Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.03.2021, 19:47
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toffiee has no particular reputation at present
Notice Period - Quitting job

Hey all,

I have an internship position and in my contract it states that I need to give a 3 month notice at the end of the month before leaving my job. I had to quit the job due to some personal reasons (emotionally and physically I was very drained) however, I kindly asked them to leave me earlier because this is an intern position and also due to my health situation, I am unable to fulfill this notice period. I told them I am happy to continue working for 2-2 and a half months more. But I am curious, what happens if they do not allow it and I quit anyways? What are the legal enforcements? I also have 20 days of leave left. Can I use them if they do not let me go? I am all over the place..
Thank you all!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.03.2021, 22:31
leonie
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Notice Period - Quitting job

You could be requested to work the full notice period, and get payed for the vacation days. But in my experience it is possible to make the deal with the employer to leave earlier. I don’t know what happens if you decide to leave before the notice period ends without the agreement with the company. I guess they could make you cover the expenses, and for sure you will damage your reputation by doing this.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.03.2021, 22:50
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,797
Groaned at 433 Times in 336 Posts
Thanked 17,895 Times in 10,008 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice Period - Quitting job

Bear in mind that if you want to claim unemployment payments, quitting will result in a penalty of a specified number of days before you start receiving said unemployment payments.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17.03.2021, 00:38
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice Period - Quitting job

Quote:
View Post
Hey all,

I have an internship position and in my contract it states that I need to give a 3 month notice at the end of the month before leaving my job. I had to quit the job due to some personal reasons (emotionally and physically I was very drained) however, I kindly asked them to leave me earlier because this is an intern position and also due to my health situation, I am unable to fulfill this notice period. I told them I am happy to continue working for 2-2 and a half months more. But I am curious, what happens if they do not allow it and I quit anyways? What are the legal enforcements? I also have 20 days of leave left. Can I use them if they do not let me go? I am all over the place..
Thank you all!
Maybe you're a little upset and got it mixed up but the way you wrote it, you simply want to leave 2 weeks earlier than the notice period. If so your request doesn't make sense as - with 20 days vacation - you would even leave 4 weeks earlier hen leaving orderly.
Vacation can not be paid out unless both parties agree. Vacation is for the employee to recuperate - and you are drained = you will not agree.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 17.03.2021, 10:52
cremebrulee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 437
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 389 Times in 170 Posts
cremebrulee has an excellent reputationcremebrulee has an excellent reputationcremebrulee has an excellent reputationcremebrulee has an excellent reputation
Re: Notice Period - Quitting job

My understanding is the same as @curley. You are happy to work for another 2-2.5 months, but not 3 months?

It seems a fair agreement would be for you to work 2 months and be paid for 1 month (20 days) vacation. If you're lucky, they might agree with you on a shorter notice period, but this is not common as you both agreed to the notice period at the beginning of the employment contract.

In some (rare) cases, both parties can agree to terminate immediately, but then you won't be paid for your notice period, so you will be without an income immediately.

Generally, employers will agree to a shorter notice period if you are transferring within the same company or group of companies. If you are simply quitting, it puts them in a difficult position because they need time to find your replacement, hence the notice period.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17.03.2021, 11:15
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Around Lake Zurich
Posts: 6,406
Groaned at 42 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 6,564 Times in 3,002 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice Period - Quitting job

If you are experiencing 'burnout' then actually it's not the right time to quit - are you getting medical/therapeutic support ? Can you walk into another job ? If you quit, you will not be entitled to sick leave...



I would recommend speaking to your doctor first... If you are entitled to sick leave then you should use it.



If you are entitled to unemployment insurance then you need to talk to RAV immediately - you actually cannot take a 'holiday' - you need to walk out of one job and go find another and start as soon as possible...unless you have enough money or someone else who will pay your bills until you find another job.


If it's a low-paid internship (Practikant?) - then certainly you need to be treated better in the workplace to avoid burnout. It may also be possible that your employer was not providing adequate working conditions, or under-paying you for your work.


I worked in childcare the past 10 years. We expect young people, who are adapting to the world of work, to have many days off and your job should be not so burdensome that it's making you permanently sick... and internship should not be so burdensome...it's supposed to be a training position and supervision should be provided to avoid this burnout...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank swisspea for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 17.03.2021, 12:13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 343
Groaned at 21 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 404 Times in 187 Posts
Sinking has earned the respect of manySinking has earned the respect of manySinking has earned the respect of many
Re: Notice Period - Quitting job

Quote:
View Post
If you are experiencing 'burnout' then actually it's not the right time to quit - are you getting medical/therapeutic support ? Can you walk into another job ? If you quit, you will not be entitled to sick leave...



I would recommend speaking to your doctor first... If you are entitled to sick leave then you should use it.



If you are entitled to unemployment insurance then you need to talk to RAV immediately - you actually cannot take a 'holiday' - you need to walk out of one job and go find another and start as soon as possible...unless you have enough money or someone else who will pay your bills until you find another job.


If it's a low-paid internship (Practikant?) - then certainly you need to be treated better in the workplace to avoid burnout. It may also be possible that your employer was not providing adequate working conditions, or under-paying you for your work.


I worked in childcare the past 10 years. We expect young people, who are adapting to the world of work, to have many days off and your job should be not so burdensome that it's making you permanently sick... and internship should not be so burdensome...it's supposed to be a training position and supervision should be provided to avoid this burnout...
My understanding is that he already quit, but I might be wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17.03.2021, 12:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,907
Groaned at 76 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 2,025 Times in 1,178 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice Period - Quitting job

Quote:
View Post
My understanding is that he already quit, but I might be wrong.
I think he's asked to quit with specific conditions and is waiting to find out if it's accepted or not.

In any case I don't think there would be any problem as his vacation days will cover the shortened effective notice period, as others write.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quitting job, fulfilling notice period boinker Employment 10 06.11.2019 18:34
Quitting, notice period, not the usual case Arthur Employment 17 27.02.2019 08:53
Sublease contract for 1 year - no notice period ? or exit fees with notice period? Hlathgerth Housing in general 4 28.04.2018 15:33
Notice period for apartment [Kundigungsfrist]: moving out before the 3 months notice Nukles85 Housing in general 13 12.03.2015 15:22
Quitting in probation period tintin26 Employment 1 20.12.2014 11:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0