Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.10.2020, 01:59
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: los angeles, california
Posts: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Naimah has no particular reputation at present
Will my US Certification Be Recognized in Switzerland?

Hello everyone,
I am American with a swiss fiance. My fiance and I are planning on moving to Switzerland next year. I am a licensed Hair Stylist here in the US and wanted to know if my US certification will be recognized in Switzerland or would I have to start over?

-King regards
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.10.2020, 09:25
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,620
Groaned at 95 Times in 90 Posts
Thanked 20,359 Times in 9,008 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will my US Certification Be Recognized in Switzerland?

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a hairdresser verein/association but I have no idea what it's called. Here's a post from an older thread with a few links to beauty schools that might help.

Do you speak the local language well enough to understand your clients?

Quote:
View Post
There is a school: http://www.fahrny.ch/grundausbildung...ule-fahrny.cfm. and more of them http://www.coiffeurfachschulen.ch I've been a customer at some of those - very good prices! - and the young students are coached while they are cutting, dying or washing and brushing. I was always satisfied.

It is in German, though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.10.2020, 09:47
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 33,141
Groaned at 2,739 Times in 1,933 Posts
Thanked 40,408 Times in 19,051 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will my US Certification Be Recognized in Switzerland?

You will need to take and pass the exam, which requires the local language, written and practical.

My daughter did the opposite, and moved to LA for 4 years, and had to pass the exam there (took two tries due to the fact that they combine hairdressing and barber there, and she wasn't up on the barber bit), but at least she speaks English so no problem.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 15.10.2020, 10:44
Mullhollander's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,804
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 4,029 Times in 1,749 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will my US Certification Be Recognized in Switzerland?

The Swiss hair stylist association is called "Coiffure Suisse". More information is at this link (available in Geman, French, Italian):


https://www.coiffuresuisse.ch/


Employees of Swiss hair salons are covered by a General Work Contract (GAV) which is valid across Switzerland and is mandatory. This is the Coiffure Suisse association's write-up on the GAV (French):


https://coiffuresuisse.ch/fr/news-me...ue-gav-ist-da/



A GAV is called "contrat de travail collectif" in French.


Please note that it is possible to work as an employee in a Swiss hair salon under three categories of the GAV:


1. Hairstylist CFC/EFZ (Certificat fédéral de capacité)
2. Hairstylist AFP/ EBZ (Attestation fédérale de formation professionnelle)
3. Hairstylist without recognized training (collaborateurs non qualifiés)


There are courses that assist hair stylists without recognized qualifications to obtain a hair stylist diploma. This is an example (but there are likely others):


https://swiss-beauty-academy.ch/coif...erholungskurs/


Good luck with your move to Switzerland!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 15.10.2020, 11:14
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 13,467
Groaned at 106 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 20,875 Times in 9,200 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will my US Certification Be Recognized in Switzerland?

Coiffeur/Hair dresser is not a regulated profession in Switzerland.
https://www.sbfi.admin.ch/sbfi/en/ho...ofessions.html

Anyone which gets hold of scissors can cut hair and charge money for it. Accordingly no diploma needed, nor the need for a official diploma recognition.

It is possible to work independent by renting a chair in a hair salon. Be aware about your obligation.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 15.10.2020, 23:41
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,620
Groaned at 95 Times in 90 Posts
Thanked 20,359 Times in 9,008 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will my US Certification Be Recognized in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Coiffeur/Hair dresser is not a regulated profession in Switzerland.
https://www.sbfi.admin.ch/sbfi/en/ho...ofessions.html

Anyone which gets hold of scissors can cut hair and charge money for it. Accordingly no diploma needed, nor the need for a official diploma recognition.

It is possible to work independent by renting a chair in a hair salon. Be aware about your obligation.
If you believe my husband's hairdresser, OP may find it challenging to get a job with nothing but scissors and English, even renting a chair. Apparently the Coiffure Suisse is pretty influential and many salons won't hire you or let you rent a chair if you aren't "properly" qualified and a member. After all, their reputation as an association is on the line. Or something.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 16.10.2020, 00:03
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,435
Groaned at 314 Times in 227 Posts
Thanked 11,917 Times in 4,476 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will my US Certification Be Recognized in Switzerland?

