Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.09.2020, 16:25
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: schwyz
Posts: 13
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LondonPM has become a little unpopularLondonPM has become a little unpopular
What To expect From The RAV

I have been in Switzerland for three years now at one of the banks (eg UBS / CS) and earnt about 180K a year.

I expect that the good times are over and there will be massive reductions - I have been planing how to best survive and want to hear first hand experiences from people who used the Schwyz rav systems.

I know the max salary is 70% of 148K and I will be penalised for 20 days because I am single.

Has anyone recently been on the rav and how did you find it -

Coming from the UK I cant believe that this system exists and it does not get abused. I am thanking myself that this exists and I know that:

1) i will have to stay in switzerland rather than travelling home
2) Make 10 applications a month

Both of those restrictions dont seem to difficult for me so can i really count on this 18 month rav window as an opportunity to retrain and enjoy zurich

Of course if something comes up I will grab it but the word on the streets is that the market is dead and London is also pretty bad at the momment
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.09.2020, 08:26
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Formerly Vaud
Posts: 166
Groaned at 13 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 79 Times in 61 Posts
henrikh has made some interesting contributions
Re: What To expect From The RAV

Quote:
View Post
1) i will have to stay in switzerland rather than travelling home
2) Make 10 applications a month
Regarding point 1, it's indeed the rule but no-one will check if you are actually in the country or not. There is a monthly meeting with your adviser where you must be present, and a piece of paper (form) you have to fill in and provide to RAV at the beginning of each month, but apart from these practically you may be wherever you want.
Plenty of people take this as an opportunity to travel around the world, job applications can be submitted from anywhere. Should you be invited for an interview with very short notice, you'll come back.
Regarding pont 2, there is no such hard limit written anywhere.
The expected number of applications is based on your agreement with your adviser. Some advisers folow common sense better than others, once I had one who specifically asked me to apply only for those positions where I am a really good fit, so it was OK for him to have 1-2 applications a week, another told me to have 10 applications a month or more. So it depends.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank henrikh for this useful post:
This user groans at henrikh for this post:
  #3  
Old 14.09.2020, 08:53
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,347
Groaned at 342 Times in 273 Posts
Thanked 17,921 Times in 9,710 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What To expect From The RAV

Quote:
View Post
Regarding point 1, it's indeed the rule but no-one will check if you are actually in the country or not. There is a monthly meeting with your adviser where you must be present, and a piece of paper (form) you have to fill in and provide to RAV at the beginning of each month, but apart from these practically you may be wherever you want.
Plenty of people take this as an opportunity to travel around the world, job applications can be submitted from anywhere. Should you be invited for an interview with very short notice, you'll come back.
Regarding pont 2, there is no such hard limit written anywhere.
The expected number of applications is based on your agreement with your adviser. Some advisers folow common sense better than others, once I had one who specifically asked me to apply only for those positions where I am a really good fit, so it was OK for him to have 1-2 applications a week, another told me to have 10 applications a month or more. So it depends.
The RAV have a habit of writing to you by post, for an appointment a couple of days later. Unless you are doing part time work out of Canton you need to be at home most days to check the mail. You need to apply for any holidays, it's a criminal offence to abuse the system.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 14.09.2020, 09:07
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,070
Groaned at 165 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 6,361 Times in 2,901 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What To expect From The RAV

Quote:
View Post
Regarding point 1, it's indeed the rule but no-one will check if you are actually in the country or not. There is a monthly meeting with your adviser where you must be present, and a piece of paper (form) you have to fill in and provide to RAV at the beginning of each month, but apart from these practically you may be wherever you want.
Plenty of people take this as an opportunity to travel around the world, job applications can be submitted from anywhere. Should you be invited for an interview with very short notice, you'll come back.
Regarding pont 2, there is no such hard limit written anywhere.
The expected number of applications is based on your agreement with your adviser. Some advisers folow common sense better than others, once I had one who specifically asked me to apply only for those positions where I am a really good fit, so it was OK for him to have 1-2 applications a week, another told me to have 10 applications a month or more. So it depends.
Complete nonsense, best ignored.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
The following 5 users groan at Jim2007 for this post:
  #5  
Old 14.09.2020, 09:14
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,870
Groaned at 190 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 1,846 Times in 909 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: What To expect From The RAV

A lot depends on your advisor but travelling out of Switzerland for a few days at a time is normally possible.
Whatever your RAV advisor says, always reply, "Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir!"


