Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.10.2009, 13:23
Blindgirl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 113
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 74 Times in 23 Posts
Blindgirl has made some interesting contributions
Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Hi there, we are family of 4 (hubby, myself, 4y.o. and a newborn). Husband has been offered perm job in Zurich.

Offer is CHF 130,000 plus lump sum for relocation. I wonder if someone can tell me if this is descent money for the 1st year while I am not working? we will need to pay rent accomodation, prob car, food etc, kindergarten..

also how much money we would expect to get for relocation from the UK?

thank you very much.

Last edited by jrspet; 07.10.2009 at 13:26. Reason: Fixed typo - substituted period with a comma in the salary amount
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.10.2009, 13:27
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Quote:
View Post
Hi there, we are family of 4 (hubby, myself, 4y.o. and a newborn). Husband has been offered perm job in Zurich.

Offer is CHF 130.000 plus lump sum for relocation. I wonder if someone can tell me if this is descent money for the 1st year while I am not working? we will need to pay rent accomodation, prob car, food etc, kindergarten..

also how much money we would expect to get for relocation from the UK?

thank you very much.
there have been many many many threads of the same nature on here - maybe have a little look around these other threads to get a comparison of wages versus cost of living, it's a hard one to answer really as it's a kind of how long is a piece of string kind of question

It depends on how much you survive on now and what type of life you lead

Many people would love to have a salary of 130k a year and many families of 4 survive on a LOT less

Regards relocation we had ours paid for and i think we were given a budget of up to 10kCHF and it cost us around 8kCHF and that was for a family of 2 with not much stuff
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.10.2009, 13:31
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,158
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,084 Times in 10,583 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Quote:
View Post
there have been many many many threads of the same nature on here - maybe have a little look around these other threads to get a comparison of wages versus cost of living, it's a hard one to answer really as it's a kind of how long is a piece of string kind of question snipped...........
This is about double the average Swiss salary (for one person)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.10.2009, 13:31
Blindgirl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 113
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 74 Times in 23 Posts
Blindgirl has made some interesting contributions
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

hi Nicky and thanks! I will search forum it is just time an isssue for me ;-( with kids etc

I'd say our main expenses would be flat in nice area so i can walk everywhere with kids (parks, playgrounds, tots groups), med insurance, foodclothes, and bills. not much of dinning out because of little ones.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.10.2009, 14:14
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,553
Groaned at 164 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Loads of people survive on less, with bigger families.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Uncle Max for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 07.10.2009, 14:35
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,680
Groaned at 65 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

https://calculators.credit-suisse.co...tax.do?lang=en

My finger in the air calculation says,

On a 130000, you pay 21,241 tax

130000 - 21,241 = 108759
108759 / 12 = 9063 a month

Rent = 3000
Bills = 500
Food = 800
Insurance = 800
Travel = 400 (kids under 6 travel free and 400 a months gets a you a GA - free travel anywhere in Switzerland)

Anyway you look at it there is a lot of money left over...even if my calculations are really low.
Also 130000.-chf is about 60,000 quid if that makes it any easier.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.10.2009, 14:40
ullainga's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: around Basel
Posts: 1,579
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 2,189 Times in 911 Posts
ullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

don't forget to check out childcare options right away. it's very expensive and a lot of places also have long waiting lists
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.10.2009, 14:53
Blindgirl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 113
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 74 Times in 23 Posts
Blindgirl has made some interesting contributions
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

thank you so much to everyone who replied. Planthead your calculation is very very helpful.

I looking up childcare options now.
thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.10.2009, 15:10
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Quote:
View Post
Also 130000.-chf is about 60,000 quid if that makes it any easier.

Erm, hardly. Have you seen the Sterling-CHF exchange rate recently? Sfr.130k is closer to £80k.
It doesn't change your calculation, which is very helpful, but it is misleading if you're trying to compare UK and CH salaries.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07.10.2009, 15:15
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,553
Groaned at 164 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

CHF800 on food for a family is kinda conservative. CHF3000 on rent is also upper-level.

