Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.03.2021, 10:42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 77
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Humph has earned some respectHumph has earned some respect
Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Iím sure this must have been covered, but I couldnít find anything on it in search- I believe itís possible to claim chomage while living elsewhere in the EU and seeking work there, is this still correct? Does anyone have experience of this? If it is possible, would I need to still maintain some form of Swiss residency while I did this? Iíd probably be moving to and seeking work in Ireland, but just thinking of further possible options, I guess it wouldnít apply in the UK any more as itís no longer in the EU? Thanks in advance for any help on this...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.03.2021, 10:46
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,820
Groaned at 386 Times in 324 Posts
Thanked 15,467 Times in 7,133 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

You can transfer it to another EU country (I think after being on RAV for month). You cannot live abroad and claim Swiss RAV, no, you need to be resident here, if only for any meeting/course you may have.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 07.03.2021, 11:07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 77
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Humph has earned some respectHumph has earned some respect
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
You can transfer it to another EU country (I think after being on RAV for month). You cannot live abroad and claim Swiss RAV, no, you need to be resident here, if only for any meeting/course you may have.
If I were to do this, it would very likely be a permanent move from the start (as I seriously doubt Iím going to get a new job here, much though Iíd like to) but Iíd want to take advantage of the chomage for as long as possible (3 months it sounds) while seeking gainful employment in the new country. Iíd need to give notice on my apartment as I couldnít afford to pay loyer here and rent abroad at the same time - but would I actually need a Ďrealí physical address to remain resident? Wonder if it might be possible to give the commune a holding address, say a friends who I could stay with when necessary), and only go through the exit formalities after 3 months.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.03.2021, 11:22
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,820
Groaned at 386 Times in 324 Posts
Thanked 15,467 Times in 7,133 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
If I were to do this, it would very likely be a permanent move from the start (as I seriously doubt Iím going to get a new job here, much though Iíd like to) but Iíd want to take advantage of the chomage for as long as possible (3 months it sounds) while seeking gainful employment in the new country. Iíd need to give notice on my apartment as I couldnít afford to pay loyer here and rent abroad at the same time - but would I actually need a Ďrealí physical address to remain resident? Wonder if it might be possible to give the commune a holding address, say a friends who I could stay with when necessary), and only go through the exit formalities after 3 months.
Not a legal way of doing it if you then still move abroad..... you can register with a friend and still be liable for insurance, taxes etc

Yes, you need a Swiss address and after one month you can move your benefits to another country.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 07.03.2021, 11:38
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,607
Groaned at 115 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 7,389 Times in 3,370 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Do you get the Swiss benefits? Or do you get the amount of an unemployed person in your new country (ie £410 per month in the U.K.) ??
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.03.2021, 12:08
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 343
Groaned at 21 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 404 Times in 187 Posts
Sinking has earned the respect of manySinking has earned the respect of manySinking has earned the respect of many
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
Do you get the Swiss benefits? Or do you get the amount of an unemployed person in your new country (ie £410 per month in the U.K.) ??
You get the insured benefits as if you were in Switzerland.

Infos can be found in the useful link posted above.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Sinking for this post:
  #7  
Old 07.03.2021, 12:20
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuch‚tel
Posts: 14,005
Groaned at 268 Times in 227 Posts
Thanked 23,827 Times in 9,721 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
Do you get the Swiss benefits? Or do you get the amount of an unemployed person in your new country (ie £410 per month in the U.K.) ??
You get the Swiss ones for the three months maximum allowed but you have to send in the monthly forms and register at the unemployment office of the country you move to.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 07.03.2021, 12:06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 343
Groaned at 21 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 404 Times in 187 Posts
Sinking has earned the respect of manySinking has earned the respect of manySinking has earned the respect of many
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
If I were to do this, it would very likely be a permanent move from the start (as I seriously doubt Iím going to get a new job here, much though Iíd like to) but Iíd want to take advantage of the chomage for as long as possible (3 months it sounds) while seeking gainful employment in the new country. Iíd need to give notice on my apartment as I couldnít afford to pay loyer here and rent abroad at the same time - but would I actually need a Ďrealí physical address to remain resident? Wonder if it might be possible to give the commune a holding address, say a friends who I could stay with when necessary), and only go through the exit formalities after 3 months.
If I am not mistaken, the opportunity to export your unemployment benefits temporarily is given to residents for a maximum of three months; which means that if you leave Switzerland, you won't be resident anymore.