I used my RAV time and GA to travel all over CH, just keep the adviser happy and you are good.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Dack Rambo for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 14.09.2020, 10:36
BasP72's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Adliswil (close to Zurich)
Posts: 1,856
Groaned at 70 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 1,672 Times in 799 Posts
BasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What To expect From The RAV

Regarding this point 1, you have to be able to go to interview withing 24 hours. Which in practise means travel abroad is difficult...

What I recommend... looks for the official web page about registering for the RAV. This will contain links to two 15 minute 'courses' you have to do. At the end of these courses you can print out a page saying you did the course successfully, these papers MUST be handed in when registering at the RAV. The courses are basically a load of information about your rights and obligations while on the RAV, and cover the questions you asked in your first post.
__________________
Happiness is a full tank of gas (or better yet, diesel !)
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank BasP72 for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 14.09.2020, 10:43
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,733
Groaned at 16 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,936 Times in 891 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What To expect From The RAV

My girlfriend was on RAV at the Lachen office a few years ago. I went with her to meetings for translation and moral support.

Make sure that you do the online training in advance. She missed it on a letter that was sent. It put her advisor in a bad mood from the start. „Just because you‘ve got an MBA doesn‘t mean you will just walk into another job. Just another lazy expat expecting it on a plate“ etc. He mellowed a little when he saw that she‘d already been applying for a decent number of jobs, had filed it all neatly, had an up to date CV in English and German, but not much. Refused German lessons as they wouldn‘t help someone who didn‘t speak the language at all.

Second meeting could see that she was actually serious and offered to pay for the German courses she‘d already enrolled herself in. 3rd meeting I think she had a job lined up and he told me that I don‘t need to come to the final meeting, as they can talk in English. Most of the rest of the meeting was discussing how he‘d been going to Florida for the last 25 years. It had been clear to me from the beginning he spoke some English by how he reacted to my translations and what we were saying to each other, but because they got off on the wrong foot, there was no way he was going to make life easy until she‘d ‚proved‘ herself in his eyes.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 14.09.2020, 10:52
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,347
Groaned at 342 Times in 273 Posts
Thanked 17,921 Times in 9,710 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What To expect From The RAV

Quote:
View Post
My girlfriend was on RAV at the Lachen office a few years ago. I went with her to meetings for translation and moral support.

Make sure that you do the online training in advance. She missed it on a letter that was sent. It put her advisor in a bad mood from the start. „Just because you‘ve got an MBA doesn‘t mean you will just walk into another job. Just another lazy expat expecting it on a plate“ etc. He mellowed a little when he saw that she‘d already been applying for a decent number of jobs, had filed it all neatly, had an up to date CV in English and German, but not much. Refused German lessons as they wouldn‘t help someone who didn‘t speak the language at all.

Second meeting could see that she was actually serious and offered to pay for the German courses she‘d already enrolled herself in. 3rd meeting I think she had a job lined up and he told me that I don‘t need to come to the final meeting, as they can talk in English. Most of the rest of the meeting was discussing how he‘d been going to Florida for the last 25 years. It had been clear to me from the beginning he spoke some English by how he reacted to my translations and what we were saying to each other, but because they got off on the wrong foot, there was no way he was going to make life easy until she‘d ‚proved‘ herself in his eyes.
I had at least 6 advisors over many years, 2 really enjoyed spending 30-40 minutes speaking English & I really looked forward to their meetings. ! eventually spoke English, turned out he had a Thai bride & spoke English at home
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 14.09.2020, 19:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: schwyz
Posts: 13
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LondonPM has become a little unpopularLondonPM has become a little unpopular
Re: What To expect From The RAV