I recently kept all my food and restaurant receipts for a month and had to lie down once I worked out how much was spent. Out went nice wine in restaurants every time, in came left overs at home
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07.10.2009, 17:00
Blindgirl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 113
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 74 Times in 23 Posts
Blindgirl has made some interesting contributions
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

thanks again for all your replies. I am getting mixed responce here, obviously because it is money question.

we are not extravagant in our spending and i just need to figure out if we are going to be ok.
For example, it seems that we might end up renting in Seefeld area for the first few months; just normal day to day life, nursery runs, tot etc. no restaurants, maybe ocassional coffee and cake. Some of you who emailed me privately saying that we will need to plan our budget carefully.
Is that so?

Uncle Max - CHF 800 is too much for food or not enough?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07.10.2009, 17:13
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Evian France
Posts: 753
Groaned at 16 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 516 Times in 295 Posts
evianers is considered knowledgeableevianers is considered knowledgeableevianers is considered knowledgeable
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Obviously money is important - you want to be reassured that CHF130,000 will cover all your expenses. However, quality of life is equally important. Last evening, there was an interesting report on Hedge Fund Managers relocating from London to Geneva and Zug. The person interviewed said "Zug 9 out of 10, London 3 out of 10". Only you are able to determine whether London has a better quality of life than Glasgow but hopefully this might just persuade you to relocate. Zuerich is a vibrant city, the children will grow up bi-lingual and there are loads of English-speaking clubs etc. Go for it. You'll probably [hopefully] never look back.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank evianers for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 07.10.2009, 17:19
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Quote:
View Post
don't forget to check out childcare options right away. it's very expensive and a lot of places also have long waiting lists
That is correct. I wanted to say that Kindergarten( Kinderkrippe )
can cost up to 100-120 Swiss Francs per day.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07.10.2009, 17:22
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,683
Groaned at 35 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 6,933 Times in 2,239 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Quote:
View Post
Uncle Max - CHF 800 is too much for food or not enough?
800 is low for a family of four.

Food is seriously expensive in Switzerland, particularly when compared to the price of food in the UK. The most dramatic differences are for fresh meat, vegetables and prepared foods.

In the UK, my rule of thumb was that I could normally stick to a budget of around GBP 10 for dinner for two. Here in Switzerland, I can never seem to get out of the supermarket for less than CHF 25 for two. I'm not saying it can't be done -- just that it costs a lot more to eat the same things we enjoyed eating in the UK. We also eat far less meat than we used to.

Still, I'm delighted at having made the decision to come here and wouldn't change it for the world. Zurich is a wonderful city...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 07.10.2009, 17:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Quote:
View Post
800 is low for a family of four.

Food is seriously expensive in Switzerland, particularly when compared to the price of food in the UK. The most dramatic differences are for fresh meat, vegetables and prepared foods.

In the UK, my rule of thumb was that I could normally stick to a budget of around GBP 10 for dinner for two. Here in Switzerland, I can never seem to get out of the supermarket for less than CHF 25 for two. I'm not saying it can't be done -- just that it costs a lot more to eat the same things we enjoyed eating in the UK. We also eat far less meat than we used to.

Still, I'm delighted at having made the decision to come here and wouldn't change it for the world. Zurich is a wonderful city...
Zuri, or Basel, VI? Your profile says Basel ...

PS That was a trick question. They're both wonderful cities.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 07.10.2009, 17:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,471
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,189 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Quote:
View Post
thanks again for all your replies. I am getting mixed responce here, obviously because it is money question.

we are not extravagant in our spending and i just need to figure out if we are going to be ok.
For example, it seems that we might end up renting in Seefeld area for the first few months; just normal day to day life, nursery runs, tot etc. no restaurants, maybe ocassional coffee and cake. Some of you who emailed me privately saying that we will need to plan our budget carefully.
Is that so?

