Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.10.2009, 13:57
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
KiwiT has no particular reputation at present
Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

Can anyone help me find out
- how my teaching qualifications can be recognised by cantons, and
- if this is required in order for me to teach in a bilingual school.
I am a teacher with a BEd and many years experience teaching in primary schools. I have not started working full time in Switzerland yet.

I have recently been offered a job as a team leader in a bilingual school, but I have been told that I must have my qualifications recognised before I can take full responsibility of a class as well as get an increase in my salary which is starting o what I believe to be below what it should be. I have been told this is a legal requirement from the canton. Interestingly enough, I have also been told by a reliable source that this is not required in international schools.

I have been given a couple of links by the school offering me the job
http://www.edk.ch/dyn/12933.php & [FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] http://www.bbt.admin.ch/themen/hoehere/00169/00371/index.html?lang=en
From what I have read in both websites, I need to have a certain level of
[/FONT] proficiency[FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] in speaking French, German or Italian in order to for me to be recognised as a teacher. I am at introductory stage of learning German and have been told by the school that I only need to be proficient in English because that is what I am teaching. But this means that I still won't be recognised as a teacher.

Can anyone help clarify what exactly do I need in order to full the position I have been offered?

KiwiT
[/FONT]
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.10.2009, 14:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 98
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
sanju4u has made some interesting contributions
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

Hey Kiwit,
Even I am also science graduate( Physics, Chemistry, Maths) and have a B.Ed degree.
I have more than 4 yrs of experience in teaching in Primary as well as secondary sections in my country.
I was also told the same.
If you find answers of your questions please help me too.
thanks and sorry for not helping you with your queries,but here are many persons who can help you.
thanks






Quote:
View Post
Can anyone help me find out
- how my teaching qualifications can be recognised by cantons, and
- if this is required in order for me to teach in a bilingual school.
I am a teacher with a BEd and many years experience teaching in primary schools. I have not started working full time in Switzerland yet.

I have recently been offered a job as a team leader in a bilingual school, but I have been told that I must have my qualifications recognised before I can take full responsibility of a class as well as get an increase in my salary which is starting o what I believe to be below what it should be. I have been told this is a legal requirement from the canton. Interestingly enough, I have also been told by a reliable source that this is not required in international schools.

I have been given a couple of links by the school offering me the job
http://www.edk.ch/dyn/12933.php & [FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] http://www.bbt.admin.ch/themen/hoehere/00169/00371/index.html?lang=en
From what I have read in both websites, I need to have a certain level of
[/font] proficiency[FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] in speaking French, German or Italian in order to for me to be recognised as a teacher. I am at introductory stage of learning German and have been told by the school that I only need to be proficient in English because that is what I am teaching. But this means that I still won't be recognised as a teacher.

Can anyone help clarify what exactly do I need in order to full the position I have been offered?

KiwiT
[/font]
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.10.2009, 14:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

Sounds dodgy to me. I've been working in canton-recognised bilingual schools for four years, and have never had to deal with the organisations mentioned in the links (despite having been told by a previous employer that it was 'essential'!)

Though I reckon I know which school you've applied to...

PM me, if you like.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.10.2009, 14:44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
KiwiT has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

Quote:
View Post
Hey Kiwit,
Even I am also science graduate( Physics, Chemistry, Maths) and have a B.Ed degree.
I have more than 4 yrs of experience in teaching in Primary as well as secondary sections in my country.
I was also told the same.
If you find answers of your questions please help me too.
thanks and sorry for not helping you with your queries,but here are many persons who can help you.
thanks
You don't need your qualifications recognised by the canton or Swiss qualifications authority in order to work in international schools. What is the difference between these private educational institutes and others?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.10.2009, 14:45
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Baden
Posts: 187
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 163 Times in 83 Posts
Crofty has earned the respect of manyCrofty has earned the respect of manyCrofty has earned the respect of many
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

If you have a teaching qualification from an EU country and you want to teach in the state schools here, you have to complete one of the forms in your link (and pay several hundred CHFs) and pass a language test. Your teaching qualification will then be recognised here.

However, I assume that your bilingual school is not a state school and therefore I'm fairly sure these rules do not apply.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.10.2009, 14:50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 98
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
sanju4u has made some interesting contributions
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

Quote:
View Post
If you have a teaching qualification from an EU country and you want to teach in the state schools here, you have to complete one of the forms in your link (and pay several hundred CHFs) and pass a language test. Your teaching qualification will then be recognised here.