Quote:
View Post
The RAV have a habit of writing to you by post, for an appointment a couple of days later. Unless you are doing part time work out of Canton you need to be at home most days to check the mail. You need to apply for any holidays, it's a criminal offence to abuse the system.
Thanks so much. Is this true because it happened to you first hand or hearsay information

Even when I am in Zurich I only check post once a week
Reply With Quote
This user groans at LondonPM for this post:
  #10  
Old 14.09.2020, 19:23
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,347
Groaned at 342 Times in 273 Posts
Thanked 17,921 Times in 9,710 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What To expect From The RAV

Quote:
View Post
Thanks so much. Is this true because it happened to you first hand or hearsay information

Even when I am in Zurich I only check post once a week
1 advisor sent all communications by A post, sent on Thursday for a meeting on Monday / Tuesday / Wednesday the following week. Sounds like you don't live where you claim to live.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 14.09.2020, 22:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,558
Groaned at 31 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 909 Times in 546 Posts
Landers has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of many
Re: What To expect From The RAV

Quote:
View Post
Coming from the UK I cant believe that this system exists and it does not get abused.


It does, massively. The stories I could tell you.

It's like a private salary insurance that you pay premiums for from your salary and many people feel that they're 'owed' it after a while.


You have to show that you're actively looking for work and would be available if something came up. Travel to the UK all you want just maybe don't emigrate to the other side of the world. Id there are not that many places where you could work, like in pharma for example, you don't need to do anywhere near 10 applications per month. RAV likely won't have access to relevant jobs so you're unlikely to be called for interview by them. Just the regular scheduled monthly meeting in person, if that in these corona times.


RAV usually doesn't bother about retraining if you're a professional.

[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 15.09.2020, 01:20
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,070
Groaned at 165 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 6,361 Times in 2,901 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What To expect From The RAV

Quote:
View Post
1 advisor sent all communications by A post, sent on Thursday for a meeting on Monday / Tuesday / Wednesday the following week. Sounds like you don't live where you claim to live.
The last two appointments I had were on 24 hour notice. Email one morning, be there the following morning.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 15.09.2020, 14:02
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,870
Groaned at 190 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 1,846 Times in 909 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: What To expect From The RAV

I always had at least two weeks notice of an appointment
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 15.09.2020, 14:25
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,004
Groaned at 46 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,075 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What To expect From The RAV

Oh, as I'm fully insured I just employ a secretary to check my post every few days and book my flights for me if I need to pop back from my beachside retreat.

Quote:
View Post
It does, massively. The stories I could tell you.

It's like a private salary insurance that you pay premiums for from your salary and many people feel that they're 'owed' it after a while.
In reality, there are two sides to the coin. The system here also reflects that employees do not have a lot of on the job protection and security.

I suspect a lot of us are going to feel that even more in the coming couple of years.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank krlock3 for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 20.09.2020, 02:45
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 6003
Posts: 129
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 119 Times in 46 Posts
mikee has no particular reputation at present
Re: What To expect From The RAV

“I know the max salary is 70% of 148K and I will be penalised for 20 days because I am single.

Has anyone recently been on the rav and how did you find it - “

I lost 20 days in first month ...called “waiting days”? was a bit of a shock as had not expected it. Did not hear it was related to being single ?

Important to inform Arbeitsampt immediately if your company releases you..(even if Garden Leave) !!

I agreed 10 job applications per month which for me, wasn’t an issue.

Reply that said “travel the world” .. seriously !!!

They often contribute to training courses so that is always worthwhile.



Best Rgds

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 20.09.2020, 07:40
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 1,820
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 931 Times in 519 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What To expect From The RAV

My experience (well, that of a close friend) is that the RAV people are generally organised and have their ducks in a row, but the particular insurance company you're with can be a nightmare, as they are the ones who release the money to you. My friend was paid nothing for the six or seven months she was out of work, was constantly trying to contact them to get them to actually pay something, or even to reply when she sent in the "corrected" forms they demanded (which were the same as the ones which had been given to them from the beginning, confirmed by the RAV office) then got a lump sum payment after she'd already started her new job, because she told her RAV officer the full story and they put a rocket up the insurance company.

