English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Employment (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/)
-   -   Chomage while seeking work and living abroad (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/303024-chomage-while-seeking-work-living-abroad.html)

Humph 07.03.2021 10:42

Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Im sure this must have been covered, but I couldnt find anything on it in search- I believe its possible to claim chomage while living elsewhere in the EU and seeking work there, is this still correct? Does anyone have experience of this? If it is possible, would I need to still maintain some form of Swiss residency while I did this? Id probably be moving to and seeking work in Ireland, but just thinking of further possible options, I guess it wouldnt apply in the UK any more as its no longer in the EU? Thanks in advance for any help on this...

roegner 07.03.2021 10:46

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
You can transfer it to another EU country (I think after being on RAV for month). You cannot live abroad and claim Swiss RAV, no, you need to be resident here, if only for any meeting/course you may have.

st2lemans 07.03.2021 10:47

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
As I recall, it's only for max three months, and you must have claimed for at least one month here.

Tom

Mullhollander 07.03.2021 10:56

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
For an English translation of "A Guide to Benefits for Insured Persons Looking for Work Abroad (EU or EFTA Member State)" (Ein Leitfaden fr Versicherte - Leistungen bei Arbeitssuche im Ausland (EU- oder EFTA-Mitgliedstaat)), please see post 37 at this link:

https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/277795-rav-application-unemployment-benefit-translated-2.html

Humph 07.03.2021 11:07

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by roegner (Post 3282766)
You can transfer it to another EU country (I think after being on RAV for month). You cannot live abroad and claim Swiss RAV, no, you need to be resident here, if only for any meeting/course you may have.

If I were to do this, it would very likely be a permanent move from the start (as I seriously doubt Im going to get a new job here, much though Id like to) but Id want to take advantage of the chomage for as long as possible (3 months it sounds) while seeking gainful employment in the new country. Id need to give notice on my apartment as I couldnt afford to pay loyer here and rent abroad at the same time - but would I actually need a real physical address to remain resident? Wonder if it might be possible to give the commune a holding address, say a friends who I could stay with when necessary), and only go through the exit formalities after 3 months.

Humph 07.03.2021 11:07

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mullhollander (Post 3282771)
For an English translation of "A Guide to Benefits for Insured Persons Looking for Work Abroad (EU or EFTA Member State)" (Ein Leitfaden fr Versicherte - Leistungen bei Arbeitssuche im Ausland (EU- oder EFTA-Mitgliedstaat)), please see post 37 at this link:

https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/277795-rav-application-unemployment-benefit-translated-2.html

Thanks!

roegner 07.03.2021 11:22

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Humph (Post 3282776)
If I were to do this, it would very likely be a permanent move from the start (as I seriously doubt Im going to get a new job here, much though Id like to) but Id want to take advantage of the chomage for as long as possible (3 months it sounds) while seeking gainful employment in the new country. Id need to give notice on my apartment as I couldnt afford to pay loyer here and rent abroad at the same time - but would I actually need a real physical address to remain resident? Wonder if it might be possible to give the commune a holding address, say a friends who I could stay with when necessary), and only go through the exit formalities after 3 months.

Not a legal way of doing it if you then still move abroad..... you can register with a friend and still be liable for insurance, taxes etc

Yes, you need a Swiss address and after one month you can move your benefits to another country.

Island Monkey 07.03.2021 11:38

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Do you get the Swiss benefits? Or do you get the amount of an unemployed person in your new country (ie 410 per month in the U.K.) ??

Sinking 07.03.2021 12:06

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Humph (Post 3282776)
If I were to do this, it would very likely be a permanent move from the start (as I seriously doubt Im going to get a new job here, much though Id like to) but Id want to take advantage of the chomage for as long as possible (3 months it sounds) while seeking gainful employment in the new country. Id need to give notice on my apartment as I couldnt afford to pay loyer here and rent abroad at the same time - but would I actually need a real physical address to remain resident? Wonder if it might be possible to give the commune a holding address, say a friends who I could stay with when necessary), and only go through the exit formalities after 3 months.

If I am not mistaken, the opportunity to export your unemployment benefits temporarily is given to residents for a maximum of three months; which means that if you leave Switzerland, you won't be resident anymore.

This is used, for example, when a Swiss resident cannot find a job in Switzerland but might have better opportunities elsewhere in Europe.

During these 3 months, you will have to keep sending the usual monthly statement in order to get paid. Moreover, you will have to register to the unemployment office of the country where you are looking for work and follow their rules (for example, you might be asked to do 10 job applications a month in Switzerland, but in another country it could be 100 or none at all).

Sinking 07.03.2021 12:08

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3282790)
Do you get the Swiss benefits? Or do you get the amount of an unemployed person in your new country (ie 410 per month in the U.K.) ??

You get the insured benefits as if you were in Switzerland.

Infos can be found in the useful link posted above.

Belgianmum 07.03.2021 12:20

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3282790)
Do you get the Swiss benefits? Or do you get the amount of an unemployed person in your new country (ie 410 per month in the U.K.) ??

You get the Swiss ones for the three months maximum allowed but you have to send in the monthly forms and register at the unemployment office of the country you move to.

DerDieDas 07.03.2021 13:39

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by roegner (Post 3282766)
You can transfer it to another EU country (I think after being on RAV for month). You cannot live abroad and claim Swiss RAV, no, you need to be resident here, if only for any meeting/course you may have.

I wish people did not answer questions when they do not have the correct answers.

It is possible to transfer Swiss unemployment benefit for at least 3 months if you leave Switzerland to an EU/EFTA country.

