Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 31.08.2017, 17:36
brooklyngirl9's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 7 Posts
brooklyngirl9 has earned some respectbrooklyngirl9 has earned some respect
Re: Info for nurses looking to work in switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
I also received this notice in my package and was wondering if anyone has further information on it... so I received a "nein" to FH but a yes to "HF" Annerkenung provided I send them a B2 German certificate. HOWEVER... I am also supposed to submit my work permit before they give me a "yes"

My current work permit expires in a few weeks and I am going back to Canada. I cannot get a new one unless I have the recognition which is required to apply for a job... seems backwards to me. My boyfriend and I have discussed marriage but I'd rather not do a shotgun wedding in the next 12 months just to have the possibility of registration.

Anyone had luck with this? Obviously I need a permit eventually but you would think the recognition would be first. Makes no sense
Just an update: I had a face to face encounter with someone from the SRK who told us that a foreign nurse will NEVER be able to get an FH recognition, PERIOD. So yes, it will only be the HF recognition given out.

As for the work permit thing, the SRK is only interested in awarding recognition to those who can already legally reside and work in Switzerland. So it does makes sense that that would be a requirement for the recognition process. (Although the general lack of nursing staff is an issue that Switzerland and many countries are currently facing. It would make sense for the SRK to make this a more streamlined process... but that's another story all together).

My best recommendation is to try to find either:
A) a non-medical job
B) a medical job at a lower function (Pflegehelferin, FaGe or Praktikantin) in the meantime, so you can obtain a new B permit.
OR
C) Ask your current employer if there is any possibility of extending your current work visa.

Keep in mind that in order to continue with the rest of the recognition process, you must have a job in the healthcare setting; either, simultaneously with attending the continuing education course (Pflegen in der Schweiz) OR after you attend the class for a total period of 6 months. You must be employed at either 80 or 100% and attend school 20%.

Hope that helps clarify things. I am currently working in a hospital and attending the course they require. I will be finished with everything in the beginning of March, so I hope to have the official recognition shortly after. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

The SRK has also been informed that their website is incredibly disorganized and not clear and they told the class that they will work on... so there's that lol
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank brooklyngirl9 for this useful post:
  #122  
Old 21.05.2018, 03:43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bern
Posts: 47
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
dasdasdas has no particular reputation at present
Re: Info for nurses looking to work in switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
Just an update: I had a face to face encounter with someone from the SRK who told us that a foreign nurse will NEVER be able to get an FH recognition, PERIOD. So yes, it will only be the HF recognition given out.

As for the work permit thing, the SRK is only interested in awarding recognition to those who can already legally reside and work in Switzerland. So it does makes sense that that would be a requirement for the recognition process. (Although the general lack of nursing staff is an issue that Switzerland and many countries are currently facing. It would make sense for the SRK to make this a more streamlined process... but that's another story all together).

My best recommendation is to try to find either:
A) a non-medical job
B) a medical job at a lower function (Pflegehelferin, FaGe or Praktikantin) in the meantime, so you can obtain a new B permit.
OR
C) Ask your current employer if there is any possibility of extending your current work visa.

Keep in mind that in order to continue with the rest of the recognition process, you must have a job in the healthcare setting; either, simultaneously with attending the continuing education course (Pflegen in der Schweiz) OR after you attend the class for a total period of 6 months. You must be employed at either 80 or 100% and attend school 20%.

Hope that helps clarify things. I am currently working in a hospital and attending the course they require. I will be finished with everything in the beginning of March, so I hope to have the official recognition shortly after. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

The SRK has also been informed that their website is incredibly disorganized and not clear and they told the class that they will work on... so there's that lol
Sorry I just saw this now!!! So late. I'm back in Canada. I got so frustrated with the process to be honest and my work permit ran out. What is the difference between HF and FH in terms of what you can do? Would it be like RPN/LPN vs RN in North America? If I couldn't do things like push meds or give blood I probably wouldn't even want to be recognized and go to do something totally different. Knowing my personality I would always be annoyed lol
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 01.01.2019, 21:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Karakatica has no particular reputation at present
Re: Info for nurses looking to work in switzerland.

Hi to all! Happy New Year Does anyone knows about changes in the process of admission for foreign trained nursing personnel to frenchspeaking cantons? With the greatest luck I got, I postponed the "transatlantic" project only to find out that recruting agency in Quebec halted their hiring process. I am wondering whether I could have a chance by starting looking for an employer independantly. It would be nice to know about "undeground currents" and weight out odds of getting a job. Any thought of the areas where non EU RN has highest chances of getting hired? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 02.01.2019, 09:41
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 19,832
Groaned at 348 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 14,383 Times in 8,272 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Info for nurses looking to work in switzerland.