However, I assume that your bilingual school is not a state school and therefore I'm fairly sure these rules do not apply.
Hi, thanks for the information.
But can any one help with the links of some bilingual schools in Luzern or Zurich or near by, so that one can directly apply to those schools.
Do the bilingual schools need German proficiency ?
thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.10.2009, 14:57
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
KiwiT has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

Quote:
View Post
If you have a teaching qualification from an EU country and you want to teach in the state schools here, you have to complete one of the forms in your link (and pay several hundred CHFs) and pass a language test. Your teaching qualification will then be recognised here.

However, I assume that your bilingual school is not a state school and therefore I'm fairly sure these rules do not apply.

That's what I thought too.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank KiwiT for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 20.10.2009, 22:17
Pepper's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 312
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 113 Times in 92 Posts
Pepper is considered knowledgeablePepper is considered knowledgeablePepper is considered knowledgeable
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

When I was interviewed by a bilingual school in Zurich they also told me that I would need to get my teaching qualification (EU) recognised. However I didn't accept a job with that school so I don't know what would have happened.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20.10.2009, 22:30
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,767
Groaned at 81 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

How old are the children you were going to teach? If the school goes under the classification as Krippe you need to be qualified.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.10.2009, 22:34
cbb's Avatar
cbb cbb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK (ex CH)
Posts: 421
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 81 Times in 43 Posts
cbb has earned the respect of manycbb has earned the respect of manycbb has earned the respect of many
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

Well this will be interesting. I am currently in an International school so as yet have not come up against this. I am currently studying French with a view to gaining employment in the state sector in the future. I didn't realise it would be difficult as I am fully qualified (PGCE). Looks like I should think again.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20.10.2009, 22:59
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Baden
Posts: 187
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 163 Times in 83 Posts
Crofty has earned the respect of manyCrofty has earned the respect of manyCrofty has earned the respect of many
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

Quote:
Well this will be interesting. I am currently in an International school so as yet have not come up against this. I am currently studying French with a view to gaining employment in the state sector in the future. I didn't realise it would be difficult as I am fully qualified (PGCE). Looks like I should think again.

Don't give up! The form is not too difficult, it simply asks whether you have covered various concepts and how many hours/days/weeks you spent studying them. All the concepts were covered in my PGCE course or during my professional development training. I'm sure you will have done everything the form asks of you.

Now speaking German, that's the hard bit.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.10.2009, 23:19
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 6,109
Groaned at 39 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 6,023 Times in 2,804 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

Is the job primary schooling/kindergarten/preschool/longdaycare/krippe...?

this will affect which 'accreditation' you need...

I believe that there is an exemption for English-speaking degree-qualified primary school teachers working in English speaking positions in bilingual/international schools in Canton Zurich...I do not know about other Cantons. If the school is 'under quota' for qualified/recognised staff then they are going to be in a hurry to get the paperwork done, if they meet their quota, then it could be a long time before your paperwork goes through...

Quite frankly I would be unimpressed with a school recruiting someone for a 'team leader' position then delaying paying them the full salary based on the position because you don't meet the local requirement for language profiency - I know it's not always that simple, but either you are employed/qualified/appropriate for the position, and you are paid accordingly, or you are not employed/qualified/appropriate...

I'd imagine once they get you in the door, the parents will assume you are fully qualified, you'll be expected to do the job as if you had all the paperwork, but the school has no incentive to fix your papers up because then they'd have to pay you more

Make sure you are being paid an appropriate salary to match your qualifications and experience...they should not use the 'doesn't meet language requirements' as an excuse to underpay...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank swisspea for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 21.10.2009, 16:55
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
KiwiT has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

Quote:
View Post
How old are the children you were going to teach? If the school goes under the classification as Krippe you need to be qualified.
The ages range from 6 months to 6 years.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21.10.2009, 16:57
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
KiwiT has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

Quote:
View Post
Well this will be interesting. I am currently in an International school so as yet have not come up against this. I am currently studying French with a view to gaining employment in the state sector in the future. I didn't realise it would be difficult as I am fully qualified (PGCE). Looks like I should think again.
I think if you can speak C1 level French or German, your qualifications will be recognised.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 21.10.2009, 16:59
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
KiwiT has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working in Switzerland as a Teacher

Quote:
View Post
Don't give up! The form is not too difficult, it simply asks whether you have covered various concepts and how many hours/days/weeks you spent studying them. All the concepts were covered in my PGCE course or during my professional development training. I'm sure you will have done everything the form asks of you.

Now speaking German, that's the hard bit.
Yes, I should stop procrastinating and continue my studies of the language.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
teaching in switzerland




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teacher licensure in Switzerland? Helvetico Employment 22 16.11.2009 13:35
looking for Portuguese teacher working in Switzerland pinky31 Other/general 1 22.06.2009 13:47
Chance of working as a teacher if non-EU??? Guest Employment 5 23.12.2008 13:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0