I think you need a PhD in Coiffeur-ology to work as a hairdresser in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.10.2020, 00:40
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: los angeles, california
Posts: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Naimah has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Welcome to the Forum.

There is a hairdresser verein/association but I have no idea what it's called. Here's a post from an older thread with a few links to beauty schools that might help.

Do you speak the local language well enough to understand your clients?
Thank you so much! I will check those links out. Also, I am taking French classes at the moment. I still have so much to learn. As bad as I would like to jump in and start working right away; I will not be able to until I improve in the language of course.

Quote:
View Post
I think you need a PhD in Coiffeur-ology to work as a hairdresser in Switzerland.
Thank you for this info. I will continue to look into this. My fiance has been doing research as well and claims I will not have start over but I need to know for sure of course.

-Kind regards <3

Thank you for this info! <3

Quote:
View Post
Coiffeur/Hair dresser is not a regulated profession in Switzerland.
https://www.sbfi.admin.ch/sbfi/en/ho...ofessions.html

Anyone which gets hold of scissors can cut hair and charge money for it. Accordingly no diploma needed, nor the need for a official diploma recognition.

It is possible to work independent by renting a chair in a hair salon. Be aware about your obligation.

Thank you for this info, will check it out!

Quote:
View Post
Coiffeur/Hair dresser is not a regulated profession in Switzerland.
https://www.sbfi.admin.ch/sbfi/en/ho...ofessions.html

Anyone which gets hold of scissors can cut hair and charge money for it. Accordingly no diploma needed, nor the need for a official diploma recognition.

It is possible to work independent by renting a chair in a hair salon. Be aware about your obligation.
Quote:
View Post
The Swiss hair stylist association is called "Coiffure Suisse". More information is at this link (available in Geman, French, Italian):


https://www.coiffuresuisse.ch/


Employees of Swiss hair salons are covered by a General Work Contract (GAV) which is valid across Switzerland and is mandatory. This is the Coiffure Suisse association's write-up on the GAV (French):


https://coiffuresuisse.ch/fr/news-me...ue-gav-ist-da/



A GAV is called "contrat de travail collectif" in French.


Please note that it is possible to work as an employee in a Swiss hair salon under three categories of the GAV:


1. Hairstylist CFC/EFZ (Certificat fédéral de capacité)
2. Hairstylist AFP/ EBZ (Attestation fédérale de formation professionnelle)
3. Hairstylist without recognized training (collaborateurs non qualifiés)


There are courses that assist hair stylists without recognized qualifications to obtain a hair stylist diploma. This is an example (but there are likely others):


https://swiss-beauty-academy.ch/coif...erholungskurs/


Good luck with your move to Switzerland!

Merci beaucoup, will check the links out. Greatly appreciated <3

Quote:
View Post
You will need to take and pass the exam, which requires the local language, written and practical.

My daughter did the opposite, and moved to LA for 4 years, and had to pass the exam there (took two tries due to the fact that they combine hairdressing and barber there, and she wasn't up on the barber bit), but at least she speaks English so no problem.

Tom

Hello, I've heard of this. The only problem is I only see German writing regarding the test. My fiance speaks french and I am only learning french being that I will be residing in a small french speaking village called Tavannes. But my sister in law is German , maybe I should ask for her help as well. Thank you so much! You are all so helping and kind.

Last edited by roegner; 16.10.2020 at 07:48. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Naimah for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cosmetic, cosmetology, hairstylist




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Having a Brazilian Divorce recognized in Switzerland Kiwifruit Family matters/health 0 18.06.2020 18:29
Is FRM certification useful in Switzerland? andxor Employment 5 17.01.2020 18:51
Is CACHE a recognized childcare diploma in Switzerland? ifisabel Education 1 29.08.2018 15:32
Should Islam become a recognized church of the State in Switzerland? olygirl Swiss politics/news 329 04.01.2017 18:14
Is the British BA Degree recognized in Switzerland ? andy.swiss Employment 12 18.06.2010 16:08


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0