Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.11.2020, 18:17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rubenslash has no particular reputation at present
Mass dismissal (Massenentlassung) and notice period

Hi,


My company will do a mass dismissal (i.e dismiss more than 10% of the workforce) due to the corona crisis. My contract mentions a 3 month notice period, is this still valid in the case of such a mass dismissal or are they not obliged to pay me anything?


Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19.11.2020, 19:01
Mullhollander's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,570
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,565 Times in 1,578 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mass dismissal (Massenentlassung) and notice period

According to the below link under "Beendigung des Arbeitsverhältnisses" (Ending of the employment relationship), the earliest the termination can occur under a mass layoff is after 30 days, except where the contract or law causes it to take effect later:

https://www.zh.ch/de/wirtschaft-arbe...iessungen.html


Then click on "Merkblatt Massenentlassungen" at bottom for source and more information.


Also, to avoid sanction days at RAV Swiss job service, you should begin searching for a job as soon as possible and document your efforts, at least 10 to 12 applications and other efforts per month.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19.11.2020, 19:09
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rubenslash has no particular reputation at present
Re: Mass dismissal (Massenentlassung) and notice period

Quote:
View Post
According to the below link under "Beendigung des Arbeitsverhältnisses" (Ending of the employment relationship), the earliest the termination can occur under a mass layoff is after 30 days, except where the contract or law causes it to take effect later:

https://www.zh.ch/de/wirtschaft-arbe...iessungen.html


Then click on "Merkblatt Massenentlassungen" at bottom for source and more information.


Also, to avoid sanction days at RAV Swiss job service, you should begin searching for a job as soon as possible and document your efforts, at least 10 to 12 applications and other efforts per month.
Thanks. However this is unclear to me: “ except where the contract or law causes it to take effect later:”

My contract states 3 month notice period but doesn’t mention anything about mass dismissal. So it’s still not clear to me whether the 3 month applies in this case.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19.11.2020, 20:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,127
Groaned at 34 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,778 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mass dismissal (Massenentlassung) and notice period

Quote:
View Post
Thanks. However this is unclear to me: “ except where the contract or law causes it to take effect later:”

My contract states 3 month notice period but doesn’t mention anything about mass dismissal. So it’s still not clear to me whether the 3 month applies in this case.
Contact your local branch of UNIA, they're used to dealing with mass dismissal and will know what to do.
In cases where more than a certain percentage of jobs are involved there are different rules to those where it's just one of two people involved.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19.11.2020, 21:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,410
Groaned at 54 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 1,618 Times in 939 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mass dismissal (Massenentlassung) and notice period

Quote:
View Post
Hi,


My company will do a mass dismissal (i.e dismiss more than 10% of the workforce) due to the corona crisis. My contract mentions a 3 month notice period, is this still valid in the case of such a mass dismissal...
Thank you!

Simply, yes.


You might want to use up any accrued vacation time because if you get given some garden leave they don't have to pay you (extra) for the vacation.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 20.11.2020, 08:26
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zürich
Posts: 101
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 130 Times in 58 Posts
bokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mass dismissal (Massenentlassung) and notice period

Yes, your 3 month notice period still applies.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bokabil for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sublease contract for 1 year - no notice period ? or exit fees with notice period? Hlathgerth Housing in general 4 28.04.2018 15:33
Notice period for apartment [Kundigungsfrist]: moving out before the 3 months notice Nukles85 Housing in general 13 12.03.2015 15:22
Dismissal - when is my notice period effective?? tester Employment 4 04.10.2014 14:36
Notice period during probationary period AM1978 Employment 4 22.01.2013 21:42
What constitutes mass dismissal? Gunpowderboy Employment 2 20.12.2011 16:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0