Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.02.2021, 15:11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JensWegner has no particular reputation at present
Unemployment benefits and self-employed?

Hello there,

I am a German citizen with a B-permit and currently employed with a Swiss company in Geneva.

Due to COVID I am expected to be laid off soon as my company is struggling.

I am also shareholder of a small company in Germany which not yet pays out any salaries etc. as still a small growing business.

Now, I am worried that my unemployment benefits here in Switzerland will be denied or cut once I loose my Swiss job due to the company in Germany I am part of as someone told me you cannot get unemployment benefits if you are also self-employed.

Is that true?

Greatful for any insights on this specific case.

Merci / regards
Jens
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.02.2021, 17:34
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment benefits and self-employed?

Quote:
View Post
Hello there,

I am a German citizen with a B-permit and currently employed with a Swiss company in Geneva.

Due to COVID I am expected to be laid off soon as my company is struggling.

I am also shareholder of a small company in Germany which not yet pays out any salaries etc. as still a small growing business.

Now, I am worried that my unemployment benefits here in Switzerland will be denied or cut once I loose my Swiss job due to the company in Germany I am part of as someone told me you cannot get unemployment benefits if you are also self-employed.

Is that true?

Greatful for any insights on this specific case.

Merci / regards
Jens
You can be part time self employed & get unemployment benefits in CH
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 17.02.2021, 19:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JensWegner has no particular reputation at present
Re: Unemployment benefits and self-employed?

ok, good to know.

So, I guess you have to declare your self-employment when applying at the RAV?

Once you make actually make some money with your self-employment, this amount will be deducted from your unemployment benefits or how does this work?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17.02.2021, 19:27
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment benefits and self-employed?

Quote:
View Post
ok, good to know.

So, I guess you have to declare your self-employment when applying at the RAV?

Once you make actually make some money with your self-employment, this amount will be deducted from your unemployment benefits or how does this work?
The same as other part time work
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17.02.2021, 20:03
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,781
Groaned at 246 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 7,856 Times in 3,464 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment benefits and self-employed?

Quote:
View Post
So, I guess you have to declare your self-employment when applying at the RAV?

Are you actually working in the business or do you just have a financial interest in it? There is a big difference.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 17.02.2021, 20:08
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 343
Groaned at 21 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 404 Times in 187 Posts
Sinking has earned the respect of manySinking has earned the respect of manySinking has earned the respect of many
Re: Unemployment benefits and self-employed?

Careful about how you present your case to the unemployment office.

You might want to give them a call explaining the situation (ie: working in Switzerland, if it's full time, part time, etc.). If you work full time in Switzerland, I suppose you are just a shareholder in Germany? If that is the case, no need to mention anything.

If that's your company, however, it might be a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18.02.2021, 07:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JensWegner has no particular reputation at present
Re: Unemployment benefits and self-employed?

I am currently not receiving any salary from that German company where I am a partner. I only get reimbursements for certain costs I have such as traveling costs for attending partner meetings.
The company is similar to what here in Switzerland would be called a "general partnership" or "société en nom collectif". It has no legal personality of its own and is therefore not a legal person itself.

From my understanding any earnings (salary or yearly profits) would need to be declared to the RAV and will get deducted from my unemployment benefits.

Do you know at what point the RAV considers this self-employment as "enough" to stop paying unemployment benefits such as a threshold in CHF? If you are allowed to do part-time jobs, how much can you make and still receive benefits?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18.02.2021, 10:42
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment benefits and self-employed?

Quote:
View Post
I am currently not receiving any salary from that German company where I am a partner. I only get reimbursements for certain costs I have such as traveling costs for attending partner meetings.
The company is similar to what here in Switzerland would be called a "general partnership" or "société en nom collectif". It has no legal personality of its own and is therefore not a legal person itself.

From my understanding any earnings (salary or yearly profits) would need to be declared to the RAV and will get deducted from my unemployment benefits.

Do you know at what point the RAV considers this self-employment as "enough" to stop paying unemployment benefits such as a threshold in CHF? If you are allowed to do part-time jobs, how much can you make and still receive benefits?
When you earn more than your insured salary they stop paying
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18.02.2021, 17:12
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,781
Groaned at 246 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 7,856 Times in 3,464 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unemployment benefits and self-employed?

Quote:
View Post
I am currently not receiving any salary from that German company where I am a partner. I only get reimbursements for certain costs I have such as traveling costs for attending partner meetings.
The company is similar to what here in Switzerland would be called a "general partnership" or "société en nom collectif". It has no legal personality of its own and is therefore not a legal person itself.

From my understanding any earnings (salary or yearly profits) would need to be declared to the RAV and will get deducted from my unemployment benefits.

Do you know at what point the RAV considers this self-employment as "enough" to stop paying unemployment benefits such as a threshold in CHF? If you are allowed to do part-time jobs, how much can you make and still receive benefits?
Sounds like it is just a business interest, you are not working there and are not receiving any income. So should not be a big issue.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rav, self-employed, unemployment




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unemployment benefits - After the PhD vlad_island Employment 62 03.01.2019 00:30
Self employed get no unemployment benefits ? Helena Paris Employment 14 10.02.2016 13:30
Paid unemployment benefits being reclaimed by unemployment office johnmayer Employment 6 21.09.2012 09:11
Help, please?!? [Unemployment benefits for self-employed] Aussie/Swede Employment 5 12.10.2011 00:49
E-301 for unemployment benefits edelweiss Employment 2 24.03.2008 20:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0