This is used, for example, when a Swiss resident cannot find a job in Switzerland but might have better opportunities elsewhere in Europe.

During these 3 months, you will have to keep sending the usual monthly statement in order to get paid. Moreover, you will have to register to the unemployment office of the country where you are looking for work and follow their rules (for example, you might be asked to do 10 job applications a month in Switzerland, but in another country it could be 100 or none at all).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.03.2021, 13:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 851
Groaned at 129 Times in 67 Posts
Thanked 924 Times in 441 Posts
DerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
You can transfer it to another EU country (I think after being on RAV for month). You cannot live abroad and claim Swiss RAV, no, you need to be resident here, if only for any meeting/course you may have.
I wish people did not answer questions when they do not have the correct answers.

It is possible to transfer Swiss unemployment benefit for at least 3 months if you leave Switzerland to an EU/EFTA country.

Here is a document that confirms this (page 39):

https://www.ahv-iv.ch/p/880.e

Before leaving, you must:

have been registered as an unemployed jobseeker with the employment services in the country where you became unemployed for at least 4 weeks (exceptions can be made)
apply to your national employment services for a U2 form (formerly E 303) - an authorisation to export your unemployment benefits.
This authorisation is valid for one country only. If you wish to export your unemployment benefits to another country, you need to apply for another U2 form. Ask your jobcentre whether you have to go back home to apply for this new authorisation or whether you can do it remotely.


Here is the link:

https://www.arbeit.swiss/secoalv/en/...e-eu-efta.html
Reply With Quote
This user groans at DerDieDas for this post:
  #10  
Old 07.03.2021, 13:56
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuch‚tel
Posts: 14,005
Groaned at 268 Times in 227 Posts
Thanked 23,827 Times in 9,721 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
I wish people did not answer questions when they do not have the correct answers.

It is possible to transfer Swiss unemployment benefit for at least 3 months if you leave Switzerland to an EU/EFTA country.

Here is a document that confirms this (page 39):

https://www.ahv-iv.ch/p/880.e
Maybe you should practice what you preach?

That document clearly states on page 39 that benefits can be transferred for a maximum of three months.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
This user groans at Belgianmum for this post:
  #11  
Old 07.03.2021, 17:38
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 851
Groaned at 129 Times in 67 Posts
Thanked 924 Times in 441 Posts
DerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
Maybe you should practice what you preach?

That document clearly states on page 39 that benefits can be transferred for a maximum of three months.
Well, thankfully I gave links so whatever mistake I made can be corrected. It is still better than your answer which did not provide any source.

Edit: I have found the document which led me to write 'at least': https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm

I do not know if this is valid between CH and EU but it states the term can be extended under certain conditions. it is certainly worth looking into.

So, no need to be a smart-ass nitpicking what is in affect a very useful post.

Last edited by DerDieDas; 07.03.2021 at 18:54.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at DerDieDas for this post:
  #12  
Old 07.03.2021, 21:03
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuch‚tel
Posts: 14,005
Groaned at 268 Times in 227 Posts
Thanked 23,827 Times in 9,721 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
Well, thankfully I gave links so whatever mistake I made can be corrected. It is still better than your answer which did not provide any source.

Edit: I have found the document which led me to write 'at least': https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm

I do not know if this is valid between CH and EU but it states the term can be extended under certain conditions. it is certainly worth looking into.

So, no need to be a smart-ass nitpicking what is in affect a very useful post.
Making a comment and then posting links that directly contradict that statement is neither useful nor helpful, itís just confusing.

I wasnít nit-picking, I was pointing out the irony of your post. You berate somebody for posting erroneous information whilst doing exactly the same thing yourself.
If I was being nit-picky Iíd point out that the correct term is Ďin effectí and not Ďin affectí.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Belgianmum for this post:
  #13  
Old 07.03.2021, 14:00
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,820
Groaned at 386 Times in 324 Posts
Thanked 15,467 Times in 7,133 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
I wish people did not answer questions when they do not have the correct answers.

It is possible to transfer Swiss unemployment benefit for at least 3 months if you leave Switzerland to an EU/EFTA country.

