Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.12.2020, 19:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
dcthang has earned some respectdcthang has earned some respect
Notice period

Hello,

I'm leaving my job at a restaurant. The contract says the notice period is one month.

I informed my employer today (1/12) of my leaving as I want to leave at the end of this month (31/12). However, she said that I need to work until the end of January.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.12.2020, 19:29
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,752
Groaned at 357 Times in 298 Posts
Thanked 13,222 Times in 6,234 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period

You should have resigned by November 30 to be able to leave at the end of December.

Ask your employer again, maybe they are willing to let you go earlier?
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 01.12.2020, 19:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,576
Groaned at 74 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 11,186 Times in 4,552 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period

Yes, your employer is right. Notice is measured in full calendar months, and the notice must be received by the employer before the notice month begins.

Last edited by doropfiz; 01.12.2020 at 21:46. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 01.12.2020, 19:53
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
dcthang has earned some respectdcthang has earned some respect
Re: Notice period

Quote:
View Post
You should have resigned by November 30 to be able to leave at the end of December.

Ask your employer again, maybe they are willing to let you go earlier?
Quote:
View Post
Yey, your employer is right. Notice is measured in full calendar months, and the notice must be received by the employer before the notice month begins.

Thanks. She doesn't want to let me go earlier. That's the problem. I guess I need to work until Jan then.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dcthang for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 01.12.2020, 21:11
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,310
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,801 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period

Does the contract (and all the employment conditions etc) actually only say one month?

I wouldn't kick up a fuss because you still want a decent reference and so on, but the contract should say something like "and can take effect only at the end of the month".

In any case you'd still be slightly wrong, your exit date would be 1st January.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 01.12.2020, 21:49
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,786
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,577 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period

Quote:
View Post
I wouldn't kick up a fuss because you still want a decent reference and so on, but the contract should say something like "and can take effect only at the end of the month".
.
"Auf das Monatsende" is not only a standard wording but also the default by law. Art. 335c Code of obligations

It is a restaurant job we can also look into the L-GAV/CCNT : https://l-gav.ch/fr/convention-actue...delai-de-conge
It conveniently also specifies that the resignation must be in reach of the employer within the prescribed notice period..
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 01.12.2020, 22:12
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,310
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,801 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period

Quote:
View Post
"Auf das Monatsende" is not only a standard wording but also the default by law. Art. 335c Code of obligations

It is a restaurant job we can also look into the L-GAV/CCNT : https://l-gav.ch/fr/convention-actue...delai-de-conge
It conveniently also specifies that the resignation must be in reach of the employer within the prescribed notice period..
But if the employment contract varies the notice period, and does not include the end-of-month part, does it still apply?

I would have thought that the whole clause in the law is replaced with what is in the contract, so if end-of-month is wanted then it needs to be written.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.12.2020, 22:24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Zug
Posts: 98
Groaned at 20 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 49 Posts
rumshot is considered knowledgeablerumshot is considered knowledgeablerumshot is considered knowledgeable
Re: Notice period

Usually it will come with ďany dayĒ verbiage.... if not as far as I know, it must follow the law...

I donít know for sure


Quote:
View Post
But if the employment contract varies the notice period, and does not include the end-of-month part, does it still apply?

I would have thought that the whole clause in the law is replaced with what is in the contract, so if end-of-month is wanted then it needs to be written.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.12.2020, 00:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,413
Groaned at 54 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 1,622 Times in 941 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period

Colleagues of mine have it in their contracts now that "the notice period is 30 days" i.e. you leave 30 days after giving or getting the notice, regardless of how many years you've worked their.


The trouble with the word "month" is that it's not a clear until of time like day or week. Someone new to Switzerland could easily and understandably take "one month's notice" to mean if you resign on the xth of the month you work until the xth of the next month.


One thing you can do if you have the balls is to simply tell them when you're leaving and stop working on that day.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02.12.2020, 08:31
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,310
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,801 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period

Quote:
View Post
The trouble with the word "month" is that it's not a clear until of time like day or week. Someone new to Switzerland could easily and understandably take "one month's notice" to mean if you resign on the xth of the month you work until the xth of the next month.

One thing you can do if you have the balls is to simply tell them when you're leaving and stop working on that day.
But the meaning is clear - one month means to the same date in the next month. Every contract I've had (I checked) explicitly stated the end-of-month thing.

The question is whether it still means "end-of-month" even if not stated, due to the underlying law aSitUS quoted, or whether any contract has to completely state the period including that part. I don't think "it's always that way" is a valid contractual argument, although sometimes it can be for very clear "unwritten" standards.

I wouldn't recommend just leaving - unless the new job is dependent on the earlier date and is obviously secure and better than the current one.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02.12.2020, 11:55
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,786
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,577 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period

Quote:
View Post
The question is whether it still means "end-of-month" even if not stated, due to the underlying law aSitUS quoted, or whether any contract has to completely state the period including that part. I don't think "it's always that way" is a valid contractual argument, although sometimes it can be for very clear "unwritten" standards..
I would say so. If a contract does not specify something than the default set by the Code of Obligations takes precedence. That is exactly the reason for its existence. Nevertheless, the contract parties can mutually agree that it should be interpreted differently. If both are happy the Code of Obligations, even the wording of the contract, is not that relevant.

See also Art. 18 and 19 Code of Obligations
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 02.12.2020, 13:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,413
Groaned at 54 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 1,622 Times in 941 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period

Quote:
View Post
But the meaning is clear - one month means to the same date in the next month.

I don't think "it's always that way" is a valid contractual argument


In the UK I would tend agree with you.
However, there are 12 months in the year. "One month's notice" could easily also be interpreted as being "one of those months", otherwise it's a proportion of one month and a proportion of the next which is often referred to in English as "a calendar Month" but that it also not clear as it also means one of the 12 months in the calendar.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sublease contract for 1 year - no notice period ? or exit fees with notice period? Hlathgerth Housing in general 4 28.04.2018 15:33
RAV & Notice period jammidge Permits/visas/government 10 17.01.2016 21:25
Notice period for apartment [Kundigungsfrist]: moving out before the 3 months notice Nukles85 Housing in general 13 12.03.2015 15:22
Notice period during probationary period AM1978 Employment 4 22.01.2013 21:42
Handing your notice in after the notice period Guest Employment 13 08.03.2010 16:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0