Here is a document that confirms this (page 39):

https://www.ahv-iv.ch/p/880.e

Before leaving, you must:

have been registered as an unemployed jobseeker with the employment services in the country where you became unemployed for at least 4 weeks (exceptions can be made)
apply to your national employment services for a U2 form (formerly E 303) - an authorisation to export your unemployment benefits.
This authorisation is valid for one country only. If you wish to export your unemployment benefits to another country, you need to apply for another U2 form. Ask your jobcentre whether you have to go back home to apply for this new authorisation or whether you can do it remotely.


Here is the link:

https://www.arbeit.swiss/secoalv/en/...e-eu-efta.html

Belgianmum 07.03.2021 13:56

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DerDieDas (Post 3282820)
I wish people did not answer questions when they do not have the correct answers.

It is possible to transfer Swiss unemployment benefit for at least 3 months if you leave Switzerland to an EU/EFTA country.

Here is a document that confirms this (page 39):

https://www.ahv-iv.ch/p/880.e

Maybe you should practice what you preach?:rolleyes:

That document clearly states on page 39 that benefits can be transferred for a maximum of three months.

roegner 07.03.2021 14:00

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DerDieDas (Post 3282820)
I wish people did not answer questions when they do not have the correct answers.

It is possible to transfer Swiss unemployment benefit for at least 3 months if you leave Switzerland to an EU/EFTA country.

Here is a document that confirms this (page 39):

https://www.ahv-iv.ch/p/880.e

Before leaving, you must:

have been registered as an unemployed jobseeker with the employment services in the country where you became unemployed for at least 4 weeks (exceptions can be made)
apply to your national employment services for a U2 form (formerly E 303) - an authorisation to export your unemployment benefits.
This authorisation is valid for one country only. If you wish to export your unemployment benefits to another country, you need to apply for another U2 form. Ask your jobcentre whether you have to go back home to apply for this new authorisation or whether you can do it remotely.


Here is the link:

https://www.arbeit.swiss/secoalv/en/...e-eu-efta.html


And you cannot receive RAV and move abroad and then expect to get the Swiss RAV for longer than 3 months and you need to register with the local unemployment agency.


3 months, not longer........

DerDieDas 07.03.2021 17:38

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgianmum (Post 3282824)
Maybe you should practice what you preach?:rolleyes:

That document clearly states on page 39 that benefits can be transferred for a maximum of three months.

Well, thankfully I gave links so whatever mistake I made can be corrected. It is still better than your answer which did not provide any source.

Edit: I have found the document which led me to write 'at least': https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm

I do not know if this is valid between CH and EU but it states the term can be extended under certain conditions. it is certainly worth looking into.

So, no need to be a smart-ass nitpicking what is in affect a very useful post.

DerDieDas 07.03.2021 17:44

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by roegner (Post 3282827)
And you cannot receive RAV and move abroad and then expect to get the Swiss RAV for longer than 3 months and you need to register with the local unemployment agency.


3 months, not longer........

Unfortunately your original post reads as if it is not possible to get Swiss unemployment benefit if you leave Switzerland. That's why it is misleading. You later state in a different post that they can register with a friend yo keep Swiss address which obviously is fraudulent behaviour.

The OP clearly states their intention of permanently leaving and looking to see if they can get benefits where they are. It is best to try and give accurate infotmation or none at all rather than mislead someone.

roegner 07.03.2021 19:02

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DerDieDas (Post 3282894)
Unfortunately your original post reads as if it is not possible to get Swiss unemployment benefit if you leave Switzerland. That's why it is misleading. You later state in a different post that they can register with a friend yo keep Swiss address which obviously is fraudulent behaviour.

The OP clearly states their intention of permanently leaving and looking to see if they can get benefits where they are. It is best to try and give accurate infotmation or none at all rather than mislead someone.

As you did? :D

ZuriRollt 07.03.2021 19:18

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Humph (Post 3282764)
I’m sure this must have been covered, but I couldn’t find anything on it in search- I believe it’s possible to claim chomage while living elsewhere in the EU and seeking work there, is this still correct? Does anyone have experience of this? If it is possible, would I need to still maintain some form of Swiss residency while I did this? I’d probably be moving to and seeking work in Ireland, but just thinking of further possible options, I guess it wouldn’t apply in the UK any more as it’s no longer in the EU? Thanks in advance for any help on this...

Why don’t you question your local unemployment center?

https://www.ch.ch/en/foreign-nationa...d-switzerland/

DerDieDas 07.03.2021 20:29

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by roegner (Post 3282919)
As you did? :D

I am not going to argue anymore with you. Obviously you do not have anything to stand on as you did put in misleading information and you are trying to game it by picking my post. I clearly pointed out in my second post that the 'minimum' 3 month was taken from a source that states it is possible to extend it up to 6 months. Once you start providing sources for statements you make, you can come back and take part in a respectful discussion.

OP, please have a look at the links provided. It is up to you to go to RAV with this information and make sure you follow the procedures to the letter to make sure you get what you are entitled to.

Belgianmum 07.03.2021 20:36

Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DerDieDas (Post 3282971)
I am not going to argue anymore with you. Obviously you do not have anything to stand on as you did put in misleading information and you are trying to game it by picking my post. I clearly pointed out in my second post that the 'minimum' 3 month was taken from a source that states it is possible to extend it up to 6 months. Once you start providing sources for statements you make, you can come back and take part in a respectful discussion.

OP, please have a look at the links provided. It is up to you to go to RAV with this information and make sure you follow the procedures to the letter to make sure you get what you are entitled to.

Can you please post the relevant part where it states that the minimum is three months and that it is possible to extend it up to 6 months for Switzerland?
I can’t find that in either of the links that you posted relating to Switzerland. They all quite clearly state that the maximum is three months and that at the end of the three months you have the possibility to continue claiming unemployment benefit in Switzerland if you become a Swiss resident again.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:58.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0