Here is a document that confirms this (page 39):

https://www.ahv-iv.ch/p/880.e

Before leaving, you must:

have been registered as an unemployed jobseeker with the employment services in the country where you became unemployed for at least 4 weeks (exceptions can be made)
apply to your national employment services for a U2 form (formerly E 303) - an authorisation to export your unemployment benefits.
This authorisation is valid for one country only. If you wish to export your unemployment benefits to another country, you need to apply for another U2 form. Ask your jobcentre whether you have to go back home to apply for this new authorisation or whether you can do it remotely.


Here is the link:

https://www.arbeit.swiss/secoalv/en/...e-eu-efta.html

And you cannot receive RAV and move abroad and then expect to get the Swiss RAV for longer than 3 months and you need to register with the local unemployment agency.


3 months, not longer........
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
This user groans at roegner for this post:
  #14  
Old 07.03.2021, 17:44
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 851
Groaned at 129 Times in 67 Posts
Thanked 924 Times in 441 Posts
DerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond reputeDerDieDas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
And you cannot receive RAV and move abroad and then expect to get the Swiss RAV for longer than 3 months and you need to register with the local unemployment agency.


3 months, not longer........
Unfortunately your original post reads as if it is not possible to get Swiss unemployment benefit if you leave Switzerland. That's why it is misleading. You later state in a different post that they can register with a friend yo keep Swiss address which obviously is fraudulent behaviour.

The OP clearly states their intention of permanently leaving and looking to see if they can get benefits where they are. It is best to try and give accurate infotmation or none at all rather than mislead someone.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at DerDieDas for this post:
  #15  
Old 07.03.2021, 19:02
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,820
Groaned at 386 Times in 324 Posts
Thanked 15,467 Times in 7,133 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
Unfortunately your original post reads as if it is not possible to get Swiss unemployment benefit if you leave Switzerland. That's why it is misleading. You later state in a different post that they can register with a friend yo keep Swiss address which obviously is fraudulent behaviour.

The OP clearly states their intention of permanently leaving and looking to see if they can get benefits where they are. It is best to try and give accurate infotmation or none at all rather than mislead someone.
As you did?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
This user groans at roegner for this post:
  #16  
Old 07.03.2021, 10:47
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,608
Groaned at 2,592 Times in 1,849 Posts
Thanked 39,704 Times in 18,718 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

As I recall, it's only for max three months, and you must have claimed for at least one month here.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 07.03.2021, 10:56
Mullhollander's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,738
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,699 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

For an English translation of "A Guide to Benefits for Insured Persons Looking for Work Abroad (EU or EFTA Member State)" (Ein Leitfaden fŁr Versicherte - Leistungen bei Arbeitssuche im Ausland (EU- oder EFTA-Mitgliedstaat)), please see post 37 at this link:

https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/277795-rav-application-unemployment-benefit-translated-2.html
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 07.03.2021, 11:07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 77
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Humph has earned some respectHumph has earned some respect
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
For an English translation of "A Guide to Benefits for Insured Persons Looking for Work Abroad (EU or EFTA Member State)" (Ein Leitfaden fŁr Versicherte - Leistungen bei Arbeitssuche im Ausland (EU- oder EFTA-Mitgliedstaat)), please see post 37 at this link:

https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/277795-rav-application-unemployment-benefit-translated-2.html
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07.03.2021, 19:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,689
Groaned at 406 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 6,510 Times in 2,991 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chomage while seeking work and living abroad

Quote:
View Post
I’m sure this must have been covered, but I couldn’t find anything on it in search- I believe it’s possible to claim chomage while living elsewhere in the EU and seeking work there, is this still correct? Does anyone have experience of this? If it is possible, would I need to still maintain some form of Swiss residency while I did this? I’d probably be moving to and seeking work in Ireland, but just thinking of further possible options, I guess it wouldn’t apply in the UK any more as it’s no longer in the EU? Thanks in advance for any help on this...
Why don’t you question your local unemployment center?

https://www.ch.ch/en/foreign-nationa...d-switzerland/
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeking employment from abroad? HerrDoktor Employment 28 10.07.2018 17:07
Gov.uk Verify & living abroad piff Finance/banking/taxation 0 27.06.2016 09:07
My work situation and possible chŰmage. jesuisuntouriste Permits/visas/government 32 08.04.2016 08:27
Swiss living abroad GoldenPei Introductions 2 31.03.2015 22:42
Moving Cantons - how will this work claiming chomage connie Employment 0 16.04.2010 17:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0