Lesson there is check the insurance company you're with while you're working, so that you hopefully don't get stuffed around, and if they are stuffing you around, get the RAV office to put a rocket up them ASAP.
Fortunately my friend's husband was still working full-time, so they didn't lose their apartment or starve, but money was extremely tight for that time.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 20.09.2020, 08:10
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,141
Groaned at 55 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,443 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What To expect From The RAV

OP,

Please do not listen to the lax suggestions in this thread, they could get you in to trouble.

Arbeitzamt / chômage is an insurance.
The jobseeker / insuree:
-must be available to go to an appointment when contacted
-must be available to immediately start a job within 2 hours travelling distance from his/her home one way.
-can be asked to work a temporary job even menial (they pay the difference) while seeking fitting employment
-is allowed to take «vacation» days and travel after 3 months of RAV

The 10 application rule is still mandatory I believe and they have the right to contact the companies to see if you have applied

We are immensely fortunate to have the RAV if we need it.
It should be respected and not abused.

If there is non-compliance to the rules, I believe they maintain the right to ask the jobseeker to return the money they have aleady received??
__________________
.
"Il mondo è fatto a scale, chi le scende e chi le sale"
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 20.09.2020, 08:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 40
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
SandyDown has no particular reputation at present
Re: What To expect From The RAV

This is a useful thread, can people who put in useful information e.g. re the courses etc post some links? Or is there a sticky for this kind of information?
Is one recommended to do their necessary travel prior to applying to the RAV? Or should they contact the RAV immediately once they know they are about to be laid off, and can do some necessary travel during the first 20 days waiting time? ( I only mention necessary travel e.g to home to manage personal stuff as one would not be able to travel freely, holiday travel can be officially taken off like one is in a normal job)

I am hoping I will not be needing the RAV, but its uncertain times.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 20.09.2020, 09:05
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,141
Groaned at 55 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,443 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What To expect From The RAV

@SandyDown

Yes, I would suggest to get any travelling out of the way before applying, because afterwards it’s the RAV rules which apply.

Yes, it is recommended to sign up when one is actually laid off, even with some garden leave. They cannot help or offer service (I believe) before.

No, I don’t think one can travel during the 20 day waiting period because there are two different points in question:
1 is the RAV and its help as well as its obligations to comply
2 is the payment of 70% of the average of the last 6 months of salary (80% if you have children)

It’s for the payment where there’s the 20 days waiting time, but during that time the jobseeker is already benefitting from the RAV support and abiding to its rules (as of day 1)

And I hope none of us need the RAV in these uncertain times
We are so fortunate that it does exist.
__________________
.
"Il mondo è fatto a scale, chi le scende e chi le sale"
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 20.09.2020, 10:01
komsomolez's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 230
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 227 Times in 104 Posts
komsomolez is considered knowledgeablekomsomolez is considered knowledgeablekomsomolez is considered knowledgeable
Re: What To expect From The RAV

Just survived a firing round, but yes - it makes you study the RAV regulations more closely. Useful thread.

I have two questions to which I did not find clear info on the various RAV, Unia etc sites:

Waiting time: the term sounds like it is a deferral, but will the 5-20 days actually be deducted from your 400 days or do the 400 days start later?

Children: What about children living in the household who are from your partners earlier relationship? Married, but kids not adopted.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I cannot, don't want, won't, don't expect me to... McTAVGE Complaints corner 29 28.10.2013 23:41
Expect the underexpected? amici Employment 0 21.04.2013 15:10
What permit can we expect to get? Vegan_Chef Permits/visas/government 2 09.12.2012 17:09
What can I expect in CH zwq1984 Employment 11 07.07.2010 16:07
We seem to expect too much from CH Soixante_neuf Complaints corner 91 14.05.2010 17:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0