Have you had your qualifications recognised by the Swiss Red Cross?
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 02.01.2019, 17:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Karakatica has no particular reputation at present
Re: Info for nurses looking to work in switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
Have you had your qualifications recognised by the Swiss Red Cross?
Not yet, because one of the initial steps of recognition process requires candidates to submit their permit B which, I belive should be linked to a job offer . Previously, nurses from Quebec were able to obtain job offers through agency. Currently this agency is not working with QC anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 02.01.2019, 18:37
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 8,546
Groaned at 49 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 13,200 Times in 6,115 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Info for nurses looking to work in switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
Not yet, because one of the initial steps of recognition process requires candidates to submit their permit B which, I belive should be linked to a job offer . Previously, nurses from Quebec were able to obtain job offers through agency. Currently this agency is not working with QC anymore.
See the recent posts by Brooklyngirl9 and dasdasdas, just above. It sounds like the process has been made more difficult, possibly due to the vote to curb immigration.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 02.01.2019, 19:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Karakatica has no particular reputation at present
Re: Info for nurses looking to work in switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
See the recent posts by Brooklyngirl9 and dasdasdas, just above. It sounds like the process has been made more difficult, possibly due to the vote to curb immigration.
Thanks, that is correct some changes has been in place because of curb on immigration and, perhaps, Brexit. Although there is no 100% guarantie, I think that SRK credentials recognition will be possible once I find a job. HR of major hospitals encouraged me to apply directly but I was thinking of augmenting my chances by targeting some "unpopular" places suffering from severe shortages who might be more open to hire 3d state professionals.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 02.01.2019, 19:34
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 8,546
Groaned at 49 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 13,200 Times in 6,115 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Info for nurses looking to work in switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, that is correct some changes has been in place because of curb on immigration and, perhaps, Brexit. Although there is no 100% guarantie, I think that SRK credentials recognition will be possible once I find a job. HR of major hospitals encouraged me to apply directly but I was thinking of augmenting my chances by targeting some "unpopular" places suffering from severe shortages who might be more open to hire 3d state professionals.
It never hurts to try, right? All it costs to apply is your time. Somewhere up-thread there was a gal who had gotten a job doing so-called "lower-level" caring while she worked towards meeting the requirements of the SRK. If you're willing to do that, it might get your foot in the door.

Do you happen to have EU citizenship in addition to Canadian? An EU or Swiss spouse, perhaps? If not, the problem you're going to run into is that any employer has to go through the non-EU hiring process. They might be reluctant to do so if your qualifications haven't been recognized.

Have you considered other European countries where they speak French? I don't know, maybe if your qualifications are recognized by France or Belgium and you work there first, the Swiss won't fuss so much?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #129  
Old 10.01.2019, 16:30
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
antsyashley has no particular reputation at present
Re: Info for nurses looking to work in switzerland.

Hi all,

Just thought I would jump in here. I have a BSN from the USA and worked as an oncology RN in New Orleans. I live in Geneva, and have just passed the B2 French exam and submitted my application in December to the Red Cross to recognize my nursing license here.

Reading your posts about an internship and a 5000 CHF adaptation course in addition to 1000 CHF to the Red Cross is making me uneasy. Do ALL recognized nurses have to take this course, or is it for certain people with/without certain qualifications?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 11.01.2019, 02:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Karakatica has no particular reputation at present
Re: Info for nurses looking to work in switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

Just thought I would jump in here. I have a BSN from the USA and worked as an oncology RN in New Orleans. I live in Geneva, and have just passed the B2 French exam and submitted my application in December to the Red Cross to recognize my nursing license here.

Reading your posts about an internship and a 5000 CHF adaptation course in addition to 1000 CHF to the Red Cross is making me uneasy. Do ALL recognized nurses have to take this course, or is it for certain people with/without certain qualifications?

Thanks!
Hi, I am not sure 100% but i think it depends because nurses recruited from Quebec did not have to pay for any course. My friend only paid for visa and, maybe for recognition, but i am not sure again as fees might have been partially covered by the agency. However, recruitment is halted for now due to changes in admission requirements for foreign nurses to Switzerland so best would clarify with RC.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 11.01.2019, 09:25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
antsyashley has no particular reputation at present
Re: Info for nurses looking to work in switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
Hi, I am not sure 100% but i think it depends because nurses recruited from Quebec did not have to pay for any course. My friend only paid for visa and, maybe for recognition, but i am not sure again as fees might have been partially covered by the agency. However, recruitment is halted for now due to changes in admission requirements for foreign nurses to Switzerland so best way to figure out would be to clarify with RC.
Thanks for your reply. When you say they were "recruited" - was there a specific hospital that reached out to recruit Canadian nurses?
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 11.01.2019, 15:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Karakatica has no particular reputation at present
Re: Info for nurses looking to work in switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your reply. When you say they were "recruited" - was there a specific hospital that reached out to recruit Canadian nurses?
Yes, CHUV
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diploma recognisition, health, job, jobs, nurse, nursing diploma, nursing qualification




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work in Switzerland, Live in Germany Penguin Family matters/health 10 05.02.2008 15:53
Expats in Zurich...full of Swissies? Lob Other/general 36 10.01.2008 10:40
Moving to Switzerland from Australia and looking for IT/IS work AnAustralian Employment 5 11.04.2007 00:49
Polish lady, here since 1999 - can she work? runway Permits/visas/government 10 10.02.2007 17:12


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0