Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.10.2020, 10:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MarekDublin has no particular reputation at present
Unemployment Benefits

Good Day,

I came to Switzerland on June 26, 2017 and was working on L and now on B permit.
I am afraid that my contract it might not be extended beyond 2020.

Could somebody advice me what to do to get unemployment benefits?
I am living in Canton Schwyz.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18.10.2020, 10:52
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 1,782
Groaned at 85 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,312 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Quote:
View Post
Good Day,

I came to Switzerland on June 26, 2017 and was working on L and now on B permit.
I am afraid that my contract it might not be extended beyond 2020.

Could somebody advice me what to do to get unemployment benefits?
I am living in Canton Schwyz.
https://www.sz.ch/privatpersonen/arb...2-485-478-1861

I bet it took me less time searching for this then for you to post your question.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 18.10.2020, 12:59
Mullhollander's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,586
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,632 Times in 1,592 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment Benefits

The RAV website has information for job-seekers in English, which should be helpful:


https://www.arbeit.swiss/secoalv/en/...nsuchende.html


If you are on a fixed-term contract, you need to start looking three months before it expires. You should plan to send 10 to 12 applications per month and document them on this form:


Nachweis der persönlichen Arbeitsbemühungen (PDF, 304 kB, 30.08.2019)


Also, please see this thread for translations of RAV forms and information:


https://www.englishforum.ch/employme...ranslated.html


Good luck with your job search!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 31.10.2020, 13:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
KevinD has no particular reputation at present
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Hi!


I have received notice that my contract will end on December 20, the same day when my L permit expires.


I will have worked in Switzerland for 15 months when this happens.



Would anyone know if I can apply for unemployment without a valid residence permit? Or is it possible to get some other residence permit with the understanding that I am unemployed? I am an EU citizen.


Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 31.10.2020, 17:40
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,121
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,093 Times in 9,617 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Quote:
View Post
Hi!


I have received notice that my contract will end on December 20, the same day when my L permit expires.


I will have worked in Switzerland for 15 months when this happens.



Would anyone know if I can apply for unemployment without a valid residence permit? Or is it possible to get some other residence permit with the understanding that I am unemployed? I am an EU citizen.

Thanks!

Profile says otherwise so are you dual nationality? If not, then I'm afraid that's it as you are probably here on a tied to employer permit and it's unlikely that an L permit non-EU national will be able to claim unemployment. You may be able to stay to job hunt according to this, but I think that may depend on whether you have the funds to do so. I'm also not sure if that just applies to EU nationals or all foreigners.

https://www.ch.ch/en/foreign-nationa...d-switzerland/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31.10.2020, 18:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
KevinD has no particular reputation at present
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Hi!


Thanks for the reply!


I entered Switzerland on a French passport so I guess I am an EU citizen.


It appears that I might be able to remain up to 6 months here and be on unemployment if necessary.



Would that be your understanding.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31.10.2020, 18:52
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,121
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,093 Times in 9,617 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Quote:
View Post
Hi!


Thanks for the reply!


I entered Switzerland on a French passport so I guess I am an EU citizen.


It appears that I might be able to remain up to 6 months here and be on unemployment if necessary.



Would that be your understanding.
You'd need to talk to the cantonal migration office and RAV to be sure.

"However, you will need to obtain authorisation from the cantonal immigration or labour market authorities."

As an EU national you can be here for up to 3 months as a tourist anyway assuming you have the funds to support yourself, but you wouldn't be getting any unemployment in that scenario I think.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 31.10.2020, 19:01
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 217 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 7,418 Times in 3,283 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Quote:
View Post
It appears that I might be able to remain up to 6 months here and be on unemployment if necessary.

- Not unless you qualify for Swiss benefits under the normal rules
- You were unemployed in another EU/EEA state and transferred here to seek work, in which case you may receive three months benefits from that state.
- Your contributions in an EU/EEA state combined with your Swiss contributions qualify you for Swiss benefits
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 31.10.2020, 19:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 35
Groaned at 5 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 47 Times in 16 Posts
mmartins has no particular reputation at present
Re: Unemployment Benefits

I asked a similar question some time ago and the answer was "no benefits". See https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-...-l-permit.html
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank mmartins for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 31.10.2020, 21:33
Mullhollander's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,586
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,632 Times in 1,592 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Quote:
View Post
Hi!

Thanks for the reply!

I entered Switzerland on a French passport so I guess I am an EU citizen.

It appears that I might be able to remain up to 6 months here and be on unemployment if necessary.

Would that be your understanding.
As an EU citizen with an EU-L permit:

"Holder of a short-term residence permit L and the employment ends or is involuntarily terminated:
Further stay in Switzerland for the purpose of job search is permitted for 6 months, provided that sufficient financial means are available. If no new job could be found within these 6 months, the right of residence expires after these 6 months. (Art. 61a para. 1 AIG).

During this period there is no entitlement to social assistance (Art. 61a para. 3 AIG).

If the person concerned can claim unemployment benefit for longer than the aforementioned 6 months, the right of residence expires when the compensation payments cease (Art. 61a para. 2 AIG).

Important: If the permit or identity card expires during the above-mentioned periods, an application for a permit extension must be submitted."