Uncle Max - CHF 800 is too much for food or not enough?
Renting a family sized place in Seefeld might be a challenge for CHF 3k a month. Grocery shopping for a family of 3 will be more than CHF 800 a month, more like CHF 1000 plus. Private nursery costs are around CHF 110 a day. For 2 kids just 3 days a week that's 3k a month Add to that car expenses, days out and work meals for your husband you can easily spend the entire salary if you are not careful.

We manage to live here rather cheaply. I've never made a budget but had a few shocks at the end of the month when I see what i've managed to spend.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07.10.2009, 17:39
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,553
Groaned at 164 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Quote:
View Post
... Add to that car expenses, days out and work meals for your husband you can easily spend the entire salary if you are not careful...
Well, one consolation is you won't need a car

CHF800 is kinda low for a family, unless you exclude wine and meat. As mentioned, the nursery alone will eat your disposable income.

However, loads and loads of people live happy lives with their families here on far lower salaries, so don't be put off. Come over and live the dream.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07.10.2009, 19:21
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,680
Groaned at 65 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Quote:
View Post
Erm, hardly. Have you seen the Sterling-CHF exchange rate recently? Sfr.130k is closer to £80k.
It doesn't change your calculation, which is very helpful, but it is misleading if you're trying to compare UK and CH salaries.

Should have qualified my comment...130000 would be equivalent in my world to a salary of 60,000 pounds with Swiss tax. I was ignoring the exchange rate on purpose, it changes a lot, 2 years ago it would have been about 52000 quid, a figure which I feel is closer to the real value.

Stick more on the food bill if you like, perhaps 200 a week (excluding restaurants and booze) was low, whichever way, there is still a lot of leeway in that budget.

Also 3k on rent would get you a 4 room apartment but not in a tip top postal address, think more 3500 to 4000 for something around Seefeld, Enge etc.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07.10.2009, 20:51
JKUser's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Western Switzerland
Posts: 61
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 36 Times in 18 Posts
JKUser has no particular reputation at present
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Quote:
View Post
Hi there, we are family of 4 (hubby, myself, 4y.o. and a newborn). Husband has been offered perm job in Zurich.

Offer is CHF 130,000 plus lump sum for relocation. I wonder if someone can tell me if this is descent money for the 1st year while I am not working? we will need to pay rent accomodation, prob car, food etc, kindergarten..

also how much money we would expect to get for relocation from the UK?

thank you very much.
My family profile is similar to yours (2 kids and a wife who wants to work but will probably have to do voluntary work for a while) and I get around the same pay. I lost the car and don't plan to get a new one in the foreseeable future. I also ruled out International School because I felt the kids would get a "richer" experience by learning the local languages for free and quite frankly I would rather have 30K a year more in my pocket if I can help it

I think it's manageable as long as you invest time in discovering the right options to save (like bulk shopping in France or Germany). Relocation, let your company cover all the removal costs and arrangements as it's much easier and will help you settle in much quicker. German lessons as part of the relocation can also be very useful. A nice lump sum to cover subtle moving costs such as selling (or renting) your house, car and spending more than you should in the first few months as well as paying up to 3 times the rental as a deposit would also be helpful but I guess it also depends on your company policy. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07.10.2009, 22:23
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,553
Groaned at 164 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job offer - Your Feedback Please

Quote:
View Post
... I also ruled out International School because I felt the kids would get a "richer" experience by learning the local languages for free and quite frankly I would rather have 30K a year more in my pocket if I can help it
I really admire your honesty.

Quote:
View Post
...spending more than you should in the first few months as well as paying up to 3 times the rental as a deposit would also be helpful but I guess it also depends on your company policy. Good luck!!
These are really useful points, often overlooked.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Uncle Max for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
living costs




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Job interviews (smart company brochures and expected feedback) martin34 Complaints corner 6 11.01.2009 17:01
Job offer Delphinium Blue Jokes/funnies 0 07.10.2008 21:17
can non EU taking up second job offer?? Joyce Permits/visas/government 6 20.03.2008 09:34
Job [unexplained delays in feedback] saint Employment 14 22.02.2008 08:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0