valid or still open point?
Employer doesn't give anything on payslips, haven't checked with HR yet.
Thank you in advance
No idea, but my daughter started her apprenticeship at the start of August and her pay cheque including an extra 150chf as compensation for working from home.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 02.09.2020, 09:08
wrongster's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 39
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 62 Times in 15 Posts
wrongster is considered knowledgeablewrongster is considered knowledgeablewrongster is considered knowledgeable
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Quote:
View Post
What a nonsense, for sure it is not benefit "per se".
It could be benefit for some people, and it could be a huge burden for others. Does everyone have: space, chair, table? It can get worse if suddenly everyone in household have to share small space.
For me personally working from home means lower quality of life. I often stay long into the night in the office, but I do never (except quarantine) take my work home.
Quote:
View Post
There's a flip side to this, especially long term..

Sure I don't have the commute now but I actually quite enjoyed that. I liked to sometimes stop on the way home and have a beer, see people, interact etc.

Sure I have my own office at home, I had that already.. But it's my stuff, it's wear and tear on my desk and chair and 2000chf computer. I don't have a window in my home office, it was never intended for long term use.. People in the office without a window get a fancy light. Little things.

I don't have the option to return, I must stay home because I can. Sure I can leave.. Sure I can suck it up or sure I can focus on the positives.. But it's not really what most of us signed up for..

I don't think we should fall into the trap of thinking this home working is a privilege

You both fail to see the big picture. One thing is being ordered and/or adviced by the state and company to work from home due to a global pandemic that could potentially kill you, and another very different is being able to freely choose where you want to work from any given day. The latter describes what I consider a benefit and applies to pre-COVID times.

Exceptional circumstances require exceptional measures. The crisis is hitting all sectors pretty hard and not all companies are able to pay those extra Kw/h you are using at home to power up a monitor and a laptop. Hell, some companies are struggling to keep people employed. But sure, let your company fire the lower skilled 10% of employees to compensate the effort you make by working from home and stop the virus from spreading.

Me, myself and I right?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at wrongster for this post:
  #14  
Old 02.09.2020, 09:23
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,081
Groaned at 165 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 6,375 Times in 2,907 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Quote:
View Post
But sure, let your company fire the lower skilled 10% of employees to compensate the effort you make by working from home and stop the virus from spreading.

Me, myself and I right?
So the company has now attained charitable status, it no longer seek to make a profit and would never dream of cutting the workforce even if it did result in cost savings and higher profits.

Seems like the ‘company man’ still exists in some quarters then...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 02.09.2020, 09:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,900
Groaned at 62 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 9,995 Times in 4,094 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

If an employee is ordered to work from home, but home involves a lot of other people, especially children, and/or someone very ill living at home, and/or a lot of noise and/or no space, then the employee is in a difficult position: not allowed to come into the office, but no suitable working space at home.

A friend WFH in his quiet home. He has a colleague who, having a small home with a complex social set-up, such that it was impossible to get any work done there, actually had to go out and rent a desk in a co-working office, just to work at all. That certainly cost him more than Fr. 150.

Next, their employer announced that they will most likely close down most of the office space and require most people to WFH most of the time. That's a clever cost-saving step by the employer, rolling the cost of the office space over onto the employee. The employer will not be paying compensation of any kind. That man is now stuck: he is out of pocket because he has to pay for his own working environment.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 02.09.2020, 09:36
wrongster's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 39
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 62 Times in 15 Posts
wrongster is considered knowledgeablewrongster is considered knowledgeablewrongster is considered knowledgeable
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Quote:
View Post
So the company has now attained charitable status, it no longer seek to make a profit and would never dream of cutting the workforce even if it did result in cost savings and higher profits.

Seems like the ‘company man’ still exists in some quarters then...
Sure, you can misconstrue what I wrote. Not a problem.

Cutting the workforce to pay for your electricity bill, rent and home office equipment will not make the company more profitable. It will only help it's egocentric employees complain a little less.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at wrongster for this post:
  #17  
Old 02.09.2020, 09:44
wrongster's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 39
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 62 Times in 15 Posts
wrongster is considered knowledgeablewrongster is considered knowledgeablewrongster is considered knowledgeable
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Quote:
View Post
If an employee is ordered to work from home, but home involves a lot of other people, especially children, and/or someone very ill living at home, and/or a lot of noise and/or no space, then the employee is in a difficult position: not allowed to come into the office, but no suitable working space at home.

A friend WFH in his quiet home. He has a colleague who, having a small home with a complex social set-up, such that it was impossible to get any work done there, actually had to go out and rent a desk in a co-working office, just to work at all. That certainly cost him more than Fr. 150.

Next, their employer announced that they will most likely close down most of the office space and require most people to WFH most of the time. That's a clever cost-saving step by the employer, rolling the cost of the office space over onto the employee. The employer will not be paying compensation of any kind. That man is now stuck: he is out of pocket because he has to pay for his own working environment.

This is a completely different area. The company changed his work location to "remote only" and this person has no alternative.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02.09.2020, 10:19
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,633
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 4,625 Times in 1,830 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Quote:
View Post
This is a completely different area. The company changed his work location to "remote only" and this person has no alternative.
This is the position for many of though..

My place is only taking 30% of people back, priority to those who live over the border and can't fully work from home for legal reasons..

So effectively I'm remote only, I can't just choose to go back. This is the case until at leat end of year and if things get worse again, who knows.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 02.09.2020, 10:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,900
Groaned at 62 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 9,995 Times in 4,094 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

Quote:
View Post
This is the position for many of though..

My place is only taking 30% of people back, priority to those who live over the border and can't fully work from home for legal reasons..

So effectively I'm remote only, I can't just choose to go back. This is the case until at leat end of year and if things get worse again, who knows.
Exactly. If you can't choose to go back, then you're forced to WFH. Then, if your home circumstances make it impossible to work there (too small, too many other people or animals needing to share the same space, possibly the same desk/table, too many of them doing noisy or otherwise distruptive things while you're trying to work, building environment too noisy, etc.) you end up paying for office space elsewhere, either by moving to a larger home (higher rent) or by renting a desk somewhere, at your expense.

Alternatively, some such office-less employees do manage to escape to the library or a café.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02.09.2020, 11:01
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,003
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 6,578 Times in 3,008 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working from home - 150CHF compensation?

I can see and do sympathise with those who are not used to WFH and don't have an environment suited to supporting this. Where the employer is considering forcing the situation to be long term, they definitely should compensate the employee (after all, office space has certain fixed costs that are pretty high and the employer is saving with WFH).

Additionally, certain equipment should be supported or compensated; I used my own computer and have a desk, screen and chair - this is where the compensation from my employer, hopefully on a regular basis, allows me to have nice kit.

It's not for everyone and will have casualties. 150 will not resolve the issue for a good proportion of people and never everybody.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 x Tatami mats 150CHF bilko Items for sale 1 25.05.2020 11:51
Can you receive compensation for road works outside your home? Susie-Q Housing in general 0 24.04.2020 16:30
Ikea Kivik sofa & longue - 150chf OBO [Rapperswil] redworm Items for sale 0 04.06.2019 13:54
Salary Compensation - Working in Schaffhausen and Living in Singen hohentwiel,Germany Selvam Employment 17 21.01.2018 00:01
Working out the take-home pay wpp1 Finance/banking/taxation 4 28.05.2010 10:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0