German text is at this link, p. 2:

https://www.ag.ch/media/kanton_aarga...illigung~1.pdf
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 01.11.2020, 17:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
KevinD has no particular reputation at present
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Thank you all for your help!


I have already worked for more than a year in Switzerland, but my L permit expires when my contract ends in late December.



It seems that I could stay and look for a job for 6 months following the end of the contract, but that I would have to get the L permit renewed in order to possibly receive UI benefits.


And the only way to get an L permit is to have an employer who will hire me. And of course if I have an employer hire me, I will no longer be unemployed.



It seems a bit like a Catch 22.


I hope that I never need this help.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01.11.2020, 19:46
Mullhollander's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,586
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,632 Times in 1,592 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Quote:
View Post
Thank you all for your help!

I have already worked for more than a year in Switzerland, but my L permit expires when my contract ends in late December.

It seems that I could stay and look for a job for 6 months following the end of the contract, but that I would have to get the L permit renewed in order to possibly receive UI benefits.

And the only way to get an L permit is to have an employer who will hire me. And of course if I have an employer hire me, I will no longer be unemployed.

It seems a bit like a Catch 22.

I hope that I never need this help.

My suggestion is to register with RAV this month while you still have a valid EU-L permit. RAV then becomes your new "employer" as of 21 December and RAV will normally also report your employment status to the Migrationsamt. You should also indicate to the Migrationsamt when you apply for a new EU-L permit that you are registered with RAV. The Migrationsamt should then approve a new EU-L permit until the end of your unemployment compensation period.

For information on how long you can draw RAV unemployment compensation, please see FAQ 7 at this link (English):

https://www.arbeit.swiss/secoalv/en/...edien/faq.html

Please note that the Taggelder are work-days so multiply by 7/5 for calendar days, e.g., 260 Taggelder x 7/5 = 364 calendar days (i.e., one year).

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 02.11.2020, 22:58
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
KevinD has no particular reputation at present
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Thanks a lot!


I will check this out.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.11.2020, 23:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,742
Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,102 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Thank god for Mullhollander!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05.11.2020, 15:58
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Vaud
Posts: 242
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 71 Posts
Gravity is considered knowledgeableGravity is considered knowledgeableGravity is considered knowledgeable
Re: Unemployment Benefits

I'm a bit confused how an EU citizen could have problems getting B permit?

ASAIK EU citizen can just declare having enough funds to be self sufficient to renew hers/his permit B.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05.11.2020, 16:04
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,121
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,093 Times in 9,617 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Quote:
View Post
I'm a bit confused how an EU citizen could have problems getting B permit?

ASAIK EU citizen can just declare having enough funds to be self sufficient to renew hers/his permit B.
Which may or may not be granted depending on whether your definition of sufficient funds matches the canton's.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 05.11.2020, 16:05
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,912
Groaned at 446 Times in 340 Posts
Thanked 22,078 Times in 11,469 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Quote:
View Post
I'm a bit confused how an EU citizen could have problems getting B permit?

ASAIK EU citizen can just declare having enough funds to be self sufficient to renew hers/his permit B.
Yes, however your view of sufficient funds, might be different the authorities view by a factor of 5 to 10.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 05.11.2020, 16:08
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 35
Groaned at 5 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 47 Times in 16 Posts
mmartins has no particular reputation at present
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Quote:
View Post
My suggestion is to register with RAV this month while you still have a valid EU-L permit. RAV then becomes your new "employer" as of 21 December and RAV will normally also report your employment status to the Migrationsamt. You should also indicate to the Migrationsamt when you apply for a new EU-L permit that you are registered with RAV. The Migrationsamt should then approve a new EU-L permit until the end of your unemployment compensation period.

For information on how long you can draw RAV unemployment compensation, please see FAQ 7 at this link (English):

https://www.arbeit.swiss/secoalv/en/...edien/faq.html

Please note that the Taggelder are work-days so multiply by 7/5 for calendar days, e.g., 260 Taggelder x 7/5 = 364 calendar days (i.e., one year).

Good luck!
Are you sure this is possible? After all - he is still employed at the moment. What is the basis of his registration with RAV?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05.11.2020, 16:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 58
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 52 Times in 27 Posts
SrkiKi has earned some respectSrkiKi has earned some respect
Re: Unemployment Benefits

You should register with RAV the moment you receive the termination notification. They will also check if termination has been done in line with the local regulations and advise on next steps.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05.11.2020, 16:37
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Vaud
Posts: 242
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 71 Posts
Gravity is considered knowledgeableGravity is considered knowledgeableGravity is considered knowledgeable
Re: Unemployment Benefits

Quote:
View Post
Are you sure this is possible? After all - he is still employed at the moment. What is the basis of his registration with RAV?
Been there... When you know you're going to loose your job soon you should register
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Gravity for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paid unemployment benefits being reclaimed by unemployment office johnmayer Employment 6 21.09.2012 08:11
Changes in unemployment benefits juice99 Employment 0 06.05.2011 12:34
Unemployment Benefits to Non EU? shaz Permits/visas/government 7 03.01.2009 19:59
Unemployment benefits as Non EU?? kvrbpl Permits/visas/government 1 27.09.2008 18:21
E-301 for unemployment benefits edelweiss Employment 2 24.03.2008 19:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0